• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir |OT| Second Revision

Hero

S level all fights so you can get extra money and ingredients.

Don't go crazy spending food at Maury's until you clear the map, except for the trial stage and the boss.

When you have gathered all the ingredients you can. Make as high a level Yogurt as you can. 7/8/9. Just make use an empty bottle with milk then pair it with some fruit you grew. Grape/Napple/Lamb Chop etc. They hugely boost alchemy levels. The yogurt can up to double xp gains from Maury. Cha ching. When you start unlocking Ruewort ingredients this will just you a ton of levels.

Also make healing potions and boost them with fruit you grow. Its faster than eating the fruits during battle.

Wait, the yogurt buff works on Maury's cooking? :O

sphinx

the piano man
I am currently in the 4th story with Oswald,

it's being quite annoying cause for some reason, the game doesn't want to reward coins and items like in the previous stories so I am always struggling to level up.

for someone with the power of darkness, he does shit damage to enemies,

I am in chaper 6 already I am about to repeat previous chapters to grind.

Giolon

it's being quite annoying cause for some reason, the game doesn't want to reward coins and items like in the previous stories so I am always struggling to level up.

Oswald is by far the worse character. He has to work twice as hard to do half as much as Cornelius, and his range is super short. He's basically trash unless he's in berserk mode, and in order to keep fueling that mode you have to keep having trash mobs to kill which makes some bosses tougher than they otherwise should be.

I didn't end up having to back and grind with him, but it was the most trying experience of all the characters.

Hero

Oswald is by far the worse character. He has to work twice as hard to do half as much as Cornelius, and his range is super short. He's basically trash unless he's in berserk mode, and in order to keep fueling that mode you have to keep having trash mobs to kill which makes some bosses tougher than they otherwise should be.

I didn't end up having to back and grind with him, but it was the most trying experience of all the characters.

Cornelius is OP as hell

Dude you will want to grind him just so he is powerful enough.

Amazed by how well the IQ of this holds up through Remote Play to my PC compared to 3D games which all get a bunch of compression artifacts.

sphinx

the piano man
ok I platinum'd this, what a nice game.

I maxed all skills on all 5 characters and brought everyone to level 99, didn't go for 9999 HP as it seemed really pointless.

armagedon book is sad, all things said,
but even worse is the bad ending with Myris standing there crying and witnessing the destruction of the world while she sinks into oblivion.

my favorite character to play with was Mercedes, The bow grew on me and as I power leveled with her, it was clear she was going to be a killing machine.

in terms of story arc, my favorite was cornelius, inconditional love and probably the purest heart in that bunch, everyone else was either an asshole or a spoiled brat or a mix of both.

ok I platinum'd this, what a nice game.

I maxed all skills on all 5 characters and brought everyone to level 99, didn't go for 9999 HP as it seemed really pointless.

armagedon book is sad, all things said,
but even worse is the bad ending with Myris standing there crying and witnessing the destruction of the world while she sinks into oblivion.

my favorite character to play with was Mercedes, The bow grew on me and as I power leveled with her, it was clear she was going to be a killing machine.

in terms of story arc, my favorite was cornelius, inconditional love and probably the purest heart in that bunch, everyone else was either an asshole or a spoiled brat or a mix of both.

I agree with you. The Armageddon book hit me like a ton of bricks. I love the bittersweet alt endings, but seeing Mryis on top of the mountain crying is pretty powerful.

sphinx

the piano man
I agree with you. The Armageddon book hit me like a ton of bricks. I love the bittersweet alt endings, but seeing Mryis on top of the mountain crying is pretty powerful.

I wouldn't have bothered with the scenes if it weren't because I needed them for a trophy but as I went unlocking them, I was feeling really bad! like "OMG!! what am I doing! those poor people, everyone is having a terrible ending!" lol

specially Oswald's bad ending left me horrified,
seeing him as a mindless black ghost wandering for eternity as King Onyx leaves the scene, woah

I wouldn't have bothered with the scenes if it weren't because I needed them for a trophy but as I went unlocking them, I was feeling really bad! like "OMG!! what am I doing! those poor people, everyone is having a terrible ending!" lol

specially Oswald's bad ending left me horrified,
seeing him as a mindless black ghost wandering for eternity as King Onyx leaves the scene, woah

Oswald had the same effect on me too. Special mention to Mercedes and Ingway...the feels...

This was a long ass game. By the time I got to the end credits, I only had to play an extra five hours or so to get the platinum.

It was great for the most part, but definitely felt like it dragged on too long by the end. The end portion of the story also
felt like it was unnecessarily downbeat to me. Didn't really appreciate that very much. Did the writers really have to kill off everyone apart from four of the main characters?! What a downer.

This was a long ass game. By the time I got to the end credits, I only had to play an extra five hours or so to get the platinum.

It was great for the most part, but definitely felt like it dragged on too long by the end. The end portion of the story also
felt like it was unnecessarily downbeat to me. Didn't really appreciate that very much. Did the writers really have to kill off everyone apart from four of the main characters?! What a downer.

I guess you can look at it as a tragedy...and it made a deeper impact on you. All said and done, this is still one my favorite video game stories ever.

Nuu

Banned
Just beat this game, and holy shit what a fantastic title! The combat is wonderful, the tactics are pretty deep, the graphics are beautiful, and the story is great. I remember adoring the original game when it came out and always defending it. Glad to see that it is so much better received with the remaster/remake. Though, I did play the game in "Classic Mode" and the combat was notably lacking. Then again I just played the introduction stage...

Gravidee

Fully platinumed this recently. It was really great in terms of visuals and gameplay.
I felt sad that Mercedes was the only one of the main characters that died though. Would have been nice to see them altogether at the cauldron.

Would be great if Vanillaware could release other enhanced remasters/remakes for the PS4. They should do it for GrimGrimoire, Muramasa, and Dragon's Crown.

Is there any substantive difference between the PS3 and PS4 versions? The latter is like 30 bucks pricier.

The game runs at 60FPS even on Vita. I believe the PS3 version runs at 1080p, but don't quote me on that. All versions only have performance problems when a ton of potions are one the screen consecutively, but even that isn't a dealbreaker. I recommend the Vita version since the gameplay loop works well in a portable setting, but either of the console versions is fine too.

asagami_

Banned
The game runs at 60FPS even on Vita. I believe the PS3 version runs at 1080p, but don't quote me on that. All versions only have performance problems when a ton of potions are one the screen consecutively, but even that isn't a dealbreaker. I recommend the Vita version since the gameplay loop works well in a portable setting, but either of the console versions is fine too.

Sounds better than PS2 then. Mmmm, I don't expect to buy a PS4 this year so if I find a cheap PS3 copy I will buy it ASAP.

RiggyRob

Played this for a bit the other day after having picked it up for £20 on PSN ages ago and yo - this game's got systems.

Alchemy, mixing potions to make stronger potions, eating fruit to give you exp, eating fruit to give you seeds to grow fruit to eat and give you exp, upgrading skills, chaining aerial combos and potions on goons and bosses to make you feel like a BEAST.

Dis. Game. Got. Systemsssss

emag

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir has been the most pleasant surprise on my newly purchased PS4. I played a little of the original on PS2, but didn't care for it. The remake is really fun and addicting (playing on Hard)! I wish I could change characters, though (still playing Gwen), to keep the experience fresh, especially if the others go through the stages in a different order. (I've played the other characters in the PS4 demo version.)

Is there any substantive difference between the PS3 and PS4 versions? The latter is like 30 bucks pricier.

PS4 version is $40 new at GameStop.

Weiss

Banned
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir has been the most pleasant surprise on my newly purchased PS4. I played a little of the original on PS2, but didn't care for it. The remake is really fun and addicting (playing on Hard)! I wish I could change characters, though (still playing Gwen), to keep the experience fresh, especially if the others go through the stages in a different order. (I've played the other characters in the PS4 demo version.)

PS4 version is $40 new at GameStop.

Every EB I go to it's $80.

Anyway the digital version is only $60 so IDK maybe I'll pick that up if I ever get around to it. Odin Sphere's combat was real boring so I'm psyched about the improvements.

Lorcain

This is one of my favorite games on PS4. It's a really fun brawler with a great artistic style. If you like Vanillaware's other games, like Dragon's Crown, this is a no brainer.

Teggy

Quick question - I am about halfway into the Pooka storyline, and while I'm curious about the full story, the thought of doing this gameplay loop for another 20-30 hours doesn't seem all that attractive. I have Dragon's Crown and Muramasa as well - are they very similar to this or is it worth giving them a shot if I'm not enamored by the gameplay here?

Quick question - I am about halfway into the Pooka storyline, and while I'm curious about the full story, the thought of doing this gameplay loop for another 20-30 hours doesn't seem all that attractive. I have Dragon's Crown and Muramasa as well - are they very similar to this or is it worth giving them a shot if I'm not enamored by the gameplay here?

For me, the story is what kept me invested, and that was with the PS2 version, with the inferior gameplay. I have not played Muramasa yet, but Dragons Crown is basically a 2D beat-em up, with a good number of stages and bosses. You do end up fighting the same bosses over and over again, but you have the loot gathering and the different play styles of the characters.

Muramasa is arguably better actually. I thought the story really grabbed me there and the dlc was just excellent. Dragon's Crown is great with friends basically an update to Golden Axe and the Capcom D&D games (I believe dragon's crown began as a pitch to capcom for an updated D&D brawler) so both are good. If you can manage a night with friends and 4 controllers dragon's crown is intense.

Teggy

For me, the story is what kept me invested, and that was with the PS2 version, with the inferior gameplay. I have not played Muramasa yet, but Dragons Crown is basically a 2D beat-em up, with a good number of stages and bosses. You do end up fighting the same bosses over and over again, but you have the loot gathering and the different play styles of the characters.

Muramasa is arguably better actually. I thought the story really grabbed me there and the dlc was just excellent. Dragon's Crown is great with friends basically an update to Golden Axe and the Capcom D&D games (I believe dragon's crown began as a pitch to capcom for an updated D&D brawler) so both are good. If you can manage a night with friends and 4 controllers dragon's crown is intense.

In both cases these are pure brawlers, then? Enter area, kill guys? There's no exploration or anything, correct?

It does look like both Muramasa and Dragon's Crown are significantly shorter games. Having to repeat the same areas over and over is a lot of what was getting me down about Odin Sphere.

In both cases these are pure brawlers, then? Enter area, kill guys? There's no exploration or anything, correct?

It does look like both Muramasa and Dragon's Crown are significantly shorter games. Having to repeat the same areas over and over is a lot of what was getting me down about Odin Sphere.

Dragons Crown is mainly a Loot Based brawler. Each area has a alternate path, but you mainly are fighting left to right, to reach the end boss. Its a very fun game, but to really get into it you need to play on the harder settings. Its a great game to play with others.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm at the
Armageddon
book. Holy hell this game never ends. Cleared two chapters, I used
Mercedes for the 6-eyed beast
, and
Cornelius for the King of the Dead
, since they seemed to fit the story. Not that I care about this boring, pompous, annoying, clusterfuck of a story, mind... :p

Did I misread or I can access the item box somehow? How do you do that again? I was thrown right into the battle. I won the first two fights but I'm not sure if I'm well-stocked in food and potions with everyone... :|

Muramasa is very repetitive. Dragon's Crown is the best Vanillaware game in my opinion, if you like loot and playing with people, is a joy, for single player is also a great game.

I'm at the
Armageddon
book. Holy hell this game never ends. Cleared two chapters, I used
Mercedes for the 6-eyed beast
, and
Cornelius for the King of the Dead
, since they seemed to fit the story. Not that I care about this boring, pompous, annoying, clusterfuck of a story, mind... :p

Did I misread or I can access the item box somehow? How do you do that again? I was thrown right into the battle. I won the first two fights but I'm not sure if I'm well-stocked in food and potions with everyone... :|

To prepare for the final book, go to each characters own books and prepare ahead of time.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
To prepare for the final book, go to each characters own books and prepare ahead of time.
Yeah, I figured that out eventually. I also reloaded the Armageddon book, 'cause I found the endings of the first two chapters to be a little too sad and figured something was off, then I re-read the notes and saw there was a character you were meant to use for each chapter. I got a
rather happy
ending, so I'm guessing if
you don't follow the prophecies, the ending is sad
?

Most of those bosses are really underwhelming tbh. Just damage sponges but not hard at all.
Levanthan
was especially boring... I think
Onyx
was the most fun one.

Yeah, I figured that out eventually. I also reloaded the Armageddon book, 'cause I found the endings of the first two chapters to be a little too sad and figured something was off, then I re-read the notes and saw there was a character you were meant to use for each chapter. I got a
rather happy
ending, so I'm guessing if
you don't follow the prophecies, the ending is sad
?

Most of those bosses are really underwhelming tbh. Just damage sponges but not hard at all.
Levanthan
was especially boring... I think
Onyx
was the most fun one.

To get the curtain call, you will need to get all the scenes in the Armageddon book anyway, so you might as well get a head start in seeing them. Some of those scenes...man...

Does this game have a end-game mode like dragons crown (50 000 floors) been playing that game for 300 hours now thinking of picking up either muramasa or odins sphere but I dont know which game is Most similar to dragons crown

drotahorror

Does this game have a end-game mode like dragons crown (50 000 floors) been playing that game for 300 hours now thinking of picking up either muramasa or odins sphere but I dont know which game is Most similar to dragons crown

No idea but the game is 30+ hours long so that's a good bit of playtime regardless.

I've had the urge to go back to playing Dragon's Crown the past couple days. Gonna pick that up and Odin Sphere on PS3. Odin Sphere is like half the price on PS3....

Almost plat'd DC but I really just want to grind and kill some stuff.

Man, fuuuuuuuck the airship miniboss. Framerate tanked to shit and just garbage completely filling the screen.

I FULLY agree with you. I have to resort to major item spam on these mid bosses. It still takes me a few tries to get though these, with all the madness that tends to go on.

I just put the game on Easy for the airship fights. No reason to subject yourself to the bad framerate and overall frustrating fight, especially when the game recycles the airship several times.

Hycran

Banned
So I just played the demo and I know that vanillaware games can be a bit repetitive, but I feel like if I wanted a pure 2d action game I could replay muramasa, or if I wanted something a bit more dynamic I could play dragons crown again. Is there something I'm missing from the demo that is remarkably different or better than those games? I just feel like my time is at a premium nowadays and I don't want to spend the money only to drop the game.

ScOULaris

So I just played the demo and I know that vanillaware games can be a bit repetitive, but I feel like if I wanted a pure 2d action game I could replay muramasa, or if I wanted something a bit more dynamic I could play dragons crown again. Is there something I'm missing from the demo that is remarkably different or better than those games? I just feel like my time is at a premium nowadays and I don't want to spend the money only to drop the game.
Well, the demo is obscenely easy. It didn't impress me at all. The full game is much better in that regard, although even there I recommend playing on Hard.

But you're right to think that this game sits in between Muramasa and Dragon's Crown in terms of design. That being said, its combat is actually WAY more fleshed out and dynamic than that of Muramasa. It really feels like a 2D character-action game now.

Just keep in mind that, as with all Vanillaware games, it does begin to feel a bit repetitive by the time you reach the end. But at least in this game it's paced to allow you to constantly be unlocking new abilities for each character all the way through their respective playthroughs.

Still though. Since you seemed to have liked their other two games, I highly recommend picking this up. It's not perfect, but there's nothing else like it.

Top Bottom