• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft; which would the industry miss the least?

People just seem to prefer being nickel and dimed as opposed to doing some simple addition and buying the console that offers more at a better price.

Little OT, but this is what has me a bit worried with the rumor of the $300 console with a subscription attached...

Sarquiss_

Did not mean to come off like that. Just felt like people are just itchy to go with their gut rather than consider actual reality of the industry. I'm all for discussion :).

It is all good. I just hate it when people try to take away from the discussions that are occurring. I am really intrigued with some of the points and counter-points being raised.

This was a great idea OP.....Good Work :)

Edit: would it be possible for people to elaborate why they chose one company of the other?

C4Lukins

Thing is, without Microsoft, Sony wouldn't even have to try any more. We would end up with launch PS3 levels of shitness.

I do think that without Live, XBLA and MS pushing digital home entertainment services, both Sony and Nintendo would not be even close to where they currently are now when it comes to online. We could just be getting friend codes for the first time on Wii U, and who knows if there would even be a market for smaller downloadable games on consoles. I could be overstating that of course, but MS certainly did help move things along more quickly in those areas.

DC1

god of war and uncharted are classic IPs now?

Oh you!

As you know Sony and Nintendo has introduced multiple gaming concepts that has pushed the limit of our collective imaginations.

@Salsa,
Sony is 'lipping' on 20 years of dedicated gaming platforms with a vast selection of exclusive titles brought to their consumers through direct development and/or publishing.

Clearly you jest. :)

LOCK

Nintendo helped build the industry, and Sony took it mainstream.

Microsoft gave us paid services, faulty hardware, and Kinect.

Yeah, Microsoft.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
People forget the calamity launch of the PS3 and the developers' hatred for producing games on it is the direct result of Sony having no competition.
The PS2 is the direct result of Sony not having competition
PS3 was the direct result of Sony having competition that showed no threat, Sony underestimated the gamer

People say it would be terrible if Sony or MS dominated, but we already know what its like for Sony to dominate, they did it with PSone & PS2
and funny enough those were good times
But competition is good

Pikma

Banned
Microsoft. It's that easy to answer.

If Nintendo left the industry I would probably lose all interest and quit gaming altogether. If Sony left a part of me would die, just because I grew with the PSOne, also, the industry would never be the same without them, that's for sure.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft. Then Nintendo can buy back all the old Rare IPs for dirt cheap and Grant Kirkhope can make his dream Banjo-Threeie for the Wii U.

Send Halo to Sony and bargain for the rest.

Shosai

Banned
Using "M$" instead of "MS" seems childish to me.

NO IT'S CLEVER. IT IMPLIES MICRO$OFT LIKES TO MAKE MONEY. The greedy jerks.

You can't say the same about Sony. Look how much money they lose every year! They're practically a charity organization.

Microsoft or Sony

Probably MS though. I do think they've done a lot to make consoles seen as viable media hubs, and they've done a lot with online, but...

Actually, scratch that. Sony.

Hiltz

Nintendo helped build the industry, and Sony took it mainstream.

Microsoft gave us paid services, faulty hardware, Kinect, and killed Rare.

Yeah, Microsoft.

You almost had it! Anyway, Microsoft deserves credit for pioneering online play and expanding on it with Xbox 360, but beyond that and the Halo IP, Microsoft's contributions are naturally a short list. However, for what its worth, western developers would miss Microsoft because the Xbox is the only major non-Japanese platform. EA and Activision in particular love it.

Yes, because the customers that buy games on a Microsoft platform would be too struck with grief to move onto a Sony platform.
Lol, good point. However one has to see how MS was able to capture the NA consumer. If there wasn't something unique that MS was able to provide, wouldn't Sony and Nintendo boast equal attach rates in NA?

It's simular to the used sales arguement in away. A used game sale diesn't always mean that someone would have purchased it new.

Duffyside

Banned
The Universe said:
MicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoft MicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoft MicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoft MicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoft MicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoft MicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoft MicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoft MicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoft MicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoft MicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoft MicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoftMicrosoft

Just put (Microsoft) in the title already.

HAhahaha. Well done.

Microsoft. I literally would not care if I woke up the next day and MS announced they were leaving gaming. They need to improve their 1st parties to gain some relevance imo.

If the always-DRM rumours are true then I would say Microsoft.

Their horrible anti-consumer behaviour is very reminiscent of how bad Nintendo were in their NES/SNES heyday.

At the moment Sony at least seem to be showing all the signs that they have learned from their PS3 mistakes. But the jury is still out until we see some pricing details.

Nintendo have a solid IP catalogue and are capable of doing incredible work when they put their minds to it.

At the moment Microsoft just seem like an amplifier for everything that is bad in the industry and bad for the general consumer.

So, Microsoft, goodbye you won't be missed.

Hiltz

Microsoft.

Also isn't Gears IP owned by Epic and not Microsoft?

That's correct. Gears of War is treated like a 1st party franchise but its technically a second-party franchise. However, in some cases, second party franchises can have the IP owned by the console manufacturer.

I think Microsoft, at the moment.

Xbox Live originally gave the industry a large push forwards and set the standard, but they've stopped innovating and grown complacent. Rather than doing everything they can to draw people to their offering, to me it almost feels as if they're doing what they can to drive me away. There's no sense of urgency now they've achieved their goals of getting their system into the living room and preventing Sony from taking it over uncontested.

As a company they've become increasingly arrogant over the past few years (the Windows 8 disaster where they essentially told their entire userbase "you will change because we said so" is a notable example), whereas Sony has had to eat humble pie after their mistakes.

Sony is also in a more precarious financial position, so that's an extra inventive for them to get things right.

However, I think both Microsoft and Sony play important roles in providing direct competition for the other, given Nintendo's different strategy. So I don't want to see anyone go.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft. Then Nintendo can buy back all the old Rare IPs for dirt cheap and Grant Kirkhope can make his dream Banjo-Threeie for the Wii U.
But then Halo would get tossed off to some new studio who would ruin it. OH WAIT

BadAss2961

Microsoft.

Also isn't Gears IP owned by Epic and not Microsoft?
Yup.

Halo is the only IP from Microsoft that would create a bit of a void, as it has a dedicated following. But they'd probably just sell it anyway if they were to leave the industry.

big_z

Sony. Nintedo as lazy as they are has innovated quite a bit. Microsoft did wonders for online console gaming. Sony simply attempts to iterate on other companies ideas. Smart business moves allowed them to undercut and outsell the competition but in terms of advancing gaming they've done the least.

jorma

is now taking requests
Personally i'd say Nintento and it looks like the industry is agreeing. Although them dropping out would cause the most suicides of the three.

I think PSN is a lovely service, but everyone will have to concede that it would not be what it is today if it were'nt for xbox live. MS has done some good things in the console industry, even if they have the weakest first party. Even if all they do is keeping Sony honest, i still need them for that.

After the PS2 success, Sony became pretty arrogant. Just imagine how arrogant they'd be if PS3 had been a PS2-like success. PS4 would come with a serving of shit that you had to eat if you wanted to buy one. And they would order you to take a third job.

Nintendo for hardware and Microsoft for software.

Nintendo's hardware is kinda pointless right now.

Microsoft pulled the plug on much of their best internal software. Rare has not really made anything great since MS bought them. (Nuts & Bolts was good but not great.)

Top Bottom