• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got mine within 30 minutes.

Once you've developed "VR legs" I'd recommend Pavlov (CS:GO in VR with workshop support) and Onward (ARMA infantry gameplay/Insurgency in VR). Audioshield has been my go-to party/workout game so far. SuperhotVR is great but it doesn't have nearly as much content/longevity as the others I recommended.

Thanks!

So I guess after waiting all this time I am going to ATTEMPT to cancel my order with BestBuy and order it on Amazon since it says it will ship from Amazon on Aug 7th

I don't know which bundle Bestbuy has but the one that ships from Amazon on Aug. 7th is the new bundle that DOES NOT come with the xbox controller and remote. They are phasing that bundle out it seems to make the lower price feasible. I already have a rift but this new bundle comes with everything in one box as opposed to the old ones coming in two separate box. I am tempted to order it just for the box as it's hard to find a case that fits everything.

Linkup

There's at least one title coming out each month for the rest of the year which should have a similar level of polish and execution but I think Artika.1 is the game that will probably be closest Lone Echo in terms of polish and execution. It's made by 4A Games (metro series). No release date yet but It should be released before the end of the year.

Except the previews a few months back really lowered my expectations for Artika1. I don't doubt the polish, just the execution as they'll have to be smart about using nodes for movement. I kind of want them to offer joystick controls alongside nodes for those who need it.

Anyway, I haven't felt this way about a game since Half-Life Ep 2. Lone Echo was just exhilarating and real in a way few games ever are. If Artika1 can bring what Lone Echo brought then that would be a treat.

prophecy0

Sorry if this has been asked before but which roller coaster game is everyone's favorite?

My wife who generally looks down on video games tried Oculus Rift and had a blast. It was funny to see her initial criticism of "what the hell is this crap?" completely dissipate while wildly thrusting her arms in the air popping balloons in VR Funhouse with a big smile on her face and accidentally punching my arm in the process.

Also, any suggestions on VR games with a "wow factor" that a non-gamer can enjoy (I thought roller coaster may be a good candidate) would be greatly appreciated.

This isn't a coaster game but for $5 I think it's a good "intro" or "casual" VR game:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/468110/Rescuties_VR/

You have to catch babies, kittens, and dogs and toss them to safety. It's simple but fun and the levels are varied enough ot keep it somewhat interesting.

Soroc

So after playing Rift extensively this weekend my biggest question right now is who has bought one of the VR covers and does it remove the lines/impressions on your face? I realized I couldn't go from playing Rift for 1+ hours to going outside in public until the lines faded away haha!

Iorv3th

So after playing Rift extensively this weekend my biggest question right now is who has bought one of the VR covers and does it remove the lines/impressions on your face? I realized I couldn't go from playing Rift for 1+ hours to going outside in public until the lines faded away haha!

You have it on too tight.

The Chef

I don't know which bundle Bestbuy has but the one that ships from Amazon on Aug. 7th is the new bundle that DOES NOT come with the xbox controller and remote. They are phasing that bundle out it seems to make the lower price feasible. I already have a rift but this new bundle comes with everything in one box as opposed to the old ones coming in two separate box. I am tempted to order it just for the box as it's hard to find a case that fits everything.

Thats very interesting. I just checked my BestBuy order for the headset and it says:
What's Included

Lucky's Tale Game
Oculus Remote
Oculus Rift virtual reality headset
Owner's manual
Sensor
Xbox One Wireless Controller

itxaka

Defeatist
Wow, just wow.

I bought the Dev version kit back then and thought it was good but still had work to get to the masses.

Now the rift, it's pretty cool, resolution is much better and the sensor is good for positioning.

But the controllers. Holy shit. The controller just make the game go several layers deep. Tried superhot be and it's a killer app. The sensation that you get when putting your arms up and seeing them and doing something natural like grabbing something and seeing it happen it's just another fucking level.

Buy superhot. Buy it.

P.S.: as I understand, Vive controls are even better/more natural? Can someone with both comment? I do not discard getting also a Vive. Can you mix Vive controllers with the oculus headset?

prophecy0

Wow, just wow.

I bought the Dev version kit back then and thought it was good but still had work to get to the masses.

Now the rift, it's pretty cool, resolution is much better and the sensor is good for positioning.

But the controllers. Holy shit. The controller just make the game go several layers deep. Tried superhot be and it's a killer app. The sensation that you get when putting your arms up and seeing them and doing something natural like grabbing something and seeing it happen it's just another fucking level.

Buy superhot. Buy it.

P.S.: as I understand, Vive controls are even better/more natural? Can someone with both comment? I do not discard getting also a Vive. Can you mix Vive controllers with the oculus headset?

The current Vive controllers are not as good as the Oculus Touch controllers. Valve is working on "Knuckles" controllers that will most likely be better than the Touch controllers. I don't think you can mix and match headsets/controllers as the Lighthouses (Vive) and Constellation sensors (Oculus) work a bit differently.

I think the touch controller's ergonomics make it a little easier to forget you're holding a controller, if that makes any sense.

Soroc

You have it on too tight.

I honestly don't think so, I don't even tighten the sides, only the top when I have the back at the correct placement. If I would keep it any more loose, the headset would move around too much during quick head snaps playing Gorn or the like. It just seems to happen after about 1 hour or more of use. Its mainly around my cheek bones and my forehead.

I tried the demo for this one the other day--- it's pretty intense.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301320/NoLimits_2_Roller_Coaster_Simulation/

This isn't a coaster game but for $5 I think it's a good "intro" or "casual" VR game:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/468110/Rescuties_VR/

You have to catch babies, kittens, and dogs and toss them to safety. It's simple but fun and the levels are varied enough ot keep it somewhat interesting.

Thanks! Will look into these!

Phinor

So I guess it's my turn to write one of these messages...

I've been following VR for years now from a distance, waiting for better hardware, prices and software/games. Not much of a believer so far, the software seems very lacking. The only VR I actually experienced until last week is Gear VR which was fun for few evenings but that's about it. Then this Oculus Rift deal happened and I suddenly got really interested in VR. Waited few days, then decided to order the bundle straight from Oculus. I got lucky because it was shipped the next day. Stock levels seem better in Europe than in US but even so, I stumbled upon multiple people who ordered the same day and didn't even have shipping notice nearly a week later.

After an hour+ of setup it was time for the tutorial and immediately I'm very impressed, the touch controllers are fantastic. I tried few other games quickly including Robo Recall which is very fun despite the teleporting which I always hated seeing in games but seems to actually work quite well in practice and Lucky's Tale which tried to make me fall over constantly. Then it was time for racing games which is what I initially bought the bundle for. Unfortunately Assetto Corsa looked like complete crap and no matter how great it was actually being in the car, that was very disappointing. I also tried Dirt Rally where the resolution wasn't as much of an issue but one stage was enough to make my head spin.

More research the second day. Supersampling seems to actually help quite a bit and after the disappointing initial experience with Assetto Corsa, the second one was much better. I need to get more comfortable with VR but thanks to supersampling I think the image is (just barely) clear enough for racing games. Other games though, those designed for VR, just excellent and I need to re-emphasize how great the touch controllers are. I hope there's longevity there but for now I'm very satisfied with the bundle especially at that price.

After few days I realized I need to re-design my VR space which would have been a silly idea to suggest before I got the Rift, I wasn't going to go all in with this. I may have also ordered third sensor which wasn't the plan at all, luckily it also shipped very quickly. Today I played some Project Cars and the resolution didn't seem like a huge issue. Afterwards I realized I didn't even have supersampling turned on.

So all in all very positive about VR so far. It's a bit like Nintendo systems so far, there isn't an abundance of great games but what is there is enough to satisfy most people especially at this price. I hope this gaining VR legs is a thing because my plan is still to use Rift a lot for racing games (in addition to all the other games) but I'm not comfortable yet with driving proper races or even half races. 5-10 lap races have been enough for now, feeling slightly uncomfortable after such a race but nothing too bad (except for Dirt Rally).

NimbusD

Am I on the right track here with the experimental two sensor 360 setup?

I'd say move the back sensor all the way to the corner of the play area (against the wall), everything I know tells me it should be corner to corner. While I haven't tried otherwise, I've had near perfect 360 tracking with that set up. Also make sure your senors are high up enough to prevent as much occlusion as possible (minimum 8 ft)

Gnub

I don't think Oculus First Contact gets enough credit. It does a great job of presenting the possibilities of VR with the touch controllers. Everything from pointing, to emoting with your hands, picking up objects, moving in your real world room space, and all sorts of interactions with in game objects all in one demo.

If you skipped it while setting up the touch controllers, you're missing out.

prophecy0

I don't think Oculus First Contact gets enough credit. It does a great job of presenting the possibilities of VR with the touch controllers. Everything from pointing, to emoting with your hands, picking up objects, moving in your real world room space, and all sorts of interactions with in game objects all in one demo.

This is what I used to introduce my wife, her brother, and her brother's girlfriend to VR. All of them loved it and it was a great intro to the touch controllers.

This is what I used to introduce my wife, her brother, and her brother's girlfriend to VR. All of them loved it and it was a great intro to the touch controllers.

This was also the first thing I booted up after convincing my wife to try VR. I think she was still in the "this is videogame crap" mentality while going through the demo. When she picked up the 3D printed gun and started shooting at stuff, I can tell she was enjoying the experience and only after then was she receptive to trying something else.

I have to say, after First Contact, I download Echo Arena and I was completely mesmerized. I was looking at my VR robot hands for like good 10 seconds like I was on an acid trip.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, when I show VR, I always start with First Contact. Usually, I let the next person try Robo Recall and I think TITAN SLAYER VR is a great game to showcase also.

The Dude

I do however find it very frustrating with non gamers, like I just want them to have a great experience but it's like holy mother of mercy when they don't know a thing about what buttons typically do what, just shoot me.

There are lists out there but off the top of my head:

Arizona Sunshine
Lone Echo
The Climb
Eve Valkrie
Chronos
Star trek
Batman
Robo Recall
The Mage's Tale
Tethered
Echo Arena (Free)
Job Simulator
Wilson's Heart
Edge of nowhere
Dirt Rally
Elite Dangerous
Technolust
Werewolves within
The Brookhaven Experiment
Dead Secret
The Assembly
The Gallery: Episode 1 Call of the Starseed

I got mine within 30 minutes.

Once you've developed "VR legs" I'd recommend Pavlov (CS:GO in VR with workshop support) and Onward (ARMA infantry gameplay/Insurgency in VR). Audioshield has been my go-to party/workout game so far. SuperhotVR is great but it doesn't have nearly as much content/longevity as the others I recommended.
Thank you both!

Izuna

Banned
I do however find it very frustrating with non gamers, like I just want them to have a great experience but it's like holy mother of mercy when they don't know a thing about what buttons typically do what, just shoot me.

Haha, well it's fun to tell them stuff like "the robot is scared of you" and "he wants to have fun" as instructions.

:D

BestBuy just updated my shipment details! According to Canada Post my shipment should arrive tomorrow! It looks like I got the original bundle that includes the Xbox One controller and Oculus Remote. The BestBuy receipt shows two separate SKUs for the Oculus VR Headset and Touch Controllers.

Has anyone compiled a list of the best* VR games out there? I bought Thumper and may get SuperHot VR, but after blowing all that money on the Rift itself I don't really want to drop too much cheddar on games that are only "okay"

its become a problem for me. I keep wanting more "new" experiences so I keep buying games. after buying a few of the summer bundles. I havent bought anything over 29.99 yet... just keep buying these 9.99 - 24.99 games. this isnt good. Its becoming an addiction for wanting to experience something new in VR.

I am very tempted to buy Chronos....must hold...

The Chef

0y7VyEY.png

Uh.....what?

aY2RM9ol.jpg

The Dude

Is it even worth playing dirt rally with a controller? I don't have a wheel and not sure I want one as I haven't played a lot of racers lately but I used to always love Dirt games.

But I know this one is a bit harder than normal, so curious

Is it even worth playing dirt rally with a controller? I don't have a wheel and not sure I want one as I haven't played a lot of racers lately but I used to always love Dirt games.

But I know this one is a bit harder than normal, so curious

I don't have a wheel, but it still feels great. It's just the immersion of being in the driver's seat is so good in Dirt Rally. So its basically like playing a racing game with your controller but more immersive. Of course a wheel would take it over the top, but I never used a wheel for racing games. Just not that hardcore into them to buy one.

The Dude

I don't have a wheel, but it still feels great. It's just the immersion of being in the driver's seat is so good in Dirt Rally. So its basically like playing a racing game with your controller but more immersive. Of course a wheel would take it over the top, but I never used a wheel for racing games. Just not that hardcore into them to buy one.

How are the actual career modes, are they as brutally hard as some make it out to be?

Am I the only one that does not get motion sickness at all? I was flying in EVE like a madman and felt nothing.

The one occasion I felt something was putting myself in top of the Eiffel Tower in Google Earth VR and looking down.

I think some people have it and some don't. Just consider yourself lucky. I'm generally pretty safe from most of it. Oddly enough, the only games I get sick from are cockpit games. EVE Valkyrie gives it to me a little bit but Project Cars ruins my stomach for hours.

At first I thought it was the combo of my wheel and the headset, so I tried with a controller and still no go. Looked it up, turns out it's pretty widespread for VR motion sickness. Turned off all camera movement and it's gotten better but still basically unplayable without sickness for me. It's a huge shame because I'd love to disappear into a sports car for a few hours a day.

NimbusD

I just had my girlfriend play this and it's literally the first video game thing she's ever responded positively to. Seriously, she's even a freak who Hates Mario kart. She was whining about it right up until she waved at the robot then she immediately changes her mind and started having fun.

I actually was really happy, the reason I pushed it on her was her grandma died last week and she's been feeling so down, it was great to see her just be immersed in it and not worrying or sad for a few minutes.

Now I have the issue of trying to find whatever would be the next thing she'd enjoy. She's not a gamer so I'm thinking something that's more about the experiential side of be, probably tech demo-y. Definitely not roller coasters or anything that would make her feel motion sick.

Anyone have ideas?

Amneisac

I just had my girlfriend play this and it's literally the first video game thing she's ever responded positively to. Seriously, she's even a freak who Hates Mario kart. She was even whining about it right up until she waved at the robot then she immediately changes her time and started having fun.

I actually was really happy, the reason I pushed it on her was her grandma died last week and she's been feeling so down, it was great to see her just be immersed in it and not worrying or sad for a few minutes.

Now I have the issue of trying to find whatever would be the next thing she'd enjoy. She's not a gamer so I'm thinking something that's more about the experiential side of be, probably tech demo-y. Definitely not roller coasters or anything that would make her feel motion sick.

Anyone have ideas?

Honestly I'd probably pump the brakes, acccept this small victory for a day or two and then see if she wants to try something else. Don't want to come on too strong here and ruin the moment.

The only game so far that gives me any kind of "motion sickness" is Ripcoil. It doesn't give it to me alot, but I still feel it whenever I move side to side. I can still play it but damn.

NimbusD

Honestly I'd probably pump the brakes, acccept this small victory for a day or two and then see if she wants to try something else. Don't want to come on too strong here and ruin the moment.
Oh yeah for sure. She was ready to be done by the end of it but really liked it. I just realized everything else I have to show her next time is like... Echo arena or really game-y games, i don't even know what else is out there on the other side of things.

Soroc

Thanks dude!

OMG I only have 1 HDMI on my 1070 lol. I didn't even THINK to check I just assumed it HAD to have 2.

NOOO!

My 1080Ti is the same way. My monitor was using a display port but my TV out was using the HDMI. Had to remove that and order a display port to hdmi for the TV and keep the Rift on the regular HDMI port. Hope you can do the same thing! Just prioritize until you get the extra cables :D

I just had my girlfriend play this and it's literally the first video game thing she's ever responded positively to. Seriously, she's even a freak who Hates Mario kart. She was whining about it right up until she waved at the robot then she immediately changes her mind and started having fun.

Anyone have ideas?
“Henry” - it’s basically a VR short story created by Oculus Story Studios, it’s very cute. And Google Earth VR is a fun thing to play with, walk around towns as a giant, sit down on a mountain top at night, etc.

Anyone have ideas?

Farlands, messing around in Medium or Blocks, anything like Toy Box or the NVidia Funhouse, Waltz of the Wizard. Any of the movie experiences like Lost or Found or Invasion (except not Dear Angelica based on what you just said).

And nothing there should cost you anything either...

My 1080Ti is the same way. My monitor was using a display port but my TV out was using the HDMI. Had to remove that and order a display port to hdmi for the TV and keep the Rift on the regular HDMI port. Hope you can do the same thing! Just prioritize until you get the extra cables :D

Whoa what?? Your 1080ti only has one HDMI port? What card did you get? I think my auros has one display port and like 6 HDMI ports 5 in the rear and one on the front of the card for HDMI out to front of case.

Whoa what?? Your 1080ti only has one HDMI port? What card did you get? I think my auros has one display port and like 6 HDMI ports 5 in the rear and one on the front of the card for HDMI out to front of case.

My 1080 is the same. 3xDisplayPort, 1xHDMI, 1xDVI

I think it's standard for modern GPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom