• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ11

The Frankman said:
OH HELLS NO.

I don't want Matt Holliday If I have to give up Martinez, Niese AND 2 other top guys. Besides check out Holliday's park-adjusted numbers:

BA- .275
OBP- .348
SLG- .439
OPS- .788

Plus by not going after him we save money to acquire Derek Lowe, Orlando Hudson, and sign/trade the boatload of relievers we need. Left field is like 6th on the list of Mets needs behind Bullpen, Starter, Bullpen, Bullpen, and 2nd Base; then comes LF and Bullpen.

Yeah, I've looked at his park adjusted numbers, they're not great, but I still think he fits a position of need. Martinez is a lefty, the guy can't stay healthy at all, and his development isn't where it should be. I want to keep him, but I also want to win. We need a right handed bat with power. We'll get a pitcher and bullpen help, but we also need that right handed bat.

jakncoke

Banned
Such a depressing time of year, seeing Pirates won't do anything worth while :/. Why can't Mark Cuban save me from my misery....I mean he's Pittsburgh hometown guy...perhaps if we threatened to move like the Penguins did he'd offer to buy the team and bring us out of the longest losing streak.

jakncoke said:
Such a depressing time of year, seeing Pirates won't do anything worth while :/. Why can't Mark Cuban save me from my misery....I mean he's Pittsburgh hometown guy...perhaps if we threatened to move like the Penguins did he'd offer to buy the team and bring us out of the longest losing streak.

Enjoy Craig Hansen, sucker!

Wickerman

The Frankman said:
I wouldn't mind if he was the Opening Day LF ... as long as he learns the position better.
Tatis over Murphy? No way.

Tatis should be on the bench when the Mets open up the 2009 season

I've wanted Lowe for a while, but it seems everyone wants him now. He's going to end up getting a pretty damn big contract. Oh, and I didn't look at the numbers myself, but Kev told me that Holliday's away numbers have gotten better each year. But I do agree with Frankman's list of priorities.

LJ11

The fact that were arguing over who's the lesser of two evils in LF says it all.

When Murphy arrived at Jacksonville University he was asked "What position do you play?" His reply, "I bat third." Murphy proved he can hit, but he'll end up hurting himself diving for a ball, or go into a wall if we keep him out there.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Need more evidence of Holliday's improvement on the road? Let's a take a look at IsoD/IsoP (Isolated Discipline/Isolated Power) numbers when he is not in Colorado:

04: .047/.127
05: .057/.160
06: .053/.205
07: .073/.184
08: .097/.178

First, the 28-year old outfielder plays an unbalanced schedule in three parks that are brutal to right handers (Petco, Dodgers Stadium, and AT&T Park) and has increased his road OPS every year since his rookie season, improving to .892 in 2008. His road OBP has also improved every season, including a stellar .405 this year.

help computa

Priority #1 has to be SP for the Yanks. Bringing back Andy and Moose would be a tremendous failure; I see tards on Yankee boards like, "WE JUST NEED TO SIGN TEX AND BRING BACK ANDY AND WE'RE SET!!!"

I wish these people would just go root for the Phillies or some shit.

Ok, so I had to look up the numbers myself:

Holliday away numbers

2005: .256/.313/.416
2006: .280/.333/.485
2007: .301/.374/.485
2008: .308/.405/.486

DAMN IT KEV
HOLD ON
WAIT A MINUTE

Y2Kev

jetertiger1.jpg

the hair:lol :lol

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Dez said:
What's with the doom and gloom. The 2008 team had a run differential of +104, second best in the AL. Yes, the pitching will be weaker without Marcum and Burnett, but hopefully the addition of a replacement pitcher and a DH will help. With a little luck, and better run distribution, the team still has a good chance at being competitive.

Our pitching last year was superb while our offense was anemic. Our one strength from last year will take a huge hit this year with the loss of our 2nd best pitcher in Marcum and Burnett who had overall had a decent season. Halladay is Halladay but after that their are huge question marks everywhere. Barring any signings our rotation is shaping out to be:

Halladay
McGowan
Litsch
Purcey
Richmond/Parrish/Cecil

McGowan is a huge question mark, he started off well but then struggled and then suffered a pretty serious shoulder injury. Even if he comes back how good will he be? Litsch had a pretty good season. I actually do believe he will pitch well next year but his stuff really isn't that good and he does have the potential to blow up. Purcey pitched really well in triple A, but really didn't do much at the MLB level and his walk rate was even worse then it was when he struggled mightily in the minors. Richmond and Parrish are really just filler and we might have both in the rotation as McGowan really isn't scheduled to come back till May. Cecil did struggle a bit in AAA, he probably isn't ready yet and probably won't be until mid season.

On the offensive side. Overbay has sucked 2 years in a row now and if not for his OBP he would be completely useless. Rolen is a huge injury risk, even when healthy his power looks completely shot. Hill probably won't do any better then Inglett did last year. Barajas sucks. Other then Furcal I don't see any SS who will put up much better numbers then Scutaro did last year. Snider possibly can have a huge impact, but then again he is only going to be 21 years old, realistically you can't really expect him to do any better then Jay Bruce did this year (keeping in mind he will probably do worse as Bruce is a better overall hitter then him). The only places where I see definite improvement from last year are the OF positions where Rios will most likely bounce back, and we will have Lind and Wells for the whole season.

Y2Kev

CajoleJuice said:
Ok, so I had to look up the numbers myself:

Holliday away numbers

2005: .256/.313/.416
2006: .280/.333/.485
2007: .301/.374/.485
2008: .308/.405/.486

DAMN IT KEV
HOLD ON
WAIT A MINUTE
YOU GOT THE RIGHT BITCH
WAIT A DAMN MINUTE
FUCK GLENWOOD
I'M CHEECH

Marvie_3

Banned
Jazzy Network said:
Derek Lowe is a must. Fuck Sabathia. Then try to sign or trade for bullpen and maybe a 2nd baseman. I'll take my chances in the OF. You can always patch OF, but you can't patch together a bullpen.
Boras is going to drive Lowe's contract up to WAY more than he's worth. Might as well just spend the extra and get Sabathia at that point....

Wickerman

funkmastergeneral said:
I think it's pretty clear why Tatis should be starting over Murphy for the Mets
If Fernando Tatis is the Opening Day LF'er, the Mets and their fans can expect repeat of '07 and '08.

LJ11

No idea what the numbers Kev posted mean, but I do understand what CJ posted and they're good enough for me.

Wickerman said:
If Fernando Tatis is the Opening Day LF'er, the Mets and their fans can expect repeat of '07 and '08.
Because Tatis blew it for us down the stretch right? You know he led the Mets in hitting with RISP and had a BA of over .350 in CLose and Late?? Hell if the Mets had him in September I think they make the playoffs because Mets could've sat Church and went Murphy/Tatis a lot more. Say what you want, Tatis' fielding >>> Murphy/Evans fielding. No way Mets give up four guys for Holliday, he's not Johan Santana.

HOW DARE YOU JUMP UP IN MY FAITH, ANYWAY!

Zep

Banned
Man, what are my offseason plans?!

1. Go to Championship parade tomorrow

Oh right... I'm sorry, continue on fellas.

rc213

Fuck the Doyers front office if they don't attempt and resign Beardy. They wanna put DeWitt at 3rd but then you leave a giant hole at 2nd base.

Fuck Lowe, Dude has been sucking off Boston since he got pulled out of the game early by Torre. Also got to find a nice spot to dump the lifeless bodies of Andruw Jones, Pierre and Schmidt.

Zep said:
Man, what are my offseason plans?!

1. Go to Championship parade tomorrow

Oh right... I'm sorry, continue on fellas.
It's 6AM, I've come downstairs to eat breakfast. Turn on the local news and see that people have been camping out on the parade route the entire night. I am now eating as fast as I can now so I can hop on the regional rail to center city and save seats for my friends or visa-versa. This is madness, it was close to freezing or below freezing last night.

eznark

Banned
Karakand said:
Retard and multiple sclerosis quotas... MET.

P.S. Eznark you still don't have a computer but at least you have the Mentat's reject now.

P.P.S. Fuck thread's subtitle. I want to barf every time I open the thread now.

I don't understand any of this post.

I like the Macha hiring. I hope it angers Kendall and he shoots himself in the face.

Karakand

eznark said:
I don't understand any of this post.
Lackey looks like a retard and Vlad runs like he has some kind of disease.

You always say you want a computer to GM the Brew. Now you have someone that was shit-canned by Billy Beane, the human computer (Mentat). Baby steps my friend!

Billy Beane sucks I don't want to stare at his ugly-ass name whenever I come into this thread.

eznark

Banned
Karakand said:
Lackey looks like a retard and Vlad runs like he has some kind of disease.

You always say you want a computer to GM the Brew. Now you have someone that was shit-canned by Billy Beane, the human computer (Mentat). Baby steps my friend!

Billy Beane sucks I don't want to stare at his ugly-ass name whenever I come into this thread.

Thank you. Being away from the thread for a week or so clearly made me rusty.

I like Macha, he appreciates OBP and values an out more than a base. At least that is what he says.

eznark said:
Thank you. Being away from the thread for a week or so clearly made me rusty.

I like Macha, he appreciates OBP and values an out more than a base. At least that is what he says.

I know you're a pretty fervent Redsox hater, but have you seen him on NESN this year? Genuinely smart baseball guy, I'm surprised he didn't have a job for awhile

eznark

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
I know you're a pretty fervent Redsox hater, but have you seen him on NESN this year? Genuinely smart baseball guy, I'm surprised he didn't have a job for awhile

actually no, I didn't. What are his Red Sox ties, or why was he on NESN?

Sanjuro

eznark said:
actually no, I didn't. What are his Red Sox ties, or why was he on NESN?
He used to manage the PawSox. Wanted to become Boston's manager but at that time was in the A's organization and they wouldn't allow him to speak to us so we hired Grady.

Dez

R_GILL said:
Our pitching last year was superb while our offense was anemic. Our one strength from last year will take a huge hit this year with the loss of our 2nd best pitcher in Marcum and Burnett who had overall had a decent season. Halladay is Halladay but after that their are huge question marks everywhere. Barring any signings our rotation is shaping out to be:

Halladay
McGowan
Litsch
Purcey
Richmond/Parrish/Cecil

McGowan is a huge question mark, he started off well but then struggled and then suffered a pretty serious shoulder injury. Even if he comes back how good will he be? Litsch had a pretty good season. I actually do believe he will pitch well next year but his stuff really isn't that good and he does have the potential to blow up. Purcey pitched really well in triple A, but really didn't do much at the MLB level and his walk rate was even worse then it was when he struggled mightily in the minors. Richmond and Parrish are really just filler and we might have both in the rotation as McGowan really isn't scheduled to come back till May. Cecil did struggle a bit in AAA, he probably isn't ready yet and probably won't be until mid season.

On the offensive side. Overbay has sucked 2 years in a row now and if not for his OBP he would be completely useless. Rolen is a huge injury risk, even when healthy his power looks completely shot. Hill probably won't do any better then Inglett did last year. Barajas sucks. Other then Furcal I don't see any SS who will put up much better numbers then Scutaro did last year. Snider possibly can have a huge impact, but then again he is only going to be 21 years old, realistically you can't really expect him to do any better then Jay Bruce did this year (keeping in mind he will probably do worse as Bruce is a better overall hitter then him). The only places where I see definite improvement from last year are the OF positions where Rios will most likely bounce back, and we will have Lind and Wells for the whole season.

The Jays are offering something like 15 mill for burnett, they will use that money to sign some pitcher.. so no, the rotation isn't shaping up like you project. If they can't get Burnett, they can go for Lowe or Sheets, who very well could be improvements on Burnett but might not make as much. Cecil looks ready to make the majors to me, a groundball pitcher with strikeout numbers is as much of a lock as there is.. but yeah he did walk a bit too many in AAA, but was still striking out a batter/inning. I think a rotation of Halladay,Burnett/Lowe/Sheets,Litsch,McGowan,Purcey/Cecil/Janssen would be very good.. There are questions about McGowan, true.. he might not be back till the allstar break or something.

Rolen is not really a liability, because of his outstanding defense - you can expect an 800 OPS from him next year i'm sure. His OPS this year was above 800 every month except one where he was clearly injured. Overbay, I agree, is finished offensively.. but his 375 OBP is still nice, and he hits righties very well (865 ops last year) - get him a platoon partner and you have above avg 1B production. Offensive improvement from the Jays has to come from a DH signing and a RH bat to spell Overbay/Lind, and steps forward from one of Lind or Snider, and return to form of Rios and Wells. I don't think that's too optimistic.

bluemax

Banned
Guybrush Threepwood said:
I wouldn't bring back Hampton.

Campillo outperformed Hampton last year and he doesn't have mind-boggling injury problems. He should get a definite spot in the rotation before Hampton does.

I am also very excited about Hanson.

Well I guess compared to Hampton he doesn't, but Campillo's career was supposed to be over after he got hurt with the Mariners. It is a wonder he is still pitching.

rc213 said:
Fuck the Doyers front office if they don't attempt and resign Beardy. They wanna put DeWitt at 3rd but then you leave a giant hole at 2nd base.

Fuck Lowe, Dude has been sucking off Boston since he got pulled out of the game early by Torre. Also got to find a nice spot to dump the lifeless bodies of Andruw Jones, Pierre and Schmidt.

Blake is old and busted, yeah he was an improvement over LaRoche but only because LaRoche was epically bad. Dump Blake, put DeWitt back at third and play Hu.

Ninja Scooter said:
c'mon FO trade Ichiro.

and :( Griffey's probably done now?

They wouldn't get anything remotely close to value for him. Ditto Adrian Beltre, he's under valued compared to his actual worth.

I'm all for trading Yuniesky Betancourt to any team who needs a "defensive whiz" at SS.

Doogdogg said:
Wakefield is returning. he is the best bargain for a #4-#5 guy at only $4 million.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1129026&srvc=home&position=1

But please Theo sign a #4 guy or get Masterson back there. Can't have Wake in playoff again.

I love Wake, and he wasn't the only pitcher to pitch a shitty game against the Rays...He is a solid 14-12 pitcher, great for a #5.

Also the comment about his contract, hes been pitching for what 12+ years I don't think money is his biggest concern, if you've ever heard him in an interview he straight up loves the game (which is why he always leaves it up to the red sox to renew his contract or retire).

ToxicAdam

The problem with Blake is that he will get a multi-year contract. Probably a 2 year deal with a third year option. Do, you really want a 38 year old Blake on your team making 5-6 million?

eznark

Banned
mikeybwright said:
I love Wake, and he wasn't the only pitcher to pitch a shitty game against the Rays...He is a solid 14-12 pitcher, great for a #5.

Also the comment about his contract, hes been pitching for what 12+ years I don't think money is his biggest concern, if you've ever heard him in an interview he straight up loves the game (which is why he always leaves it up to the red sox to renew his contract or retire).

It's a shitty contract because it has been structured this way for what, 5 seasons, and it's a Red Sox option. He isn't getting anywhere near market value.

Loving the game and making money aren't mutually exclusive.

ToxicAdam

Top 50 Free Agents (Sports Illustrated)

1 CC Sabathia 28 SP .
2 Mark Teixeira 28 1B
4 Francisco Rodriguez 27 RP
5 A.J. Burnett 31 SP.
6 Derek Lowe 35 SP .
7 Rafael Furcal 31 SS
8 Orlando Cabrera 34
9 Oliver Perez 27 SP
10 Adam Dunn 29 OF
11 Brian Fuentes 33 RP
12 Kerry Wood 31 RP
13 Pat Burrell 32 OF
14 Bobby Abreu 35 OF
15 Ryan Dempster 31 SP
16 Ben Sheets 30 SP
17 Raul Ibanez 36 OF
18 Juan Cruz 30 RP
19 Orlando Hudson 30
20 Milton Bradley 30 OF
21 Casey Blake 35 .
22 Andy Pettite 36 SP
23 Joe Beimel 31 RP
24 Jason Giambi* 38
25 Mike Mussina 40 SP
26 Juan Rivera 30 OF .
27 Edgar Renteria* 33 SS .
28 Jamie Moyer 46 SP .
29 Dennys Reyes 31 RP
30 Mark Grudzielanek 38 .
31 Garret Anderson* 36 OF .
32 Trevor Hoffman 41 .
33 Joe Crede 30 3B
34 Randy Johnson 45 SP
35 Jeremy Affeldt 29 RP
36 Paul Byrd 38 SP .
37 Ken Griffey Jr* 39 OF .
38 Braden Looper 34 SP
40 Kevin Millar 37 1B .
41 Nick Punto 31 2B Twins .
42 Jon Garland 29 SP Angels .
43 Mark Kotsay 33 OF
44 Pedro Martinez 37 SP Mets
45 Rocco Baldelli 27 OF
46 Jim Edmonds 38 OF .
47 Ivan Rodriguez 37 C
48 Scott Eyre 36 RP .
49 Felipe Lopez 28
50 Jason Varitek 36 C

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...0/30/reiter.top.freeagents/index.html?eref=T1

Major dropoff there from 2 to 3.

EDIT: Actually 3 is Manny, 4 is K-Rod, so it's a major dropoff from 3 to 4....main point being K-Rod sucks.

And I'm glad they didn't overrate Varitek, the guy has fallen off the cliff.

jakncoke

Banned
23 Joe Beimel 31 RP

I am interested in seeing where he goes, my family is friends with his cousin. Never did meet him though. Best chance would of been when he was still playing for the Pirates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom