• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The Frankman said:
No they're looking to sign him :lol

Oh this night can't get any better.
oh :lol ...then again, the braves might resign Hampton too... although it better be at a very cheap price.
HEY YOU BETTER GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM HIM JERRY MANUEL AIN'T SCARED OF NO ASIANS!!!
I hope the Braves sign as many Asians as possible then, so Manuel can show his "angry" side. I love that side, so funny. whoops, was thinking of Charlie Manuel, not Jerry. Haven't seen Jerry get mad much, but Charlie, he is hilarious.

Karakand

bluemax said:
Also I feel bad for Phillies fans a little. They will soon be entering the Post Gillick free fall. As Blue Jays, Orioles and Mariners fans how well their teams fared after Gillick left.
I'm sure the championship DVD will console them in the times that try mens' souls.

bluemax

Banned
Karakand said:
I'm sure the championship DVD will console them in the times that try mens' souls.

Well played.

Fielding bible awards are out, THE definitive award for defense:

http://fieldingbible.com/

For you lazy bastards the winners:

Pujols 1B
Phillips 2B
Beltre 3B
Rollins SS
Crawford LF
Beltran CF
Gutierrez RF
Yadier Molina C
Kenny Rogers P

It is a great read for anyone who is interested in learning about defense.

Also for the Jeter haters there is a great article on Jeter's defense vs Adam Everett from last year.

rc213

bluemax said:
Not until the winter meetings probably.

Also I feel bad for Phillies fans a little. They will soon be entering the Post Gillick free fall. As Blue Jays, Orioles and Mariners fans how well their teams fared after Gillick left.

Or just read this:

http://ussmariner.com/2008/11/01/the-gillick-rings/

Good point, Abreu is probably the better prospect now.

From what has been reported, Abreu is still not over whatever it is he has been suffering from the past year and a half. Doyers don't see him as a reliable option. :S

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/...t=AptOBLIWE_Wy6fLJqyjU0R4T0bYF?urn=mlb,119817

Boras looking for Posada-like deal for Varitek
Scott Boras

Getty Images

Let the Scott Boras games begin. Boras is eyeing Yankee catcher Jorge Posada's four-year, $52.4 year deal as a benchmark for Boston Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek.

"It is probably representative age-wise and it's also representative of what a player on a winning team - for very different reasons, obviously - can do," Boras said. "You aren't going to have many catchers with those performance levels - a 60 percent winning percentage on a franchise which has won two championships, caught four no-hitters. I can go on and on. The idea of it is there aren't many players in the marketplace who lead a team like Jason Varitek can, and that's got to be his value."

Sox general manager Theo Epstein, apprised of Boras's opinion, had no official comment, but his facial reaction wasn't that of a man who was in agreement. Epstein and Boras have had preliminary talks on Varitek, but by tomorrow the Sox likely will receive the "book" that Boras and his staff compile on each of their clients. Epstein has a meeting planned with Boras today and said they would be discussing a full slate of Boras clients currently with the Sox.

Whether they wind up keeping Varitek is hard to gauge.

"Teams offer contracts, I don't," said Boras. "I'm at the will of what teams choose to do."

But it appears the Red Sox will talk with the Texas Rangers about their two young catchers, Taylor Teagarden and Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who could be in play if the Sox are willing to give up the right pitching prospect (likely Clay Buchholz or Michael Bowden).

If this deal has any basis in reality, then I say good riddance Varitek! Time to bring up Exposito and see what he can do.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
bluemax said:
Not until the winter meetings probably.

just read this:

http://ussmariner.com/2008/11/01/the-gillick-rings/

I don't know about the Orioles or the Mariners, but the Blue Jays have sucked post Gillick because of Gord Ash and JP Ricciardi. Not because of anything Gillick did in his last days in charge. Hell it was Gord Ash's fault that the Jays went from a team who signed a ton of latin talent to one that barely does anymore. Ash inherited a bunch of very good prospects in Delgado, Green, Carpenter, and Escobar.

RBH

Windu said:
hmm Dave O'brien over at AJC says there is a small rumor going around about Kelly Johnson for Ryan Ludwick. Ludwick certainly had a great year in 08 but I wonder if he is a one hit wonder or if he will continue to perform like that. And if so, why would the Cards deal him? /shrug. just a small rumor, doubt anything comes from it.

oh and apparently the Braves offered this Japanese Pitcher Tazawa that people are talking about a Major League Contract. I wonder how good this guy actually is, since he hasn't played in the big leagues in either Japan or MLB.
Ludwick for KJ would be a real interesting trade, but at the same time, Johnson really started to come around at the end of last year, so I wonder if that will carry over to this year.

And I can't remember the last time the Braves had a Japanese player on their major league roster.

bluemax said:
Also for the Jeter haters there is a great article on Jeter's defense vs Adam Everett from last year.
Yes, it is indeed awesome.

Sorry I don't have anything else to say after my short ban.

Zep

Banned
David Wright, won another gold glove :lol

What a goddamn joke. Feliz should have that shit locked up.

And Utley was dicked again.

Wright makes the spectacular plays, dude.

Speaking of Reyes, during today’s broadcast on Comcast SportsNet of the Phillies World Championship parade through Philadelphia, host Michael Barkann asked his co-host, Mitch Williams, “I wonder if Jose Reyes is watching,” continuing, “Do you have anything to say to Reyes.”

Williams responded by saying, “This is what happens when you shut up and play.”

…seriously, as a Mets fan, i don’t know if i am flattered or just disturbed by how obsessed the Phillies are with the Mets, such as this photo which was sent in from Chris P, taken on the night the Phillies won…

2989095323_3568503b62_o.jpg

…i mean, guys, you won…we should be making negative comments like this about you…not the other way around…jeez…why is that city so desperate for new york’s approval…
Jesus Christ Philly isn't gay for the Mets, NAWWWW!!

Zep

Banned
I understand that making him the GG is for marketing but give me a fuckin break. Dude makes a number of spectacular plays a year...But that doesn't forgive his rubber arm for a 3B.

And fuck Bluemax link...Evan Longoria? Really? Yea, hes better than Wright or Feliz.

Now that we're getting into the stupid award time of the year, why don't they just give the Silver Slugger to the guy with the best slugging percentage (to go along with the name lulz), or OPS? That would be very simple.

Hmm, maybe I like bluemax's link more now that they gave it to Phillips too instead of Utley. I rescind my last statement about Utley having that shit on lock. :lol

AP said:
the buzz seems to be that the Mets could swap Javier Vazquez for Luis Castillo, who, i guess in one scenario, could be replaced by Lugo, who the Chicago Tribune suggested could be traded for Vazquez…
DO IT. To get rid of Castillo I would take Vazquez. I'd sprain my wrist grabbing the pen.

NY Baseball Digest said:
according to MikeFrancesa.com, citing an inside source, WFAN may be leaning towards Kim Jones as Francesa’s co-host during WFAN’s Mike’d Up.
so... instead of partnership Evan Roberts or Bob Huestler with him for (knowledgeable Mets personalities) for a balanced baseball viewpoint, they may team him up with a person who spent the last two years working for YES, traveling with and covering the Yankees… Instead of having a balance of Yankee knowledge and Mets knowledge on the most influential talk-show in New York City, it will be Yankees and Yankees… FUCK.

Windu

David Wright another GG?!?! wtf!

oh and dear Philly fans, quit mentioning the Mets in every single sentence you say. Its getting a little weird.

Windu said:
oh and dear Philly fans, quit mentioning the Mets in every single sentence you say. Its getting a little weird.
b-b-but how will they be motivated to beat us without mentioning us in every breath like Atlanta did?

oh wait Atlanta DIDN'T mention them in every breath.

Windu

The Frankman said:
b-b-but how will they be motivated to beat us without mentioning us in every breath like Atlanta did?

oh wait Atlanta DIDN'T mention them in every breath.
Thats because we knew that we were always the better team. The Phillies still have their doubts.
edit:
According to the Los Angeles Daily News, the Dodgers have made an opening offer to Manny Ramirez.

The speculation is that they're offering $25 million per year for two or three seasons. Ramirez isn't expected to sign anytime soon. Agent Scott Boras is looking for a six-year deal that would take Manny up to age 42.

Windu said:
Thats because we knew that we were always the better team. The Phillies still have their doubts.
Goodamn umps gave your pitchers two inches off the plate every game. Let me not mention Angel Hernandez either :lol

Windu

The Frankman said:
Goodamn umps gave your pitchers two inches off the plate every game. Let me not mention Angel Hernandez either :lol
well, it wasn't every game.

ToxicAdam

AL GG picks leaked a bit early.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

P - MIKE MUSSINA - YANKEES
C - JOE MAUER - TWINS
1ST - CARLOS PENA - RAYS
2ND - DUSTIN PEDROIA - RED SOX
3RD - ADRIAN BELTRE - MARINERS
SS - MICHAEL YOUNG - RANGERS
OF - TORII HUNTER - ANGELS
OF - GRADY SIZEMORE - INDIANS
OF - ICHIRO SUZUKI - MARINERS

AL SS's are a pretty sorry bunch (defensively).

firex

not surprised to see Brandon Phillips near the top of 2B on bluemax's link (although holy shit at Utley. I knew he was good, but I didn't realize he was that good) and then to see Keppinger and Edwin Encarnacion down near the bottom. Those guys are just terrible, although Edwin's occasionally had his moments where he's looked like an all star. But that's like, 3 games out of 162.

pollo

Banned
The Frankman said:
DO IT. To get rid of Castillo I would take Vazquez. I'd sprain my wrist grabbing the pen.

so... instead of partnership Evan Roberts or Bob Huestler with him for (knowledgeable Mets personalities) for a balanced baseball viewpoint, they may team him up with a person who spent the last two years working for YES, traveling with and covering the Yankees… Instead of having a balance of Yankee knowledge and Mets knowledge on the most influential talk-show in New York City, it will be Yankees and Yankees… FUCK.

waaah deal with it. Benningo, Evan, Steve, and 95% of WFAN shows are in the tank for the Mets anyway.

Windu

10:53pm: Ken Rosenthal says the Cubs are the frontrunner for Peavy, "perhaps even ahead of the Braves." He says the Cubs also want to re-sign Ryan Dempster. The Cubs' dream rotation would be Peavy, Carlos Zambrano, Dempster, Ted Lilly, and Rich Harden.
Well I guess its nice to know that the Braves are not willing to give up the farm for him. It will be interesting to see what they get from the Cubs though.

ToxicAdam said:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C - JOE MAUER - TWINS
1ST - CARLOS PENA - RAYS

Mark Ellis got robbed at second base, that's the only part of his game that's any good!

mYm|17|

ToxicAdam said:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C - JOE MAUER - TWINS
1ST - CARLOS PENA - RAYS

Nice, Carlos Pena finally getting some love

Zep

Banned
DANA POINT, Calif. — Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd increased the likelihood Matt Holliday will be traded with his admission Wednesday he doesn't have to receive a proven starter in return.

O'Dowd is looking for the best deal, not the best pitchers, with multiple opposing executives predicting that Philadelphia and Oakland are the most likely trade partners.

"There is not much pitching in the market available. Period," O'Dowd said. "And any pitching we get will likely be projection pitching. Not that guy that has been there, done it. We are completely open-minded to anything."

O'Dowd has been laying the groundwork for weeks regarding Holliday, trying to sift through the best fits. O'Dowd held extensive talks with Philadelphia in July regarding Holliday and Brian Fuentes, asking for Triple-A pitching prospect Carlos Carrasco and big-league starter J.A. Happ. In the playoffs, multiple Phillies players were convinced the team would make another serious run at Holliday if left fielder Pat Burrell wasn't re-signed.

Oakland has completely restocked over the past year in multiple deals and has enough depth to make a deal without crushing its farm system. General manager Billy Beane doesn't fear monster trades — see Tim Hudson, Dan Haren — and could always spin Holliday at the July 31 deadline if his team struggles. The Rockies have had past interest in starter Justin Duchscherer.

Tampa Bay has also expressed interest and has young pitchers Edwin Jackson and Andy Sonnanstine and outfielder Carl Crawford to dangle. O'Dowd said the search has narrowed for Holliday, while indicating the interest for Garrett Atkins was still taking shape.

There is so much momentum toward a Holliday trade, O'Dowd talked like it would be difficult to put the toothpaste back in the tube, so to speak.

"We have to listen more intently and put more thought into it (given Holliday will be a free agent at season's end)," O'Dowd said. "It's not
All Things Rockies

Post reporter Troy E. Renck blogs this week from the general managers' meetings in Dana Point, Calif.
the same with Garrett. With two years left before his free agency, I am OK there. I can't tell you where the Matt thing is going to end up. It could be pitching, it could be position players, it could be nothing."

Holliday and Atkins accounted for 46 home runs and 187 RBIs last season. Still, O'Dowd said that trading either or both should not be interpreted as a concession speech for next season.

"I don't feel that way at all," O'Dowd said. "I think Ian Stewart is ready to be a good player at this level. I think Seth Smith is ready, and who knows what other players (coming back in a trade) might be in the middle of things? There might be someone who was an all-star last year."

+ Great protection behind Ryan
- 1yr lease..Cause theres no way he skips being a FA.

I would give up Myers+Happ in a heartbeat...Just not sure about Carrasco. Dude is a fuckin stud.

firex said:
not surprised to see Brandon Phillips near the top of 2B on bluemax's link (although holy shit at Utley. I knew he was good, but I didn't realize he was that good) and then to see Keppinger and Edwin Encarnacion down near the bottom. Those guys are just terrible, although Edwin's occasionally had his moments where he's looked like an all star. But that's like, 3 games out of 162.

Edwin was MUCH improved this year. I like Edwin.

ToxicAdam

he Yankees have contacted the Brewers about center fielder Mike Cameron, according to the New York Post, and are considering offering a package centered around Melky Cabrera to get him.

The Brewers recently picked up Cameron's $10 million option for 2009, but could save money and reduce their lineup's dependence on right-handed hitters if they dealt him. The Yankees, meanwhile, would pick up a superior defender with far more power than Cabrera -- at a much higher price, of course.

The Yankees could also potentially benefit from Atlanta's hesitancy to deal top prospects for Padres ace Jake Peavy. The New York Daily News reports that despite their status as long shots to land Peavy, the Yankees are still trying to piece together deals for the right-hander, mainly revolving around young pitching (read: Phil Hughes). The Padres are reportedly not interested in second baseman Robinson Cano.

I read this on the internet, it must be true.

LJ11

Zep said:
+ Great protection behind Ryan
- 1yr lease..Cause theres no way he skips being a FA.

I would give up Myers+Happ in a heartbeat...Just not sure about Carrasco. Dude is a fuckin stud.

What about Victorino? Heyman says they're asking for Victorino.

Zep

Banned
Heh, there is no way we give up Vic. He'll still be cheap(even after arb) and his production on the bases and outfield speak for themselves. Not to mention he's huge with the fans. And knowing we couldn't lock up Holliday...It just wouldn't be worth it.

"According to the Arizona Republic, the rumor going around the GM meetings this morning was Jake Peavy to the Braves for Yunel Escobar, Gorkys Hernandez and a young pitcher not named Tommy Hanson."

Windu

ViperVisor said:
"According to the Arizona Republic, the rumor going around the GM meetings this morning was Jake Peavy to the Braves for Yunel Escobar, Gorkys Hernandez and a young pitcher not named Tommy Hanson."
I love escobar but I would pull the trigger, and it will probably be one of Morton/Reyes/Rohrbaugh.

But since we don't get Greene back, who would play SS? I hope it won't be Lillibridge, he can play D but his hitting is meh. Maybe they are thinking about bringing Furcal back.

RBH

Windu said:
I love escobar but I would pull the trigger, and it will probably be one of Morton/Reyes/Rohrbaugh.

But since we don't get Greene back, who would play SS? I hope it won't be Lillibridge, he can play D but his hitting is meh. Maybe they are thinking about bringing Furcal back.
I'd be tempted to do that deal for Peavy as well. It's not often that you get a pitcher like him at this stage of his career with the type of deal that he's signed under.

I'd miss Escobar, but we badly need some reinforcements in the starting rotation (especially with Hudson out until mid-year), and Peavy would be an outstanding #1 pitcher to have.

I'm also interested in seeing what we do about SS.

cashman

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Why, because Max Ram makes him expendable?
yeah and if the BoSox are willing to give Bowden or MAYBE buchholz then we can part with him

It's going to probably take Teagarded, or Salty+ to get Buchholz

ViperVisor said:

Fuck, I read that as "a young pitcher named Tommy Hanson."

I would do that deal.

OMFG, Holliday can be had without giving up a proven pitcher?

GO GET THAT MAN, YANKEES.

OMFG, the Brewers would actually take Melky Cabrera and let the Yankees have Mike Cameron?

captmcblack said:
OMFG, Holliday can be had without giving up a proven pitcher?

OMFG, the Brewers would actually take Melky Cabrera and let the Yankees have Mike Cameron?

Calm down, that probably came from the quality reporting of the New York Post. Plus Francesa thinks it's true so it must be a lie. Also GIT YOUR ASS ON WARHAWK, SON!!!

pollo

Banned
David Wells said he wants to be a coach and will see what openings there are this season. “You don’t get to where I did by being an idiot,” he said. David Cone literally laughed out loud when he heard what Wells said. “He wants to coach?” Cone said. “That’s hilarious.” …

that's hilarious.

Gruco

Banned
ViperVisor said:
Probably as good of a deal as they're going to get.

Does raise some questions though.

Windu

Kevin Towers Expects Resolution Within Week

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Padres general manager Kevin Towers was back home in San Diego on Friday, sifting through the possibilities that will allow him to trade former Cy Young Award winner Jake Peavy to the Cubs, the Atlanta Braves or -- in a long-shot deal -- the Los Angeles Dodgers.

A resolution is expected within the next week.

Those teams are the finalists and, sources say, no other teams will be considered at this point. That throws out the St. Louis Cardinals, Houston Astros and New York Yankees -- unless an unexpected hurdle pops up.

This is more complicated than most off season trades. Peavy has no-trade protection that gives him final approval on the transaction. Once Towers settles on what he thinks is the best deal, he must approach Peavy for a final OK.

Peavy is owed $56 million over the next four years and might ask his new employer to rework his contract or immediately pick up his 2013 option worth $22 million.

So the waiting game played out Friday, the day after the annual general managers meetings ended in Dana Point, Calif.

The Padres would like a major-league-ready starting pitcher, a reliever who could work the late innings and a middle infielder, and are hoping to get a three-for-one or four-for-one deal for Peavy. Towers said he is open to a three- or four-team swap, though that appears unlikely.

Since the day Peavy was being shopped, the Braves seemed to be the best fit. They have better overall young talent to land Peavy and reportedly are inclined to part with shortstop Yunel Escobar, highly regarded pitching prospect Charlie Morton and top outfield prospect Jordan Schafer. The Padres evidently want Class AA right-hander Tommy Hanson, a name the Braves so far haven't been willing to include.

A source in San Diego expected that the Padres would ask the Cubs about top pitching prospect Jeff Samardzija, who has full no-trade protection. If Samardzija's name entered the equation, the answer would be no. The Cubs are said to be pushing a deal built around left-hander Sean Marshall. Right-handed reliever Kevin Hart also could be included in the package, and even lefty-hitting second baseman Mike Fontenot.

Ask manager Lou Piniella, and he will say the Cubs' biggest need is a left-handed bat with pop or a speedy leadoff hitter along the lines of the Baltimore Orioles' Brian Roberts. General manager Jim Hendry's philosophy has always been to build his team from the pitcher's mound out.

That's why, in the Cubs' perfect world, they would love to have Peavy and Ryan Dempster as part of a rotation that has Carlos Zambrano, Ted Lilly and Rich Harden already under control for 2009.

Dempster's deal has turned out to be trickier than imagined. He has expressed a desire to return to Chicago but also has let Hendry know he will test the open market, after the Cubs' window of exclusive negotiating closes Thursday. Dempster's initial asking price was five years and $70 million.

The Cubs are not inclined to top four years for a pitcher who turns 32 in May.

But don't forget Hendry's philosophy.

''In the end,'' Hendry said this week at the GM meetings, ''you want to make sure your pitching is good enough.''
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1267764,CST-SPT-cub08.article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom