• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zep

Banned
Well, you think he would be a good replacement for Pat? Is the guy capable of playing everyday? We just need that consistant .280-.290 hitter behind Howard. And I'm just wondering if last year was the exception.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

mCACGj

Windu said:
Saw this on Espn.com, I can't read the whole article though since you have to pay for it. Thank god though, since that is one of the worst ideas I have heard in a long time.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blo.../blog/index?entryID=3678254&name=olney_buster

That's stupid. The weather was perfect except for the rain (which obviously was a huge deal, but they should have never started that game).

I don't understand why people keep saying this. The World Series isn't big enough for a neutral site, and it's not fair to the home fans who would be the only ones who would buy tickets. It's much different than football.

Playoff baseball is cold weather. I'm not looking for below 32, but 40 to 60 degrees is playoff baseball. If they're not wearing long sleeves, I'm upset. November is a problem on the other hand, which is why MLB sucks and so does the WBC (Lidge better not be pitching in that). How are they going to do that next year?

"There is only one October and only one November."

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
mCACGj said:
Playoff baseball is cold weather. I'm not looking for below 32, but 40 to 60 degrees is playoff baseball. If they're not wearing long sleeves, I'm upset.
I'm looking forward to some October baseball in Target Field come 2010. The weather up here sucks fucking dicks all year long, and winter generally starts early. Maybe they'd just have to play the Series in the Trashbag Dome or something.

Zep

Banned
You like the look of the stadium? Just looks really plain to me..But at least they show some skyline.

mCACGj

Lambtron said:
I'm looking forward to some October baseball in Target Field come 2010. The weather up here sucks fucking dicks all year long, and winter generally starts early. Maybe they'd just have to play the Series in the Trashbag Dome or something.

I actually deleted a part of my post saying "I look forward to the Twins being in the World Series next year in November." I still think of playoff baseball with there being a chill in the air, and getting colder as the night goes on. I always loved my fall league, so maybe that's why, but I really don't think cold weather (45-60) was a problem, it was simply the rain, and that happens in a lot of places (not taking into account a dome). And well, the Twins will be used to it after playing in snow during March and April that it'll be a home field advantage by October.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Zep said:
You like the look of the stadium? Just looks really plain to me..But at least they show some skyline.
Well, the seats face home plate and not center field, and there's no possibility of being sucked out of the doors due to a pressure change, so it's an improvement there at least, haha. I think the field looks pretty good, I love downtown Minneapolis, and I'm really excited to go to games there, however I am a little worried about it because I have to travel to get there and that'll suck if the game is postponed due to the weather or something. Buuut I'll take that risk for outdoor baseball. :)

Zep

Banned
On what should have been one of the greatest days of his life, Mike Arbuckle wore a fake smile riding through the streets of Philadelphia on Friday.

That night, after more than a million fans celebrated the Phillies winning the World Series with a parade and rally, Arbuckle spent four hours clearing out his office at Citizens Bank Park.

Arbuckle saw the handwriting on the wall, and the next day, his 58th birthday, his heart was broken when he was called into a Saturday morning meeting with team president David Montgomery that lasted an hour.

Ruben Amaro Jr., the Phillies' other assistant GM, is Montgomery's pick to replace retiring GM Pat Gillick.

Arbuckle quit on the spot despite pleas from Montgomery to stay.

The reason: He's unwilling to work for Amaro.

This all comes from multiple team sources, some of the many Arbuckle supporters in the Phillies' scouting and player-development departments.

They say Arbuckle, who has been with the Phillies since 1993, deserved the promotion over Amaro. They point to the Phillies roster and say Arbuckle and his staff are totally responsible for the drafting of their homegrown stars — Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Pat Burrell, Cole Hamels, Brett Myers and Ryan Madson. They say Amaro never took much of an interest in player development or scouting, and back it with detailed stories. They say Montgomery didn't do his homework.

Amaro couldn't be reached for comment.

“I've known Ruben since he was a player — I was his hitting coach in Cleveland in 1994 and 1995 — and he's always been a worker,” Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said.

Arbuckle, who returned to his home in Kansas City on Saturday, was reached there on Sunday but refused comment until after Amaro's hiring is made official today.

His friends in the organization say Arbuckle will land on his feet soon, perhaps as an executive for the Kansas City Royals. Royals GM Dayton Moore and Arbuckle are tight.

Arbuckle, who has interviewed for seven GM jobs, leaves with two months remaining on a three-year contract that runs out in December and won't be with the Phillies this week at baseball's GM meetings.

Meantime, there's speculation that Amaro's hiring and Arbuckle's departure will lead to more front-office changes with some removals probably not occurring until after the 2009 season.

It's believed the Phillies will make an all-out attempt to keep director of scouting Marti Wolever, whose contract also expires in December.

With Arbuckle leaving, Amaro is expected to rely on Charley Kerfeld, a special GM assistant under Gillick, to be a right-hand man.

Amaro also is expected to make at least two front-office hirings. According to sources, John Green, Dave Hollins and Brian Graham are potential candidates.

Green is the son of Phillies executive Dallas Green and recently was let go after working 10 years for Pittsburgh as a scout and special GM assistant.

Hollins was a star third baseman on the Phillies 1993 World Series team who now is a scout for Baltimore. Graham, who previously coached with Manuel in Cleveland, was Pittsburgh's farm director from 2002-07 and currently is a special assignments scout for Baltimore.

“The whole key for every GM is surround yourself with people you can trust and people who know the game,” Manuel said.

Not surprising at all..

Zep said:
Well, you think he would be a good replacement for Pat? Is the guy capable of playing everyday? We just need that consistant .280-.290 hitter behind Howard. And I'm just wondering if last year was the exception.

Milton Bradley, if he could stay healthy, seems like a good fit, especially in a hitters park like in Philly. He put up career numbers playing in Arlington.

Zep

Banned
Yea, I've been on the Bradley bandwagon. He's a friend of Utley and I'm sure having Howard and Rollins can only help things. Just not sure he would like the Phillies fans booing when he struggles. Thats an implosion waiting to happen.

And it helps that he's a Type B free agent.

Zep

Banned
Figure I do this everyday...

NL

PHI
David Montgomery says Mike Arbuckle is leaving the Phillies organization because Arbuckle feels like there will be issues among the ranks from those who wanted Arbuckle as the GM. Montgomery wanted Ruben Amaro, Jr. as his GM but Arbuckle in an elevated role.

Pat Gillick will remain with the Phillies as an advisor to Ruben Amaro, Jr.

AZ
The Diamondbacks exercised right-hander Jon Rauch's option for the 2010 season.

CHC
The Cubs declined the $3-million option for back-up catcher Henry Blanco.

Ryan Dempster won't re-sign with the Cubs before the team loses exclusive negotiating rights on Nov. 13. Everyone has assumed that Dempster will stay with the Cubs, but he does want to test the open market.

COL
Kansas City, the New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox and Atlanta have indicated interest in Wily Taveras.

The Yankees, Boston, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles Angels, New York Mets and Philadelphia have shown interest in Matt Holliday and Garrett Atkins.

FLA
The Marlins claimed left-handed pitcher Dan Meyer off waivers from the Oakland A's.

HOU
The Yankees have been very aggressive in calling teams to see who might be available. One of the teams they called was the Houston Astros, asking about Roy Oswalt and Lance Berkman and were told they were not going to be dealt .

LAD
The Dodgers' will try to re-sign Manny Ramirez , as General Manager Ned Colletti is expected to meet with agent Scott Boras for the first time this off-season at the general managers' meetings.

MIL
Mike Cameron will be back in center field at Miller Park in 2009.

SI.com reports that the Brewers have, within the past day or so, presented CC Sabathia with a contract offer in the $100 million range. Jon Heyman says that the word is that the proposal was for four or five years and between $20 and $25 million, and quite possibly for $100 million over five years.

NYM
The Mets picked up Carlos Delgado's, the same day Pedro Martinez filed for free agency. Mets GM Omar Minaya followed through on his recent promise to pick up the $12 million option on the final year of Delgado's contract.

SD
San Diego wants two or three top quality players in any deal for Jake Peavy.

STL
The Cardinals are interested in free agent Edgar Renteria.

The Cardinals are interested in free agent Brian Fuentes.

WAS
The Nationals have targeted free agent Adam Dunn.

AL

BAL
The O’s are expected to trade catcher Ramon Hernandez and starter Daniel Cabrera.

The O’s could be looking at Mark Teixeira, A.J. Burnett, Paul Byrd and Jon Garland.

BOS
Tim Wakefield will be with the Sox again this coming year.

The only way the Cleveland Indians would part with catcher Kelly Shoppach is if they got a young closer in return. Which means the Red Sox would have to part with someone like Justin Masterson.

DET
The Boston Globe, quoting a National League general manager, believes there is not much of a market for cather Jason Varitek. The reported interest in Varitek by the Detroit Tigers appears to be a smoke screen.

KC
The Royals agreed to terms with catcher Miguel Olivo on a one-year deal with a club option for 2010.

NYY
Damaso Marte, Jason Giambi and Carl Pavano aren't likely to have options picked up - which will make them free agents.

The Yankees signed RHP Sergio Mitre, who had been with the Marlins, to a one-year contract with a club option for 2010.

SEA
The agent for Ken Griffey Jr. said Friday that his client is open-minded to discussing a return to Seattle

TB
The Rays declined designated hitter Cliff Floyd's $3 million option for 2009.

TEX
Gerald Laird could be traded soon.

Zep said:
Figure I do this everyday...

SEA
The agent for Ken Griffey Jr. said Friday that his client is open-minded to discussing a return to Seattle

the part of me that is a nostalgic 12 year old is happy about this...but then the other part of me realizes that Griffey is pretty much done and barely a step up from Richie

BobLaBamba.jpg

"RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEE!"

Sexson at this point and the garbage ass front office needs to focus on actually making this team better (by trading Ichiro, you fuck heads) rather than making novelty moves.

cashman

Banned
Zep said:
TEX
Gerald Laird could be traded soon.
Actually there are quite a few rumors about Salty getting traded. But you're right there is no way Laird should be on this team when next season starts.

ToxicAdam

cashman said:
Actually there are quite a few rumors about Salty getting traded. But you're right there is no way Laird should be on this team when next season starts.

Why, because Max Ram makes him expendable?

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Blue Jays are trying to dump Overbay. I guess that means we are either going after Giambi or Lind/Snider will play 1st.

Ninja Scooter said:
Minaya won't stop until he's loaded up on more latino immigrants than a Denny's kitchen.
Oh please, one thing I learned in my short visit to Chicago is they like to use the Mets as their rumorbase. At one time Mets were to sign Jose Contreras, get Jon Garland for our top prospect, interested in Thome (when Delgado was slumping), and somehow get Jermaine Dye. All those rumors were in the span of 2 seasons, all bogus.

pollo

Banned
R_GILL said:
Blue Jays are trying to dump Overbay. I guess that means we are either going after Giambi or Lind/Snider will play 1st.

hrmm.. I'd think Giambi makes sense for you guys. 2 yurrs 15 mil?

I could see it.

Windu

ToxicAdam said:
Why, because Max Ram makes him expendable?
salty and Max..

/shoots himself.

edit:
8:42pm: Padres GM Kevin Towers recently spoke to the press, stating that Jake Peavy has approved two AL teams in addition to his known five NL clubs. The Yankees and Angels are now possibilities. If there were to be any acceptable AL teams, it figured to be these two based on earlier rumblings.
edit: nvm :lol
8:52am: Peavy's agent, Barry Axelrod, says they have not given approval for the Yankees or Angels. Axelrod reiterated that the Yankees would have to pay a premium (likely an extension). Towers said he doesn't believe the Angels would have to pay the same premium.

8:35am: Towers also doubts Peavy would approve a trade to Milwaukee.

Sanjuro

Kelly Shoppach for Masterson? No thank you. Seriously though what happened to the catching position? There are only a handful of great to above average ones in MLB.

bluemax

Banned
mYm|17| said:
damn, when are we going to see some blockbuster moves here

Not until the winter meetings probably.

Also I feel bad for Phillies fans a little. They will soon be entering the Post Gillick free fall. As Blue Jays, Orioles and Mariners fans how well their teams fared after Gillick left.

Or just read this:

http://ussmariner.com/2008/11/01/the-gillick-rings/

rc213 said:
Hu was mindblowingly bad at the plate when he had the chance to play when Furcal went down. Abreu who I thought could take over at 2nd is stuck in injury hell and it doesn't look like he will be ready to play for a while.

Good point, Abreu is probably the better prospect now.

xbhaskarx

Who is Qwerty and why is Beane mocking him?

ToxicAdam said:

WTF. sticking to just the top 20...
too low:
10 Adam Dunn 29 OF
16 Ben Sheets 30 SP
19 Orlando Hudson 30
20 Milton Bradley 30 OF

too high:
4 Francisco Rodriguez 27 RP
8 Orlando Cabrera 34
9 Oliver Perez 27 SP
11 Brian Fuentes 33 RP
12 Kerry Wood 31 RP
14 Bobby Abreu 35 OF
15 Ryan Dempster 31 SP
18 Juan Cruz 30 RP
21 Casey Blake 35

Maybe it doesn't make sense to have so many listed as too high, what I mean is I wouldn't want my team to sign any of them for the money they're probably going to get.

Windu

Well I can see why some of those players are rated highly. Francisco Rodriguez just came off a 62 save season. Every body needs a power bat so Adam Dunn is up there in the rankings. And even though Ben Sheets gets injured every other day he is still a Ace and those are in high demand. And then there is Milton Bradley, maybe some people are confused and think they are buying the company at a really cheap price or something. /shrug.

xbhaskarx

Windu said:
Well I can see why some of those players are rated highly. Francisco Rodriguez just came off a 62 save season. Every body needs a power bat so Adam Dunn is up there in the rankings. And even though Ben Sheets gets injured every other day he is still a Ace and those are in high demand. And then there is Milton Bradley, maybe some people are confused and think they are buying the company at a really cheap price or something. /shrug.

Rodriguez and those other three you mention are on two separate lists.
Dunn isn't rated highly enough on that list, same with Sheets and Bradley.

Would anyone really prefer to have Orlando Cabrera or Oliver Perez over Dunn?

Windu

xbhaskarx said:
Rodriguez and those other three you mention are on two separate lists.
Dunn isn't rated highly enough on that list, same with Sheets and Bradley.
oh oops read your post wrong I guess.

edit:
DANA POINT, Calif. -- Greg Maddux, the eighth winningest pitcher in major league history, is almost certain to retire, his agent, Scott Boras, said tonight.

"He hasn't made a final decision, but for now it is doubtful he will play (any longer)," Boras said at the GM Meetings. "As it stands now, he is not going to play."

Maddux is a certain Hall of Famer. He won four Cy Young awards in a row from 1992-95. Maddux is 355-227. He began last season with the Padres and finished up working mainly out of the pen for the NL West champion Dodgers.

Only Warren Spahn with 367 wins has more victories in what is considered the live ball period of baseball, since 1920, than Maddux.
:(

xbhaskarx

And Orlando Hudson is pretty much the only decent 2b available, with Mark Ellis having re-signed with the A's. He's a decent hitter and excellent defensively. I guess Dan Uggla is available via trade, but he's not a free agent.
Of course it's SI and they probably just ignore defense altogether. Even if they didn't they probably rely on useless stats like errors.

OH WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT HERE

p1030443247.jpg

GODDAMN MANGA MOTHERFUCKERS MESSING UP OBAMA WHY PALIN LOOK GOOD? WHY McCAIN NOT HAVE JOWLS? WHY HILARY LOOK LIKE A MAN OH WAIT THAT BITCH DOES LOOK LIKE A MAN BUT OBAMA SUPPOSED TO BE ONE HANDSOME MOTHERFUCKER HE PROBABLY FUCK YOUR SISTER AND GIRLFRIEND IF HE WANTED TOO.

Windu

hmm Dave O'brien over at AJC says there is a small rumor going around about Kelly Johnson for Ryan Ludwick. Ludwick certainly had a great year in 08 but I wonder if he is a one hit wonder or if he will continue to perform like that. And if so, why would the Cards deal him? /shrug. just a small rumor, doubt anything comes from it.

oh and apparently the Braves offered this Japanese Pitcher Tazawa that people are talking about a Major League Contract. I wonder how good this guy actually is, since he hasn't played in the big leagues in either Japan or MLB.

Windu said:
?

did they resign him or something? They declined option, right?
No they're looking to sign him :lol

Oh this night can't get any better.
oh and apparently the Braves offered this Japanese Pitcher Tazawa that people are talking about a Major League Contract. I wonder how good this guy actually is, since he hasn't played in the big leagues in either Japan or MLB.
HEY YOU BETTER GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM HIM JERRY MANUEL AIN'T SCARED OF NO ASIANS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom