• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sticky this bitch.

Associated Press said:
MIAMI — The Florida Marlins traded power-hitting first baseman Mike Jacobs to the Kansas City Royals for pitcher Leo Nunez.

The Marlins were shopping Jacobs because he was due a big raise in arbitration. In exchange on Thursday, they got a right-handed pitcher who was 4-1 last year with a 2.98 ERA in 45 relief appearances.

Nunez has a 9-7 career record. Jacobs is a career .262 hitter the Marlins acquired in a 2005 trade with the New York Mets. He hit 32 home runs and knocked in 93 runs last season, both career bests

Ken Macha is the new Milwaukee Brewers coach, very good choice.

GENTLEMEN START YOUR FREE AGENT SIGNINGS!

I was surprised when I first read that news about Jacobs, because it seemed weird for the penny pinching royals to get a guy due a big ass raise. But they actually had a 60 million dollar payroll last year, they must be run by morons.

Also, I think Tex stays in Anaheim sadly. They got a lot of money off the books with Anderson leaving and can afford it.

Marvie_3

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
I was surprised when I first read that news about Jacobs, because it seemed weird for the penny pinching royals to get a guy due a big ass raise. But they actually had a 60 million dollar payroll last year, they must be run by morons.

Also, I think Tex stays in Anaheim sadly. They got a lot of money off the books with Anderson leaving and can afford it.
Well, KC is paying Jose Guillen 12M/year and Gil Meche 11+M/year. Otherwise I think there are only 1 or 2 other players on their team that make over 3M/year.

Unrelated news, supposedly A.J. Burnett is opting out of his contract.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3672970

DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers declined the option on shortstop Edgar Renteria's contract Thursday, choosing to give him a $3 million buyout instead of bringing him back at an $11 million salary.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3672409

TOKYO -- Junichi Tazawa, a hard-throwing right-handed pitcher who wants to play in the major leagues, was passed over by Japan's 12 professional teams in Thursday's amateur draft.

mlb_a_tazawa_300.jpg

Junichi Tazawa has decided to play in Major League Baseball rather than make himself available for Japan's pro teams.

Tazawa, whose fastball reaches 97 mph, had asked Japanese teams not to select him so that he could pursue a career in the United States.

"I'm very relieved," Tazawa said. "I was very nervous right up until the end of the draft."

Earlier this month, Japan's professional baseball teams agreed to introduce a ban on players who return to Japan after opting out of the amateur draft in order to play for overseas pro teams...

Taishi Ota, a power-hitting high school infielder, was the top pick of both the Yomiuri Giants and Softbank Hawks in the draft. The Giants won the negotiating rights to Ota in a lottery.
Mets better take a took at him.

Yankee offseason targets:

- CC Sabathia. Yankees can - and should - break the bank for him. 28-year old power lefty in a stadium built to be awesome for lefty pitchers in a division he's been pretty good against (except for Boston, it seems). GO GET HIM.

- Mark Teixiera. Some say he's a luxury for the Yankees. Some say he's an absolute necessity. Everyone can agree he's awesome. A young switch-hitting 1B who hits for great power and can feast on the RF short porch...and he's got a good glove to boot. Yankees should go after him once they resolve a couple of other issues with their signings.

- What happens to Pettitte and Mussina? Moose came off a vintage year and finally got his 20 wins, but may want to retire. Pettitte came off a disappointing year, but is a lefty and still eats innings - and is generally awesome in big games. If Moose retires, and Pettitte is ready/willing/able, pick his option up. If both go, you have to get another starter. If Moose is willing to return though, I'm taking him over Dandy Andy.

- What becomes of Giambi? If you can't get Tex, do you buy Giambi out and let him come back at a reduced cost? He played much better this year, and was mostly healthy...and a 30HR, 90RBI, .400OBP guy is hard to find.

- What becomes of Abreu? His defense was awful this year, but he still drives in a ton of runs and still makes A-Rod see things much better. He is ideal in that 3-hole.

- What to do with the Yankids? Hughes, Chamberlain, and even Kennedy...all didn't pan out quite as expected. Same for Melky and Cano.

- Reclamation projects: should the Yankees try for Ben Sheets?
- Fool's gold: should the Yankees try Derek Lowe or AJ Burnett?

Karakand

Retard and multiple sclerosis quotas... MET.

The Angels exercised the options on the contracts of ace pitcher John Lackey for $10 million and star outfielder Vladimir Guerrero for $15 million, SI.com has learned.

P.S. Eznark you still don't have a computer but at least you have the Mentat's reject now.

P.P.S. Fuck thread's subtitle. I want to barf every time I open the thread now.

Karakand said:
Retard and multiple sclerosis quotas... MET.

P.S. Eznark you still don't have a computer but at least you have the Mentat's reject now.

P.P.S. Fuck thread's subtitle. I want to barf every time I open the thread now.

:|

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Karakand said:
I am really not too happy about the pickup on Vlad if Arte is gonna pull that budget crap and try to lowball Tex.
thats how los anglos do it

dont worry though, tex is retarded and won't notice!

HOLLIDAY HOLIDAY PLEASE

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Hurray! The offseason is here! No more horrible 2008 season.
Marvie_3 said:
Tigers buy out Renteria's contract as well....
hmm, thought the red sox had to pay the buyout. I guess it changed when Atlanta traded him.

cashman

Banned
who do you think going to be the pitching coach for the Brewers? Do you think Maddux stays or they get Rick peterson. The Rangers will definitely get one of those 2 though.

I hope the Red Sox look at Renteria, short stop and catcher are the only two positions Boston needs (Varitek can stay if he takes some damn hitting lessons and can make solid contact with fastballs over 90).

Macha is a good hire. Good to have someone that understands OBP and isn't afraid to bench a player if they suck.

Apparently Maddux is going to talk with the Rangers on Friday, but Brewers GM Melvin is fairly confident that he'll be returning to the Crew.

Mets just signed Fernando Tatis to a one-year deal. Nice guy who deserves every penny. I wouldn't mind if he was the Opening Day LF ... as long as he learns the position better.

Windu

mikeybwright said:
I hope the Red Sox look at Renteria, short stop and catcher are the only two positions Boston needs (Varitek can stay if he takes some damn hitting lessons and can make solid contact with fastballs over 90).
meh Renteria has no range any more. I wouldn't go with him. He can still hit though.

Windu said:
meh Renteria has no range any more. I wouldn't go with him. He can still hit though.

Everyone including Mr holiday inn express Ripken Jr. in his old age has more range than Julio Lugo. Lowrie is a good utility infielder, but I don't see him as a starter.

Windu

Guybrush Threepwood said:
The Renteria trade has to be one of the most disastrous of all time. :lol
Andy Marte for 2 years of Renteria.

Renteria for Jurrjens and Gorkys.

Best braves trade in years.

but yeah, it was quite horrible for the Tigers. The red sox I think got Coco for Marte right?

Desperado said:
Astros win 2009 World Series.

The only championships the Astros will possibly be involved in next season involve their minor league affiliates, and even then, it's unlikely to happen because they have a terrible farm system.

Have fun, bottom dwellers.

Windu

the Braves are going to be busy this off season. they have a little over 40 million that they can spend. The Peavy rumors have been going around for awhile now. It sounds like it might be Peavy + Greene for Escobar and some others. Maybe Schafer, I would rather trade Gorkys though since Schafer can play in the Majors next year. Anyway, if we get Peavy without giving up Hanson and Heyward I think I might be fine with that. Although I wouldn't want to give up Schafer, Escobar and Freeman either but it seems like some of those guys will have to go.

So if we get Peavy and Greene that is about 19 million. Leaves us with about 20 million to sign a pitcher or a pitcher and a left fielder. I would personally try to go after Burnett. He will probably want 18 million per year. The Yankees might try to get him though :(

So lets say we got Peavy without giving up Hanson, Heyward or Schafer. And we signed Burnett to a multi year deal. We could then hopefully re-sign hampton for cheap, maybe give him extra money if he stays healhy or something.

So our rotation could possibly look like this:

Peavy
Burnett
Jurrjens
Hampton
Hanson/Reyes/Morton/Campillo

Then maybe Hudson comes back in August. That might be a great rotation. (2009 would be even better with Hudson the whole year.)

I don't think we need to do much with our bullpen. We just need to get more innings out of the starters and keep the bullpen healthy.

Bullpen with everyone healthy looks great:

Gonzo
Soriano
Moylan
Acosta
Blowyer
etc..

I personally would turn Chuck James into a reliever. The man can't pitch more than 5 innings in a game so I say stick him in the bullpen. I think he might do well there.

Glavine and Smoltz both say they want to pitch in 2009. If they do come back I would hope they would be willing to sign for cheap. Smoltz in the bullpen setting up Gonzo and Soriano would be great. And Glavine I guess pitch in the 5th spot until he sucks it up. But I really doubt that they come back. Glavine probably has a better chance than Smoltz, but I really think he is done. And not very many people come back from the injury that Smoltz has. But you can't count those two out though.

Now for the Offense.... :(

at 1B would be Kotchman. I know he can play better than what he showed so far with the Braves. I think he was bothered by his Family issues. You could tell in September that he finally started playing like he can. He is no Tex though.

at 2B is KJ. Even though he played great at the end of the season, I would rather trade him than Escobar. We have Prado waiting to get his shot (he deserves it). But I doubt SD would go for that since they want to unload Greene with Peavy.

SS would be Greene if we get Peavy. Oh god, I don't want to even think about this ugly mother fucking. next!

3B is the 2008 MLB Batting Champ. Chipper is still great...when healthy. I guess its good that we have decent backups in Omar Infante and Prado..but they are no chipper.

At C is McCann, who should have another great season behind the plate. I do wish he would work on his throwing game more though.

RF would be Francouer. He can't play as bad as last season, right? The kid is too talented to do that again. I expect more homers out of him, the BA though will probably be around .260 though.

CF is a question mark. If we get Peavy with out giving up Schafer then I say give him the starting job. If we have to give him up then I guess we could use Anderson in CF... :(

LF.. I have no idea. We are going to get a new one this offseason. The FA market is kinda meh right now. Wren did almost get Bay at the deadline though, that would have made this offseason a whole lot easier. I guess it all depends on what will happen with the 2 pitchers that we are going to get. If we trade for Peavy I doubt we make another trade for a LF. And if we sign Burnett then we won't have much money to get a LF.

Anyway. The braves are not going to go to the Playoffs next year. 2010 though we should be back. I just hope that Wren doesn't trade all of our great young talent to try and compete this year.

And all that stuff that I said that might happen, probably won't.. :( It will probably be a terrible off season.

mikeybwright said:

wat. We've already tried Renteria in Boston, he's a bum. Lowrie is the future anyway

I wouldn't bring back Hampton.

Campillo outperformed Hampton last year and he doesn't have mind-boggling injury problems. He should get a definite spot in the rotation before Hampton does.

I am also very excited about Hanson.

Windu

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I wouldn't bring back Hampton.

Campillo outperformed Hampton last year and he doesn't have mind-boggling injury problems. He should get a definite spot in the rotation before Hampton does.

I am also very excited about Hanson.
When healthy Hampton I think is a much better pitcher than Campillo. But that is a big IF. Thats why I would sign him for cheap and give him some kind of deal that lets him get more money if he pitches so many innings.

oh and hanson Pitched again in the AFL today.

5 IP 3H 0 R 5Ks 0 bb

66 pitches 47 strikes

I can't believe he gave up 3 hits. That bum.

Gruco

Banned
Frankman, with that title you just made up completely for your insane brand of anime-Mets advocacy.

Is Burnett a free agent this year? I'd love to swing a Peavy trade and get Burnett too, but that would be brutally hard. 40 million or no, we still need to deal with arbitration raises and some resigns, and really need another bat to the outfield along with two pitchers.

Honestly I am growing skeptical of the Peavy trade. Escobar would almost have to be involved, and he is still pretty great defensively. Trading him would also make Elvis hurt just a tad more. The only way to get out clean would be something like Jo-jo, Kelly and Gorkys, which would be completely ridiculous and possibly outshine the Soriano or Hudson trades.

LF sucks right now, and we're still basically dependent upon Frenchy surgically removing his suck gene. I was really high on the 08 team, but I feel that even with 2 big moves 09 will be an ugly year to be a Braves fan.

Also, I look forward to the Yankees signing CC to a 7 year deal and them watching him get injured halfway into next season.

Windu

Well Burnett has a option with the BJs I think. But I think he will turn it down. But I guess if he stays we could try to get another starter for cheaper....but the Yanks will probably drive up the price and we won't sign anyone. :(

Sanjuro

mikeybwright said:
3r1jc.gif

captmcblack said:
Yankee offseason targets:

- CC Sabathia. Yankees can - and should - break the bank for him. 28-year old power lefty in a stadium built to be awesome for lefty pitchers in a division he's been pretty good against (except for Boston, it seems). GO GET HIM.

- Mark Teixiera. Some say he's a luxury for the Yankees. Some say he's an absolute necessity. Everyone can agree he's awesome. A young switch-hitting 1B who hits for great power and can feast on the RF short porch...and he's got a good glove to boot. Yankees should go after him once they resolve a couple of other issues with their signings.

- What happens to Pettitte and Mussina? Moose came off a vintage year and finally got his 20 wins, but may want to retire. Pettitte came off a disappointing year, but is a lefty and still eats innings - and is generally awesome in big games. If Moose retires, and Pettitte is ready/willing/able, pick his option up. If both go, you have to get another starter. If Moose is willing to return though, I'm taking him over Dandy Andy.

- What becomes of Giambi? If you can't get Tex, do you buy Giambi out and let him come back at a reduced cost? He played much better this year, and was mostly healthy...and a 30HR, 90RBI, .400OBP guy is hard to find.

- What becomes of Abreu? His defense was awful this year, but he still drives in a ton of runs and still makes A-Rod see things much better. He is ideal in that 3-hole.

- What to do with the Yankids? Hughes, Chamberlain, and even Kennedy...all didn't pan out quite as expected. Same for Melky and Cano.

- Reclamation projects: should the Yankees try for Ben Sheets?
- Fool's gold: should the Yankees try Derek Lowe or AJ Burnett?

screw all of this free agent shit and lets just take five years of losing and rebuild the farm system, bring up players that are 'real" yankees and let's put the fear of god back into the AL

ToxicAdam

Indians are going to be in the hunt for a #3 starter. I would love for that guy to be Derek Lowe .. but I think he will want too many years.

A big 'get" (as far as trades are concerned) out there is Brian Roberts (of the O's). There is a great chance they will move him .. but the O's always seem to find a way to ruin deals.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Burnett is opting out for sure on Monday.

I'm not sure what the Blue Jays are going to do on the free agent front. At this point we might as well blow up this team but really Wells is untradeable, and so is Rolen. I would dump Overbay for anything. Try to get something decent for Ryan. Even see what people are offering for Halladay even though I doubt Rogers will let that happen.

The only good part of the season will be seeing how Snider, Cecil, Arencibia and Cooper do. I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 are in Toronto by the end of the season.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
screw all of this free agent shit and lets just take five years of losing and rebuild the farm system, bring up players that are 'real" yankees and let's put the fear of god back into the AL

We can rebuild the farm and sign FAs, particularly this year because MANY of the players on the Yankees who are free agents are Type As or Bs. Giambi, Marte, Abreu, Pettitte, Mussina, I-Rod, and others...these guys will net us a ton of picks to use in the draft. Yankees should load up on picks, break slot to pick some killer players, and get to work developing them.

We should also not be retards and not try to use the FA market to get players, too.

Raw64life

This is the first time I've really ever followed an offseason of any sport, and I have to say it seems like most of these reporters are just pulling educated guesses out of their asses and calling it inside information.

Just following the Mets closer situation in the last week, it's been reported that the Mets are going to make a big move for K-Rod, are just considering K-Rod, are completely avoiding K-Rod, are the favorite to land Fuentes, are weary of Fuentes, and are going to trade for either closer X, Y or Z. I guess one of them has to be true.

ToxicAdam said:
Indians are going to be in the hunt for a #3 starter. I would love for that guy to be Derek Lowe .. but I think he will want too many years.

There are literally over a dozen teams who want Lowe. Combine that with his agent being Boras and he is going to be severely overpaid.

The Frankman said:
Mets just signed Fernando Tatis to a one-year deal. Nice guy who deserves every penny. I wouldn't mind if he was the Opening Day LF ... as long as he learns the position better.

Tatis has been all down hill since his 2 grandslams in one inning with the Cards. :lol

Dez

R_GILL said:
Burnett is opting out for sure on Monday.

I'm not sure what the Blue Jays are going to do on the free agent front. At this point we might as well blow up this team but really Wells is untradeable, and so is Rolen. I would dump Overbay for anything. Try to get something decent for Ryan. Even see what people are offering for Halladay even though I doubt Rogers will let that happen.

The only good part of the season will be seeing how Snider, Cecil, Arencibia and Cooper do. I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 are in Toronto by the end of the season.

What's with the doom and gloom. The 2008 team had a run differential of +104, second best in the AL. Yes, the pitching will be weaker without Marcum and Burnett, but hopefully the addition of a replacement pitcher and a DH will help. With a little luck, and better run distribution, the team still has a good chance at being competitive.

cashman

Banned
Dez said:
What's with the doom and gloom. The 2008 team had a run differential of +104, second best in the AL. Yes, the pitching will be weaker without Marcum and Burnett, but hopefully the addition of a replacement pitcher and a DH will help. With a little luck, and better run distribution, the team still has a good chance at being competitive.
start a petition to be in the AL North.

Desperado

tyguy20204 said:
The only championships the Astros will possibly be involved in next season involve their minor league affiliates, and even then, it's unlikely to happen because they have a terrible farm system.

Have fun, bottom dwellers.
'bottom dwellers' :lol

Coming from a Brewers fan, that's amazing

LJ11

Left fielder, he plays in Colorado, get it done Omar.

Martinez and a couple of other prospects should get it done. Wouldn't give up Flores, but would throw in Holt or Niese, maybe another mid-level prospect as well.

Marvie_3

Banned
mikeybwright said:
BOOOO--UUURNS! Renteria was bad the first time we had him! I'd like to see what Lowrie can do over a full season first before the Sox panic about the SS position.

Varitek needs to go. He has been getting progressively worse the last few years. His hitting slumps are getting more and more common. Still a good defensive catcher and game caller but a total liability in the lineup.

LJ11 said:

Martinez and a couple of other prospects should get it done. Wouldn't give up Flores, but would throw in Holt or Niese, maybe another mid-level prospect as well.
Even though I'm not a HUGE fan of Holliday like Kev, I wouldn't mind seeing this happen. I like Teixeira more than Holliday, but his contract is going to be HUGE, and I see Omar keeping Delgado at 1B next season.

No thanks on Holliday. I'd rather use the chips for bullpen and SP. Mets have plenty of hitting especially if they add a veteran bat. No matter how much hitting you got, if the pitching can't hold it (like this year) then it's pointless. I don't want any more ulcers in the 7th 8th and 9th.

LJ11

CajoleJuice said:
Even though I'm not a HUGE fan of Holliday like Kev, I wouldn't mind seeing this happen. I like Teixeira more than Holliday, but his contract is going to be HUGE, and I see Omar keeping Delgado at 1B next season.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan either, but we desperately need another right handed bat in the lineup and he's the best available (outside of Ramirez) that fits a position of need as well. A platoon of Murphy and Tatis wouldn't be bad, but Murphy is such a liability in the OF. I wonder what Boras/Holliday will ask for, $20m is my guess at the least.

Edit: Omar will get a pitcher in FA. Bullpen is going to be addressed, no question about it, but who knows how those acquisitions turn out. Going into '06 our bullpen was labeled shit, Wagner being the lone exception. Worked out well for us, they were good when it counted, we won a bunch of 1 run games. Bullpen is such a toss up. Even if it is addressed you don't know what you have until they're on the mound.

LJ11 said:

OH HELLS NO.

I don't want Matt Holliday If I have to give up Martinez, Niese AND 2 other top guys. Besides check out Holliday's park-adjusted numbers:

BA- .275
OBP- .348
SLG- .439
OPS- .788

Plus by not going after him we save money to acquire Derek Lowe, Orlando Hudson, and sign/trade the boatload of relievers we need. Left field is like 6th on the list of Mets needs behind Bullpen, Starter, Bullpen, Bullpen, and 2nd Base; then comes LF and Bullpen.

Derek Lowe is a must. Fuck Sabathia. Then try to sign or trade for bullpen and maybe a 2nd baseman. I'll take my chances in the OF. You can always patch OF, but you can't patch together a bullpen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom