• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zep

Banned
Chase...YOU ARE THE MAN. "WORLD FUCKING CHAMPS"

That was fun, never seen so many people in my life. Lets do it again! :D

And jabs at the Messs will never get old. I'm sure they'll hear about it, haha.

Zep said:
That was fun, never seen so many people in my life. Lets do it again! :D
Holy shit that was nuts, easily over a million people with the line going all the way from city hall to the sports complex. It would have been more if Septa didn't overflow the regional rails and stopped picking up people. I finally got home 10 hours later. I want these in poster form stat:

3146oat.jpg
b5of1k.jpg
125hy1e.jpg

I clicked your name just to see your reponse... WHY? It's not like 2007 here. I mean Rollins always was an asshat, and he never hit against the Mets in 2008. Mets went 10-6 vs. Philadelphia, props to them for winning it all. It's nice to know the Phils are gay for the Mets, they can't stop talking about them throughout the whole playoffs. Gives Omar and Co. incentive to do "Condom Night" when Philly comes to Citi next year.

Novid

Banned
And to prove it some pictures!

DSCF0754-vi.jpg

DSCF0761-vi.jpg

DSCF0771-vi.jpg

DSCF0772-vi.jpg

DSCF0774-vi.jpg

ONE MORE TIME...

DSCF0762-vi.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

There one thing you can be proud for New York, your transit system...:lol :lol :lol

NomarTyme

Illuminati said:
Holy shit that was nuts, easily over a million people with the line going all the way from city hall to the sports complex. It would have been more if Septa didn't overflow the regional rails and stopped picking up people. I finally got home 10 hours later. I want these in poster form stat:

b5of1k.jpg
I want to shoot it.

jman2050

If a Phillies World Series win lands in a forest with no one around, does it make a sound?

Or um... something like that.

CC is awesome but he's also a fat bastard and has a gajillion innings pitched. Signing him to a Santana deal is a risky endeavor that, frankly, the Yankees don't need to go for.

Teixeira, however, IS worth going for. Legit power-hitting 1B? And he's only 28? Break the bank for him I say. Only him though, as there really isn't much else in the FA market for the Yankees to address their needs. I don't know what the hell we're doing in center field next year, unless they decide to give Gardner or (heaven forbid) Melky another chance.

rc213

bluemax said:
Blake is old and busted, yeah he was an improvement over LaRoche but only because LaRoche was epically bad. Dump Blake, put DeWitt back at third and play Hu.

Hu was mindblowingly bad at the plate when he had the chance to play when Furcal went down. Abreu who I thought could take over at 2nd is stuck in injury hell and it doesn't look like he will be ready to play for a while.

Novid

Banned
In what is to become the greatest sports year in recent memory - you wouldnt have known about the Rays or the Phillies (or many other teams for that matter that were making runs) if you were sticking close to Fox or BSPN - for nearly 16 weeks - all they showed was Yankees, Red Sox, maybe the Dodgers after Manny got traded - maybe the Rays in passing, and mostly empty words from the Mets.

But that being said - The season was close to the wire again. The Mets had the lead...but again, I dont know what it is... But they...closed the door on themselfs. They could have won it all this year.

But this series, while not as great as others (IMO its as good as some of the older contests of the past 10 or 15 years) showcases huge problems the Majors need to fix. Game 5's ratings was Beyond the pale in Philadelphia (51.1/68 HOLY SHIT) and Boston was shocking (19.8) and New York was suprising too (zep gave the numbers) but - the whole series is near BCS numbers. (You would have never had known it if you read the new york papers)

They need to get rid of Selig. NOW. TODAY. WE CAN ALL AGREE ON THAT AT LEAST.

Next, once a new Commish is in, revealuate the contract with Fox. Do what the NFL does and at least 18 of the games near the end of the season with playoff contenders and have the Local guys call the games - I dont know how it would be done, but it can be pulled off.
Joe Buck 1% of the time tries to be like Joe Garugolia - but 1% of a good Joe Buck isnt enough, he got to go. Carver as well. Hes like Billy Packer - good the first 10 years but needed to go when CBS ended its Baseball run. They need to get somebody who wants to call the 26 games throughout, otherwise give the contract to a network that dont act like it doesnt have another song out side of the Rocky theme.

Once that happens, they need to get some sort of a cap going. (OH, SOCALISM in the American Game? BLASHEMER!) When all they talk about is A-Rod, his Maddy Problem, and his $250 Millions that havent yet produced a world title - there is SOMETHING wrong. And now they want to get CC Sabathia? HE GOT RAIN ON BY BRETT MYERS DUDE! WTF STEINBRENNER? Philly just told you how they did it...FARM SYSTEM! LORD - 250 Million would have the best farm system in the history of earth but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. And you want Manny Too? Ok hes good but you have to get to the playoffs first...and worry less about how many Dallas cheerleaders Joba gonna mack on.

But anywho - heres to next season Oh and Mets fans.

I hope for the best, but please collapse again for me.

DSCF0761-vi.jpg

ITS OURS SUCKAAAAAAAAA!:lol :lol :D

Novid

Banned
jman2050 said:
If a Phillies World Series win lands in a forest with no one around, does it make a sound?

We did make a sound. Too bad Joe Buck and BSPN is complaing to the FCC over Chase Utley's f-bomb instead of improving what is a simple sport to cover for crying out loud.

Zep

Banned
I like you...

But you said two nice things about the Messs in that post. I...Can't jive with that.

:lol @ all the Philly fans thinking about the Mets first after winning the WS. Keep it up guys. It proves we matter more than yourselves.

Zep

Banned
LOL...You pussies don't matter. We're just shoving it in your faces. I will never forget Wright's quote after the '07 collapse, "What have they ever won?" :lol

Got your answer now, you little dipshit.

If we don't matter how come you have to shove it in our faces? Keep lying to yourselves.

And it's so much funnier how mad you are when you just won. O god I was pissed you guys won, but it makes me feel so much better that you don't even know how to enjoy it and run to Met fans to rub it in hoping they would feel bad to make yourselves feel like you matter. Thanks :lol

I already know that for the rest of my life none of the teams I root for will ever win a championship. You can't make me feel more shittier about that than I already am. But it makes me feel better when idiot Philly fans make my Mets slightly more significant.

So if I'm ever feeling down about a Met loss, I know there will be Philly fans like you making me feel better about myself just a bit.

Kuroyume said:
The Phillies revolve around the Mets. They're nothing without the Mets.
Quoted for truth. Philly acts like they beat the Mets or something... it's like they have an inferiority complex, I mean the ran their mouths ALL SEASON, pointed out supposed unsportsmanlike Met behavior (nvm they were the ones really doing it), then talked throughout the playoffs... I mean really, who's kidding who? They are enamored with the Mets.

Zep

Banned
Frank, I loved that post so much...I wanna buy you an italian ices at the new stadium. Just tell me when we'll meet up @ Citi Field next year! I should be in the country in the beginning of May and I won't stab you on the 7-train, promise.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
One of the 500+ pictures I took. Wanted to post this one just out of hilarity.

zvaoud.jpg

And Chase. "We are the fucking champions!!" :lol
15q2f77.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
Zep said:
Frank, I loved that post so much...I wanna buy you an italian ices at the new stadium. Just tell me when we'll meet up @ Citi Field next year! I should be in the country in the beginning of May and I won't stab you on the 7-train, promise.
Don't trust him, Frank.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Well at least the Phillies have won a Championship in the last 20 years. The Mets? :lol

Dude...nothing revolves around the Mets.

The Mets are the Mets. They are funny because they are almost always hapless. Sometimes, they play good baseball though.

captmcblack said:
Dude...nothing revolves around the Mets.

The Mets are the Mets. They are funny because they are almost always hapless. Sometimes, they play good baseball though.
You haven't been reading the papers then. Every round of the playoffs Phils somehow brought up the Mets twice each round.

Zep

Banned
This just in. . .

Ruben Amaro Jr. is the new Phillies general manager.

Sources close to the situation confirmed to the Daily News' Paul Hagen that club president Dave Montgomery met with assistant general manager, scouting and player development Mike Arbuckle yesterday and informed him that he had lost out to Amaro in what had been considered a two-man sweepstakes.

Arbuckle, who was hired by former general manager Lee Thomas before the 1993 season, then informed Montgomery that he will be leaving the organization to pursue other opportunities, the sources continued.

An official announcement is expected Monday.

The decision to hire Amaro, 43, is hardly a shock. There was strong speculation when Pat Gillick was hired three years ago that he was brought in, in part, to mentor the young assistant.

Amaro, who was often presented as the public face of the Phillies front office as Gillick preferred to operate of the spotlight, is heavily involved in many aspects of the organization, including contract negotiations. It was Amaro who introduced closer Brad Lidge and spoke for the organization when the Phillies announced his contract extension earlier this season.

Amaro has strong Phillies ties. His father, Ruben Sr., played for the Phillies and then worked for the team in a number of capacities. Ruben Jr. was a batboy for the Phillies from 1980 through 1983, and also played for the Phils in 1992-93 and 1996-98. He is also bilingual and a graduate of Stanford.

Nevertheless, Arbuckle's qualifications merited strong consideration. One of the first things Montgomery mentioned on the field in the giddy moments of euphoria after the Phillies clinched the team’s first World Series title since 1980 on Wednesday night was the “many homegrown players” who had made it possible.

And it was Arbuckle, 58, who supervised the drafts that netted Ryan Howard, Cole Hamels, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Brett Myers, Pat Burrell and Carlos Ruiz. It was also the system that provided the players (Michael Bourn, Geoff Geary, Mike Costanzo) that allowed Gillick to acquire Brad Lidge last November.

It remains to be seen if others in the scouting and player development department will follow Arbuckle out the door.

Amaro, who has been mentioned as a candidate for several general manager positions over the past few offseasons, will represent the Phillies at the GM meetings in California starting Monday.

Rueben always comes off like an ass...but he's ready for the job. Hope Mike gets an oppertunity somewhere.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The Braves-Peavy talks have stalled. I'm guessing that SD asked for Hanson or Heyward and probably more and Wren said fuck off.
Jazzy Network said:
Joke post? There's a good amount of teams that have gone without a championship for longer.
well then, they suck.

firex

The Frankman said:
You haven't been reading the papers then. Every round of the playoffs Phils somehow brought up the Mets twice each round.
As the butt of a joke, like the Mets organization has been for the most part in the past 20-odd years.

firex said:
As the butt of a joke, like the Mets organization has been for the most part in the past 20-odd years.
I know a Reddings fan ain't talking shit, go back to your wind-tunnel stadium of broken dreams.

Karakand

Zep said:
Adam/Kara...

What are your thoughts about Juan Rivera?
He's not an elite-level player or anything but I didn't mind him getting playing time.

However I am desperate for any kind of hitting for power, you probably aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom