• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OECD Obesity Update: Almost 39% of American Adults over age 15 now classified obese

G.ZZZ

Did I trigger you? You must be one of those twigs I referred to huh. Like i couldn't even get under the obese mark on the BMI if I wanted to. My brother is the same way and he is ripped from head to toe. I have a slight belly which im perfectly fine with. I have no desire to look like I'm starving.

obesity.png

RM8

No my point is you guys are acting like half the country is huge with bellies hanging out and shit. BMI is flawed because it doesn't take In to account someone's build and muscle also wieghs more than fat does. I just have always hated that stupid BMI index it doesn't apply to everyone is all I'm saying.
So what you're saying is, it's more believable to see America as mostly muscular as opposed to mostly obese?

vegohead

That's the straw that broke the camel's back for you, huh? Yeah, it's a shitty feeling. I remember what did it for me: I went for a jog for the first time in my life at 17. Yes, the first time ever. I had been active by dancing Romanian folk for a decade yet I still remained extremely overweight, at 245lbs, as previously stated, but I had never actually jogged for exercise before. It was when I could barely breathe after doing one lap around my apartment complex, the equivalent of .10 miles, that I realized I had to get my shit together. So I ran and walked a combination of 5 miles almost every other day for two months and lost 45 pounds.

I had gained it again several years later and went back to 220, but I brought it down from that two years ago. Now I've been in the 180s for over a year and I will NEVER let it happen again. It brings on depression and generally makes me lazy.

Wow, I was jealous from your initial post but you worked so hard to bring your weight down. I'm hovering around 220-230 and it's been a bitch to bring my weight down. I was 210 last year due to working two manual labor jobs and that was the thinnest I've been in 10 years.

I've changed alot of my eating habits but I just can't cut calories, I enjoy food too much :(

You get a skewed vision of Americans when you live in coastal Southern California. I went on a Caribbean cruise a couple years ago and there were a bunch of people from Middle America on it, and holy fuck was it shocking - they were huge! There were 12 year olds who weighed more than me.

Not sure if serious. Not making excuses but it's easier said than done. Americans work longer hrs than people in most other countries so preparing meals from scratch is not really feasible for people working​ long hours/2 jobs to make ends meet.

We can make better choices I agree like not eating out so much, trying to get some exercise in but making meals from scratch is not feasible for most because of time constraints.

I work long hours and eat outside a lot, but you don't have to eat at McDonalds. There are lots of healthy places with fresh food. Even better when you combine eating outside with walking or cycling.

RDreamer

You get a skewed vision of Americans when you live in coastal Southern California. I went on a Caribbean cruise a couple years ago and there were a bunch of people from Middle America on it, and holy fuck was it shocking - they were huge! There were 12 year olds who weighed more than me.

Childhood obesity wasn't so crazy in middle america where I grew up when I did, but looking at people from my high school class now is crazy. It's like about 75% of them turned into weird balloon versions of the people I knew.

Alot of parents are proud of their elementary school kids being 200+ lbs, "Gonna be great football players!"

Fuchsdh

It's a bit funny that the lower half of that chart is mostly self-reported while the upper half is mostly measured, but I assume that wouldn't make up such a massive difference.

With self-reported stats? I'd say it could make a hell of a difference. Who is honestly going to admit "yeah I'm terribly obese"?

And yeah living on the east coast in well-educated and well-off cities distorts your view of the average American pretty heavily. But the difference just between people living in Manhattan and Brooklyn is pretty stark, let alone hitting poorer suburbs and rural areas.

Thaedolus

The problem is there's no simple solution. Diet is the major factor, exercise less so, but time, money and motivation all play into those. Being more affluent and working a white collar job, I've got more time and money to spend on quality food and exercise stuff (like cycling equipment). A lot of people don't have the time or money to spend on healthy shit, so they just grab garbage because it's cheap and easy. And once you're in the cycle of feeling like shit all the time cause your fat and out of shape, it's super hard finding the motivation to change that. I struggled with my weight because my parents raised me while they were in that cycle. Breaking out of it as an adult has been a constant struggle. Only now that I've got more free time and more money for good food and doing active stuff is it feeling easier. But I've also got an active wife who won't let me just sit around. A lot of people aren't that fortunate.

Despera

Banned
Interesting how many people are blaming the food. It isn't the food, it is the sedentary lifestyle, at least from what I've seen. Go to work, sit at a desk all day, come home, sit on the couch all evening, go to bed, repeat. I've found that I can eat whatever I want and however much of it I want as long as I'm getting a commensurate amount of exercise.
I spent sometime not working out at all and eating only when I felt hungry. I ended up eating one meal a day and losing weight gradually. Within two weeks people started commenting about my weight loss.

As long as you don't have health issues preventing weight loss, it can be easily achieved by cutting back on food intake.

It's really fucking simple really. You work harder you're allowed to eat more, you work less you get to eat less.

Neo C.

The US have past the point of no return. We've talked about obesity for at least two decades, yet there isn't any improvement. There's a need for a statewide effort, but I don't believe the two parties ever find a common ground in this regard.

SeanR1221

Yeah though atm I feel guilty af on this cut due to having a cheat weekend since I'm going out so not tracking until tomorrow again. But fuu I've lost 6 lbs and I'm seeing a noticeable reduction in body fat. It's insane how many calories people eat normally after tracking everything I eat. Like I always see people eat out every day when I only eat out like once a week on a cheat day.

That's the nice part about tracking. You can see how multiple cheats can ruin a diet.

Skinpop

The US have past the point of no return. We've talked about obesity for at least two decades, yet there isn't any improvement. There's a need for a statewide effort, but I don't believe the two parties ever find a common ground in this regard.

is there a developed country that has been able to reverse the obesity trend? I don't think so but maybe I'm mistaken.

There's a lot of solutions being thrown around anf the trying to pinpoint a problem. But the thing is that there are a myriad of problems that all connect and all cause a engative cycle into the result we have.

Pretty much one of the way is making and consuming whole foods mostly from plant sources. Making and serving your meals will result in lower proportions and eating whole plant foods provides the lower calories, low fat health benefits.

Another thing is daily activity which is hard since work schedules take over your life more and more.

This can be solved but the core problem is that the major players in the food industry won't allow this to happen. Too much money and lobbying. It's quite sad. This is late stage capitalism. Where corporations are killing us from every stage to long hours to prevent activity, and need to convenience crap foods that are really cheap because of govt. subsidies, that people buy because they don't get paid much and get by paycheck to paycheck. To crap healthcare when the problems build over time.

The only thing we can do is grassroots community education along with providing available whole plant foods to everyone (including those in food deserts). As well as Community based exercise. Because just changing the culture is best, but it won't work without government intervention and that's very very unlikely at this stage.

Nelo Ice

Banned
That's the nice part about tracking. You can see how multiple cheats can ruin a diet.
Yeah I'm going to right back on track tomorrow and actually I need to meal prep today. I have a my first actual full time job now and last week I learned just how little waking hours you get on work days. Was scrambling to eat my diet in the short amount of waking time I had on top doing my workout.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It is interesting though that Japan and South Korea even with their rampant industrialization have kept their obesity rates so low even though they are rising everywhere, it is not as if they have any less of a sedentary lifestyle, transit, office work, convenience and ease of access to food.
A couple of differences off the top of my head:

USA's extremely heavy and ingrained car culture.

Japan and Korea have greater access to public transport, which encourages pedestrian activity.

USA's stupid non-science nutritional science campaign in the late 70s and 80s.

Traditional diet of Japanese and Korean food is pretty healthy and contains lots of veggies.

Much much greater societal pressure against being fat in Japan and Korea.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm not surprised.

I'm from Canada. My girlfriend and I were in Hawai this winter. We went to Cheesecake Factory. Dear god.

We split a lunch sized portion of Louisiana Chicken Pasta. That was more than enough for the 2 of us. It was 1400 calories. The dinner sized portion is 2050 calories!

Someone could go to Cheesecake Factory and order the following for dinner:

Pasta Carbonara with Chicken - 2290 calories
Coke - 160 calories
Piece of Chocolate Truffle Cake - 1680 calories

That's 4130 calories in a single meal. And without even factoring in the free bread/butter or any appetizers. I mean, a single piece of that cake is more calories than most people should eat in a single day.

America has a problem with food portions, no doubt.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I don't live in the US but I was there recently and the idea that 38% is obese is hard to believe to me. But, I always considered obese to be fat to the point it hampers movement and ability to exercise. As in 300+ pounds. But apparently my perception is incorrect and obese is a wider spectrum.

In the end who am I to judge though. I work out 5 times a week, I cut most sugar from my diet, and I am active during the day. Yet I'm still fat. So I ain't going to judge others for struggling with their weight unless they aren't doing shit about it.

The most obese state has almost twice as much obesity as the least obese state so going to one area doesn't mean much.

NewGame

Banned
When my parents went over to America they wanted to see those really big fatties who need to sit in mopeds.

But they went to California and were disappointed because most people looked like Baywatch extras.

We should all eat like Japan. Almost no obesity and high life expectancy.

And americans think white rice and carbs are bad for you.

I'm not surprised.

I'm from Canada. My girlfriend and I were in Hawai this winter. We went to Cheesecake Factory. Dear god.

We split a lunch sized portion of Louisiana Chicken Pasta. That was more than enough for the 2 of us. It was 1400 calories. The dinner sized portion is 2050 calories!

Coke - 160 calories

That's 4130 calories in a single meal. And without even factoring in the free bread/butter or any appetizers. I mean, a single piece of that cake is more calories than most people should eat in a single day.

That pasta probably has 5000 mg of sodium in it too. The cake and soda is hundreds of grams of sugar. It's poison.

Linkura

Went to the OECD website and the chart there says almost 70% of Americans are overweight (including obesity). Fuck.

There's so many factors here that have come together and made this a perfect storm. Poor nutrition and physical education, huge portion sizes, sneaking sugar/HFCS into everything, poor walkability in many areas..... It's a fucking mess and I don't know how we could possibly reverse it at this point.

spekkeh

Banned
I know how BMI is more a general statistic for the general population, but I like how almost half of this thread has a BMI of over thirty but is not obese, nope, they're that one outlier you see.

is there a developed country that has been able to reverse the obesity trend? I don't think so but maybe I'm mistaken.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dutch-turn-around-obesity-epidemic-trend-329090.html

We should all eat like Japan. Almost no obesity and high life expectancy.

While Japan definitely has more healthy snacks, when I lived there I didn't think they were eating that much more healthy. I'm sure genetics plays a part here too.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Coke - 160 calories

That stuff is downright vile. Yeah no shit people will get fat off of ridiculous meals like that.

RDreamer

I'm not surprised.

Coke - 160 calories

I'm not sure I know anyone at all that goes to Cheesecake Factory and actually eats their whole plate of food. Yes, our portions for an actual meal are out of whack in the US but I think out of country people don't realize that when most of us go out to eat we're bringing back half or more of that food. My fiance usually gets three meals out of restaurant food and I can get two. Unless it's a diner breakfast or something which usually isn't hitting above 2000 calories.

I'm not disputing that we have a major problem with food portions, though. We absolutely do. Sedentary lifestyle plus some of the restaurant meals even cut in half is too much.

I know how BMI is more a general statistic for the general population, but I like how almost half of this thread has a BMI of over thirty but is not obese, nope, they're that one outlier you see.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dutch-turn-around-obesity-epidemic-trend-329090.html

While Japan definitely has more healthy snacks, when I lived there I didn't think they were eating that much more healthy. I'm sure genetics plays a part here too.

Also could be that most of Asia is lactose intolerant so no fatty cheese and dairy. Not going to find much cheese in Asian cooking.

bakedpony

This is why fat acceptance shouldn't be a thing, When someone is obese, don't tell them that it's okay and they should be proud of who they are. Tell them that being obese is ugly, unhealthy and to wake the fuck up.

It's because of all the snacks, soda, rich foods and eating out which is super addicting. Once you start eating like that you want to always eat like that because it tastes so good and now you're getting way more calories than you need. Junk food and super rich food has basically become part of the culture. People now expect a meal to be super fatty and filling.

Went to the OECD website and the chart there says almost 70% of Americans are overweight (including obesity). Fuck.

There's so many factors here that have come together and made this a perfect storm. Poor nutrition and physical education, huge portion sizes, sneaking sugar/HFCS into everything, poor walkability in many areas..... It's a fucking mess and I don't know how we could possibly reverse it at this point.

The government would have to get involved.

-Proper education on health and fitness (I had to learn about this myself)
-Subsidizing water, fruit, vegetables, fish, chicken, dairy, grains.
-Taxing the living hell out of soda, chips, frozen pizza's, desert items, etc.
-Mandatory installation of calorie trackers into smart phones and giving consumers a discount for daily use of the app.

Linkura

Portion sizes and the fact that Japanese people walk a lot are the major factors.

tcrunch

This is why fat acceptance shouldn't be a thing, When someone is obese, don't tell them that it's okay and they should be proud of who they are. Tell them that being obese is ugly, unhealthy and to wake the fuck up.

Are you a fan of negging to get dates too?

Linkura

The government would have to get involved.

-Proper education on health and fitness (I had to learn about this myself)
-Subsidizing water, fruit, vegetables, fish, chicken, dairy, grains.
-Taxing the living hell out of soda, chips, frozen pizza's, desert items, etc.
-Mandatory installation of calorie trackers into smart phones and giving consumers a discount for daily use of the app.

Of course none of this will happen because it would cause a shitstorm. Politicians and the public would rather just have everyone slowly die because of optics, corporate favoritism, and "freedoms." :(

tcrunch

Of course none of this will happen because it would cause a shitstorm. Politicians and the public would rather just have everyone slowly die because of optics and "freedoms." :(

There are at least two Federal programs related to nutrition education, SNAP-Ed and EFNEP. They have always been tremendously underfunded, but they do exist (at least till another year of TrumpCo).

bakedpony

Are you a fan of negging to get dates too?

I just googled what that means and nope, I don't agree with that strategy.

That doesn't work at all.

Of course it shouldn't be done in a harsh way. When a kid is starting to become fat, it's the parent's job to step in and make sure it doesn't get worse. My point is we should never allow obese people to be happy about being obese.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm not sure I know anyone at all that goes to Cheesecake Factory and actually eats their whole plate of food. Yes, our portions for an actual meal are out of whack in the US but I think out of country people don't realize that when most of us go out to eat we're bringing back half or more of that food. My fiance usually gets three meals out of restaurant food and I can get two. Unless it's a diner breakfast or something which usually isn't hitting above 2000 calories.

I'm not disputing that we have a major problem with food portions, though. We absolutely do. Sedentary lifestyle plus some of the restaurant meals even cut in half is too much.

Even a half portion of that Chicken Carbonara is too much for a single meal (1140 calories). And there are still a lot of people out there that find it emasculating to share a meal, not finish a meal, or to take the rest of the meal home.

I think Ontario's new menu calorie law should be instated in every single restaurant, everywhere. No restaurant or chain is too small to be able to provide caloric data. I've heard owners complain that they are being penalized for giving generous portions, and I completely disagree with them. Restaurants should revise their business models with reasonable portions in mind.

It feels so wasteful when I go to Shawarma Palace and see half eaten plates left on tables, just because portion sized were too large. And you know that if someone failed to finish their plate, that they still overate anyways. The only thing overly generous portions encourages is food waste and obesity.

Part of the problem is not as many families cook dinner anymore. In most cases, both parents work. They find it easier to drive by a restaurant for take-out versus heading home to cook something up.
And, IMO, this trend can be traced back to the lifestyle choices (McMansions, nice cars, etc) and cost of living driving dual income families.

Boem

I'm not surprised.

Coke - 160 calories

I first went to the US back in 2000, when I was 12. Big family roadtrip. I was a big kid back then - not obese, but definitely on the heavier side. I remember all of us being absolutely shocked at the portions whenever we ordered food. We actually have pictures of us posing with the portions, with our hands besides the plates, heh.

We did a lot of hiking and stuff like that (beautiful nature, definitely jealous of that), and I just couldn't handle it. Already being out of shape and having just way too much food was a shock to my system when actually having to spend entire days walking. I pretty much switched to mainly salads because I woke up every day feeling like death. Which actually resulted in me leaving the US thinner than when I came in! I got my growth spurt not too long after that so I was fine from then on, but man, there was definitely a major difference in eating habits between the US and Europe.

Of course, this was 17 years ago, and we had to go out to eat almost every single day.

Part of the problem is not as many families cook dinner anymore. In most cases, both parents work. They find it easier to drive by a restaurant for take-out versus heading home to cook something up.
And, IMO, this trend can be traced back to the lifestyle choices (McMansions, nice cars, etc) and cost of living driving dual income families.

I've heard this a lot (including in this thread), but working long hours really isn't exclusive to the US. Me and my girlfriend both work full-time. Almost all my friends that are in relationships have both partners working - some of them have young children that demand a lot of time. The idea that one partner stays behind to take care of the household is a bit old-fashioned here as well. I don't think most of my friends could really afford to get by on just one salary. It really doesn't take that much time to cook healthy, and you can easily cook in advance if you need to.

You can cook a healthy meal for multiple people in less than 15 minutes. Everyone has 15 minutes left in their day. And if they don't, it's easy enough to cook ahead a couple of days.

Top Bottom