• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OECD Obesity Update: Almost 39% of American Adults over age 15 now classified obese

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Weight loss happens in the kitchen. 3 hours of strength training a week won't do shit if people are still eating 3000+kcal of trash food every single day.
You won't lose weight, but being obese at 15% body fat will look a whole lot better than 40%.

SeanR1221

They are also eating smaller portions overall.

This carb vilification is way too simplistic.

Japan also loves their rice but they are slim.

Low carb can work but let's not vilify all carb sources. It's annoying that's such a thing is all too common.

Yup, I just finished a pretty strict cut. I was still eating 200g of carbs on workout days at the lowest point on my diet. My fats were cut much more aggressively.

Jasup

Most accurate post so far. The obesity problem isn't caused by "lazy individuals", it's the result of how our society is structured today. The extreme access to junk food is the problem.
Yes.
It's very easy to eat in our society. Food is readily available around the clock and due to drive ins you don't have to even get out of your car or even leave home as you can get food delivered to you. Vast amounts of processed foods in supermarkets mean you can have lots of calorie rich food ready for consumption at home at all times. It's very simple to acquire huge amounts of calories every day.

On the other hand, if we're talking about sedentary lifestyle (which is an issue by itself), getting physical activity is far more complicated. For example in suburbs it's nigh impossible to live without a car and you're pretty much forced to use the automobile on your daily commutes, you don't move as part of your daily life. Instead if you want some exercise you have to separately drive to a gym every day or schedule your day so you can go jogging (don't forget to get proper gear for the activity) etc. You need to make a special effort towards it.

entremet

Yup, I just finished a pretty strict cut. I was still eating 200g of carbs on workout days at the lowest point on my diet. My fats were cut much more aggressively.

Yep.

I think you start getting in trouble when you combine carbs and fats--this is the secret to most addictive junk food.

Pizza
Cheeseburgers
Donuts
Starbucks Frappucinos

These foods are extremely high in calories, never satiate adequately, and are addictive.

But no one is getting fat on white rice, potatoes, pasta, whole wheat bread, and so on, where fat is low. If then, explain Asia.

Again, low carb is great for getting people off the junk food train, but it's the no only way to skin the cat and may be too expensive for some.

SeanR1221

Yep.

I think you start getting in trouble when you combine carbs and fats--this is the secret to most addictive junk food.

Pizza
Cheeseburgers
Donuts
Starbucks Frappucinos

These foods are extremely high in calories, never satiate adequately, and are addictive.

But no one is getting fat on white rice, potatoes, pasta, whole wheat bread, and so on, where fat is low.

Agreed. From everything I've read the fat/carb combo is the worst

entremet

Agreed. From everything I've read the fat/carb combo is the worst

Your body does need some fat. I'm not fat phobic, but the shit found in packaged and fast food is damn overkill.

Not only that, it's addictive!

And keto is fine. You're missing the deadly carb plus fat combo there, so you're staying out of trouble.

But again, not everyone can do keto or low carb.

jelly

And I'm not trying to 'cook on a budget' - I'm trying to use good ingredients and stay on Keto for a month. Either way, you can't even make reasonable food at home for the price of fast food. Clearly you're in the UK, I don't know how different it is there, but I could stuff my face in the US for like 5 bucks a day if I wanted to only buy dollar menu shit. I'm lucky to spend 5 bucks a meal if I make something myself (usually quite a bit more).

That's probably true, fast food here is actually quite expensive and when I've been to America you get so much for little money.

Kuga

1.) Sugar (and its ilk + processed carbs) are probably the largest factor. Excess carbohydrate intake, especially stuff that is easily processed into glucose (sugar, processed carbs, etc.), leads to insulin resistance and weight gain.

Exercise is important too but diet is by far easier to control in the scheme of things (i.e., it is easier to reduce intake by 500 cal / day than burn an extra 500 cal / day via exercise).

2.) The "nutrition" pyramid is not only completely inaccurate but not at all followed on the SAD.

Most fats (normal and saturated fats) are improperly demonized while grains and fruits are peddled as healthy. Whole grains are better than nothing due to lower GI but still absolutely unnecessary. Same deal with fruits vs. other sugars - better than nothing but not great.

Low carb + high fat or High carb + low fat can be very healthy. High carb + high fat (i.e., the SAD) is a recipe for disaster.

3.) Easier access to junk foods and other poor meal choices vs. cooking one's own meals has contributed too. Healthy choices are often the most expensive. Stress, work, and other life issues don't help either.

4.) To a lesser extent, a normalization of being overweight contributes to more people becoming overweight. Don't get me wrong - fat shaming and such is absolutely toxic behavior. We still need to work on better programs and initiatives to encourage people to get back to healthier weights.

PerkeyMan

Most fats (normal and saturated fats) are improperly demonized while grains and fruits are peddled as healthy. Whole grains are better than nothing due to lower GI but still absolutely unnecessary. Same deal with fruits vs. other sugars - better than nothing but not great.

My guess is you often link to Robert Lustig videos. Fruit not being healthy is absolutely nonsensical.

Mesousa

Banned
People clown Herbalife(which I really think is just low-key clowning Hispanics since its mostly us in America), but if you get on that it cuts the weight quickly.

You get that 39% on a summer of Herbalife, and that number will practically disappear.

jwk94

I would probably hate that, yeah 😂 I love walking to work/the shops and listening to podcasts etc.

So do I. Visited DC a few weeks ago and walked the most I've walked in a long, long time, simply because it was more feasible. Makes me reconsider where I want to live.

G.ZZZ

Yep.

Pizza
Cheeseburgers
Donuts
Starbucks Frappucinos

But no one is getting fat on white rice, potatoes, pasta, whole wheat bread, and so on, where fat is low. If then, explain Asia.

Again, low carb is great for getting people off the junk food train, but it's the no only way to skin the cat and may be too expensive for some.

Pizza never satiate? Pizza is literally like the only thing that make me feel bad from how full i get since the dough tend to absorb a lot of water in your stomach and make me feel bloated for days at times.

Sugary food on the other hand, yeah it feels like you digest those in no time and can eat another in no time.

SeanR1221

Pizza never satiate? Pizza is literally like the only thing that make me feel bad from how full i get since the dough tend to absorb a lot of water in your stomach and make me feel bloated for days at times.

You're misunderstanding what he's saying. Some single slices of pizza can push way over 600+ calories (depending on the dough/toppings).

Now take in 600 calories of chicken/fish, rice and vegetables and see the difference in how full you feel.

It's not that pizza NEVER satiates. But you'll end up taking in a ton of calories before feeling full compared to other foods.

Interesting how many people are blaming the food. It isn't the food, it is the sedentary lifestyle, at least from what I've seen. Go to work, sit at a desk all day, come home, sit on the couch all evening, go to bed, repeat. I've found that I can eat whatever I want and however much of it I want as long as I'm getting a commensurate amount of exercise.

Yes, Japan at 3.7% is known for having completely non-sedentary lifestyles. Nobody there works office jobs.

tmarg

Things is, we had cars 40 years ago but are way fatter today.

Something else is afoot. Well many things.

That's a lot like saying that we had food 40 years ago.

It used to be that families would have one car. Then it gradually became the norm that every adult would have their own personal car, so that they would never need to walk anywhere if they didn't want to. And then communities started being built in a way that requires cars to navigate, so that even people who want to walk more can't.

Madness

Processed and packaged foods don't mean something is not nutritious. Packaging and processing foods often adds nutrition and food safety.

Ideally no, but compared to several other countries, even industrialized ones, it shows that the 'average' buys almost everything which is packaged. Now you're right it adds nutrition and food safety. But a lot of it is processed foods. Things with added sugars, fats, sodium, chemicals and preservatives.

Why is Italy so far down someone asked. But I am pretty certain they will still make their own pasta sauce, while the majority of people in the UK/Canada/US will probably buy a jar of Ragu. This in turns leads to less food knowledge, greater laziness in food preparation, and greater risk in addings things we don't need or have no nutritional value. Think of a basil and nut pesto sauce.

Homemade recipe
3 cups fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Versus a jar of basil pesto which will have the same ingredients but preserved, full of added sugars and sodium. Full of things like enzymes, citric and lactic acids as preservatives, plus keep in mind, you bought and used fresh basil leaves or garlic. Who knows in the jar.

The microwave, coupled with the bulk food mindset, the 'convenience is key' eating mindset, the decline in parental home cooking, the loss of cooking as an essential life skill, has changed how we view and consume food. And the scary part is how rapid it was.

As for the comments on BMI a few pages back, one poster highlighted the issue we have with tackling this problem. 'I didn't want to be a twig, I look muscular and bench this much, I have a little gut, it isn't an accurate measurement'. You are deviated from the norm with your lower height. These are averages and statistics. Of course you will have outliers. But the average American isn't 6'3" or 5'6", nor do people carry around the muscle you expect. We are conditioned to see increasing obesity as normalized. That 'obese' woman is 'curvy', that 'obese' man is built etc. The fact many would consider 5'9" and 150 male underweight or a twig or abnormal shows the difference. You can even view pictures of graduating classes in 1987 versus 2017, count how many teens are obese. View pictures of the beaches in 1980 versus 2017 etc.

Again, I specifically tried to avoid overweight due to BMI as therenis greater discrepancy. But this is literally OBESE we are talking about. Unless you have an exceptionally low body fat or outside the average height, and you have a BMI of over 30, you are almost assuredly going to be fat, and look fat. This needs to be accepted before steps can be taken. Again, someone mentioned that it isn't great to hear that we should tackle childhood obesity first, but the point is the same with tackling at risk youth. You want to prevent it from escalating. The 12 year old boy who is 5'3" but pushing 190 pounds before high school, unless he changes, he is in for a rough life. The habits become stuck pretty much as a teen, and it is why so few adults are successful with diets. Becausw they go against how they were raised or lived for so many years. And even then, if you were active young, you can easily become sedentary as an adult. The time for half measures is over.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm pretty sure it's not car culture, portion size, sugar, processed foods, or fast food, individually.

It's all of the above combined.

This is why fat acceptance shouldn't be a thing, When someone is obese, don't tell them that it's okay and they should be proud of who they are. Tell them that being obese is ugly, unhealthy and to wake the fuck up.

You sound like a crazy person and personally I find beefier men more attractive than skinny dudes. Also this attitude will do nothing to help the person. If you came at me will that attitude I would probably knock you out right where you stand tbh.

Hence why I said "every day".
I eat McDs or Subway every weekday and my doctor told me I need to gain weight. It's the fatties that order a large number 4 every day and drink soda that are obese.

McPick 2 with nuggets and a mcdouble is good for the price and not unhealthy.

I eat McDs or Subway every weekday and my doctor told me I need to gain weight. It's the fatties that order a large number 4 every day and drink soda that are obese.

McPick 2 with nuggets and a mcdouble is good for the price and not unhealthy.

That's so unhealthy and you probably have a high metabolism or are just naturally thin.

My brother wants to gain more weight and cant no matter how much he eats and lifts. The reverse of that is my partner is 6'2 works his ass off at the gym and seems stuck at 250 pounds and we eat mostly boneless chicken breasts and steamed veggies and no soda Or junk food. He is just a big man and was a D1 lineman In college.

Pifje

Yep.

Pizza
Cheeseburgers
Donuts
Starbucks Frappucinos

The dairy itself in the USA is addictive. Study "A1 casein" or "beta casomorphin 7", the milk literally contains opioids. The milk in central Europe, for example, doesn't. That is called the A2 kind. Finland consumes the unhealthy one in largest amounts in the whole world, that could be a factor in why it is in the top. And USA lathers this milk in the form of processed cheese to everything.

Looking at your small list, transfats (mostly the donut), polyunsaturated fats (in pizza, burgers AND donuts) and cheese are the culprits here.

Ihyll

Yeah good luck buying an entire week's worth of groceries at Whole Foods when you have 2 kids, rent and other expenses and you're barely making ends meet...

That's so unhealthy and you probably have a high metabolism or are just naturally thin.

My brother wants to gain more weight and cant no matter how much he eats and lifts. The reverse of that is my partner is 6'2 works his ass off at the gym and seems stuck at 250 pounds and we eat mostly boneless chicken breasts and steamed veggies and no soda Or junk food. He is just a big man and was a D1 lineman In college.
Definitely not naturally thin because I was fat all through elementary and middle school. Maybe I do have a high metabolism, but there's a huge difference between dollar menu items and large fries + large coke. Those 2 are probably why people get fat from fast food.

Plum

Again, I specifically tried to avoid overweight due to BMI as therenis greater discrepancy. But this is literally OBESE we are talking about. Unless you have an exceptionally low body fat or outside the average height, and you have a BMI of over 30, you are almost assuredly going to be fat, and look fat. This needs to be accepted before steps can be taken. Again, someone mentioned that it isn't great to hear that we should tackle childhood obesity first, but the point is the same with tackling at risk youth. You want to prevent it from escalating. The 12 year old boy who is 5'3" but pushing 190 pounds before high school, unless he changes, he is in for a rough life. The habits become stuck pretty much as a teen, and it is why so few adults are successful with diets. Becausw they go against how they were raised or lived for so many years. And even then, if you were active young, you can easily become sedentary as an adult. The time for half measures is over.

I'm assuming you mean me with the bolded and I'd like to clarify a bit. The thing is, treating fat adults (like me) as a lost cause (which I know I'm not... well... mostly) is not a good way to get results. We should be figuring out ways of educating and helping adults lose weight that aren't just "do it yourself" because, right now, no amount of health advice in schools or free healthy school meals will do much to fix the influence having a fat parent has on a child, at most you'll get minor incremental steps. There's also the fact that, if we don't reduce the 39% soon the strain on medical systems in the UK and US is going to be immense, going at the issue exclusively with multi-generational solutions won't help that. Of course education and the like are 100% needed yesterday, I'm not denying that.

I know this is purely anecdotal, but despite having magnitudes more experience in cooking and preparing decent food than some of my peers (believe me, it's bad with some people) I'm a fat bastard whereas they're healthy; the major differentiating factor in that equation is not education, but whether we had overweight parents or not.

lenovox1

Yeah good luck buying an entire week's worth of groceries at Whole Foods when you have 2 kids, rent and other expenses and you're barely making ends meet...

Is there some kind of misconception that all they offer is unhealthy, unfresh food at markdown, warehouse, or discount grocery stores? They sell stuff similar to the things you find at Whole Foods at Save-a-Lot and WinCo.

I do know there is a dangerous idea perpetuated by the health food industry that in order to eat "well" you have to eat gluten-free, GMO-free, etc.

Pifje

Definitely not naturally thin because I was fat all through elementary and middle school. Maybe I do have a high metabolism, but there's a huge difference between dollar menu items and large fries + large coke. Those 2 are probably why people get fat from fast food.

No.

https://youtu.be/tzcE9gBqJxo

Stop blaming metabolism. And the difference between "high" and "low" metabolism is 200 calories. Go count how many of your fries is that.

lenovox1

What he just described is 600 calories. The amount of food an "average" adult should eat at dinner.

My father is the same way. Eats Burger King every day, but gets a Big Mac Jr. and onion rings. A very small meal to most Americans.

No.

https://youtu.be/tzcE9gBqJxo

Stop blaming metabolism. And the difference between "high" and "low" metabolism is 200 calories. Go count how many of your fries is that.

He wasn't the one claiming he had a high metabolism.

SeanR1221

Your brother needs to eat more and your partner needs to eat less.

Remember, there is not a single instance of someone maintaining or gaining weight on a caloric deficit.

What he just described is 600 calories. The amount of food an "average" adult should eat at dinner.

My father is the same way. Eats Burger King every day, but gets a Big Mac Jr. and onion rings. A very small meal to most Americans.

He wasn't the one claiming he had a high metabolism.

So your saying his burgers and fried nuggets are as healthy as my dinner of a grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies lol 👌

He Said it's a healthy meal and its not regardless of the number of calories.

Ihyll

Isn't also obesity sometimes a genetic disease? Some people no matter how healthy they eat or how much exercise they get will not lose weight at all..

disco

Yup. Crazy how big the difference is when you get out of London. I'm always surprised when I head back home to visit the parents.

Exactly, sophisticated Londoners go to Itsu and fly to Europe for the weekend. The rest eat Monster Munch and read the Daily Mail.

/s

entremet

Isn't also obesity sometimes a genetic disease? Some people no matter how healthy they eat or how much exercise they get will not lose weight at all..
No. Not obesity. You many be talking about thyroid issues. Obesity is not a disease by definition.

Although some people get fatter easier. That's actually good from a survival perspective.

Homo sapiens ability to store excess calories as body fat is great trait. But that was when calories were sparse and hard to get.

lenovox1

So your saying his burgers and fried nuggets are as healthy as my dinner of a grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies lol 👌

He Said it's a healthy meal and its not regardless of the number of calories.

This thread, his original post, and your subsequent comment in your original reply to that post are strictly about weight, weight loss, and obesity.

As a side note, portion size is always a factor when it comes to the overall health of a meal. It doesn't matter if you're eating 4000 calories of steamed brown rice and boiled black beans or 4000 calories of lard. One will gain weight either way.

Kuga

My guess is you often link to Robert Lustig videos. Fruit not being healthy is absolutely nonsensical.

Many fruits have a large amount of sugar. This is not refined sugar and has a lower GI than straight up ingesting granulated sugar / HFCS / etc. Fruits also provide fiber and have useful micronutrients.

Fruits are definitely healthier, than say, cookies. That does not mean sugary fruits (e.g., watermelon, pineapple, dates, grapes) are particularly healthy. Moderate quantities pose little issue for most people but there is little that fruit provides that vegetables + meat / other protein sources can't while avoiding the fructose intake.

But excess fruit consumption is far from the worst of the modern Western diet's problems. All I'm saying is that the extra sugars in fruit aren't great for an already carb-loaded high-fat SAD. We should definitely cut other carb sources before worrying about the fruit though!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

I think that the rationing in the US during WWII established a reasonable ceiling for that and it is quite low.
Going with more modern data only 6% of men in the US were obese in 1980.

lenovox1

There are some genetic disorders that can cause obesity. That does not account for 37% of the population. That does not account for 1% of the population.

Behavior plays a larger factor.

rjinaz

Yup. My Brother eats far more unhealthier than I do. Chips, pizza, fast food like every day. Drinks soda. Thin as a stick. I eat a piece of pizza and it feels like I gain a pound instantly.

Metabolism does matter. People with fast metabolisms in my experience have no sympathy for those that are heavy because in their minds, it's easy.

The Lamp

I believe sugar to be the biggest culprit. I think the recommended daily intake for sugar is 38g for men and 25g for women.

A 20oz Mountain Dew has 77g of sugar.

A regular sized bag of M&Ms have 37g of sugar

Most foods have some frock of sugar in it, so it's very very easy to go over the recommended amount.

Too much sugar leads to a whole bunch of heath problems, including obesity. It's just so easy to consume large amounts of sugar, cheaply and you won't even be full.

I think portions and more vegetable mixed with excersize is key to being healthy. Not even so much excersizing, but more what you do in the kitchen.

And another problem is that these companies are in a pickle.

You create sugar free products and people don't like the taste. You reduce the sugar and people don't like the taste. They want the high sugar original product. Consumers demand it. And companies have to make what people want, otherwise they don't stay afloat, and these big companies provide thousands of jobs that could literally disappear if you destroy a $1B+ brand.

The problem is systemic from every angle.
Not strict enough regulations.
People don't WANT nutritionally relevant food so much as they want GMO-free, "natural," organic foods.
People are nutritionally ignorant.
People are addicted to sugar.
Companies are stuck between regulations, the need to innovate to stay relevant, and a demanding, fickle consumer.
Shitty healthcare system.

It can't easily be fixed especially with a Republican government.

Flux

I dunno. I fat-shamed myself and went from 268 in 2014 down to 172 as of this morning. Shit worked for me

That's good on you. It doesn't work on most because they just stopped caring. They'll just eat whatever they want and wait on a magic bullet in medicine to cure them.

Top Bottom