• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soroc

Whoa what?? Your 1080ti only has one HDMI port? What card did you get? I think my auros has one display port and like 6 HDMI ports 5 in the rear and one on the front of the card for HDMI out to front of case.

If I had any forethought of getting VR I would have planned to get a card that had the HDMI out on the front of the case! Oculus aggressive pricing really took me by surprise this summer! :)

I have the EVGA SC version.

Sheesh. Now I am thinkin I have to go to Best Buy and buy a freakin $20 Displayport cable.
D:

If you have the patience, you can get one from monoprice for a 1/3 of the price! But I understand if you don't have the patience, I know those feels and want everything setup perfectly from the get go. lol

If I had any forethought of getting VR I would have planned to get a card that had the HDMI out on the front of the case! Oculus aggressive pricing really took me by surprise this summer! :)

I have the EVGA SC version.

My 1070 is the same, it's the standard on most cards. I get why they thought HDMI was a better standard port, instead of DP on the VR headsets, but honestly they should have used DP. Then just included an adapter for the minimal amount that would cost.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
I just had my girlfriend play this and it's literally the first video game thing she's ever responded positively to. Seriously, she's even a freak who Hates Mario kart. She was whining about it right up until she waved at the robot then she immediately changes her mind and started having fun.

I actually was really happy, the reason I pushed it on her was her grandma died last week and she's been feeling so down, it was great to see her just be immersed in it and not worrying or sad for a few minutes.

Now I have the issue of trying to find whatever would be the next thing she'd enjoy. She's not a gamer so I'm thinking something that's more about the experiential side of be, probably tech demo-y. Definitely not roller coasters or anything that would make her feel motion sick.

Anyone have ideas?

Henry, Dear Angelica and Alumette. All 'pixar-like' movie shorts but all really good. The last 2 could be quite emotional for her considering her recent situation.

Soroc

My 1070 is the same, it's the standard on most cards. I get why they thought HDMI was a better standard port, instead of DP on the VR headsets, but honestly they should have used DP. Then just included an adapter for the minimal amount that would cost.

Yeah I agree, would have been so much more convenient. Probably Gen2 it will be standard.

I NEED IT NOOOOOOWWWWWW!

haha I can feel your impulsiveness through the interwebz, hurry Best Buy will be closing soon! lol

Dijital_Majik

Neo Member
Thanks dude!

OMG I only have 1 HDMI on my 1070 lol. I didn't even THINK to check I just assumed it HAD to have 2.

NOOO!

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me until I went to install an Inatec USB 3.0 card and actually got a good look at the back. Ended up ordering a display port to HDMI adapter sharpish!! Luckily my Oculus has yet to even ship.

On a side not, is it normal for the Oculus compatibility checker to still fail the USB test with an Oculus recommended Inatec card? My motherboard is an Asus P8Z68 Pro and I understand that has issues, but a little worried that it's not seeing the card (new ports appear to be working fine).

Yeah I agree, would have been so much more convenient. Probably Gen2 it will be standard.

haha I can feel your impulsiveness through the interwebz, hurry Best Buy will be closing soon! lol

I think they'll use HDMI 2.1. Which is still a significant improvement in terms of Data, it's beyond the DP1.2 at least.

Soroc

I think they'll use HDMI 2.1. Which is still a significant improvement in terms of Data, it's beyond the DP1.2 at least.

I keep forgetting about HDMI 2.1. Im guessing this won't be a firmware update situation and will require new video card ports? Is 2.1 still looking at releasing in 2018? I guess it will be pretty common in 2019 (earliest I would think a gen2 headset will come out, not including their all inclusive headsets they are working on)

LOLCats

Banned
EXACTLY the same thing happened to me until I went to install an Inatec USB 3.0 card and actually got a good look at the back. Ended up ordering a display port to HDMI adapter sharpish!! Luckily my Oculus has yet to even ship.

On a side not, is it normal for the Oculus compatibility checker to still fail the USB test with an Oculus recommended Inatec card? My motherboard is an Asus P8Z68 Pro and I understand that has issues, but a little worried that it's not seeing the card (new ports appear to be working fine).

Yes i read it was. You could disable the unsupported controllers in device manager temporarily and run the test.

I keep forgetting about HDMI 2.1. Im guessing this won't be a firmware update situation and will require new video card ports? Is 2.1 still looking at releasing in 2018? I guess it will be pretty common in 2019 (earliest I would think a gen2 headset will come out, not including their all inclusive headsets they are working on)

Yea, it will be for new headsets going forward.

tbhysgb

Tried htc vive this weekend. If I had an awesome gpu I'd order oculus rift right now.

Even taking into account the screen door effect I came away very impressed. Was sad I couldn't try more.

Will definitely be a vr customer in the future.

Dartastic

So, how necessary is the third sensor? I haven't even gotten my Oculus yet, but I just got in my $100 Amazon gift card. I was thinking of using it on Rabbids on the Switch and a bit of Nintendo e-shop credit for Sonic Mania. How well does the two sensor situation work? Is it an absolute must buy?

iosefe

So, how necessary is the third sensor? I haven't even gotten my Oculus yet, but I just got in my $100 Amazon gift card. I was thinking of using it on Rabbids on the Switch and a bit of Nintendo e-shop credit for Sonic Mania. How well does the two sensor situation work? Is it an absolute must buy?

it works and if you have the right space it can be just as good as 3 sensors with that diagonal set up. my room doesnt allow for it so I need a third for a perfect experience. But im having a close to perfect experience now with 2 tho. amazon has been sold out of the third sensor tho

The Dude

I'd personally suggest it if you have some spare money to get the 3rd it's a nice purchase. It's just nice to have, even tho 2 can work, I think 3 is ideal.

The Chef

Got the cable!
Do I have to enable display port on my video card or something?
I connected it to all 3 ports and I get no image.

Dartastic

it works and if you have the right space it can be just as good as 3 sensors with that diagonal set up. my room doesnt allow for it so I need a third for a perfect experience. But im having a close to perfect experience now with 2 tho. amazon has been sold out of the third sensor tho

I'd personally suggest it if you have some spare money to get the 3rd it's a nice purchase. It's just nice to have, even tho 2 can work, I think 3 is ideal.
All great advice. I think that the two sensor thing may work for my space to be honest. Might as well just wait to see how it goes before potentially wasting my credit.

Soroc

Got the cable!
Do I have to enable display port on my video card or something?
I connected it to all 3 ports and I get no image.

Shouldn't need to, but you may need to just reboot your computer for the ports to activate and to detect video signals correctly. At least in my case I had to when I was changing them all around.

Christ, these controllers are complete and total garbage.

I had to exchange my first pair at Best Buy because the triggers broke within only a week of use. They, of course, didn't have any Touch controllers currently in stock at Best Buy, so I had to wait a week before they managed to restock. I finally got my new Touch controllers today, and already something is fucked up.

The haptic feedback/vibration is WAAAY louder in my right controller for whatever reason. My left controller is nice and quiet, but the right is super loud everytime it vibrates. I'm playing Robo Recall, and I can hear this annoying trebly vibration every time I fire a gun.

Now I have to drive 12 miles out to Best Buy and return the controllers again. I've been playing video games for 20 years, and I've never had major problems with a game controller until now.

The Dude

I had to exchange my first pair at Best Buy because the triggers broke within only a week of use. They, of course, didn't have any Touch controllers currently in stock at Best Buy, so I had to wait a week before they managed to restock. I finally got my new Touch controllers today, and already something is fucked up.

The haptic feedback/vibration is WAAAY louder in my right controller for whatever reason. My left controller is nice and quiet, but the right is super loud everytime it vibrates. I'm playing Robo Recall, and I can hear this annoying trebly vibration every time I fire a gun.

Now I have to drive 12 miles out to Best Buy and return the controllers again. I've been playing video games for 20 years, and I've never had major problems with a game controller until now.

Mine are perfect. Bad units can happen with any product, it happens

Disagree. I've accidentally punched one of mine into my wall, and thrown the other full force 8 feet into the ceiling, and they are both totally fine. Incredibly solid.

And I'm guessing you don't own a PS4....lol

My videocard has 1 HDMI and 3 DisplayPorts, my new motherboard (X370) has a HDMI port. Can the Oculus use one HDMI and the computer monitor use the other or do both have to run off the videocard meaning I need a HDMI/DisplayPort converter?

My videocard has 1 HDMI and 3 DisplayPorts, my new motherboard (X370) has a HDMI port. Can the Oculus use one HDMI and the computer monitor use the other or do both have to run off the videocard meaning I need a HDMI/DisplayPort converter?

You can only use the ports on the GPU.

Mine are perfect. Bad units can happen with any product, it happens

I looked online, and people have experienced the same issues, especially with the triggers breaking in a short period of time.

Of course, I'm sure most people won't have issues, but when I can google my problem and find others with the exact same specific issues, then I blame the manufacturing. It doesn't just feel like a one off defective product.

Disagree. I've accidentally punched one of mine into my wall, and thrown the other full force 8 feet into the ceiling, and they are both totally fine. Incredibly solid.

Okay? I'm talking about manufacturing issues. I didn't bash my controllers into anything.

probably just got a bad pair. my controllers are perfect

The Chef

Well I feel foolish but I just needed to really cram in the display port into the back of the monitor. But I run into another problem.

My desktop wallpaper is off the screen to the left by 50%. So the other half of the screen is black. I can see the start menu and all that stuff but all the windows are off screen. When I right click for display settings its all off screen.

I cant figure out how to get it to treat this as one monitor not 2. Any ideas?

robotrock

Banned

Yeah these controllers are incredibly durable. I assume they were probably built with that in mind as I keep banging on ceilings and walls

Well I feel foolish but I just needed to really cram in the display port into the back of the monitor. But I run into another problem.

My desktop wallpaper is off the screen to the left by 50%. So the other half of the screen is black. I can see the start menu and all that stuff but all the windows are off screen. When I right click for display settings its all off screen.

I cant figure out how to get it to treat this as one monitor not 2. Any ideas?

Vr should be its own seperate thing. It shouldn't be attached to your monitor as a second monitor.

only thing I can say is check your Nvidia display settings and monitor settings within that.

The Chef

Vr should be its own seperate thing. It shouldn't be attached to your monitor as a second monitor.

only thing I can say is check your Nvidia display settings and monitor settings within that.

Yeah my headset isn't even connected right now. Im just switching my input on my monitor from HDMI to display port and everything is out of reach.

Edit; Hold the phone. I just disconnected my hdmi from the back of my pc and its fixed now. So weird.

low-G

As far as the Touch controllers, my experiences after months of use is they are very durable when it comes to impacts, but for a period of month 1 to month 2 my left trigger got a bit squishy (not as bad as the PS4 gamepads get, but not a great feel either). But for now it's healed itself.

Soroc

Yeah my headset isn't even connected right now. Im just switching my input on my monitor from HDMI to display port and everything is out of reach.

Edit; Hold the phone. I just disconnected my hdmi from the back of my pc and its fixed now. So weird.

Give it the old microsoft 1-2 again and reboot it now that its cabled correctly. Should hopefully correct itself on boot up.

Edit: haha good old HDMI :)

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

I had "clacky" triggers in at least one of the controllers back in december. I also ran into the same vibration issue you had in the right controller. It was annoyingly loud. I just ignored it and probably a week later both problems went away. They've been fine since.

Hexer06

Happy for you that you finally got the set! Hopefully you get everything set up with no more further problems. Enjoy the amazing experience! :D

I had "clacky" triggers in at least one of the controllers back in december. I also ran into the same vibration issue you had in the right controller. It was annoyingly loud. I just ignored it and probably a week later both problems went away. They've been fine since.

I got clacky triggers for both my touch controllers. Apparently, the rubber isn't seated very well in the controllers. It moves easily and can cause problems.

I only have a day left for my Best Buy exchange. While I would like to just stick with it, I don't think it's worth the risk. There's no guarantee that it will sound normal again, so I minus well return it instead of having to potentially deal with an RMA.

The Chef

Oh my god.
This is so crazy. The intro demo alone with the robot.
Then Echo Arean...I cant even. I ended up in a very heated match. I felt like freakin Ender Wiggin.

This is insane!

Edit: Do I turn off the headset or something when Im done?

Oh my god.
This is so crazy. The intro demo alone with the robot.
Then Echo Arean...I cant even. I ended up in a very heated match. I felt like freakin Ender Wiggin.

This is insane!

Edit: Do I turn off the headset or something when Im done?
Turn off the Oculus software, it will then go into standby mode.

Make sure to do that, or it will just be on for no good reason.

The left speaker on the headset doesn't emit any sound :(

Sometimes when I put it in a specific location it does, does it happen with anyone else?

Also, Robo Recall is a game changer

Mobius 1

I'm slowly finding a comfortable headset position and getting used to the resolution.

Tried Rec Room, but the experience was soured by the typical random kids and racist douchnozzles. Does GAF have a RecRoom community?

What about if I am downloading a game like Robo Recall? Its probably going to take a while. Should I just diconnect the headset?

Nah, I don't think you should worry about that. It will be fine, just leave it plugged in.

In general, if you're not using the headset, just turn off the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom