• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2009 NBA Playoff Thread of Shaq forces trade to the Cavs, keeps streak alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Penny

Dark FaZe said:
Smile_LeBron_James_79555119.jpg

Free ride to the finals unless Orlando happens to be some horrific match up for them. Back to back years Stern is going to get his wish.

Tom Penny said:
Free ride to the finals unless Orlando happens to be some horrific match up for them. Back to back years Stern is going to get his wish.

How is this any different for the Cavs then it was before. They were either going to play the Celts or the Magic. Would playing the Celts make it not a free ride, but playing the magic will? I don't get it.

If you guys think homecourt is deciding factor then why are you picking Atlanta in 6?

the way I see it it's Atlanta in 7 or Miami in 6. If we start Beasley we're winning that series. But no, we're going to start Haslem so that he can draw a charge, make two 15-foot baseline jumpers, and play "defense"

our rotation would be so much better if we just started Magloire-Beasley in the frontline, and had Haslem and JO off the bench. I never thought I would say I want Magloire starting but that guy is playing with so much fire and he's like Beasley's father on the team. But no we have to play politics here. fuck it already :(

Also, I feel bad for Boston because I never want to see teams not at full health for the playoffs. But I would pay so much money to see ol' Tommy's reaction...or his excuses.

Sanjuro

I'm not too surprised. I've been predicting this since the way they had been handling the injury to the local media. Sigh.

Jamesfrom818 said:
So...anyone else think that Boston is exaggerating KG's injury so he can prance onto the court just like Pierce in the Finals.

No. I think they've been hiding it since the all-star break. I don't know why they thought to bring it up now.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Jamesfrom818 said:
So...anyone else think that Boston is exaggerating KG's injury so he can prance onto the court just like Pierce in the Finals.

PP did it for like 8 mins.. they are shutting him down for games at least..

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Jamesfrom818 said:
If Garnett could play, he would. 12 years on the Wolves and he only missed 25 games.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
L.A. Lakers vs. Utah - 5
Denver vs. New Orleans - 6
San Antonio vs. Dallas - 7
Portland vs. Houston - 6

Cleveland vs. Detroit - 4
Boston vs. Chicago - 6
Orlando vs. Philadelphia - 4
Atlanta vs. Miami - 6

Tom Penny

Jamesfrom818 said:

Nope. Maybe to sell the playoff tickets quicker though.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The Rose Garden was so insane last night. I honestly think that the roof might tear itself in two once tipoff happens on Saturday due to the amount of fan noise.

When I left work at 1:30 last night, there were several dozen people lined up for playoff tickets. We only have 1000 for each of the first two home games. Shit's crazy.

Breaking news: ESPN says that KG could miss the entire POs.

Holy shit. Has this season been tainted or what. Jameer, Hedo, Rashard for Orlando, Manu, Tim for SA, and KG for Boston. I'm afraid all but two contenders are too hobbled to put up a fight.

L.A. Lakers vs. Utah in 4
Denver vs. New Orleans in 7
San Antonio vs. Dallas in 7
Portland vs. Houston in 6

Cleveland vs. Detroit in 5
Boston vs. Chicago in 7
Orlando vs. Philadelphia in 4
Atlanta vs. Miami in 7

L.A. Lakers vs. Utah - 5
San Antonio vs. Dallas - 6
Portland vs. Houston - 7

Cleveland
vs. Detroit - 4
Boston vs. Chicago - 5
Atlanta vs. Miami -7

I might do an actual playoff preview post later, but these are my initial picks. My opinion might change as I evaluate the matchups, but this is what I think for now.

Tom Penny

L.A. Lakers vs. Utah - 5
Denver vs. New Orleans - 7
Portland vs. Houston - 6

Boston vs. Chicago - 6
Orlando vs. Philadelphia - 5
Atlanta vs. Miami -6

h3ro

Jamesfrom818 said:

I do as well. I think them announcing like this is a bit premature and probably was done to throw off other teams in the East...

h3ro said:
I do as well. I think them announcing like this is a bit premature and probably was done to throw off other teams in the East...

No. KG is definitely seriously injured. There is no reason for the Celtics to say this without reason, and there sure isn't a way that they could keep KG from playing if he was healthy. KG has a ton of mileage on him, and his knee has been wearing down. This has been a season-long injury that they have been trying to keep under wraps for a while. I think KG might be back by the 2nd round, but he won't be the force he is regardless. I can't see anyone but the Cavs going to the finals now.

Rodeo Clown

Piecing a few roundabout comments from a variety of sources together, I believe one of the people on Glen Taylor's list of GM candidates is former Indiana Pacers' GM and current D League franchise owner David Kahn. It's my understanding that Taylor has brought Kahn in for interviews two or three times already, indicating he may be a serious candidate.
His resume in Indiana was: traded for Johnathan Bender, drafted Al Harrington, traded for Jermaine O'Neal, drafted Jamaal Tinsley, and traded for Brad Miller.

:/

Rodeo Clown said:
If Garnett could play, he would. 12 years on the Wolves and he only missed 25 games.

I was getting ready for work when I heard it but I'm pretty sure I heard them say he was practicing fine the previous day and then Doc comes out with the bombshell in the morning. What happened between the practice and that interview?

h3ro

The Crimson Blur said:
No. KG is definitely seriously injured. There is no reason for the Celtics to say this without reason, and there sure isn't a way that they could keep KG from playing if he was healthy. KG has a ton of mileage on him, and his knee has been wearing down. This has been a season-long injury that they have been trying to keep under wraps for a while. I think KG might be back by the 2nd round, but he won't be the force he is regardless. I can't see anyone but the Cavs going to the finals now.

I also think he is injured, but knowing Garnett and his work ethic, he'll be busting his rear to get healthy and if the Celtics make it deep, I wouldn't be surprised to see him return at all. I don't understand why the Celtics won't disclose the nature of his injury...

I guess Belichick is rubbing off on Rivers... :p

The Crimson Blur said:
Breaking news: ESPN says that KG could miss the entire POs.

Holy shit. Has this season been tainted or what. Jameer, Hedo, Rashard for Orlando, Manu, Tim for SA, and KG for Boston. I'm afraid all but two contenders are too hobbled to put up a fight.

Beasley not being in the starting lineup counts too doesn't it?

Rodeo Clown

Jamesfrom818 said:
I was getting ready for work when I heard it but I'm pretty sure I heard them say he was practicing fine the previous day and then Doc comes out with the bombshell in the morning. What happened between the practice and that interview?
My guess is they've been playing the media the whole time, convincing them that everything is OK, when he has something more serious than a sprain or whatever they said.

Smokey

WTF at my fellow GAFers thinking it's gonna be a Blazers sweep over Houston :/.

Anyway here are my predictions:

Western Conference:

Lakers in 5 (you know the Jazz are gonna get one at home with the way the refs love them up there)
Nuggets in 6
Houston in 6
Mavericks in 7

Leastern Conference:

Cavs in 4
Celtics in 5
Magic in 4
Hawks in 7

And there you have it.

I've got the Rockets in 6 but I ain't so goddamn sure about that. I wasn't as pissed off yesterday about the loss, but today what tha fuck. I thought about it. These boys had a 12 point lead halfway through the 3rd, and Yao didn't score another fucking basket the rest of the game. If they would've won the damn game they could have possibly had the 2nd seed. Also because Stern loves to fix Spurs games, that Finley bogus 3 in Sacramento came back to bite us. If they lose that game and everything happens last night, we still win the goddamn division.

Fuck.

I (obviously) want the Rockets to win, and my pick for them to win it in 6 isn't a very confident one, but I still have hope. I'm praying that these millionaires will have the basketball sense to (not) stop giving Yao the damn ball when he is beasting in the playoffs, or when anybody for that matter is beasting.

