• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OECD Obesity Update: Almost 39% of American Adults over age 15 now classified obese

shira

I'm pretty sure the US will just change the definition of obesity

Can't have a people exercising wasting their limited energy supplies

Lamel

Banned
Having worked in healthcare, BMI is completely acceptable to stratify the general population. There is also significance of BMI in terms of various health outcomes, not just appearance. All of this argument about build/muscle etc. is fine for individuals but it is not accurate for the vast majority of the USA. There is a severe problem in this country as these numbers show.

jwk94

As a super skinny dude, clothes shopping here sucks. I either have to go to h&m, express, or order online to find stuff that fits me.

Fat shaming/acceptance culture sure as fuck doesn't help. America is too soft, literally.
I kinda agree. Haven't read the whole thread, so excuse me if it's already been addressed, but how do we address the US's obesity problem without, for lack of a better term, offending that same demographic?

tcrunch

Of course it shouldn't be done in a harsh way. When a kid is starting to become fat, it's the parent's job to step in and make sure it doesn't get worse. My point is we should never allow obese people to be happy about being obese.

Undermining people's confidence in themselves and their bodies creates the opposite effect of what you want. "Fat acceptance" as a concept AROSE from people being constantly insulted for being fat. I don't know why you're including parents and children, unless you are suggesting that parents insult their kids when they get fat.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I was jealous from your initial post but you worked so hard to bring your weight down. I'm hovering around 220-230 and it's been a bitch to bring my weight down. I was 210 last year due to working two manual labor jobs and that was the thinnest I've been in 10 years.

I've changed alot of my eating habits but I just can't cut calories, I enjoy food too much :(

Eating habits are definitely hard. Every person is different and you could even lose weight without touching the gym just by cutting certain foods and sugar.

In addition to the running I did, I stopped drinking sugary drinks cold turkey and transitioned exclusively to water. I still have a somewhat bad diet because I can't stop eating pizza and chips, so I have to work extra hard to make sure it doesn't creep up on me. I had a huge bowl of some terrible cereal this morning and a bunch of Sriracha chips, so now I ran 10 miles to offset what I had and what I will have later today. It's terrible but that's how I am. Gotta punish myself in some manner (running) for over-indulgence.

Couleurs

I'm not surprised.

I'm from Canada. My girlfriend and I were in Hawai this winter. We went to Cheesecake Factory. Dear god.

We split a lunch sized portion of Louisiana Chicken Pasta. That was more than enough for the 2 of us. It was 1400 calories. The dinner sized portion is 2050 calories!

Someone could go to Cheesecake Factory and order the following for dinner:

Pasta Carbonara with Chicken - 2290 calories
Coke - 160 calories
Piece of Chocolate Truffle Cake - 1680 calories

That's 4130 calories in a single meal. And without even factoring in the free bread/butter or any appetizers. I mean, a single piece of that cake is more calories than most people should eat in a single day.

America has a problem with food portions, no doubt.

To make matters worse, people generally have *no idea* how calories play into gaining/losing weight. Most recognize 2000 cals as the recommended daily amount for adults since its on every food label, but even that is misleading since it's going to vary drastically based on a person's size/activity, etc.

Like, I didn't learn about how calories impact weight until I finally decided to start losing weight a few years ago, and while trying to figure out what to eat, I learned about how ~3500 cals eaten/burned = 1 lb gained/lost (probably not exact, but good enough for a ballpark estimate for planning purposes). I also had absolutely NO idea how many calories I was eating until I started tracking it obsessively. It is incredibly easy to go over your calorie goal if you aren't watching labels carefully.

Before that, I had no idea and generally thought it had something to do with fat (since for a long time it was commonly accepted that fat makes you fat)

So I can see how people can be totally clueless about why they are fat. There is a LOT of contradicting and misleading information out there regarding weight loss/fitness.

TheExodu5

Banned
Part of the problem is not as many families cook dinner anymore. In most cases, both parents work. They find it easier to drive by a restaurant for take-out versus heading home to cook something up.
And, IMO, this trend can be traced back to the lifestyle choices (McMansions, nice cars, etc) and cost of living driving dual income families.

That's part of the problem, but not the root cause. I would wager that a higher percentage of people eat out in Japan than in the US (would like to find statistics for this), and yet they have one of the lowest obesity rates in the world. Of course, they also do a lot more walking so I'm sure exercise plays a role as well.

When I was in Japan, I'd wager that the vast majority of my meals were in the 500-800 calorie range. I could certainly overeat by just buying a ton of food, but if I were just ordering meals (e.g. ramen, gyudon), the portions were always more than reasonable and I never felt stuffed.

bakedpony

Undermining people's confidence in themselves and their bodies creates the opposite effect of what you want. "Fat acceptance" as a concept AROSE from people being constantly insulted for being fat. I don't know why you're including parents and children, unless you are suggesting that parents insult their kids when they get fat.

I know parents that have the mentality of "you're still a kid, eat anything don't worry about it!" to their kids. Insults and degredation are not the answer, but obese people must be aware on why being obese is not okay. The best way to do that is by educating them in the real health risks obesity brings. Parents should have the primary responsibility on the this.

RDreamer

Even a half portion of that Chicken Carbonara is too much for a single meal (1140 calories). And there are still a lot of people out there that find it emasculating to share a meal, not finish a meal, or to take the rest of the meal home.

I've not experienced much of this emasculation at not finishing a meal. Maybe if you're out with a few bro friends or something, but I've been out to eat with my family and friends a lot and pretty much no one finishes their shit.

And yeah, as I said, even at a half, Cheesecake Factory is still a bit much. That's what I was talking about when I said we still have portion control problems. For a dinner something like 900-1000 isn't bad, but that's assuming you haven't been an idiot the rest of the day. When I was losing my weight I actually did have 1000+ calorie dinners for a while there, but that's because my breakfast and lunch added up to somewhere around 900 and then I had exercised off about 600-800 every day, too. Not everyone does that, obviously.

Anyway, I do agree that calories should be listed on everything. Everywhere. It's so helpful. Calorie information should be bigger and more noticeable, too.

You can cook a healthy meal for multiple people in less than 15 minutes. Everyone has 15 minutes left in their day. And if they don't, it's easy enough to cook ahead a couple of days.

I really wanna know what you're cooking that takes 15 minutes to cook for multiple people, lol. Maybe if you cook more one day and average out through the week with leftovers. Most of the things we cook take 15-20 minutes just for prep and those are the quick recipes.

So what you're saying is, it's more believable to see America as mostly muscular as opposed to mostly obese?

No but in my defense I was reading overweight and not obese on the BMI chart my bad. So technically I'm overweight according to BMI not obese. But still I would hit obese at 200 pounds and I wouldn't need a cart to get me around or anything I would still be in decent shape. I just find people's attitudes in this thread over other peoples bodies kind of gross.

My brother did make a good point that even though he has little body fat carrying that extra weight as muscle is still bad for his heart. Like I definitely have some body fat but my little bro has very little and is still considered over weight according to the BMI.

I really wanna know what you're cooking that takes 15 minutes to cook for multiple people, lol. Maybe if you cook more one day and average out through the week with leftovers. Most of the things we cook take 15-20 minutes just for prep and those are the quick recipes.

I take boneless chick breasts marinade them ahead of time then use a cast iron grill pan or my grill to cook them then have some steamed veggies. Dinner usually takes 20-30 mins to cook.

Daingurse

Laugh and grow fat. I only see this problem continuing to escalate in America. I myself am very close to the point of being obese going by BMI.

Joni

But still I would hit obese at 200 pounds and I wouldn't need a cart to get me around or anything I would still be in decent shape.
That doesn't mean you wouldn't be obese. It already puts you at a way greater risk for a multitude of diseases. You are thinking about Obese Class III.

ZOONAMI

BMI doesn't really make sense at least as far as overweight is concerned though.

It's extremely easy to be considered overweight even if you are very fit because of muscle mass. Lots of people have an "overweight" BMI but it's not because of fat.

Also BMI seems to skew kind of low. 135lb male at 5'11" is a normal BMI but it seems pretty underweight to me.

RM8

No but in my defense I was reading overweight and not obese on the BMI chart my bad. So technically I'm overweight according to BMI not obese. But still I would hit obese at 200 pounds and I wouldn't need a cart to get me around or anything I would still be in decent shape. I just find people's attitudes in this thread over other peoples bodies kind of gross.

My brother did make a good point that even though he has little body fat carrying that extra weight as muscle is still bad for his heart. Like I definitely have some body fat but my little bro has very little and is still considered over weight according to the BMI.
You're still missing the point by making it about you. You -should- know being muscular is far from being the norm, and these results are not targeting you.

Skinpop

While Japan definitely has more healthy snacks, when I lived there I didn't think they were eating that much more healthy. I'm sure genetics plays a part here too.

Did you live with a host family or were you exposed to eating habits outside of home environments? In my experience home cooked japanese food is very healthy. Certainly more so than here in sweden and we are still doing pretty well.

CS_Dan

Our built environment does us no favors. Half of America will die if oil becomes expensive.
We had a conference in San Jose last year (I live in the UK) and this really surprised me, it's something which you don't hear about. The city just wasn't designed at all for pedestrians, the whole thing is a grid so you cross a road every 30 seconds. It's stupidly tedious. Because of this no one seemed to be walking.
We asked some firemen for directions and they thought we were crazy for walking somewhere that was a 15 min walk away. They literally said it was too far.

Zackat

As a fat person who has lost a lot of weight (I was very obese) it is the food choices and sedentary lifestyle. Also didn't hit me until my doctor was very fucking blunt and told me how my life was going to be if I didn't shape up.

I am still overweight, but I am in a much better place than I was years ago. Still slowly losing pounds (I am down about 140 from my heaviest), but it is harder now.

Having worked in healthcare, BMI is completely acceptable to stratify the general population. There is also significance of BMI in terms of various health outcomes, not just appearance. All of this argument about build/muscle etc. is fine for individuals but it is not accurate for the vast majority of the USA. There is a severe problem in this country as these numbers show.

^This.
I would also add that exceptions to BMI, like being an athlete, definitely occur. But it is not common and it does not apply to anyone/ everyone who works out. If you have a large waist circumference and consider your weight "muscle", or because you're "swole"... all I can say is that it is highly unlikely you're BMI does not accurately predict you as overweight or obese.

jwk94

We had a conference in San Jose last year (I live in the UK) and this really surprised me, it's something which you don't hear about. The city just wasn't designed at all for pedestrians, the whole thing is a grid so you cross a road every 30 seconds. It's stupidly tedious. Because of this no one seemed to be walking.
We asked some firemen for directions and they thought we were crazy for walking somewhere that was a 15 min walk away. They literally said it was too far.
Lmao. You'd hate being in Indiana. There are so many small towns where you have to drive to get to the store or something unless you live in the center of town.

rokkerkory

We love our cars here. Lol

hope peeps just wake up and realize to make better health choices when it comes to food intake.

Neoweee

Even being overweight is called overweight for a reason, because being outside of the normal range is enough to start causing negative health outcomes. I was in the upper range of overweight / bordering obesity, and it was enough to start messing with my liver.

tcrunch

I know parents that have the mentality of "you're still a kid, eat anything don't worry about it!" to their kids. Insults and degredation are not the answer, but obese people must be aware on why being obese is not okay. The best way to do that is by educating them in the real health risks obesity brings. Parents should have the primary responsibility on the this.

Teaching about health risks is not a successful strategy. You can't just walk up to someone and say "being fat is bad because x". This is the same as being a politician and saying "my opponent is bad because x" without offering any substantive solutions of your own.

What is known to be successful:

+ Teaching what a nutritious choice is, bearing in mind that there is a wealth of advertising claiming things are healthy that are not, and that if you do not deliver this message in a respectful way people will just think you are an academic talking down to them

+ Creating environments where healthy behavior occurs naturally (this is city planning, infrastructure, as well as incentivizing companies such as groceries to highlight nutritious foods) - this approach is called policy/systems/environment approach, or PSE. You can even conduct PSE in your own home by cutting up/preparing healthy foods all at once after a trip to the grocery and making sure those healthy foods (primarily fruits/veggies) are easily available to your children, while unhealthy snacks are kept on the top shelf and so on.

An aside: regulation of SNAP/"food stamp" benefits is sticky, last I heard this is not going to move forward on a national level any time soon - it costs too much to enforce and puts a burden on grocery stores, and of course part of your constituency will hate you for it - at a recent hearing on it, only 2 of the witnesses they called (out of many) argued in favor of regulating SNAP benefits.

I agree that parents are responsible for their children's health. That responsibility should take the shape of encouraging healthy behavior and presenting healthy food options, not in talking down to children or trying to explain why something is bad with no follow-up. Caring for children properly is very demanding, and the parents themselves often have no education on nutritious choices or behaviors. Well-educated parents with lots of spare time who simply neglect their kids for psychological reasons are actually a minority when you're thinking about the obesity problem.

edit: Too often when the obesity issue comes up, I see people thinking about the individual "bootstraps" level. You instead need to think about the population level. This is a population-wide epidemic, so you need population-wide solutions that work irrespective of an individual's "willpower".

ZOONAMI

^This.
I would also add that exceptions to BMI, like being an athlete, definitely occur. But it is not common and it does not apply to anyone/ everyone who works out. If you have a large waist circumference and consider your weight "muscle", or because you're "swole"... all I can say is that it is highly unlikely you're BMI does not accurately predict you as overweight or obese.

I have a 32 waist and at 5'11" 175 I'm on the bleeding edge of the normal weight range. If I gain even 5lbs I would be considered overweight. I don't really agree with that assessment. I think a lot of that has to do with cultural comparisons as well, as for my height I'm much skinnier and have less muscle than most other American men I see and know.

Skinpop

I have a 32 waist and at 5'11" 175 I'm on the bleeding edge of the normal weight range. If I gain even 5lbs I would be considered overweight. I don't really agree with that assessment. I think a lot of that has to do with cultural comparisons as well, as for my height I'm much skinnier and have less muscle than most other American men I see and know.

it's statistics, it literally doesn't matter what your individual case looks like.

jwk94

As a fat person who has lost a lot of weight (I was very obese) it is the food choices and sedentary lifestyle. Also didn't hit me until my doctor was very fucking blunt and told me how my life was going to be if I didn't shape up.

I am still overweight, but I am in a much better place than I was years ago. Still slowly losing pounds (I am down about 140 from my heaviest), but it is harder now.
Congrats on the healthy turn!

rokkerkory

Things is, we had cars 40 years ago but are way fatter today.

Something else is afoot. Well many things.

Agree its the $5 meals from the fast foods that are making it wayyy to easy and fast to get a meal vs having to actually go buy groceries and cook.

In the age of never having enough time peeps will just go the easy route for food.

Nordicus

Meanwhile I can't gain weight to save my life at about 120 lbs.
Are you age 25 or under? If you are, I got 3 words:

Give it time.

I used to be able to out-eat any other member of my family easily and not gain weight, but the last 2-3 years I've been gaining some 6 kilograms not changing habits. And although that extra weight just barely makes me average weight, that was not distributed evenly. I've turned into a skinny guy with a bicycle tire below my belly button. Not a big deal, but... irritating, and making me rethink my habits

ezrarh

Things is, we had cars 40 years ago but are way fatter today.

Something else is afoot. Well many things.

Just one of many factors. Another factor is us living alone or dual income households where both individuals work so there's no time to cook real meals. That's not to say women should get back into the kitchen, but the lack of time to cook real meals that taste good plays a big factor. Eating out and eating junk food is going to taste better than what most of us can cook. I recommend people read "The Dorito Effect" as well - the role of flavor and food and how it's affected our choices.

Seik

Banned
Sugar products are so fucking toxic, yet so fucking good, it's no surprise we have to face these stats today.

Currently working on myself, winter went hard on me, where I stopped running and started drinking Monster and eating dessert. I became the fattest that I ever was at 220lbs. After realising that a month and a half ago, I did cut on all sugar (except for my coffee) and started running again since winter is done and the sun is back and I'm at 205lbs, aiming to go back at my healthy 180 that I did hit two years ago. I start losing weight crazy fast the moment I starting moving and cut the sugar.

Now I just need to keep the pace next winter.

CS_Dan

Lmao. You'd hate being in Indiana. There are so many small towns where you have to drive to get to the store or something unless you live in the center of town.
I would probably hate that, yeah 😂 I love walking to work/the shops and listening to podcasts etc.

I have no trouble believing that a significant portion of people in the country are obese, but I do wonder if the numbers are skewed higher by the definition of "obese". I am borderline obese according to the definition of BMI, but I hardly look it. I am definitely a little on the soft side, but I don't have anything that resembles a gut, and my musculature is pretty defined.

BWJinxing

I've recently started doing keto. I'm like day 5 in, and I can totally do this diet.

I'm eating steak, pork chops, basically fatty foods, pouring olive oil and eating coconut oil. If I get hungry, I just drink water.

There is a Reddit about the keto diet, it's high fat, moderate protein, low or no carbs. Eventually calories and protein intake become important, but I've not hit that plaeto.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/ read the FAQ at the top page for more details.

I'm only day 5 in now but I'm already 5 lbs, the energy level feels way better, feeling well oiled without much effort

tcrunch

Agree its the $5 meals from the fast foods that are making it wayyy to easy and fast to get a meal vs having to actually go buy groceries and cook.

In the age of never having enough time peeps will just go the easy route for food.

Because they are overworked and do not have sufficient time and energy to cook, and/or they don't understand basic concepts of cooking efficiency (ex. cooking big batches on the weekend and using them throughout the week).

Instead of blaming fast food, consider that our cities are not designed to enable people to live where they work unless they are wealthy, causing long commutes and creating environments that are not conducive to healthy behavior. Consider that our worker protections and salaries are not substantive enough to keep people from being exhausted as they come home, and that we have no basic homekeeping or family planning element in our schools to show people how to manage time, how to cook, or how to make healthy choices.

Once you have solved all that, then you can move on to fast food marketing.

Dazza

This isn't a problem that is specific to the U.S. America leads the pack but when you are getting into the 25% total population range and it's rising in your country you know this is a problem that has very global consequences.

Yep global epidemic, even countries at he lowest ends of the scale like Japan and China are seeing ballooning obesity problems and their governments are trying to take measures to stem the tide.

BMI is stupid and pointless as a short stocky guy I'm always considered obese because of the that stupid BMI scale because I carry more muscle than the average male and I'm not super tall. I also have no desire to be built like a twig not that I could if I wanted to anyways. I can't believe BMI is still used today it always seemed useless to me.

I'm 5'7 and can bench 300 pounds and weigh around 210 or so and apparently I'm obese. Doctor in highschool tried to tell me that bullshit and I was trying to put a few more pounds on for football.

Most people that are 5'7 210 can't even bench their weight even if they trick themselves into thinking they are healthy.

Bmi is perfectly valid measure for 95%+ of people.

Slaythe

How is Italy so low on the list?!? They eat unimaginable amounts of pasta every day.

There is nothing wrong with pastas.

Nor bread. Look at France's spot.

Not drinking sodas and cookies and salsas, adding condiments etc... is key.

You can eat whatever you want as long as it's with moderation.

shira

^This.

Contrary to this "athlete" term. A lot of so-called "athletes" don't stay athletes past their 20's or 30's.

High school and College football lineman need to be big to block, but if they don't make it to the NFL they are big guys that are used to eating 4000 calories. Some of these guys change their lifestyles, a lot don't.

Same with these steroid junkies and gym bunnies. Once you realize you can't spend $2k-5k every month on good PED's your body re-calibrates.

Seen a lot of these athlete/body builders go from an "obese" BMI to actual obese when they get injured/run out of money/lose motivation.

Being huge just for the sake of being huge is not healthy.

Top Bottom