• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OECD Obesity Update: Almost 39% of American Adults over age 15 now classified obese

Sarek

This is why fat acceptance shouldn't be a thing, When someone is obese, don't tell them that it's okay and they should be proud of who they are. Tell them that being obese is ugly, unhealthy and to wake the fuck up.

Fat acceptance is exactly the same as anti-vaccination movement.

Sulik2

What we need to figure out is why weight loss doesn't stick. Nearly everyone who loses weight puts it back on, that should tell us there is more then just personal choice involved. We need a way to change BMR to lower what obese peoples bodies want to stay at weight wise in an easy medically safe fashion.

Better employee rights so people can have a better work life balance and single payer would help immesinely as well.

In my case at least, it's the sugar. Grew up fat from a fat family, and I've only achieved a normal weight in my 30s by removing sugar from my life as much as possible. Worst part is that insulin resistance doesn't seem to be something that ever goes away, I have to avoid carbs and starve myself compared to my coworkers to remain a healthy weight.

It is so hard in America to find food without sugar in it.

Juice

"Go after the agricultural and commercial foods lobbies" will never be tenable in the US so all we'll get are infommercials about eating carrots and then a near infinite supply of cheap carbs until it's 100%

Nabbis

If this continues it will probably lead to a shutdown of welfare programs we have in this country. Obesity and old people will be the downfall of that privilege.

Why is Finland so high up when the rest of Scandinavia is doing ok?

I really don't know how to even speculate this. The country is basically a slightly crappier version of Sweden, though not to the extend of having such a big difference.

Boem

I really wanna know what you're cooking that takes 15 minutes to cook for multiple people, lol. Maybe if you cook more one day and average out through the week with leftovers. Most of the things we cook take 15-20 minutes just for prep and those are the quick recipes.

There's plenty of healthy 15 minute recipes out there. Here's a list of Jamie Oliver ones:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/category/books/jamies-15-minute-meals/

Here's another BBC Health list:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/15-minute-meal

And there's much much more, there's obviously a market for quick & easy but healthy recipes out there.

I like to take my time a bit more myself if I'm able because I like to cook (I need something to focus on and unwind after spending an entire day staring at screens at work), but even then it takes about 30 minutes max, unless I go really fancy.

I just don't buy the excuse that people don't have enough time to cook at home. It can take less time than going out to eat. Like I said, even if you're really, really strapped for time, everyone has 15 minutes in their day. That's enough to get a good, decent, healthy meal ready. Most people have more time, and that gives you even more options. And it's often cheaper than going out to eat as well.

Both my girlfriend and me work full time. We have plenty of other activities to keep us busy as well throughout the week. Even then making sure you're staying healthy isn't too much effort and doesn't take too much time.

Zoe

I mean he's not exactly wrong, BMI will tell a swole ass man or woman who is 5'11 they're obese based on their weight.
Abnormally tall and muscular people tend to have different medical needs than for what's considered normal, so it's still a useful metric in that regard.

Nordicus

There is nothing wrong with pastas.

Nor bread. Look at France's spot.

Not drinking sodas and cookies and salsas, adding condiments etc... is key.

You can eat whatever you want as long as it's with moderation.
Heck, let's count bread as well when discussing Italian meal habits.

Fare la scarpetta, finishing your plate by wiping the leftover food/sauce with a piece of white bread. I did that that constantly in Sicily.

If the overall amount of food still is moderated at the end, it doesn't matter much.

Joni

I really don't know how to even speculate this. The country is basically a slightly crappier version of Sweden, though not to the extend of having such a big difference.

They're the one Scandinavian country using officially measured data, not self-reported. It is not that difficult to guess what is the difference.

rokkerkory

Ive learned to totally cut out bread, milk, rice and all sweets. Now if i even take a small bite of pie i wanna puke.

Just take baby steps. Lifestyle change isnt easy and wont happen over night

Nabbis

Heck, let's count bread as well when discussing Italian meal habits.

Fare la scarpetta, finishing your plate by wiping the leftover food/sauce with a piece of white bread. I did that that constantly in Sicily.

If the overall amount of food still is moderated at the end, it doesn't matter much.

People like to think they are immune to the laws of thermodynamics. If you retain mass, you need to cut down on getting that mass.

Eila

Damn. I remember reading that Mexico has surpassed USA in obesity records, but you guys sure made a comeback ;)

I think that was overweight percentage, but looking at newer info it seems the US has got Mexico handedly beat as well. I also remember it so I guess it was one of those clickbait studies.

Contrary to this "athlete" term. A lot of so-called "athletes" don't stay athletes past their 20's or 30's.

High school and College football lineman need to be big to block, but if they don't make it to the NFL they are big guys that are used to eating 4000 calories. Some of these guys change their lifestyles, a lot don't.

I played slightly after college (not the NFL) and this was my problem.

I was 6'2 315 in the 8th grade.

My playing weight in college hovered around 330. I even completed an actual marathon at that weight. I could run miles at 6 minutes a pop pretty easily.

The moment i stopped playing football and only weight lifted 3-5 times a week? I ballooned up to 450 in a fucking year. I was used to eating 5k calories a day for literally a decade. Changing my dietary habits have been incredibly hard but I knew the alternative was eating myself to a slow suicide my wife and friends would be forced to watch.

Down to 228 now thank goodness.

TheYanger

People eat constantly, mindlessly. We are bombarded with ads for food. We drive by places wafting cooking aromas. We see glowing beacons beckoning us. Shelves lined with shiny packaging.

Eating is a lifestyle. Eating is a drug. Eating is self-medication.

I mean, yes and no? yes, we're bombarded with ads and shit, but the point that BAD food is readily available and cheap compared to the effort it takes (buying ingredients, spending time cooking etc) and the price differential for GOOD food is massive. Like, right now I'm on a diet and buying the stuff that I need to cook the meals I'm eating (which are pretty modest obviously) is literally 3 or 4 times as expensive as just eating out every meal.

vegohead

Eating habits are definitely hard. Every person is different and you could even lose weight without touching the gym just by cutting certain foods and sugar.

In addition to the running I did, I stopped drinking sugary drinks cold turkey and transitioned exclusively to water. I still have a somewhat bad diet because I can't stop eating pizza and chips, so I have to work extra hard to make sure it doesn't creep up on me. I had a huge bowl of some terrible cereal this morning and a bunch of Sriracha chips, so now I ran 10 miles to offset what I had and what I will have later today. It's terrible but that's how I am. Gotta punish myself in some manner (running) for over-indulgence.

Yea and it sucks for tall people like us because our weight spreads out so you don't look that overweight but you feel it. I'm like you with pizza, but I just can't enjoy pizza without stuffing myself. Like I gotta get pizza drunk to enjoy it. Granted, I only eat thin crust so that might be why.

I think my main problem is that I want to play games instead of exercising and feel like I can't do both. After I workout or do cardio I just want to rest so I don't end up playing anything that day. Maybe I'm not getting enough energy from the food I eat.

lenovox1

I always like how the alcohol industry gets to shimmy their way out of the conversation when it comes to adults and the obesity epidemic.

spootime

A lot of the issue is that peoples idea of a diet is something that you do temporarily to shed weight. After that you can just go back to eating the same shit you've been eating in the first place. If you're pretty fat, a "diet" is going to involve a fundamental shift in the way you eat for the rest of your life.

I do think there's more societal acceptance of obesity and being overweight in general these days which contributes as well.

jelly

I mean, yes and no? yes, we're bombarded with ads and shit, but the point that BAD food is readily available and cheap compared to the effort it takes (buying ingredients, spending time cooking etc) and the price differential for GOOD food is massive. Like, right now I'm on a diet and buying the stuff that I need to cook the meals I'm eating (which are pretty modest obviously) is literally 3 or 4 times as expensive as just eating out every meal.

Really, what are meals are you cooking.

I could make a tomato pasta dish with mozzarella and garlic bread, if I wanted Bolognese as a meat alternative, fresh basil that lasts as long as you water it, oregano, garlic, salt. That costs a few quid at most if you've got the herbs which last many meals. Bean chilli is again cheap as chips and like pasta can be a second meal the next day. Both can be frozen too. There is definitely ways to stay cheap and make nice food and items bought last many times other than a meat option.

What we need to figure out is why weight loss doesn't stick. Nearly everyone who loses weight puts it back on, that should tell us there is more then just personal choice involved. We need a way to change BMR to lower what obese peoples bodies want to stay at weight wise in an easy medically safe fashion.

Better employee rights so people can have a better work life balance and single payer would help immesinely as well.
Most people who lose weight lose everything including muscle. If they do not build muscle while losing weight, they are more likely to put fat back on.

oneils

This is somewhat generalized. You can easily find the reverse. But there were more pictures of other countries. It does show how much of the US and UK diets are entirely processed or packaged foods.

Interesting pictures. The American family doesn't look obese, or even overweight, to me. Despite the food, they must be doing something right.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm not really downplaying it, but the expectation of 40% americans are Wall-E look a likes isn't true.

Obese doesn't mean 300lb+ blobs. You can be 6ft 220lb and be "obese." BMI is sorta terrible at labeling people, especially tall muscular people.

Still need to work on reducing sugary junk though, especially soda. Sugared soda should be illegal imo. It's just pure death.
A lean 6' 220 is Arnold Schwarzenegger.

PerkeyMan

They also eat very little sugar, comparatively, which probably compensates. Extreme fructose intake is what builds up insulin resistance, basically, so if you're not suffering from that then your body is going to do a much better job at not getting fat from carbs. (Obviously this is a big simplification, there are lots of other factors, but insulin resistance is probably the main one when it comes to obesity.)

For example here they say the average Italian eats 57 grams of sugar a day. Japan is roughly around that too. Americans eat 126 grams.

If you mean the old tale Eat carbs -> Insulin spike -> Fat gain (Gary Taubes model) your wrong.

This pasta and bread are unhealty meme needs to end.

Testify brotha!

Obesity is a societal problem, it's what our living environment creates. It's not a choise for many, but almost an inevitability. How else could you explain the rise in obesity levels in the past decades when it wasn't that big of a problem before? Something has changed and it's not the people.

It's easy to blame the individuals, and I agree that there is an individual factor at play. However the question is why is it so much harder to stay in shape now than in the 70's? The thing is there has never been so much nutritional information available to people nor has there ever been so many exercise options as now, yet people on average keep getting bigger.

Most accurate post so far. The obesity problem isn't caused by "lazy individuals", it's the result of how our society is structured today. The extreme access to junk food is the problem.

I'm not really downplaying it, but the expectation of 40% americans are Wall-E look a likes isn't true.

Obese doesn't mean 300lb+ blobs. You can be 6ft 220lb and be "obese." BMI is sorta terrible at labeling people, especially tall muscular people.

BMI works very well on a whole populaton to determine obesity. When it comes to individuals the problem is more likely that the person has a normal BMI but being fat due to att small amount of muscle mass.

This is why fat acceptance shouldn't be a thing, When someone is obese, don't tell them that it's okay and they should be proud of who they are. Tell them that being obese is ugly, unhealthy and to wake the fuck up.

Terrible post.

spootime

Another interesting thing for me has been going to walmart recently. I realize this is going to sound elitist and classist as fuck but bear with me. Ive been in grad school these past few years and I live in a very affluent area in the southeast (I also grew up very affluently with health nut parents). The type with whole foods literally everywhere, etc. So when I look at peoples carts its generally full of veggies, whole wheat pasta, few sugary juices here and there, etc.

I recently moved to a big city for an internship over the summer, and I've been shopping at Walmart for my groceries. God damn, peoples carts look even worse than the "average american" pictures above. The vast majority of it is pure sugar. 3-4 gallons of hawaiian punch, capri suns, 5lbs of lollipops, 5 bags of family size chips, etc. Honestly a lot of these people are probably consuming over 1000 calories every day just from drinks and snacks. I don't really think that has anything to do with low income vs high income either. I do understand the argument that poorer people have less time and motivation to dedicate to purchasing and cooking healthy foods. But the empty calories is really what kills them. The worst part is the kids with them, who are already obese, are almost destined to be fat for the rest of their lives and die early.

Most accurate post so far. The obesity problem isn't caused by "lazy individuals", it's the result of how our society is structured today. The extreme access to junk food is the problem.

I don't disagree with this overall. But I don't believe that access to junk food has increased since the 1990-2000's. If anything, its decreased as portion sizes at fast food places have become a bit smaller and theyve been forced to print the calories of all their foods on their menus. However, the obesity rate has still grown. It does seem like there is a societal influence on obesity unrelated to junk food access.

singhr1

Still need to work on reducing sugary junk though, especially soda. Sugared soda should be illegal imo. It's just pure death.

It's flawed but the % of people who contribute to the 39% of obese people classified by BMI but are actually fit is minimal and is probably less than the statistical/measurement error in the study.

Blobs are morbidly obese. Large people that are still functional can be classified as obese.

-Gozer-

This obesity epidemic can be easily fixed.

Crazy to think that many people who don't care about their weight and health live in a country with expensive healthcare. Does that never cross your mind?

mVzwG.gif

The Lamp

If you mean the old tale Eat carbs -> Insulin spike -> Fat gain (Gary Taubes model) your wrong.

Testify brotha!

BMI works very well on a whole populaton to determine obesity. When it comes to individuals the problem is more likely that the person has a normal BMI but being fat due to att small amount of muscle mass.

Terrible post.

What do you mean it's wrong?
It's shown that metabolic disease (ala insulin resistance) makes it difficult to control appetite and weight.

This is somewhat generalized. You can easily find the reverse. But there were more pictures of other countries. It does show how much of the US and UK diets are entirely processed or packaged foods.

Processed and packaged foods don't mean something is not nutritious. Packaging and processing foods often adds nutrition and food safety.

To make matters worse, people generally have *no idea* how calories play into gaining/losing weight. Most recognize 2000 cals as the recommended daily amount for adults since its on every food label, but even that is misleading since it's going to vary drastically based on a person's size/activity, etc.

Like, I didn't learn about how calories impact weight until I finally decided to start losing weight a few years ago, and while trying to figure out what to eat, I learned about how ~3500 cals eaten/burned = 1 lb gained/lost (probably not exact, but good enough for a ballpark estimate for planning purposes). I also had absolutely NO idea how many calories I was eating until I started tracking it obsessively. It is incredibly easy to go over your calorie goal if you aren't watching labels carefully.

Before that, I had no idea and generally thought it had something to do with fat (since for a long time it was commonly accepted that fat makes you fat)

So I can see how people can be totally clueless about why they are fat. There is a LOT of contradicting and misleading information out there regarding weight loss/fitness.
Yup, same.

I didn't realize how to really count calories until I got a food scale and measured everything out.

Guessing calories is incredibly inaccurate and basically impossible especially if you eat out often. Minor things such as oil in a pan can change the amount of calories and these things can add up even if you think you're eating healthy.

The most accurate way to lose weight is to keep track of and weigh everything you put in your mouth and track it with a calorie counting app.

SeanR1221

With summer approaching I'm already seeing the fat acceptance posts creep up on my Facebook.

However, it needs to be handled in a different way. Fat shaming has been well documented to not work.

I feel like we've created a monster where fat acceptance AND fat shaming make people double down on being fat

PerkeyMan

I don't disagree with this overall. But I don't believe that access to junk food has increased since the 1990-2000's. If anything, its decreased as portion sizes at fast food places have become a bit smaller and theyve been forced to print the calories of all their foods on their menus. However, the obesity rate has still grown. It does seem like there is a societal influence on obesity unrelated to junk food access.

Is this purely anecdotal? I'm not saying your wrong but could you elaborate on what you mean?

TheYanger

Really, what are meals are you cooking.

I could make a tomato pasta dish with mozzarella and garlic bread, if I wanted Bolognese as a meat alternative, fresh basil that lasts as long as you water it, oregano, garlic, salt. That costs a few quid at most if you've got the herbs which last many meals. Bean chilli is again cheap as chips and like pasta can be a second meal the next day. Both can be frozen too. There is definitely ways to stay cheap and make nice food and items bought last many times other than a meat option.

And I'm not trying to 'cook on a budget' - I'm trying to use good ingredients and stay on Keto for a month. Either way, you can't even make reasonable food at home for the price of fast food. Clearly you're in the UK, I don't know how different it is there, but I could stuff my face in the US for like 5 bucks a day if I wanted to only buy dollar menu shit. I'm lucky to spend 5 bucks a meal if I make something myself (usually quite a bit more).

I believe sugar to be the biggest culprit. I think the recommended daily intake for sugar is 38g for men and 25g for women.

A 20oz Mountain Dew has 77g of sugar.

A regular sized bag of M&Ms have 37g of sugar

Most foods have some frock of sugar in it, so it's very very easy to go over the recommended amount.

Too much sugar leads to a whole bunch of heath problems, including obesity. It's just so easy to consume large amounts of sugar, cheaply and you won't even be full.

I think portions and more vegetable mixed with excersize is key to being healthy. Not even so much excersizing, but more what you do in the kitchen.

SeanR1221

I also agree with people from earlier in regards to fast food threads here. It's borderline embarrassing to read the reactions. It's like the more junk that gets combined into one food the bigger the "event" becomes.

GatorBait

It's not one thing.

1.Americans eat way too many calories, twice as many as they need
2.The food they're eating is garbage.
3.No weight lifting or cardio
4.Stressed as hell

This is basically it. It's a combination of multiple things together on a macro scale. That's why I hate when people in these types of threads try to reduce the obesity epidemic to one thing: "People just need to be less sedentary!" or "Just eat less sugar and you'll be fine!" On a macro scale, we've created a society where the default is getting fat.

With the four things listed above, I'd argue #2 feeds directly into #1. It is possible to lose weight or maintain your weight on processed, lower-quality foods. It's just harder mentally because the portion sizes are going to be much smaller and the potential to overeat is going to be much easier.

For #4, I'd also say that it's stress + general lack of free time. It's a tougher nowadays for people to feel like they have the time to cook and exercise in a dual-income household, where commutes are long, office hours can go long, and the kids have extra-curricular activities they need to be shuttled to/from after work. With that stress and lack of free time, it's easier to just throw something processed and calorie-dense in the oven or order delivery.

BMI doesn't really make sense at least as far as overweight is concerned though.

It's extremely easy to be considered overweight even if you are very fit because of muscle mass. Lots of people have an "overweight" BMI but it's not because of fat.

Also BMI seems to skew kind of low. 135lb male at 5'11" is a normal BMI but it seems pretty underweight to me.
actually, since most people are sedentary, BMI tends to underestimate how fat people are. that is, a lot of people with normal BMIs are overfat and at increased risk for CHD, diabetes, etc.

PerkeyMan

What do you mean it's wrong?
It's shown that metabolic disease (ala insulin resistance) makes it difficult to control appetite and weight.

Maybe I misunderstood you. I'm talking about the LCHF-movement and their fairytale about carbs triggering insulin which is the main cause of obesity.

entremet

Complex carbs and active lifestyles. Pasta is filling. They don't spike their blood sugar and get diabetes from lots of fructose and sucrose.
They are also eating smaller portions overall.

This carb vilification is way too simplistic.

Japan also loves their rice but they are slim.

Low carb can work but let's not vilify all carb sources. It's annoying that's such a thing is all too common.

Top Bottom