• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chef

Hmm bestbuy I assume?

If so, your local bestbuy probably was out of stock and had ordered another batch to come in which are all backordered for customers. You might be on the 2nd batch.

I ordered mine on the 18, also out of stock in-store. Delivery date was one day(the 20th) ahead of when it would be on the shelf again at my bestbuy(21st).

Yeah Best Buy. Bummer, I ordered mine on the 17th.

Well I got off of a chat with BestBuy.
She says "The order has been packed and will ship once the carrier pick it up from the location.The estimated arrival of your item is 07/24/2017."

I said "Is it really likely to ship today and arrive tomorrow?"
She said "Yes. No worries, you will be able to get your order."

YOU BETTER NOT TOY WITH ME BEST BUY!

MazeHaze

Banned
Man after seeing all of these backorders I'm super glad to have one of these bad boys. My girl bought it for me from best buy the second day of the sale, she got the last one in my area. There aren't any at the 3 best buys within 30 minutes of me now.

Loving the shit out of it, but I ordered 3 usb extenders, an HDMI repeater and a 15 ft HDMI cord so I can use the Dining Room as a VR room. It works fine in the living room, but I have to pull back the couches and move the coffee table to play, and the guardian system comes up a little too often for my tastes, I always have to move slow and be cautious and it takes me out of the immersion.

Krayz

So does my delivery depend on when one of my local stores is getting their shipment?

I don't work for retail so I wouldn't know how it works. But it seems that way. Unless of course your shipment method is faster then theirs. Which I guess they'll get whichever store can get it sent out the earliest.

ss_lemonade

So a friend ordered one from Amazon and had it delivered to our place. Is it normal for the plastic bag around the box to not be properly sealed? It was barely sealed with a single piece of tape and some unused tape can be seen stuck around it. My friend was just worried about getting a used unit since he's been seeing complaints about it.

Damn, I am not great at Robo Recall. That second mission that wants you to get 2 million points... Yeah... I've tried four times and capped out at just under 1 million.
Having a blast, though! So damn good.

I've not even tried the regular two sensor setup, I went with roomscale from the off.

And despite having just above the minimum space required and only one sensor in a USB 3 port, it works great. Very few issues with tracking at all.

Know what is some BS? That I have to buy Superhot AGAIN when I already have it on PC.
Why is that BS? It's pretty standard. If I buy a game on PS4, I don't get the XBox One version for free. If I buy Shadows of Mordor on PC, I can't play it on PS4 for free.

Unless you are talking about owning Super Hot on PC, and complaining that you have to pay for its VR sequel, which is an odd complaint.

Linkup

Seems Lone Echo is quite the cpu hog.
Been looking forward to playing it, but not sure if my i5 3570 will be able to handle it.

I had memory issue. Large hi-res textures on large structures will do that.

Game is mind blowing in all the right ways though. I'll say it again, first VR game worth talking about. RAD nailed it, I've felt things I never feel while playing games. Incomparable experience.

MazeHaze

Banned
Ahh, I see.

Shame, was glad to see I could play Dirt Rally VR on Steam without having to purchase anything else.

Once you play Superhot VR you will feel differently. It's completely designed around VR, and it shows. Having a VR game that is 100 percent configured for VR is much better than VR added on to a flat screen game.

It's literally an entirely different game than Superhot PC. It's built for semi-stationary play whereas the first game is built around player movement and stuff. You'll see, it's incredible.

The Dude

I had memory issue. Large hi-res textures on large structures will do that.

Game is mind blowing in all the right ways though. I'll say it again, first VR game worth talking about. RAD nailed it, I've felt things I never feel while playing games. Incomparable experience.

I don't think that it's true that it's the first game to talk about, that's a stretch.

Chronos is very much worth talking about along with many others.

I actually cancelled my Oculus store order and purchased from BestBuy (Canada) when I noticed they had them in stock online. They charged my card within a couple of hours and it says the shipment is estimated to arrive on Wednesday. They haven't given me a tracking number yet though and it says the order is still in progress. Hopefully it arrives on Wednesday!

Edit: oddly enough I looked at the original email and it says your method of payment will not be charged until your order has been shipped. Yet I don't have any tracking numbers.

Why is that BS? It's pretty standard. If I buy a game on PS4, I don't get the XBox One version for free. If I buy Shadows of Mordor on PC, I can't play it on PS4 for free.

