• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft; which would the industry miss the least?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about the industry, but personally, I'd miss Microsoft the least.

Usobuko

Banned
Competitive shooter lovers would miss microsoft the most.

Given the reception of the transition from mouse/kb to a controller, I'm not so sure about this. Eastern Europe and Asia basically don't give a shit. Besides MLG ( which is heavily courting Moba now because that's a genre that is famous in ALL region ), is there anywhere else where competitive console FPS is viable for both the organiser and professional players?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Industry? Microsoft is definitely not the answer because without the next Xbox it would be difficult to create most AAA games. Next-gen is going to be quite similar to this gen.

It doesn't really matter what output a platform holder has or whether you like their games or not, but each of them contribute to the industry in their own unique way.

Synless

Everyone is going to say Xbox, especially with the rumors of the nextbox.
I will say it not because of their shitty always online thought process, but because of their weak ass first party output and horrible XBL justifications.

This isn't true. These consoles wouldn't have anywhere near the level of online features and connectivity if not for Microsoft pushing Xbox Live so hard, basically bringing lots of PC online features to consoles. That was a huge contribution to the console market. Losing Nintendo would hurt Nintendo. Third parties are almost non-existent on their platform, so the overall industry impact, which is what the OP asks, would be minimal.

Except Nintendo attracts the kids in ways that Sony and Microsoft don't. When I say kids I mean 3-9 or so. My daughter is almost 5 and LOVES Mario. LOVES Zelda. It was Nintendo that started her love for games. The industry benefits when a new gen of gamers comes along. You better believe it.

jerd

The only thing my 360 provided me this gen that I don't feel I could have gotten elsewhere is a proper version of Bayonetta, so definitely MS for me. For the industry, I would say Nintendo since they have the least impact from a third party perspective, but I feel like they usher in new generations of gamers with IPs like Pokemon, Mario, etc.

Thorakai

Microsoft. Their biggest contributions to the console industry has more or less become standard across board. The breadth of their IP portfolio isn't nearly as deep as Nintendo's or Sony's either.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hard to answer this question without coming across as a fanboy/hater, but it has to be Microsoft...

The strides they took in network infrastructure and such are certainly worth lauding, however. In truth, all three companies have found their niches, so they'd all be missed a great deal. But overall Sony and Microsoft cross over the most, and Sony is doing far more for software development than Microsoft.
Yeah, that's the only thing I really value about Microsoft at this point. Their online infrastructure is clearly superior to Sony's and Nintendo's. I'm hoping that gap will narrow with the PS4, though.

There is no such thing as microsoft faithful. I dont believe it at all. The always online thread is pretty much proof of that.
They're out there, but even they have their limits. That's why I couldn't believe The Crusty Juggler earlier when they said they weren't phased by all the Durango rumors, lol.

The only thing my 360 provided me this gen that I don't feel I could have gotten elsewhere is a proper version of Bayonetta, so definitely MS for me. For the industry, I would say Nintendo since they have the least impact from a third party perspective, but I feel like they usher in new generations of gamers with IPs like Pokemon, Mario, etc.

BINGO!

but the MS faithful is like you and one other guy on here

This is funny. Any time I say something positive or side with Microsoft in a discussion, I'm labeled a MS fan. Any time something positive about Sony, I'm a Playstation fanboy. This unheard of behavior, praising two competing companies, might cause a rift in the space-time continuum.

C4Lukins

Yup that's all Sony does. Pack it up fellas.

The OP uses examples such as God of War and Uncharted as "classic franchises." While Halo, Fable and Forza are just merely IP despite being as old or older and more successful then some of the examples the OP gave. Lets not pretend this list war was being honest from the beginning.

DaBoss

I feel like many people in this thread are ignoring Nintendo's and Sony's contribution to the handheld front, where Nintendo for sure is the most important of the two.

Microsoft. Why is this even a question? And I love my 360 but come on. They're extra. I wouldn't shed a tear if they just stopped making games.

The strongest case that can be made for Nintendo is that diversity is good. Removing them for the equation and keeping two companies that offer experiences so similar that they were referred to as "twins" for the generation wouldn't really offer much.

If all you play is Nintendo, or strictly retail games then I can see how you'd hold that opinion, but truth be told xbla is unbelievably diverse.

I also don't know how Nintendo makes the strongest case while being snubbed three gens in a row by the industry.

Anyway isn't this thread who the 'Industry' would miss, and not 'what console maker do you hate'?

This is funny. Any time I say something positive or side with Microsoft in a discussion, I'm labeled a MS fan. Any time something positive about Sony, I'm a Playstation fanboy. This unheard of behavior, praising two competing companies, might cause a rift in the space-time continuum.

Not a MS or Sony fanboy but definitely a Nintendo hater :p

There is no such thing as microsoft faithful. I dont believe it at all. The always online thread is pretty much proof of that.

I was a pretty huge fan of the original Xbox. Loved that thing, it looked great, S controller was awesome, Halo launch was amazing, and it just felt like the whole thing was about games. So many great games came out on that thing. Felt like a straight up hardcore video game console.

breakfuss

Nintendo is the only company so far to actively lose out on third party games. That's already the industry not caring.

This only strengthens my argument. The third party ship sailed a loooong time ago circa '96. And, still, they've remained (and thrived). Which of the other two could do this?

Risette

A Good Citizen
If all you play is Nintendo, or strictly retail games then I can see how you'd hold that opinion, but truth be told xbla is unbelievably diverse.

Anyway isn't this thread who the 'Industry' would miss, and not 'what console maker do you hate'?
I don't hate MS. The 360 has my favorite library this generation.

MS could disappear from the console industry and nobody would really care, though.

The OP uses examples such as God of War and Uncharted as "classic franchises." While Halo, Fable and Forza are just merely IP despite being as old or older and more successful then some of the examples the OP gave. Lets not pretend this list war was being honest from the beginning.

That's definitely a fair point. I will edit the OP.

buhdeh

Looking back, the only thing I really got out of the 360 over the PS3 was a nicer interface that jumps from good to bad in every major update and the opportunity to pay Microsoft $60 to play my own games online.

Loved Gears 1 and 2 but couldn't care less about Halo or Forza or garbage like Fable and new Rare. Still kind of pisses me off that they bought out Rare and pretty much ruined the company.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nintendo
They would be a lost because their heritage, they are iconic, it'll be ok if they didn't make a home console and made handhelds instead but I can't see the industry without Nintendo software

PlayStation
They are both the most irrelevant hardware and software company and PlayStation is probably the most iconic gaming brand outside Mario
despite their fuck ups they're probably the most important in the industry as they are
And the only company to rivial and exceed Nintendo overall
To lose them in any shape or form would be a lost

Xbox
I've got nothing, even if they turned software only, it would be less impactful then Sega
They seem to be "that other console maker" and don't really hold any value, hopefully that'll change nextgen
But so far they have been an alternative console maker that does ok

So yeah, MS wouldn't be missed

Piggus

Two of them make tons of great first party games, and the other moneyhats CoD DLC and milks the old shriveled tits off the Halo franchise. So I think the answer is pretty obvious...

Ryuhza

Banned
Well... well... yeah, it's Microsoft. However, for me personally, Nintendo stands less than a stone's toss away. It's been a very long time since NT has shown me something to be excited about, and for all their new age tech, they seem content to wallow in their past.

I do want competition though.

Sarquiss_

I assume the OP means in terms of a home console hardware manufacturer. If this is the case I believe that Nintendo would be the least missed from the console hardware space.

To me Nintendo has always been about their IPs and not about the innovation in the hardware console space. Nintendo could do great as a Third Party Software Dev/Publisher while dominating the Handheld market.

However, if the OP is referring which of the big 3 would be least missed entirely from the industry then I would have to say Microsoft. Although, they have brought a lot of innovation into the industry I don't believe they have a portfolio which has diverse as the other two.

JordanN

Banned
This only strengthens my argument. The third party ship sailed a loooong time ago circa '96. And, still, they've remained (and thrived). Which of the other two could do this?
Just because they remain, doesn't take away from the fact the industry ignores them.

Microsoft (outside of Japan) doesn't suffer from this.

Codeblue

I was talking more software and hardware, even if they are gimmicks, there's value in experimentation.

Also, even if we are talking about industry, Nintendo is still not a clear cut answer because their handheld is far and away the most important platform to the Japanese industry, so it would vary by region I guess.

IrishNinja

I don't hate MS. The 360 has my favorite library this generation.

MS could disappear from the console industry and nobody would really care, though.

yeah, that's about identity though, and much of that is made from exclusives.

ive been a sega fan since a kid because i recall the master system days when they pretty much had to hold the fort down by themselves, across all genres...it wasn't always perfect, but it was quite a feat.

like others here, i buy nintendo systems for first party stuff and celebrate 3rd party gems, but even if those somehow dont show, i still get my money's worth.

sony will get every major 3rd party AAA title that MS doesnt have a hand in producing, plus the big exclusives celebrated on here a lot, as well as smaller favorites of mine like Yakuza. i'll get the best of both western & eastern console development.

MS can say a lot of that as well, but even then a fair amount of that went away for me when i got into steam - and their current stable doesn't put out much that interests me. i don't play online much, and i certainly don't pay to do so, so that largely leaves XBLA (though getting superior ports this gen was a pretty big thing for me as well).
said identity currently looks like a kinect focus and stuff like always online, so yeah, this event in may is kind've an uphill battle, in my eyes.

jerd

I assume the OP means in terms of a home console hardware manufacturer. If this is the case I believe that Nintendo would be the least missed from the console hardware space.

To me Nintendo has always been about their IPs and not about the innovation in the hardware console space. Nintendo could do great as a Third Party Software Dev/Publisher while dominating the Handheld market.

However, if the OP is referring which of the big 3 would be least missed entirely from the industry then I would have to say Microsoft. Although, they have brought a lot of innovation into the industry I don't believe they have a portfolio which has diverse as the other two.

Wait... isn't this pretty much exclusively what Nintendo has become about (hardware innovation I mean)? Isn't that the major knock on them?

McLovin

You kind of need both MS and Sony to push each other along. Since I have zero interest in Nintendo this gen I'm gonna have to say Nintendo. Sure they have classic IPs but I've played them to death.

Satchel

Banned
The industry would miss Sony the least at this point.

They're a more reactionary company, and the majority of their IPs are forgettable or don't sell great anyway.

While Microsoft and Nintendo have their foibles, and make mistakes. They generally at least TRY to push things in new directions rightly or wrongly.

Sony tends to, more often than not see what the competition is doing, and imitate.

Into

With Halo now being made by someone other than Bungie, what is there really left to miss?

I enjoy Forza and regard it as a quality series but its not something i would miss, and sales indicate few would miss it.

So yeah, Microsoft

rdrr gnr

The strongest case that can be made for Nintendo is that diversity is good. Removing them for the equation and keeping two companies that offer experiences so similar that they were referred to as "twins" for the generation wouldn't really offer much.
Similar experiences... a.k.a. third parties.

Mr.Fresh

I would say Microsoft too. But when it comes to ip I think the only Classic ip MS has is Halo. While Sony has GT, GOW, Ratchet. If the ip is more then 10 years and still sells well its def a classic.

Nags

Banned
Well industry-wise isn't Nintendo losing most of their 3rd party support outside Japan? Seems like that would be the most on-point answer to your post.

Personally I think it would suck if Nintendo bit the dust.

Top Bottom