• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dude

I didn't think playing with only 2 sensors was THAT limiting, it wasn't a complete scale but I had plenty of fun while waiting for my 3rd.

Soi-Fong

Playing with 2 sensors is pretty underwhelming. ... and all sensors are sold out. :/

I think I see their strategy here. Nope, not falling for it.

There's an experimental 360 setup that uses two sensors in a diagonal configuration that by all accounts and purposes from the reddit and such covers 95% of your play area. Try it out. It's legit good.

I myself have tried it out with two sensors unplugging my 3rd one and it works well. And I tried this out with both Robo Recall and Lone Echo which both push the limits of 360 degree tracking.

A 3rd sensor is really just for those who must have absolute perfect 360 degree tracking and are anal about it like I am.

yukonrye

Scored a R9 290 for $75 on Craigslist.

That feeling when you're driving to pickup a deal on Craigslist and the houses start to get nicer and nicer. :)

Time to replace my 750ti and play some real Robo Recall

Amneisac

I feel like 7' is a pretty small room for that experimental setup. My room is 12' wide and it's not a huge room. That would put my sensors way over 10' apart if I did them diagonally like that.

Lebneney

Banned
Does anyone actively use the experimental 360? I'm receiving my Rift in the next few days and was wondering if it's viable or should I just stick with the recommended way?

Izuna

Banned
Does anyone actively use the experimental 360? I'm receiving my Rift in the next few days and was wondering if it's viable or should I just stick with the recommended way?

2 Sensor 360 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. default method. If you got the space and tools, use it.

The Chef

I feel like 7' is a pretty small room for that experimental setup. My room is 12' wide and it's not a huge room. That would put my sensors way over 10' apart if I did them diagonally like that.

Ignore the limits defined in that article.
I'm setting mine up and they'll likely be 15' apart. It's not a problem.

jrcbandit

Doom 3 BFG VR is pretty cool. What's the best HD texture pack to go along with it? It's funny to see the weird animations in cutscenes because we weren't meant to see everything.

well....I discovered a downside to purchasing games in Oculus store that aren't exclusive.

Games that say "windows 10 required" or whatever, sometimes still work on windows 7.

For instance, Raw data still works on Windows 7, but Oculus store blocks you from installing it, whereas steam just lets you install it regardless.

the Oculus store shouldn't block you from installing apps. I wonder if there is some hack to work around it

Dartastic

I know that the $100 off essentially from getting it off that Amazon deal of the day is nice, but FUCK I WANT MY OCULUS UGHHHHHHHHHHH. PLEASE SHIP PLZ.

well....I discovered a downside to purchasing games in Oculus store that aren't exclusive.

Games that say "windows 10 required" or whatever, sometimes still work on windows 7.

For instance, Raw data still works on Windows 7, but Oculus store blocks you from installing it, whereas steam just lets you install it regardless.

the Oculus store shouldn't block you from installing apps. I wonder if there is some hack to work around it

A lot of stuff that says Win10 in the steam requirements still works on Win7, afaik the devs don't put other OS versions in the requirement info because they didn't test it themselves because they only have developed it on Win10. So to not get into trouble if something doesn't work they just don't list it. Stuff like Bigscreen is problematic though.
(I wasn't aware the Oculus store is blocking users from installing that as I never used the Oculus store)

A lot of stuff that says Win10 in the steam requirements still works on Win7, afaik the devs don't put other OS versions in the requirement info because they didn't test it themselves because they only have developed it on Win10. So to not get into trouble if something doesn't work they just don't list it. Stuff like Bigscreen is problematic though.
(I wasn't aware the Oculus store is blocking users from installing that as I never used the Oculus store)

Yea, it's stupid. it just refuses to let you install it even tho you purchased it.

I hate seeing this thread. I'm still holding on. Cracking bad though...

How many more weeks is the sale going for?

Dude just do it.

if it isn't for you, then return it. But man, I was blown away, and I was a big doubter...you can Even look at my posts early in this thread where I was very hesitant.

x3sphere

I've had the Vive since launch and recently got the Rift because of this deal, and man, I'm impressed. The headset feels a lot more comfortable to me and the headphones being built in makes it easier to jump in for a quick session.

The biggest thing for me is the tracking. I'm only using two sensors right now (still waiting for the third) and the tracking already seems pretty good. I used to have a lot of jumpiness with the Vive tracking and times where it completely lost connection (grey screen), not sure if all the windows in my room caused it, but the Rift in the same environment is flawless most of the time. I read a lot about people having USB issues and was a bit worried about that at first, but I used these extension cables with the sensors and no issues with them being detected as USB 3.0 on my X99 Deluxe motherboard.

I prefer the Touch controllers as well, they definitely feel more natural to use. Had a blast playing Robo Recall tonight, that game is awesome.

Stiler

How is Lone Echo/Echo arena if you play mostly sitting down, will it be ok or do you have to play it standing?

Sensor wise, if you have two where is the best place to put them if you can't put one in the back corner like the experimental recommendation?

The Chef

So how hopeless of a situation am I in?

oVo7glM.png

Its been "Preparing" all week long.

solaaire

Neo Member
The 3rd sensor doesn't have to go through USB 3.0 like the rest so they just give you a 2.0 extension cord.

I believe that extension cable is actually intended to be used with the Xbox One Controller dongle. The Xbone controller can become unsuitable for gameplay (massive latency spikes, dropped inputs) under certain circumstances i.e. you only have one precious USB slot left and it just happens to be on the motherboard. The extension cable essentially eliminates that interference.

The Dude

How is Lone Echo/Echo arena if you play mostly sitting down, will it be ok or do you have to play it standing?

Sensor wise, if you have two where is the best place to put them if you can't put one in the back corner like the experimental recommendation?

I'm playing lone echo sitting and it's just as incredible, the game is mind blowing.

I honestly can't believe how good vr games are becoming, it's so awesome

Crash331

I played a couple of hours last night sitting down and it was perfectly fine. The game is long enough where I wouldn't want to stand the whole time, and my room isn't really a good shape for the experimental 360 setup. I just sat in my office chair and flicked the right stick to turn. It still felt great.

Got really bad VR sickness last night playing Pavlov (Counter Strike VR) in 360 room scale with three sensors. Should I focus on things like Superhot and Robo Recall until I get my "VR legs"?

Also how long did it take some of you to get over VR sickness?

hamchan

oVo7glM.png

I put it my order on the 14th of July direct from Oculus and it hasn't shipped yet.

It's been long enough that I'm actually past the point of excitement of buying new tech and now questioning whether I really want this thing after all.

Soi-Fong

I put it my order on the 14th of July direct from Oculus and it hasn't shipped yet.

It's been long enough that I'm actually past the point of excitement of buying new tech and now questioning whether I really want this thing after all.

After you play Lone Echo and Robo Recall, you'll stop questioning it. :p

The Chef

We must endure together.
If we dont...what hope do we have?

Anony

i have a i5-2500k (oc to 4.2ghz easily, can do 4.5 if needed) and a rx470
i'm not worried about running games; i found out my etron usb 3.0 are incompatible with rift usb 3.0, guess i'll have to get a usb pci-e card :|

Soroc

Seems to be. It's real crazy to me how hard it is to find right now.

Have you tried a Best Buy close to you?

Yeah my local best buys are all sold out too. Somebody mentioned on reddit I think grabbing one off the Oculus store late last week and it shipping so I figured I'd ask if anyone else had that success before I put an order in and cancel my waiting order on Amazon. Really want to get this 3rd sensor setup now that I've had some time with some games this weekend and found some syncing failures with some spots that are definitely related to getting some exposure on the backend of my setup.

Just 2 words from my experiences this weekend.

SUPER

HOT

SUPER HOT

Lone Echo is amazing and immersive but I'm absolutely in love with Super Hot VR

Krayz

oVo7glM.png

Hmm bestbuy I assume?

If so, your local bestbuy probably was out of stock and had ordered another batch to come in which are all backordered for customers. You might be on the 2nd batch.

I ordered mine on the 18, also out of stock in-store. Delivery date was one day(the 20th) ahead of when it would be on the shelf again at my bestbuy(21st).

NimbusD

Man, I'm so glad I just decided to randomly pick up my Oculus in store last week at best buy. It was like an hour walk but I had nothing to do that day and it was nice out. Now I see it's not in stock anywhere

I wish I had the foresight to get a third sensor tho.

The Dude

You want it, trust me. Just play something else and don't worry about it... But let that order marinate and it'll ship. I know it sucks but don't let it become a "not even sure I want this", because that's just you being pissed... Relax and wait, it'll be fucking worth it trust me.

MJPIA

I probably should have just picked up the bundle from a best buy way back when they had them in stock in the local stores.
I mean sure I'm saving $100 but I kinda wanted Eve: Valkyrie anyways and I would have had it long ago.

LOLCats

Banned
I believe that extension cable is actually intended to be used with the Xbox One Controller dongle. The Xbone controller can become unsuitable for gameplay (massive latency spikes, dropped inputs) under certain circumstances i.e. you only have one precious USB slot left and it just happens to be on the motherboard. The extension cable essentially eliminates that interference.

Yes seems likely. The cable is identical to the one that came with my xb1 controller wireless dongle.

Dartastic

I probably should have just picked up the bundle from a best buy way back when they had them in stock in the local stores.
I mean sure I'm saving $100 but I kinda wanted Eve: Valkyrie anyways and I would have had it long ago.
I'm in the same boat as you. Sucks, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom