• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir |OT| Second Revision

pariah164

GVQdcGo.png

nMDCoTk.png

Developer: Vanillaware
Publisher: Atlus (JP/NA); NIS America (UK); Bandai Namco Entertainment (AUS)
Genre: Action RPG
Rating: T for Teen; PEGI 12

Release Dates:

- January 14, 2016 (JP)
- June 7, 2016 (NA)
- June 24, 2016 (EU)

Price:

Standard Edition:

- $39.99/£31.99 (Vita) $49.99/£39.99 (PS3) $59.99/£39.99 (PS4)
-- Everyone who pre-orders the standard game, regardless of the system, receives a 64-page, soft cover art book.

Limited Edition:

- Storybook Edition (PS4 Only) ($79.99/£64.99)
-- Game with collector's metal slipcase
-- Art print
-- Potion recipe t-shirt
-- Hardcover version of the 64-page art book
-- Premium outer box

5hZ0zcl.png

Our tale begins in a library, held within an attic. A young girl, Alice, finds and begins to read a book entitled "Valkyrie"...

The kingdom of Valentine was the most powerful country on the continent of Erion. Its people thrived using the magical power of the Crystallization Cauldron, but it was destroyed in one fateful night. And so, a war over the now master-less Cauldron has begun, involving all the nations of the land and growing more intense by the day. Is the End near, as the Prophecy states?

This is a tale of Armageddon, told in five books, and by five protagonists...

ATLUS does an excellent job explaining all the features in the game. Combat system, character growth, food... the list goes on. Rather than having me steal their thunder, click the Gameplay banner to check it out on the official ATLUS site!

6ak52uo.png

Videos:

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Storybook Trailer

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Skills & Combat Trailer
Alchemy and Cooking in Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
The World's End Draws Near in Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (Launch Trailer)
Character trailers: Gwendolyn | Cornelius | Mercedes | Oswald | Velvet

There is a review thread for the game! Click the banner to go have a look.

mA2PyoU.png

Q: So, is this a remake?

A: Yep. It's a remake/remaster of the 2007/2008 PS2 game. But don't let that turn you off. There's new enemies, improved systems, and lots of tweaks that make the game shine even more.

Q: How does it run?

A: On Vita, smooth as butter. To see for yourself how it runs before you buy it, download the free demo on PSN.

Q: I loved Muramasa/Dragon's Crown, but hated Muramasa/Dragon's Crown. Will I like this?

A: I see Odin Sphere as it's own beast; it's hard to compare it to either game, and I like all three. If I have to, I'd describe it as the fast-paced combat of Muramasa meets the deep, complex RPG system of Dragon's Crown, with it's own unique touches mixed in. Again, the best way to judge is to play the demo and make your own decision.

Q: How the hell do you pronounce 'Leifthrasir'?

A: I personally use 'Lei-f-thra-sear'. May be wrong.
I don't care.

Q: ... Best girl?

A: Velvet.

c6T5t74.gif

Thanks to Yasumi for the OT title.

Nice OT. I'm really excited but Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy yet. Crossing my fingers it'll be here tomorrow!

FluxWaveZ

I opted for Mirror's Edge instead, but this was one of my most anticipated games this year so I'm looking forward to playing it sooner than later.

Azuardo

Still playing this. The story is longer than I expected. Such a beautiful game, but it surprised me in a great way to learn the story is just as lovely.

Syril

I'm glad they still brought over the PS3 version, considering some games have been passing on those lately.

Uzukii

Banned
-- Everyone who pre-orders the standard game, regardless of the system, receives a 64-page, soft cover art book.
I did not know this. I preordered the Vita version from Best Buy and didn't see anything about it.

Q: ... Best girl?

A: Velvet.
Hell Yeah! When I bought the PS2 version back in the day she was just about the only character I played before quitting the game out of frustration due to the framerate. I made a forum signature of her.

Pejo

Man I'm so excited to play this guy when I get home tonight. I totally forgot it was coming out until I received a delivery notification earlier today.

DJwest

Never played the original and reviews are great so I'll pick this up. On a side note, is Dragon's Crown worth it on ps3 ?

Kureizu

Really nice OT. Never played the original and I loved the demo. I was originally gonna wait for the EU release but I guess I'll just get it tomorrow from the US store. Why wait?

B00TE

Nice OT!

Eager to jump back in and see all the changes for myself, I remember my brother and I alternating stories for the original game and the frustration that followed from the mechanics at the time. We still enjoyed the hell out of it, however.

Not picking this up right at launch, but I should have it in a week or two. I fully expect by the time I've finished it I'll be jonesing for some Dragon's Crown tho, haha.

Corpekata

Banned
Play it on hard peoples.

You can switch mid game either way so if it somehow ends up being too hard, you can switch to normal.

Play it on hard peoples.

You can switch mid game either way so if it somehow ends up being too hard, you can switch to normal.

I'd heard it was super easy, even on normal so this is what I was planning to do. Is there a level above hard that is unlocked from the start or is hard as far is it goes?

Corpekata

Banned
I'd heard it was super easy, even on normal so this is what I was planning to do. Is there a level above hard that is unlocked from the start or is hard as far is it goes?

Hell and NG+ are unlocked after clearing the game, nothing else at the start.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Always wanted to play this on PS2 but never got a chance so I'm very excited for this.

Amazon shipped out my Collectors Edition. Anyone know what size the T-shirt is? I really hope it fits that was one of the reasons I got the CE.

Always wanted to play this on PS2 but never got a chance so I'm very excited for this.

Amazon shipped out my Collectors Edition. Anyone know what size the T-shirt is? I really hope it fits that was one of the reasons I got the CE.

Looking at the IGN unboxing, it looks like a large.

Isotope

Everyone who pre-orders the standard game, regardless of the system, receives a 64-page, soft cover art book.

Oh, I didn't know this; this is wonderful news then! I nearly opted for the Storybook version because I thought the artbook was exclusive to that. Glad to know I should be getting it tomorrow (I pre-ordered from Amazon last week)!

This OT reminded me that I haven't seen a shipping confirmation email from Amazon yet, this release kind of slipped my mind. Just checked and my special/collector's/whatever edition isn't due to arrive until Thursday.

Damn. Seems to be happening more and more with my Amazon pre-orders. I won't have much free time after Tuesday evening. Hopefully I can get a few hours in this weekend.

Hope everyone else has fun with it, at least.

This OT reminded me that I haven't seen a shipping confirmation email from Amazon yet, this release kind of slipped my mind. Just checked and my special/collector's/whatever edition isn't due to arrive until Thursday.

Damn. Seems to be happening more and more with my Amazon pre-orders. I won't have much free time after Tuesday evening. Hopefully I can get a few hours in this weekend.

Hope everyone else has fun with it, at least.

I'm in the same boat but mine says it is arriving tomorrow by 8pm. I had an order for Atelier Sophie, which also comes out tomorrow, which said it was going to be in on Thursday but I cancelled and reordered it and now it says it is coming tomorrow. Neither have shipped though, so I don't know what is going on.

Oh, I didn't know this; this is wonderful news then! I nearly opted for the Storybook version because I thought the artbook was exclusive to that. Glad to know I should be getting it tomorrow (I pre-ordered from Amazon last week)!
Seems like it's only Gamestop doing that promotion in the US, nothing listed on Best Buy or Amazon

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I ordered the storybook edition from Amazon. It shipped today, but I'm like 4 hours away from home until Thursday!

Nice OT :D

Nice to hear I get a soft cover artbook, didn't realize that :O can't wait to get my copy tomorrow. I never really played the original so it's all new to me!

Philia

I got to the Fairy Queen bit and the harvesting for items to kill blobs really killed it for me. I couldn't progress that fucking point. :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, the story book edition is much nicer than I thought it'd be. Shirt's huge, but everything else is great.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Game's freaking awesome. I had already liked the original, but this one is so much better in every way possible.

Top Bottom