• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld Announcements - Abe HD, Munch's Odyssey HD, Hand of Odd

Oppo

StuBurns said:
So you don't have to be as concerned about product quality? Either you have a publisher, and it's their responsibility, or you are one.

I don't think quality is a good excuse, that almost seems like a bit of an elitist argument from MS's POV. There are some quality self-published titles on PSN. Joe Danger and Shatter come to mind.

StuBurns

Banned
PortTwo said:
I don't think quality is a good excuse, that almost seems like a bit of an elitist argument from MS's POV. There are some quality self-published titles on PSN. Joe Danger and Shatter come to mind.
To be clear, I'm not saying that is MS's reasoning, I don't want to put words in their mouth, I was just speculating.

V_Ben said:
That's a driver problem, not much they can do there I think...
Here's a quote I found on these guys website:

“AMD and Oddworld Inhabitants, Inc. are aware of the problems which are seen on ATI graphics cards with the latest OpenGL drivers and are working hard to resolve the problems. We’re not yet certain whether the problems lie in the driver or the game, but as soon as we have news we’ll share it with you.”

This was from January and there has been no update for it since.
Seeing as how I own over 150 games on Steam and Strangers Wrath is the only one that I have had this issue with, I'm going to go ahead and say that they just made a piss poor port, whatever the excuse they give.

Now, I'm REALLY hoping the update to give it the HD assets will fix this issue, because I doubt AMD is going to be fussed about tweaking their drivers for a port of a 6 year old Xbox 1 game.

I'm probably being harsh here, the game is still playable, but with everything else that was wrong with these games when they came out I don't see myself paying money to these people ever again. If they're free for those that bought the Oddbox, then great, but I'm not sure of how likely that will be. :/

Inorigo said:
Oddboxx should be on disc. Limited print run even. It's like five games.

Exactly. I don't think I'll get these if each one is downloadable, but if they're all put together on a disc for PS3 or X360, I'll definitely get it.

bender

What time is it?
icarus-daedelus said:
Ever played Stranger's Wrath? It's a damn good return to form, albeit in a completely different style from the first two games in the series. Not enough per se to justify an Xbox purchase either, probably, but quite good.

For sure. :) I'm looking forward to the HD remake of that too. That's just not a new announcement like Abe HD.

I wasn't knocking the Xbox either, PGR and Halo co-op kept me happy at launch. They just weren't my motivators for jumping in at launch as I'd never played a previous Bungie Game or MSR on the Dreamcast.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
steverulez said:
So its going to be on GoD? Will that sell well? Seems like a stupid idea they should have just done a workaround for XBLA.

The only possible ways to "work around" the size limit would be to cut content or release the game in episodes. Cutting content would just piss people off, and I've never played SW so I'm not sure what the game is like, but if it's not linear, that makes an episodic release anywhere from difficult to impossible. (Not to mention that cutting a game up into episodes isn't as simple as just chopping code off at a certain point of the game.)

Platforms are undecided, but JAW is "looking at" iPad, Android tablets, Facebook, PC and Mac.

A PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 release is unlikely, however. "It works well with touchscreen interfaces or mouse control direct. On consoles, however, you get analogue sticks or your Move controller. While Move is good for certain kind of gameplay and it's responsive compared to Kinect, it still isn't that intuitive.

This is why Project Cafe is gonna rule.

After the abomination that was the Oddboxx for steam I wont be touching anything else by JAW. Awful ports, and despite the head of JAW (Golden Bucket was his username, I think, can't remember his actual name) coming into the thread and promising that they would get it all worked out Stranger's Wrath still doesn't work, and we got no word of Stranger's Wrath HD slipping from easter to some unnamed future date. Such a shame because the Oddworld games truly deserve better.

scitek

FreeFallin' said:
After the abomination that was the Oddboxx for steam I wont be touching anything else by JAW. Awful ports, and despite the head of JAW (Golden Bucket was his username, I think, can't remember his actual name) coming into the thread and promising that they would get it all worked out Stranger's Wrath still doesn't work, and we got no word of Stranger's Wrath HD slipping from easter to some unnamed future date. Such a shame because the Oddworld games truly deserve better.

They released a patch in January that fixed the performance issues. Transparent objects are still fucked up for AMD cards, though.

mattp

i want more abe hd details
as excited as i am for abe hd, i've got the same reaction i always have to these type of things
if youre gonna totally redo abe in hd why not just make a new game :(

Am I the only one that didn't care for Abe's Exoddus? I just never got into it the way I did with Oddysee and now I can't remember exactly why that was.

Darklord

Banned
Hand of Odd better not just be a tablet game.

Also, people who bought the Oddboxx on PC better bloody get the HD versions! That's going to piss me off if we pay for a broken version(at launch) then they release far superior versions later on.

wwm0nkey

Darklord said:
Hand of Odd better not just be a tablet game.

Also, people who bought the Oddboxx on PC better bloody get the HD versions! That's going to piss me off if we pay for a broken version(at launch) then they release far superior versions later on.
We get the strangers wrath HD upgrade for free.

- switch PS1 Abe with Abe HD
- develop Exodus HD, switch with PS1 Exodus
- CE blu-ray release of the Oddboxx including all those HD versions.

... would make it perfect, but it's already pretty cool stuff :D

Heres some pre production ABE HD pics. They can be found on the Oddworld facebook page.

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

According to Oddworld.com the game will be out in 2011 and they dont know if its going to be a remake of odyssey, exodus, something new or a mixture of both.

mattp

McKeeverFever said:
Heres some pre production ABE HD pics. They can be found on the Oddworld facebook page.

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

According to Oddworld.com the game will be out in 2011 and they dont know if its going to be a remake of odyssey, exodus, something new or a mixture of both.
well those were underwhelming..

McKeeverFever said:

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

Nice variety of pics there.

Tizoc

HYPE*1000000000000
Is Abe HD a remake of the first Abe game on PSX? Cuz we got that on PSN months ago XD. Would be sweet if they offer a discount for those that got the PSX version off PSN.

I'd be less skeptical if the Oddworld franchise wasn't in the hands of a developer of questionable competence, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. It always seems like they are trying to take on too much at once, though.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Need some HD screenshots of the 2D remake stat. If it looks as good as those mockups on Steam, ooohhhh

Hopefully Exoddus follows tho, that one was my favorite

RedSwirl

Shit. I own Odyssey, Exodus, and Stranger on Steam but haven't started any of them. Just give those up and wait for the HD version?

And do we still know if they're going to update the Steam version of Stranger into the HD version? That's why a lot of people bought it.

Teknoman

RedSwirl said:
Shit. I own Odyssey, Exodus, and Stranger on Steam but haven't started any of them. Just give those up and wait for the HD version?

And do we still know if they're going to update the Steam version of Stranger into the HD version? That's why a lot of people bought it.

They better.

Bought Stranger's Wrath during the Steam Summer Sale. Bought the entire Oddbox actually. Don't know if I'll play any of the other games but I recently finished Stranger's Wrath and definitely enjoyed it. Played one of Abe's games back in the day on PlayStation as a kid. I really wish Oddworld Inhabitants didn't close it's doors.

The M.O.B

Yeah I bought Strangers Wrath on steam and have been putting off on playing it until we get that HD patch. Plus there is a ton of glitches that I am hoping they will put to rest.

R1CHO

Even without the "HD" the game is beautiful, sadly i am an amd user so graphical problems... cant wait for the HDpatch to fix that.

if they could squeeze Hand of Odd onto the Vita's small (relative to tablets) screen i would be extremely grateful. im squirming in my chair at the thought of deploying a bunch of sligs and paramites onto a battlefield. O__O

Raife

Looks really good. Can't wait for the release. I've been holding off on replaying Stranger's Wrath since this was announced.

Top Bottom