Wizman23

Banned
Tom Penny said:

Boston at 100% against Cleveland wouldn't go past 5 or 6 games. Celtics ship has long been sailed with or without KG.

K.Jack said:
Cleveland in 4 - Nuff said. No KG = cakewalk to the Finals kekeke.
Orlando in 6 - I'm not a believer. Orlando's three-point shooter will have bad games, and Dwight always disappears every one in a while.

wistfm.gif

L.A. Lakers vs. Utah - 5
Portland vs. Houston - 6

Cleveland vs. Detroit - 5
Boston vs. Chicago - 6
Atlanta vs. Miami - 7

Rodeo Clown said:
My guess is they've been playing the media the whole time, convincing them that everything is OK, when he has something more serious than a sprain or whatever they said.

This is what I am thinking too. There is also a chance that they don't know what it is; otherwise they would at least have a timeline for return. Sure, they might have a timeline behind-the-scenes, but I doubt it considering KG came back once already. I think they fear that KG might have something worse than any injury: he might simply be worn down.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Scanning the InterWebs this morning ... just about every major site, columnist, pundit, forum poster and "expert" has the Hawks.
Some say Atlanta in 4 or 5.

Man. Didn't realize the Heat were that big of an underdog in this series, but I have to admit -- Wade needs to bust out the cape for the Heat to hang.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Cerrius said:
Scanning the InterWebs this morning ... just about every major site, columnist, pundit, forum poster and "expert" has the Hawks.

Man. Didn't realize the Heat were that big of an underdog in this series, but I have to admit -- Wade needs to bust out the cape for the Heat to hang.

Heat have one great player and a bunch of average to scrubby players, at best. Hawks are pretty solid all around. It just so happens that the Heat's one great player is one of the top 3 in the world.

woodchuck

Cerrius said:

us against the world!

dude, 5/10 on espn picked the hawks in 7. 3 picked the heat. 2 picked the hawks in 6. get over your persecution complex.

and apparently 64% of the country picked the Heat

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Red Blaster said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah, so then you'll go on record and pick them to beat the Cavs? Ban bet if they both make the ECF?

Red Blaster, I'll remember this name.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Lakers vs. Utah - 5
Portland vs. Houston - 6

I see all 4 home teams advancing to the next round. Even without Manu I feel they'll pull it off, despite how well Dallas has been playing.

Boston vs. Chicago - 4
Orlando vs. Philadelphia - 6
Atlanta vs. Miami -7

Not much to say here. I doubt Chicago will sweep Boston, but I'm throwing my karma that way.

Cerrius said:

flash doesn't wear a cape. hawks in 7.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Ahhh the new people are starting to come into the thread. time for me to bow out until the draft.

reilo

There's nearly a 1000 people in line wanting to buy tickets. Crazy.

I don't think tickets will last beyond person #250.

woodchuck

i know the mavs have been playing better lately, but they need to show that they can win on the road. I think the Mavs will be down 2-0. win both games at home...2-2. Then win in 6.

Rodeo Clown said:
Hawks took the season series 3-1. Marvin Williams is back. They have home court. Hawks in 6.

Nah, they are both poor road teams. If the Hawks win, I think they will win in 7. If the Heat win, it is likely because Wade stole one in Atlanta. Either way, I can't see the Hawks winning in Miami so I doubt it'd go to 6 if the Hawks win the series.

bionic77

Are we doing another pick em this year? That is always fun.

I really want to see the Lakers come out in Kobe mode and just go for the kill throughout the playoffs starting with Utah. I didn't mind them coasting in the regular season, because it means jack in the playoffs, but I want to see them threaten to sweep the Jazz and if they lose a game I want it to be a close game that the Jazz pull out of their where Williams has to become Magic Johnson in the fourth quarter.

reilo

commish said:
Ahhh the new people are starting to come into the thread. time for me to bow out until the draft.
What's the point of watching a Suns draft? They'll sell the pick to Portland anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom