• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, the Braves and Yankees fans can shittalk on Perez after they beat him once. Oh that's right, both teams got owned by Perez!! RIIIGGHHHHHTTT! Meanwhile Pedro Martinez probably could throw more innings than Sheets right now. And good luck to the team paying like $14-15 million to a 40-year old D. Lowe.

You pay for hard-throwers and youth. Perez wins both and has more upside. Yeah it's only $1-2 million cheaper, but he's cheaper.
Y2Kev said:
frankman is beguiled by ollie's "the rock circa 1999" style facial hair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0RIjusd6A

Oliver Pérez gana 16ta-18o juegos para los Mets el año próximo!

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
Hey, the Braves and Yankees fans can shittalk on Perez after they beat him once. Oh that's right, both teams got owned by Perez!! RIIIGGHHHHHTTT! Meanwhile Pedro Martinez probably could throw more innings than Sheets right now. And good luck to the team paying like $14-15 million to a 40-year old D. Lowe.

You pay for hard-throwers and youth. Perez wins both and has more upside. Yeah it's only $1-2 million cheaper, but he's cheaper.

Ben Sheets averages over 178 innings pitched per year over his 9 year career. Sure he's fragile, but he isn't THAT fragile (assuming he has healed from his latest injury).

eznark said:
Ben Sheets averages over 178 innings pitched per year over his 9 year career. Sure he's fragile, but he isn't THAT fragile (assuming he has healed from his latest injury).
Ben Sheets' last three years are the only relevant years to this discussion. Hell, he was a walking injury the last two years.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The Frankman said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0RIjusd6A

Oliver Pérez gana 16ta-18o juegos para los Mets el año próximo!
Perez Vs. ATL in his Career:

14 gms, 14 gs

6-4

1 cg, 1 sho

91 ip

3.46 era

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
Ben Sheets' last three years are the only relevant years to this discussion. Hell, he was a walking injury the last two years.

150 innings per year over the last three years. Last year he threw 198 innings.

At least pretend like you have some idea.

RBH

kagari.jpg

What the fuck Y2Kev.......:lol

Edit: You changed it back!

somedevil

yankeeforever2 said:
He will come crawling back for 10 mil, no other team will give him above 8 mill.

Very true. The astros already said they are not interested. So when he done with being a drama queen he will be back and besides with nady we can trade for a pitcher as well.

Windu, you'll note most of those losses were early in the year this year during the Mets' period of teh s uck. But you're right; Perez doesn't own the Braves like he used to so I guess Braves fans can talk a bit.
eznark said:
150 innings per year over the last three years. Last year he threw 198 innings.

At least pretend like you have some idea.
And had an AWESOME September... ohwaitaminute.

The only reason I'd sign Sheets over Perez is he'd be cheaper and you could incentive-laden his contract since he'll eventually get hurt again. I notice I don't see the Brewers beating down his door... I don't see ANYONE beating down the door to sign Sheets right now.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
And had an AWESOME September... ohwaitaminute.

So is it Ben Sheets' career, his last three years, or only last September that matter? Your constantly shifting position has me baffled.

(You might want to shift it again to the last two weeks of September, cause he was pretty great in his first two starts that month)

clemenx

Banned
So did Perez!! throwing that 2 hitter on the final game against the Marlins to clinch the wild card... oh wait.

It seems like Boras is expecting the 15-16M and 4 years guaranteed for Lowe... if someone offers that he can go away then. I'm confident in that aspect, Minaya won't offer that.
And Perez is a Borass client as well so the price for him is probably ridiculous too (i haven't seen how much he wants)

But then Sheets becomes a must, now we are depending on a injury prone pitcher but if healthy we could have 2 aces. It's better than Tim fucking Redding.

And if not well we are fucked. Just start Santana on 3 days rest the whole season.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
The only reason I'd sign Sheets over Perez is he'd be cheaper and you could incentive-laden his contract since he'll eventually get hurt again. I notice I don't see the Brewers beating down his door... I don't see ANYONE beating down the door to sign Sheets right now.

So the fact that he is an exponentially better pitcher than Oliver Perez has nothing to do with it? That seems like an odd thing to leave off of a player eval.

Doug Melvin is pretty stupid in a lot of ways, that shit isn't my fault. Adam Dunn still hasn't signed either and not a lot of teams are showing interest. GM's are consistently very fucking stupid.

So did Perez the last game of the season on short rest.
eznark said:
So the fact that he is an exponentially better pitcher than Oliver Perez has nothing to do with it? That seems like an odd thing to leave off of a player eval.

Doug Melvin is pretty stupid in a lot of ways, that shit isn't my fault. Adam Dunn still hasn't signed either and not a lot of teams are showing interest. GM's are consistently very fucking stupid.
If you can guarantee Sheets will be healthy, maybe. Sheets is one elbow injury away from retirement at this point (see John Patterson). I'm just saying there's a difference in the waiting game:

Orlando Hudson: Wants to wait for NY team (aka Mets) to get rid of Castillo.
Adam Dunn: Maybe the strikeouts are scaring people...
Pedro Martinez: Wanted to wait until January. Has talked to Mets since.
Oliver Perez: Wanted the market to dictate terms, now rumored to be talking to 2-3 teams.
Ben Sheets: Waiting to see how healthy he is, teams scared off of due to injury past.
Derek Lowe: Asking for a fuckton of money he doesn't deserve. Clearly delusional, has been cursed out in Spanish by Omar Minaya.

Grecco

CygnusXS said:
Wren, I think, wasn't so bad last offseason. The Renteria/Jurrjens-Hernandez trade was brilliant. The Kotsay/Devine swap worked out decent enough for both teams. But, whatever. He's choking harder than the Mets right now.

The Devine Kotsay trade was retarded. Joey Devine will close for the As next year he was flat out nasty. Kotsay played two months for us before hurting his back again. Awfull Awfull deal. If anything the Ohman thing was the only other "positive" and he fucked it up by not dealing Ohman at the trade deadline.

The Guys a moron. Was a moron in his only year in Baltimore and is a moron now. I cant wait till the Braves boot this guy.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
So did Perez the last game of the season on short rest.

If you can guarantee Sheets will be healthy, maybe. Sheets is one elbow injury away from retirement at this point (see John Patterson).

What pitcher isn't an elbow injury away from retirement? His most significant "injury" was an inner ear imbalance which caused him to miss a ton of time. After that it was a back issue and some minor arm problem. It's been difficult to discern exactly what the issue was that ended his 08 (there have been conflicting reports) but the fact is he doesn't have a history of arm problems, so he is at no greater risk of elbow injury than anyone else.

jman2050

Hey hey, Perez is no Ben Sheets but he gets way too much flak, especially on these boards. He's a better version of Matsukaka and does nicely in the 3-4 spot, with the ability to be dominant at times. I certainly wouldn't try to sign him over Lowe though, that's just silly.

eznark

Banned
jman2050 said:
Hey hey, Perez is no Ben Sheets but he gets way too much flak, especially on these boards. He's a better version of Matsukaka and does nicely in the 3-4 spot, with the ability to be dominant at times. I certainly wouldn't try to sign him over Lowe though, that's just silly.

By what measure?

Sanjuro

jman2050 said:
1zc2z7.jpg

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
jman2050 said:
Look, I know you hate the DICE KING, but that statement is just wrong.

Sanjuro

2mfkm4w.jpg

I knew they were going to issue his number again. So my jersey is still up to date, but still looks weird to me. It would really be a nice story and pleasure to see this guy go on a tear this season. I have been hearing his original illness was misdiagnosed and currently is using a new treatment.

On the number side if things though I will flip my shit if they issue out #21.

*LOL at the stickers on the hat. Probably grabbed one on Yawkey few minutes before the conference.

Wickerman

Right-handed starting pitcher Tim Redding is on the verge of signing with the Mets. Redding is expected to receive a one-year deal for $2.25 million, plus incentives.

The Mets have been pursuing a host of pitchers and will still be looking for a frontline starter. Their top two targets for that spot remain Derek Lowe and Oliver Perez, with Randy Wolf the backup plan. The Mets also have been talking to Freddy Garcia and future Hall of Famer Pedro Martinez.

Redding did an admirable job for the Nationals last season, going 10-11 with a 4.95 ERA for the last-place club. But the team non-tendered him because it figured he could receive $3 million through arbitration.

Redding, a native of upstate New York, was also pursued by the Orioles, Rockies and a few more teams.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/39422

Hopefully, this takes Pedro out of the mix.

bluemax

Banned
Lulz the Royals are so bad, they just gave Willie Bloomquist 2 years, a chance to be a starter AND actually used the word Igniter the press conference.

clemenx

Banned
Wickerman said:

Why hopefully? I'm sure that if Pedro signs somewhere else he'll be better than Reading.
I think we should give Pedro a chance to compete with Reading and Niese for 5th starter

I don't like this signing, Reading makes no sense, now that's being cheap if you're gonna sign a low tier starter go with Wolf or Garland. At least is only 2.25 million

LJ11

I see this as depth move, Redding isn't guaranteed shit with a contract like that.

Wickerman's hate for Pedro is strong, but I don't want him back with the Mets either. Time to move on.

In any universe, Pedro >>>>>> Tim Redding.

Even diminished Pedro that can only throw 86MPH.
Pedro and Tim Redding will likely cost similar money too, so you might as well sign him instead.

Either way, neither of these guys are going to replace the need for the Mets to go get a Derek Lowe or Ben Sheets or resign Perez or something.

Pedro might be better, but the Mets need an innings eater. God knows how many innings Pedro is gonna go this year. I'd say around 130 tops. I'd rather have someone who won't be as good, but will gimme close to 200 innings.

Windu

Is Redding or Pedro going to be the 5th starter? Personally, I always like giving the 5th spot to a young kid.

The Mets still need an innings eater having signed Tim Redding.

You think it's a good idea for the Mets to go to war with a rotation of

Santana
Maine
Pelfrey
Redding

?

The Mets need to sign that non-shitty 3rd/4th starter, and then have an insurance guy ready for when Redding shits the bed.

And he WILL shit the bed. Often. He's Tim Redding. C'mon, guys.

Joe

· For the sixth straight year, YES was the most-watched New York-based regional sports network in total day delivery; its average delivery of 29,000 TV households was comparable to the combined delivery (31,000) of the other three New York-based regional sports networks (MSG, MSG Plus and SNY).

· For the sixth straight year, YES was the most-watched New York-based regional sports network in primetime (7-11 pm), averaging 72,000 TV households.

· Thirty-three YES telecasts of Yankees games in 2008 garnered a 5.0 rating or better, compared to just seven SNY telecasts of Mets games.

· In primetime, YES’ Yankees game telecasts regularly out-performed ABC, NBC, Fox and CBS programs in New York. For example, from May 28 to August 7, primetime YES Yankees telecasts were the No. 1-rated program in the New York DMA 24 out of 25 game days in TV households, Men 18+, Men 18-49, Men 25-54, Adults 18-49, Adults 25-54, and Total Viewers 2+.

cashrain1.gif

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEYYYYYY

Yankees make a fuckton of money, and then take that money and invest it in the Yankees - and make even more money to continue the cycle as a result.

Best ownership EVER.

captmcblack said:
The Mets still need an innings eater having signed Tim Redding.

You think it's a good idea for the Mets to go to war with a rotation of

Santana
Maine
Pelfrey
Redding

?
I don't think anyone's arguing that.

clemenx

Banned
Well Niese will probably compete with Redding and Pedro (or other cheap pitcher) for #5 spot.

I'm certain we're gonna sign one of Lowe or Perez

Santana
Lowe/Perez
Pelfrey
Maine
Redding/Niese/someone

That's probably going to be the rotation. I hope there's a way to bring Sheets on the cheap but that's just wishful thinking.

I'm not crazy about that rotation but will do it i guess, now that the bullpen is supposedly omg hax! Anyways it's better to not set oneself for disappointment and have limited expectations.

LJ11

For the record I wasn't comparing the two players. Redding is a meaningless signing, he'll make Matt Wise money. The Mets will throw him into the mix and he'll sink or swim in Spring Training. He's there to push Niese if you ask me.

Pedro will not cost the Mets a little over $2m, no fucking way. If Martinez is signed he's guaranteed a spot in the rotation. Redding is guaranteed a trip to Spring Training. Again, I'm not comparing the two, I don't even see Redding being in the rotation (Niese will beat him out). It's a depth move.

Edit: If Redding is pitching with regularity, I'm going to hang myself.

funkmastergeneral said:
And how much did they get in public funding for the stadium?

Don't know exactly; it was probably a lot.
I know the Yankees had to pay a lot of their own money too...more than the public funding, definitely.

LJ11 said:
For the record I wasn't comparing the two players. Redding is a meaningless signing, he'll make Matt Wise money. The Mets will throw him into the mix and he'll sink or swim in Spring Training. He's there to push Niese if you ask me.

Pedro will not cost the Mets a little over $2m, no fucking way. If Martinez is signed he's guaranteed a spot in the rotation. Redding is guaranteed a trip to Spring Training. Again, I'm not comparing the two, I don't even see Redding being in the rotation (Niese will beat him out). It's a depth move.

Edit: If Redding is pitching with regularity, I'm going to hang myself.
I am appointing you my official spokesman.

Windu

info on MLB 2k9 from PastaPadre"
I’ve gotten my hands on the features list for MLB 2K9. This represents the first real info for the game which is set to be in stores on March 3rd.

As expected it appears that they’ve attempted to simplify several aspects of the game. The trading card system looks to have been improved and more has been done to add to the authenticity of the experience. Providing the basics such as a smooth framerate and solid online performance are a necessity for this year, but other than those things is there enough here to deliver the game consumers have been hoping for?

Continue on to check out what is in store for this year and leave your thoughts in the comments!

Homerun Derby presented by State Farm

New best of the best mode. Test your skills against the top 20 HR hitters.

Classic mode streamlined for faster gameplay

New Playoffs Mode

Jump right into a playoff scenario without having to play through a whole season.

Get all of the rewards of the World Series celebrations if you win.

Topps Trading Cards

Greatly simplify the user experience to unlock trading cards. Better players are harder to unlock.

Unlock them both by playing with and against the player

Build trading card teams with no budget restrictions and take them online.

Review the trading cards in books anywhere in the game.

Reelmaker

Add SFX and graphic overlays to in-game replays to create your own highlight reel.

You can have the game digitize the reel and upload it to 2KSports.com to share with the world.

Rate reels and directors through our simple 2Krating system

VIP Viewer

View all of your user stats in one place.

Your abilities are graphed out, displayed in chart form, and comparable against league averages.

Trophies

Implement the new Sony PS3 trophy system

On 360 each time you unlock an achievement you get a new trophy added to your display case.

Pitching

Pitching – Unique pitching controls with increased accessibility for pick-up-and-play users.

Improved pitching controls - Simplified controls to 2-step pitching – hold and gesture

Catcher’s will call for pitches according to the hitter’s weaknesses

Hitting

Influence hit – The users will be able to influence a fly ball or groundball with new controls.

New bunting controls – Improved bunting will make it easier to lay down a bunt.

Zone hitting – Users will be able to put the bat on the ball with our new zone hitting feature.

Hit distribution – Improved hit distribution for a wide variety of hits.

Fielding

Fielding – Upgraded fielding system with new ability to quick throw when in a rush.

Fielding AI – Improved fielding AI will highlight the player’s true ability.

Quick Throws – Quick throws will allow the user to throw on the run or start a double play quicker.

Hold the ball – Users will be able to cancel a throw and throw to a different direction on the fly.

Baserunning

Simplified controls for the user for stealing and baserunning.

Signature Style

More than 300 new signature animations, making MLB2K9 the most realistic baseball sim to date.

Real-time Living World

Anything that happens in a baseball stadium happens in 2K9 in Real Time.

Players will move from the dugout to the batter’s box and from the bullpen to the mound.

Players warm up by throwing around the horn, bat swinging practice, etc.

Umpire, ball boys, coaches – All onfield personnel will be moving naturally to and from their positions.

Celebrations – Players will react properly to a regular end-game to walkoff home run, to no-hitter and World Series celebration.

Vendors move in the crowd

Fans react to home runs and foul balls

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01092009/sports/mets/lobbies_for_met_return___and_for_lowe_149344.htm

PEDRO LOBBIES FOR METS RETURN
AND FOR LOWE, TOO

Pedro Martinez Pedro Martinez spent yesterday afternoon entertaining friends on his boat in the Dominican Republic. The future Hall of Fame pitcher wants to sail - back to the Mets New York Mets .

In an exclusive interview with The Post, Martinez said he's open to pitching just about anywhere in 2009, but the Mets are far and away his first choice.

He also urged the Mets to sign free-agent righty Derek Lowe, Martinez's former teammate on the Red Sox.

Martinez's agent, Fern Cuza, is expected to speak with Met GM Omar Minaya next week about re-signing the 37-year-old right-hander. Minaya has indicated throughout the offseason that Martinez is a realistic option.

"I went over to the Mets with something in mind, to win a World Series in the National League, and I haven't achieved that," said Martinez, who just completed a four-year, $53 million contract.

"I'm anxious to get out there with the team that we have right now. We should be really close to a team that will win it all, and I want to be part of it."

Minaya's focus has remained on free agents Lowe and Oliver Perez, in that order, for one spot in a rotation that will include Johan Santana, Mike Pelfrey and John Maine. Martinez could be a factor for the rotation's fifth spot.

Nevertheless, Martinez's durability remains an issue after three straight seasons in which he spent significant time on the disabled list with hip, calf, toe and hamstring ailments, as well as rotator-cuff surgery that shelved him for most of 2007.

Last season Martinez finished 5-6 with a 5.61 ERA, but says his problems were more mental than physical as his father, Paulino, battled and then succumbed to brain cancer in late July.

"I was trying to find cover under baseball, to get away from what happened with my dad, and obviously it didn't work," Martinez said.

"I thought I was going to put it away, put it aside, be distracted from everything that had happened with my dad, and it didn't happen.

"I couldn't talk about it, either. It was too much under my chest. It really does affect somebody to lose a parent like that, especially a good guy like my dad."

Martinez says he's fine physically and has been long-tossing, without throwing from a mound this offseason. He sounded confident he can stay healthy for a full season.

"I haven't in the last three years, but I've had the time I needed to rest and get my mind set and get everything ready," Martinez said.

"I've been in rehab after rehab the last three years. I feel [everything] has gone away, and I can really perform to a level I expect to perform for a team in the big leagues."

In his dream Met rotation for next season, Martinez is flanked by Lowe, whom he considers one of the two best big-game pitchers he's played with (Curt Schilling is the other).

Even if the Mets ultimately don't re-sign Martinez, the pitcher is comfortable in imploring Minaya to sign Lowe.

"It would be a great move and a smart move for Omar to do that," Martinez said.

As much as Martinez would love to have his pal Manny Ramirez as part of the mix, he also understands why the Mets have not pursued the future Hall of Fame outfielder.

"I don't go to the papers a lot, but I know what happened to [team owner] Mr. Fred Wilpon, and I feel very badly for him," Martinez said, referring to Wilpon's investments with alleged swindler Bernard Madoff.

"I feel very badly for the whole organization that those things happen. I wish I could do something. I just pray that [Wilpon] bounces back and we can give him the World Series that he deserves."
Don't worry Pedro! We get you back! You coming back!

firex

I hope Pedro at least tells Minaya that Derek Lowe's real name is Garcia or something.

that reminds me, I hope Sesenta y Uno continues his inexplicable good pitching against the Mets next season. It was bizarre seeing him go from gas can to pitching a quality start, and it only happened against the Mets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom