• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft; which would the industry miss the least?

Outside of 3rd party publishers I don't think anyone would miss Microsoft. Nintendo is not important either today but they still have their legacy.

Nintendo
They would be a lost because their heritage, they are iconic, it'll be ok if they didn't make a home console and made handhelds instead but I can't see the industry without Nintendo software

PlayStation
They are both the most irrelevant hardware and software company and PlayStation is probably the most iconic gaming brand outside Mario
despite their fuck ups they're probably the most important in the industry as they are
And the only company to rivial and exceed Nintendo overall
To lose them in any shape or form would be a lost

Xbox
I've got nothing, even if they turned software only, it would be less impactful then Sega
They seem to be "that other console maker" and don't really hold any value, hopefully that'll change nextgen
But so far they have been an alternative console maker that does ok

So yeah, MS wouldn't be missed

100%

The Jason

This thread is gonna be bad

But anyway, no one would really miss Microsoft

Nintendo and Sony have far more history, it would be a devastating sign for the industry.

You kind of need both MS and Sony to push each other along. Since I have zero interest in Nintendo this gen I'm gonna have to say Nintendo. Sure they have classic IPs but I've played them to death.
This is my line of thought as well. While I don't particularly care for the limited portfolio of IPs Microsoft has, they are much needed to push gaming forward. If Microsoft dropped out and Sony was the only company doing next gen gaming, it would not be a good thing.

Nintendo on the other hand? They're still playing catch-up and haven't really pushed the medium anywhere outside of a few gimmicks. I love love love Nintendo and Mario and all of that, but I think I could live without a Wii U version of all their same games, or the Wii U 2 versions.

Roo

Meh... Microsoft
They can disappear right now to be honest.
Sony can take care of all the developers needs as they're already showing.

Sarquiss_

The industry would miss Sony the least at this point.

They're a more reactionary company, and the majority of their IPs are forgettable or don't sell great anyway.

While Microsoft and Nintendo have their foibles, and make mistakes. They generally at least TRY to push things in new directions rightly or wrongly.

Sony tends to, more often than not see what the competition is doing, and imitate.

I agree the premise of your post, however only with the PS3 has Sony really been a reactionary company. They became too arrogant with the success of the PS2 and they lost sight of what made them popular. Microsoft was very smart with identifying this strength and then making it their own.

However, with the Sony shifting away from Japan making the PS4 to the west I believe they will thrive nextgen (Hopefully this new Sony will push Microsoft and Nintendo to release great products as well).

I was a pretty huge fan of the original Xbox. Loved that thing, it looked great, S controller was awesome, Halo launch was amazing, and it just felt like the whole thing was about games. So many great games came out on that thing. Felt like a straight up hardcore video game console.
Same, and 360 was my main console this gen. Opened up my eyes to online gaming and everything and fully appreciate the online community of xbl. The recent rumors and speculation really turning me off so easily.
This only strengthens my argument. The third party ship sailed a loooong time ago circa '96. And, still, they've remained (and thrived). Which of the other two could do this?
Boom.

Satchel

Banned
Thing is, without Microsoft, Sony wouldn't even have to try any more. We would end up with launch PS3 levels of shitness.

I'd say 90% of the MS responses in thus thread are from their own personal perspective as opposed to at least trying to take an industry point of view on things.

People forget the calamity launch of the PS3 and the developers' hatred for producing games on it is the direct result of Sony having no competition.

jeremy1456

Microsoft for me too. They really have very little they can call their own in the industry. The most unique thing they've created is Kinect, which is complete garbage and shouldn't exist anyway. Nintendo and Sony are creators, whether or not you like what they are creating.

...Wait.

Nintendo I can understand considering a creator, but Sony?

The first unique concept I've seen from them in a very long time is the Share button. This, especially in the face of all that Microsoft contributed this gen seems absolutely crazy.

What's next? Nintendo copied the Move when they came up with the Wii-remote?

JWong

Banned
Nintendo
They would be a lost because their heritage, they are iconic, it'll be ok if they didn't make a home console and made handhelds instead but I can't see the industry without Nintendo software

The industry can't see Nintendo. They're invisible to them.

Oersted

You kind of need both MS and Sony to push each other along. Since I have zero interest in Nintendo this gen I'm gonna have to say Nintendo. Sure they have classic IPs but I've played them to death.

You played Pikmin and Fire Emblem to death? Jealous. Well, maybe you didn´t play W101 to death.

IrishNinja

Xbox
I've got nothing, even if they turned software only, it would be less impactful then Sega

i would argue Sega's arcade-style development - as well as the chances they'd take, even on AAA titles - left a tremendous hole in the industry, one not immediately felt but still present to this day...though that might be for another thread

If Micro were to drop out Sony probably would try significantly less. Thats a good point.

definitely this; i don't think PSN would've got its shit together at all, much less in a relative hurry, without XBL.

Nags

Banned
Seems comments here are not taking the word "industry" into consideration and rather answering personal preference. MS is still a beast in this industry, and the populace of Gaf =/= the populace of non-forum dwellers.

Shinta

Banned
I'd say 90% of the MS responses in thus thread are from their own personal perspective as opposed to at least trying to take an industry point of view on things.

People forget the calamity launch of the PS3 and the developers' hatred for producing games on it is the direct result of Sony having no competition.

I think they learned the lessons of PS3, and don't have any desire to repeat that in any way. I don't see them repeating that at all, regardless if Microsoft is in it or not.