Unless you are talking about owning Super Hot on PC, and complaining that you have to pay for its VR sequel, which is an odd complaint.

Is it really that odd?

That comparison is a bit extreme.

Well I got off of a chat with BestBuy.
She says "The order has been packed and will ship once the carrier pick it up from the location.The estimated arrival of your item is 07/24/2017."

I said "Is it really likely to ship today and arrive tomorrow?"
She said "Yes. No worries, you will be able to get your order."

YOU BETTER NOT TOY WITH ME BEST BUY!

I ordered mine from best buy Friday and it shipped yesterday, should have it on Tuesday.

gt86

Anyone else with an rx580 having issues with wattman closing the games and restarting? I have found so many people with the same issue and no fix from amd

VICI0US

How long are the sensor cables? Am I good to set up room-scale out of the box?

if you're doing the "experimental" 2 sensor room scale (sensors in opposite corners of your playspace) you'll definitely need at least 1 extension cable.

I needed one 3FT and one 16FT extension personally.

Once you play Superhot VR you will feel differently. It's completely designed around VR, and it shows. Having a VR game that is 100 percent configured for VR is much better than VR added on to a flat screen game.

It's literally an entirely different game than Superhot PC. It's built for semi-stationary play whereas the first game is built around player movement and stuff. You'll see, it's incredible.
I'm not arguing that - I don't have any version of Superhot so I'm not in a position to.

However it was nice to learn that the VR component of Dirt Rally was free, because for some reason I thought they were charging extra for it.

MazeHaze

Banned
I'm not arguing that - I don't have any version of Superhot so I'm not in a position to.

However it was nice to learn that the VR component of Dirt Rally was free, because for some reason I thought they were charging extra for it.
Yeah that is nice, but since superhot vr is a different game entirely you can't really expect it.

And at least it's not like Ethan Carter where the VR version IS the same game, but you have to buy the 10 dollar "VR DLC"

Also, I'm sure I'm an extreme minority, but my only gripe with VR is that there really isn't a way to get a comfy fit with dreadlocks. PSVR is pretty much impossible for me because the sweet spot is so small and the headset doesn't expand enough for me to get it over my hair all the way.

Oculus is way better with the 3 adjustable straps, but it's definitely still not perfect. I'd love to be able to buckle the back of it.

_woLf

So I got my Rift from Best Buy..

It came in a box with no protective packing materials, and when I opened it a ton of the stickers were peeled off, the bottom of the actual rift visor has some sticky shit on it, cables were loose, the xbox one's wireless plug thing was rattling around. The inside flap was bent crazy out of shape...

Not okay. And no Best Buy within 250 miles of me has them in stock. Awesome.

So a friend ordered one from Amazon and had it delivered to our place. Is it normal for the plastic bag around the box to not be properly sealed? It was barely sealed with a single piece of tape and some unused tape can be seen stuck around it. My friend was just worried about getting a used unit since he's been seeing complaints about it.

that bag is just put over it for shipping from my understanding. usually there is no plastic bag around it

Hexer06

Yeah, mine wasn't sealed, but I don't think I had any unused tape on mine. I'm thinking the plastic bag is pretty much just to keep the slip cover and box clean-ish? lol.

It came in a box with no protective packing materials, and when I opened it a ton of the stickers were peeled off, the bottom of the actual rift visor has some sticky shit on it, cables were loose, the xbox one's wireless plug thing was rattling around. The inside flap was bent crazy out of shape...

Holy shit! That's crazy. Sorry to hear that. :/

gt86

Sounds like a similar experience I had last year, ordered a new parrot drone from best buy, when I opened it I noticed it had some damage on the body already, hooked it up to my PC, had videos still on it crashing.

Do we uninstall the Echo arena beta now that the game is out?

I also want to replace my cover but not sure which one to pick

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-cover/#prettyPhoto

you want this one at the least. as it replaces the foam with a leather cover that you can wipe off. I went with the 49.99 since it offers multiple ones.

the latter is just a cover that goes over the foam or your replacement. and you get one of those with the replacement (just not super soft like the last one)

_woLf

Holy shit! That's crazy. Sorry to hear that. :/

Yeah, I'm really bummed about it.

Sounds like a similar experience I had last year, ordered a new parrot drone from best buy, when I opened it I noticed it had some damage on the body already, hooked it up to my PC, had videos still on it crashing.

I'm tempted to try and set it up to see if it even works, but I just don't want to bother with the hassle until I get one I know I'm going to keep.

I called Best Buy and it's on backorder, but they tried placing an order for one anyway. We'll see if it ever gets here.

Current order status says "Get it by Mon, Aug 14."

Fuck, man. No real apology or compensation, either.

15 minutes of Echo Arena and I didn't fall once. I still have the feeling like I'm floating in anti grav though. It's weird and slightly unsettling. It's not motion sickness I think, it moreso feels like my balance is off almost like vertigo. As long as I don't end up like Lucille 2 I'll be fine.

The only thing I can liken it to is when you're on an elevator for a long time or on a boat and it feels like you're still rocking/moving. Eye's feel a little wonky too, like they are having trouble staying focused. I have a feeling that's just due to the depth perception of VR vs IRL. Either that or I'm going insane.

liza-vertigo-1500573119.gif

I had this same effect playing echo arena and Lucky's tale the first few days, now I don't notice it anymore. Hopefully your body/mind will get used to it.
Yeah I can imagine it goes away, I know I've heard the term "VR Legs". I mean when I started Echo Arena I literally almost ate dust and fell over on my side. I was crawling in game like I was drunk and this dude next to me was cracking up. He said "I felt the same way man". It got better the more I played, but I could tell it was messing with me and had to tell myself to quit.

gt86

Yeah, I'm really bummed about it.

I'm tempted to try and set it up to see if it even works, but I just don't want to bother with the hassle until I get one I know I'm going to keep.

I called Best Buy and it's on backorder, but they tried placing an order for one anyway. We'll see if it ever gets here.

Current order status says "Get it by Mon, Aug 14."

Fuck, man. No real apology or compensation, either.

Wow they at least mailed me a $50 gift card. Mine looked sealed and I'm sure they had no idea.

gt86

15 minutes of Echo Arena and I didn't fall once. I still have the feeling like I'm floating in anti grav though. It's weird and slightly unsettling.

The only thing I can liken it to is when you're on an elevator for a long time or on a boat and it feels like you're still rocking/moving. Eye's feel a little wonky too, like they are having trouble staying focused. I have a feeling that's just due to the depth perception of VR vs IRL. Either that or I'm going insane.

I had this same effect playing echo arena and Lucky's tale the first few days, now I don't notice it anymore. Hopefully your body/mind will get used to it.

Hexer06

So this is a cross-post from Oculus Rift OT, but I wanna post it on here since this seems more active, lol.

Weird thing happened: I was playing just fine the day before yesterday. I go to put my headset on today, and it thinks my sensors are in a totally different spot (to the top-right corner of my play area, instead of being centered). I tried resetting orientation in Oculus Home but it didn't do anything. So I go to the Settings on the PC and try to set them up again, but every time I get to the part of putting the headset on, it puts the sensors in a weird off spot again. The setup goes fine as far as putting the controller up to my eye and holding the trigger and then setting up the play area. It all looks normal and everything. But then when I get the headset on, it's like "Actually your sensors are in a different spot! Now we can't see your headset." I've tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in and resetting my PC. Anything else to try? I feel like maybe I'm forgetting something.. :/

Edit: Nvm...somehow it fixed itself. 5th time's the charm I guess? lol

_woLf

Wow they at least mailed me a $50 gift card. Mine looked sealed and I'm sure they had no idea.

yeah, I'm thinking I may call back and confirm that if it's going to be until august then I deserve some kind of compensation for the trouble.

Just wanted to rub it in.

Woke up on the 11th's morning because I couldn't sleep, went on GAF, saw this, bought with no hesi Jimbo (only real hoopers will know what I mean).

No Prime, both were expected to come the 17-20th, days I'd be off work, but busy. Cool, I'll get to try it. Come the 12th, shipping switches to the next day, when I'm also off. No way, I thought. 13th and I see the USPS truck, asked if I can grab the box from her early, set up my stuff and start balling, two days after I ordered. As someone who waited for Switchs to be available before I couldn't find one, I wasn't expecting to beat the line here without Prime, especially with the two SKU bundle. Bought SuperHot VR right away (toss some support toward Oculus' way) and enjoying. Whenever you guys get the opportunity to order this, do it.

I've been banned the entire duration of this thread and I'm pretty damn happy I didn't get to ask all those questions I normally do. It's been one of the best impulse purchases I've ever made, and going in with a sense of mystery makes it that much more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom