• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir |OT| Second Revision

Leynos

I thought that this was releasing next week, so this is pleasant news. Let's just see if my Amazon order comes with the soft-cover artbook, or not. I didn't know anything about it until just now, so I won't be upset if it doesn't come with one.

I'm in the same boat but mine says it is arriving tomorrow by 8pm. I had an order for Atelier Sophie, which also comes out tomorrow, which said it was going to be in on Thursday but I cancelled and reordered it and now it says it is coming tomorrow. Neither have shipped though, so I don't know what is going on.

I did something similar a few months back, canceling a game that was shipping out after release date only to see that re-ordering it magically bumped it up to release date shipping.

Really, it's not a huge deal, but this happened to me frequently at my old house, and only in the past six months or so has it started to occur more and more frequently (I'd guess maybe a third of the games I've ordered through Amazon since January have arrived after their release date, and I buy a lot of goddamned games, almost exclusively through Amazon & BB).

I'd make a joke about them valuing their customers who care enough to pre-order way ahead of time, but the problem probably lies in that, apparently, their logistics have changed (at least around me). I've seen several DHL packages out of nowhere (literally never had something from them here in MI before), plenty of USPS handling/UPS/Fedex to USPS fulfillment, etc. They probably have last-minute orders handled via direct shipping, and try and push these types of orders along with cheaper and potentially less reliable shipping.

And that sucks if it's an accurate assumption, being a Prime member and all (let alone release date shipping). Anyway, I realize I've wasted my time typing up this half-assed rant/complaint, and I see this type of discussion in other threads that quickly leads to off-topic chatter for multiple pages, so excuse me.

I just decided to take Sunday off of work, since I'm really in the mood to dive back into this after all these years. I tried to give my PS2 copy a go a year or two back, but I got a little impatient with it, and this update seems to be the cure to that (with better IQ to boot). There's no doubt in my mind it's worth the money, but I love all their games.

Kouriozan

Great OT, suck that EU has to wait 17 more days T-T
Anyway, didn't play the PS2 version, heard about it but that's it. Loved Muramasa on Wii, played it on Vita with PS+, as Dragon's Crown, totally fell in love with Vanillaware, so I was happy to hear that the PS4 version would be more like Muramasa.
Going to try classic gameplay though.

pariah164

I breezed through Normal on the Demo, so I'll start the game on Hard. Will scale it back if it starts to kick my ass to toss-VIta levels.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm almost done with Mercedes' playthrough and a few impressions:

- Cornelius is really really strong on Normal, you can breeze through his playthrough
- Mercedes was harder to use. I died a few times even after being overleveled.
- Normal is easy to play.
- If I played the old version, it would have been very repetitive, the locations look the same on the playthroughs but at least the gameplay is very fun.

- Cornelius is really really strong on Normal, you can breeze through his playthrough
- If I played the old version, it would have been very repetitive, the locations look the same on the playthroughs but at least the gameplay is very fun.

Have you tried out hard mode? If so, how much a difference was there between normal and hard?

joe2187

Banned
Double Dipped for Storybook LE and Vita retail version.

I plainumed Dragons Crown and Muramasa and it's DLC and I will gladly do it again for Odin Sphere.

So sad and angry! Gamestop just called me and said the manufacturer did not send out the order in time, so i wont get my copy till Wednesday. I was getting psyched for tommorrow...

So sad and angry! Gamestop just called me and said the manufacturer did not send out the order in time, so i wont get my copy till Wednesday. I was getting psyched for tommorrow...

Last time Gamestop called me for something like this, they still got the game in on time. Hopefully the same happens for you.

Cornelius in the demo was broken as fuck.

Like the knight dude was more fun to play, but that god damn bunny wrecked everything.

I'm also curious how different hard and normal are. I was breezing through normal so I'll have to try hard at first.

Ultimadrago

Yeah, Cornelius was the cheesiest character in the original for me, so I could see how making him even more fluent would make the game a breeze. I loved him for that stuff.

How does Mercedes control exactly compared to the original?

On reading the difficulty from GAF, I think I'll go Normal. I bruted through the True End in the original and really mostly want to experience the story again in better visuals/new combat mechanics. So I'll be A-Okay with easy breezy.

I'm afraid it'll still come off to me as repetitive in this iteration. A better combat experience will certainly help, but I'm not sure I have the same patience I did back then. Well, I did make it through 100+ levels of Dragon's Crown's EX Labyrinth, so I could have it in me. The co-op breathed life into that though...

pariah164

Well, since I ordered the Vita version, I'm good. Apparently, from what I was told, the Storybook edition was not in.

mbwUERm.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've never tried hard mode but all I can say is if you want a challenge, go for hard.

I've never played the original so I don't know Mercedes plays like. You can play the original version in this game anyway (and you even have the option to go 4:3!)

Also this is hands down the best Vanillaware game now because the gameplay is actually fun and it's not as repetitive as Muramasa.

Hero

I am so, so SO happy this got a proper remaster. Out of all the Vanillaware games this one appealed to me the most with its characters and I was really bummed out by how lackluster the actual gameplay/combat/etc were of the original PS2 release. Everything was slow and sluggish and the forced crafting with its limitations just frustrated me. As much as I wanted to love the game I could never complete it. Sounds like all my problems have been solved.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Ordered the regular version for Vita and Storybook version for PS4 from Amazon. The Vita version shipped Sunday night; the Storybook version shipped today, but both are listed as on time for delivery tomorrow.

nikos

My hype levels for this grew tenfold after playing the demo. Need to decide which platform to get it for first. Portability vs big screen. Tough decision.

ULTROS!

I've never played the original game though, what's the general impression on the gameplay of the PS2 version?

This game is by far speedy. It takes me around less than 5 hours to complete a character's playthrough (including visiting all the maps, getting all the items, and completing the trials). The platinum is easy too: basically get all the skills, do a 200 combo, eat all of Maury's food, and complete the game till the true ending.

cj_iwakura

Thanks; I kinda put it together by the seat of my pants, so I'm glad it looks decent.

Hang in there. EU's got it rough.

That's damn impressive for such a short amount of time.

I'm more than happy with my PS2 copy(that game took FOREVER), but enjoy it, newcomers: it's a gem.

Now bring on GrimGrimoire, Kamitani; that I'll double dip on in a nano.

I've never played the original game though, what's the general impression on the gameplay of the PS2 version?
Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Lots of retreading.

I had at least 60 hours clocked.

Hmmm... I was gonna go digital with the vita version but the storybook edition is calling my name too... NO DON'T DOUBLE DIP!

So tempting to spend money!

Ultimadrago

This game is by far speedy. It takes me around less than 5 hours to complete a character's playthrough (including visiting all the maps, getting all the items, and completing the trials). The platinum is easy too: basically get all the skills, do a 200 combo, eat all of Maury's food, and complete the game till the true ending.

The gameplay in the original is largely sluggish by comparison. It had considerable slowdown, long recovery times and worked on a stamina system that limited how much you could crank out moves in a string. Hearing that this game has much faster combat, new execution for skills and no stamina (all from just what I've heard as I haven't even played the new demo), it seems a no-brainer that many prefer it over the original's mechanics.

I'll say, while I had my issues with combat back-in-the-day, it never came off unplayable to me. Then again, I was younger and more accepting of title flaws. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one!

last time I had UPS deliver something, they didn't even buzz and left a note

thinking of leaving a note when i'm at school and then camping outside when i get back so i don't miss them

i really want to play this tomorrow

ULTROS!

The gameplay in the original is largely sluggish by comparison. It had considerable slowdown, long recovery times and worked on a stamina system that limited how much you could crank out moves in a string. Hearing that this game has much faster combat, new execution for skills and no stamina (all from just what I've heard as I haven't even played the new demo), it seems a no-brainer that many prefer it over the original's mechanics.

I'll say, while I had my issues with combat back-in-the-day, it never came off unplayable to me. Then again, I was younger and more accepting of title flaws. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one!

Yeah, I noticed the stamina bar will reduce every time you attack, it's kinda annoying if you want to execute a continuous combo. I think at this age, the original game might be unplayable.

it's strange that I didn't see a pre-order for this on psn. Anyways loved the original, but a little tired of Vanillaware's combat mechanics right now regardless of how good they can be. So Vanillaware upgraded their engine to ps4 so we might see their next game at E3. Good on Sega btw.

Ultimadrago

Yeah, I noticed the stamina bar will reduce every time you attack, it's kinda annoying if you want to execute a continuous combo. I think at this age, the original game might be unplayable.

Quite. I have no plans of playing Classic Mode once I eventually get around to playing this version. For me it'll just be best left in the past. I still think it's a neat option added for those that want that original's flair though whether to play it as it was originally designed or for nostalgic reasons whatnot.

ScOULaris

Nah, it's still very playable. It's just a bit more methodical like an action-RPG whereas Leifthrasir plays more like a straight-up action game.

cj_iwakura

it's strange that I didn't see a pre-order for this on psn. Anyways loved the original, but a little tired of Vanillaware's combat mechanics right now regardless of how good they can be.

GrimGrimoire is the only truly unique thing they've ever done. It's an RTS, and works.

GrimGrimoire is the only truly unique thing they've ever done. It's an RTS, and works.

I played grimGrimoire briefly a few years ago after having discovered Odin Sphere via Kotaku. Wasn't entirely sold on it (oh wow 9.99 usd on ps3), but it does give me hope that 13 Sentinels, their next game, might have something more unique in it. Vanilla ware makes amazing games, but Odin Sphere and Muramasa share a lot in common mechanically and while Dragon's Crown did its genre well I always feel they're creatively capable of so much more. Also Dragon's Crown needed DLC more than Muramasa did.

cj_iwakura

I played grimGrimoire briefly a few years ago after having discovered Odin Sphere via Kotaku. Wasn't entirely sold on it (oh wow 9.99 usd on ps3), but it does give me hope that 13 Sentinels, their next game, might have something more unique in it. Vanilla ware makes amazing games, but Odin Sphere and Muramasa share a lot in common mechanically and while Dragon's Crown did its genre well I always feel they're creatively capable of so much more

GG really shines later on once you unlock all the different races. And the story is fantastic.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Can anyone confirm that the artbook is included Amazon orders?

Amazon and Amazon.ca are definitely confirmed to include the artbook while supplies last. I just asked about Central/South America, and we apparently shipped artbooks to them as well. I can't speak to anything about quantity or how they distribute them, but I think we allotted enough for pre-orders.

Weird about the reports of Storybook editions being delayed a day, but I don't think the holdup was on our end!

ScOULaris

Amazon and Amazon.ca are definitely confirmed to include the artbook while supplies last. I just asked about Central/South America, and we apparently shipped artbooks to them as well. I can't speak to anything about quantity or how they distribute them, but I think we allotted enough for pre-orders.

Weird about the reports of Storybook editions being delayed a day, but I don't think the holdup was on our end!
Thanks for the clarification! I hope mine ends up coming with the artbook. The only reason I'm worried is because I had to redo my Amazon pre-order about a week ago to change the delivery address, and that time around it didn't mention the artbook in the description anymore.

Kremzeek

I preordered from Amazon, said I had release date delivery.
I didn't know about that softcover art book- I really hope it's included, otherwise I would have bit the bullet & preordered from GS.

[edit: oops I just read the post by atlus 2 posts above me!]

Top Bottom