And they would still compete with Nintendo if Microsoft dropped out. PS1 started as the sole competitor to Nintendo. Nintendo might even try and make more powerful systems again if they're only competing against one rival.

Seems comments here are not taking the word "industry" into consideration and rather answering personal preference. MS is still a beast in this industry, and the populace of Gaf =/= the populace of non-forum dwellers.

Honestly, anything Microsoft gives to publishers now could be replaced instantly. The audience would move to PS4, and publishers would sell the same amount of games. It wouldn't matter at all in my opinion.

BadAss2961

There is no such thing as microsoft faithful. I dont believe it at all. The always online thread is pretty much proof of that.
With the Live format standardized (and free), Halo is pretty much the only iconic thing about the Xbox brand. If Microsoft were to leave the gaming industry, and sold off Halo to become multiplatform, there would be no reason for anyone to miss them.

The Halo faithful would move on to the PlayStation. Gears is owned by epic, and would be on PlayStation. GT > Forza. Fable is meh. RARE is dead.

Nintendo does more of their own thing nowadays, and have been synonymous with gaming since the 80's.

The Jason

The PS3 launch was bad, but the PS3 has still turned out to be a success worldwide. Its not 2006 bud.

My main use for Microsoft is keeping Sony's ego in check. That's more beneficial than Nintendo's games that you need to buy a separate system just for them.

Satchel

Banned
I agree the premise of your post, however only with the PS3 has Sony really been a reactionary company. They became too arrogant with the success of the PS2 and they lost sight of what made them popular. Microsoft was very smart with identifying this strength and then making it their own.

However, with the Sony shifting away from Japan making the PS4 to the west I believe they will thrive nextgen (Hopefully this new Sony will push Microsoft and Nintendo to release great products as well).

I get what you're saying, but as I said earlier, the PS3 is a result of a Sony with no competition.

So with Microsoft gone, we'd be going back to overpriced, hard to develop for consoles.

Sony's efforts with the PS4 are a direct result of the humbling Microsoft gave them. So surely the industry needs Microsoft to at least keep Sony in check.

We're yet to see no competition Microsoft.

Although, thinking about it some more, no competition Nintendo was probably worse than Sony has ever been.

I'd like to change my answer to Nintendo.

To be fair, the question at hand is, "If the industry asked you"

Sarquiss_

What was the point of your post? Of course no one here can speak for the industry as a whole but that does not diminish the value of the discussions occurring.

Seriously, I will never understand people trying to act high and mighty...

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
easily Nintendo. I'd miss mario and Zelda but to be honest even they have become incredibly stale.

Vaco6121

If Micro were to drop out Sony probably would try significantly less. Thats a good point.

I doubt that. The console maker even without competition still has to answer to the users. Looking at how PSN has changed from the beginning while Live has had an effect in making it better, a lot more of what changed was because of the users complaining about it to the point where Sony changed it.

Mxrz

I wouldn't miss Microsoft or Nintendo much at all at this point. The trouble is would Sony stay as good as they've been without them, or go back to their crazy ways?

What would the industry miss? The PC is more or less Windows/MS, and more than a viable alternative to an Xbox. While Nintendo is mostly irrelevant outside of its handhelds.

Steambox vs PS4 would be interesting.

Weird to think how MS did so well this generation with so little 1st party support by them...

Its no wonder that the 3rd parties love them so much.

Shinta

Banned
I get what you're saying, but as I said earlier, the PS3 is a result of a Sony with no competition.

So with Microsoft gone, we'd be going back to overpriced, hard to develop for consoles.

I just don't buy this argument. PS1 and PS2 were both priced competitively. Vita was very aggressively priced as well.

PS3 fumbled because they tried to make an exotic programming architecture. They're not doing that anymore, and they won't do it again for BC reasons, and developer reasons.

PS3 is expensive because you got a hell of a lot more value than the 360 was giving. 360 didn't even have an HDMI port when it launched, and only a 20 GB HDD. PS3 had a good blu-ray player, wireless internet adapter, controllers with rechargeable batteries built in, backwards compatibility for PS1 and PS2, and free online multi-player.

If you add up all the additional costs for 360, it's the more expensive console (not counting all the people who had to literally repurchase it because they broke). People just seem to prefer being nickel and dimed as opposed to doing some simple addition and buying the console that offers more at a better price.

This isn't even touching PS+, cross-buy, or the multiple 1st party games Sony is putting out for $40 new.

Nags

Banned
Did not mean to come off like that. Just felt like people are just itchy to go with their gut rather than consider actual reality of the industry. I'm all for discussion :).

Edit: I guess I was also looking at the question OP posed as "Which would the industry miss the least?".

BadAss2961

My main use for Microsoft is keeping Sony's ego in check. That's more beneficial than Nintendo's games that you need to buy a separate system just for them.
I was just about to say that the best thing that Microsoft does is keep a fire under Sony's ass. Without direct competition, Sony would probably stagnate.

If only Sega hadn't broken itself beyond repair... It would be awesome to see them in that spot instead of MS.

Sarquiss_

I wouldn't miss Microsoft or Nintendo much at all at this point. The trouble is would Sony stay as good as they've been without them, or go back to their crazy ways?.

Unfortunately without competition I believe Sony wild have continued with their arrogance and we would have missed a lot of innovation in the market. With both the PS4 and Nextbox being built on similar architecture, next gen will come down to what exclusive experiences both can offer.

Nextgen should be a great I've to be a gamer....

Top Bottom