• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

Was able to try out the one my friend bought. Big improvement from the first dev version, which was the last one I tried. But the resolution was still not quite up to snuff I think. I would probably be willing to spend the money on one myself once they double the current resolution.

Of the demos and games I tried, Lone Echo was the clear standout. Felt like a proper game made for VR, rather than demos or minigames

Jzero

lol
Li0N8gK.jpg

MDave

Was able to try out the one my friend bought. Big improvement from the first dev version, which was the last one I tried. But the resolution was still not quite up to snuff I think. I would probably be willing to spend the money on one myself once they double the current resolution.

Of the demos and games I tried, Lone Echo was the clear standout. Felt like a proper game made for VR, rather than demos or minigames

I would of waited for a doubled up resolution too, but then the hardware requirements to push VR that high would be really expensive today. 1080ti or higher I'd imagine ... minimum.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Yah , its not an overstatement to say lone echo is the best vr game on any platforms right now

Banzai

I'm an idiot.
My oculus arrived today but as it turns out I only have 1 Hdmi port, which I'm using for the tv. I was planning to use a vga2dvi adapter to connect the tv but my gpu only has a dvi-d port, and my adapter has 4 extra pins.
Need to buy an adapter I guess.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm an idiot.
My oculus arrived today but as it turns out I only have 1 Hdmi port, which I'm using for the tv. I was planning to use a vga2dvi adapter to connect the tv but my gpu only has a dvi-d port, and my adapter has 4 extra pins.

I've used both a DVI-HDMI and DisplayPort-HDMI adpaters at various points with a Rift with no issues.

Soroc

I'm an idiot.

If you have display ports on your video card, you can use display port to HDMI for your TV. Thats what I had to do since my video card only has 1 HDMI and 3 Display ports.

sol740

I caved at the 399 price, despite originally holding out for Gen2. I haven't used a VR set since DK2 at the Ohio Game Dev conference, so I'm excited to try CV1. Headset is coming tomorrow, and the touch controllers Wed. I went ahead and ordered two extensions and a usb hub from Amazon, downloaded Elite Dangerous and Eve Valkyrie, and even rearranged my gaming/workspace to accommodate roomscale better. The play area should be roughly 8x8. Hopefully all goes well with setup.

The Chef

So I guess after waiting all this time I am going to ATTEMPT to cancel my order with BestBuy and order it on Amazon since it says it will ship from Amazon on Aug 7th

I'm trying to convince myself to sell my PSVR and hop on this. Has anyone done this, and was it worth it or any regrets? I'm not especially partial to one set of exclusives over the other where OR and PSVR are concerned. I kind of feel as though in the long-run, if PSVR doesn't work out Sony will just drop it, but VR will live on much longer on the PC because if nothing else, the community will keep it active with mods and the like. Is that a fair view to take?

The Chef

I'm trying to convince myself to sell my PSVR and hop on this. Has anyone done this, and was it worth it or any regrets? I'm not especially partial to one set of exclusives over the other where OR and PSVR are concerned. I kind of feel as though in the long-run, if PSVR doesn't work out Sony will just drop it, but VR will live on much longer on the PC because if nothing else, the community will keep it active with mods and the like. Is that a fair view to take?

For the current price of the Rift I think its a no-brainer honestly. Sell that sucker.

Aren't you giving up the free EVE game doing that?( which may or may not be important to you)

Thats the only reason I chose BestBuy in the first place. I honestly dont REALLY care about that game tbh. I just want my Rift ;_; Amazon will ship it a week earlier so theres that.

I cannot believe how this thing is selling out all over the place.
Makes me think Oculus is like "Holy crap. We should have priced it here from the beginning!"

So I had PSVR when it launched and returned it within a couple weeks, basically for the same reason you state. If Sony decides not to support it, its fucked. PC on the other hand will most likely never lose support, I feel like there are a bunch more games on the PC side also.

I have a question though, most VR games I play I'm fine in, no motion sickness (even in EVE Valkyrie). I tried Project cars and iRacing and both times after a lap I feel pretty sick, is this normal? I watched/read reviews on sim racing VR before purchasing the rift and not one review I read said anything about getting motion sick. Is this something I just have to gradually work my way through?

For the current price of the Rift I think its a no-brainer honestly. Sell that sucker.

Thats the only reason I chose BestBuy in the first place. I honestly dont REALLY care about that game tbh. I just want my Rift ;_; Amazon will ship it a week earlier so theres that.

I'm REALLY tempted. I have an interested party actually so I could sell it off today if I so choose.

So basically you're choosing getting it quicker over the throw-in game, fair enough lol. The mother of all deals was the amazon prime deal a few weeks ago where they were throwing a $100 gift card on top of the OR bundle. Man, if I had jumped on that then....

So I had PSVR when it launched and returned it within a couple weeks, basically for the same reason you state. If Sony decides not to support it, its fucked. PC on the other hand will most likely never lose support, I feel like there are a bunch more games on the PC side also.

I have a question though, most VR games I play I'm fine in, no motion sickness (even in EVE Valkyrie). I tried Project cars and iRacing and both times after a lap I feel pretty sick, is this normal? I watched/read reviews on sim racing VR before purchasing the rift and not one review I read said anything about getting motion sick. Is this something I just have to gradually work my way through?

I mean, I may be overthinking the Sony part( or using it as an excuse to justify selling it for the OR, lol), they seem to be supporting it fine, but right now I'm using a vanilla PS4 and I really am not of the mind to buy a Pro just for improved fidelity. I know that the PSVR has outsold both the OR and Vive, but I don't know..... I think the potential of VR is just better on the PC side because the tech will always be ahead of the tech curve compared to closed box consoles.

Can't really provide much advice on motion sickness, other than it seems to be a YMMV thing. I've had a range of VR experiences on the PSVR and never had any dizziness, motion sickness, headache or the like....so far.

The Chef

I'm REALLY tempted. I have an interested party actually so I could sell it off today if I so choose.

Have you ever played Rift or Vive?
If not, there really isn't a comparison between PSVR against Rift and Vive.
If you have an interested party right now I'd sell it in a heart beat.

So basically you're choosing getting it quicker over the throw-in game, fair enough lol. The mother of all deals was the amazon prime deal a few weeks ago where they were throwing a $100 gift card on top of the OR bundle. Man, if I had jumped on that then....

I may just be patient. Im going to preorder it on Amazon (since they wont charge me till it ships).

Have you ever played Rift or Vive?
If not, there really isn't a comparison between PSVR against Rift and Vive.
If you have an interested party right now I'd sell it in a heart beat.

I haven't played either. I should also add that I'm currently rocking a 750ti and planning on upgrading to a 1070, which is further pushing me towards OR because I'll actually have the hardware to run it properly.

The Chef

I haven't played either. I should also add that I'm currently rocking a 750ti and planning on upgrading to a 1070, which is further pushing me towards OR because I'll actually have the hardware to run it properly.

Once you try it out I think you'll be absolutely blown away. You wont regret it.

Holy shit....Kittypocalypse is such a fun Tower Defense. It's basically like Defense grid but more hilarious.

My only beef with it is, theres less freedom for creativity with this one as opposed to other tower defense games, in the sense, you kinda gotta build a certain way for each map or you will just hit a wall hard.....and until you figure out how they want you to build on that map, you just keep hitting that wall.

Gotta try skirmish mode to see if it allows for more creativity.

other than that tho, it's good times and addictive

Also, Dirt Rally is AMAZING in VR.

webrunner

Am I on the right track here with the experimental two sensor 360 setup?

i think you need to move your top sensor to the left and point it in and the bottom one to the right and point it in. They should be pointing at 'each other' but down, and across the two corners.

Linkup

Just finished Lone Echo. How long until we can get more? When is the next game of it's polish and execution coming?

I'm floored.

Dartastic

Hey guys, so for the experimental two sensor roomscale, how well does it work? Is it passable if I can get my second sensor high enough behind me?

I'm still waiting for my bundle though. Amazon. Amazon plz. Hurry up. :(

Getting my headset today from Amazon, but Touch controllers still have no ETA on delivery. Any suggestions for good VR experiences that don't require the touch controllers for the interim while I wait?

Getting my headset today from Amazon, but Touch controllers still have no ETA on delivery. Any suggestions for good VR experiences that don't require the touch controllers for the interim while I wait?

I would recommend Eve Valkyrie code off eBay for $15 since that uses a gamepad.... But you'll projectile vomit everywhere within seconds if it's your first time doing VR.

Linkup

How long is it? I want to buy it, but there are tons of other games I want as well.

There is no clock to check and you lose track of time in VR, but I think it took around 5 hours.

Maybe you should wait, might ruin some of the older games, but this is the stuff many have been waiting for.

Thank you! Great suggestion. I have PS VR, but haven't been really impressed by it, hoping the Rift is more immersive.

I think you might be okay doing EVE Valkyrie if you've done seated PSVR without issue. It just got an update courtesy of Nvidia a couple weeks ago and now it looks significantly better on ultra settings.

Just bought it from this seller. Delivered quickly and it's from a bunch of Best Buy promotions. Pretty good price for a $40 game.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eve-Valkyri...399618?hash=item3aea9f1e02:g:1OwAAOSwlXhZZ-ag

I loved my first week with the Rift, but damn those games are way too expensive right now. It's an early niche technology, but still, as someone who only buys games for cheap, this is quite the challenge. Luckily Oculus is giving away lots of free games and Steam has quite a few good F2P or totally free games.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Just finished Lone Echo. How long until we can get more? When is the next game of it's polish and execution coming?

I'm floored.

There's at least one title coming out each month for the rest of the year which should have a similar level of polish and execution but I think Artika.1 is the game that will probably be closest Lone Echo in terms of polish and execution. It's made by 4A Games (metro series). No release date yet but It should be released before the end of the year.

I would recommend Eve Valkyrie code off eBay for $15 since that uses a gamepad.... But you'll projectile vomit everywhere within seconds if it's your first time doing VR.

I think you might be okay doing EVE Valkyrie if you've done seated PSVR without issue. It just got an update courtesy of Nvidia a couple weeks ago and now it looks significantly better on ultra settings.

Just bought it from this seller. Delivered quickly and it's from a bunch of Best Buy promotions. Pretty good price for a $40 game.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eve-Valkyri...399618?hash=item3aea9f1e02:g:1OwAAOSwlXhZZ-ag

Excellent, that's the one I just purchased.

Thanks. Just purchased one. Ready to barf!

How long does it take to get the code in the email?

Sorry if this has been asked before but which roller coaster game is everyone's favorite?

My wife who generally looks down on video games tried Oculus Rift and had a blast. It was funny to see her initial criticism of "what the hell is this crap?" completely dissipate while wildly thrusting her arms in the air popping balloons in VR Funhouse with a big smile on her face and accidentally punching my arm in the process.

Also, any suggestions on VR games with a "wow factor" that a non-gamer can enjoy (I thought roller coaster may be a good candidate) would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone compiled a list of the best* VR games out there? I bought Thumper and may get SuperHot VR, but after blowing all that money on the Rift itself I don't really want to drop too much cheddar on games that are only "okay"

Thanks. Just purchased one. Ready to barf!

How long does it take to get the code in the email?

I got mine within 30 minutes.

Has anyone compiled a list of the best* VR games out there? I bought Thumper and may get SuperHot VR, but after blowing all that money on the Rift itself I don't really want to drop too much cheddar on games that are only "okay"

Once you've developed "VR legs" I'd recommend Pavlov (CS:GO in VR with workshop support) and Onward (ARMA infantry gameplay/Insurgency in VR). Audioshield has been my go-to party/workout game so far. SuperhotVR is great but it doesn't have nearly as much content/longevity as the others I recommended.

Sorry if this has been asked before but which roller coaster game is everyone's favorite?

My wife who generally looks down on video games tried Oculus Rift and had a blast. It was funny to see her initial criticism of "what the hell is this crap?" completely dissipate while wildly thrusting her arms in the air popping balloons in VR Funhouse with a big smile on her face and accidentally punching my arm in the process.

Also, any suggestions on VR games with a "wow factor" that a non-gamer can enjoy (I thought roller coaster may be a good candidate) would be greatly appreciated.

I tried the demo for this one the other day--- it's pretty intense.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301320/NoLimits_2_Roller_Coaster_Simulation/

There are lists out there but off the top of my head:

Arizona Sunshine
Lone Echo
The Climb
Eve Valkrie
Chronos
Star trek
Batman
Robo Recall
The Mage's Tale
Tethered
Echo Arena (Free)
Job Simulator
Wilson's Heart
Edge of nowhere
Dirt Rally
Elite Dangerous
Technolust
Werewolves within
The Brookhaven Experiment
Dead Secret
The Assembly
The Gallery: Episode 1 Call of the Starseed

Mobius 1

Am I the only one that does not get motion sickness at all? I was flying in EVE like a madman and felt nothing.

The one occasion I felt something was putting myself in top of the Eiffel Tower in Google Earth VR and looking down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom