• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLS Thread of First Kick Tuesday, March 15, 9:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Pretty sure he is joking, at least I hope so. Given Beckham's back issues and how he looked after that collision it was pretty impressive of him to make such a key contribution minutes later.

xbhaskarx said:
Pkm I don't know what they were thinking with those long balls when the Dynamo have about 6 inches and 75 pounds on every Union player. Houston is the last team you want to try that against.
Bizarre lineup choices too over the last couple games...

Every single game this season has been the same thing with Nowak. Its a constant issue fans discuss in the stands and on social media sites.
You can only be sure of one thing on game day....Mondragon will be in goal, Califf and Valdes and CB, Williams at RB, and it seems as if Farfan is the new LB...
After that all you know is Le Toux will be in...some postion...

The MF/F is ALWAYS a gameday mystery, as well as the "Le Toux at MF or F" game.

And the long ball...all season long its been this way. Many times its "pass back to the defenders, defender blast a long ball" We spent most of the season going the wrong direction and just blsting the ball and saying a prayer.

I love Nowaks ability to find players and what not but I am just not a fan at all of his coaching.

xbhaskarx

Judderman that's cool... so they don't mind that he's often shit, has a bad attitude, is overpaid, and the reason the team traded away DeRo?

Heretic

xbhaskarx said:
Pretty sure he is joking, at least I hope so. Given Beckham's back issues and how he looked after that collision it was pretty impressive of him to make such a key contribution minutes later.
Doubt he is nevertheless he hustles on every challenge. After all is said and done. I think Galaxy got their money's worth with him.

xbhaskarx

Heretic said:
Doubt he is nevertheless he hustles on every challenge. After all is said and done. I think Galaxy got their money's worth with him.
I think for the Galaxy it depends on whether they win MLS Cup this year or not, but the league got their money's worth with him.

Hoping to see a LA vs. SKC finals. I'm a Philly fan so NY can suck it :), Houston has become a mortal enemy, and Salt Lake sucks because, well, its Utah.

I honestly think Beckham is a wimp for seldom being on the field during his tenure and racking up yellow cards when a match on turf approaches. He sold his 6ook plus jerseys and was a major catalyst for MLS growth, but as a player here not so much. I would love him though if he left MLS after the season and exercised his franchise option immediately. He wanted Montreal but was beaten to it, no idea where he would fullfil it now.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
xbhaskarx said:
Judderman that's cool... so they don't mind that he's often shit, has a bad attitude, is overpaid, and the reason the team traded away DeRo?

They mind, but what are you going to do?

Heretic

xbhaskarx said:
I think for the Galaxy it depends on whether they win MLS Cup this year or not, but the league got their money's worth with him.
I think the title would solidify it. Definitely a huge push for MLS which is great. I hope he stays a while longer.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Rafa=FedKilla said:
I gotta watch the replay again, thought it was a love tap.

There was some contact. Not sure how much there was but the kick was highly unnecessary from Miller. He likes making mistakes during the playoffs.

Nesotenso

NihonTiger90 said:

Man, any Seattle fans care to shed light on the fact how their attendance numbers are so good ? Did the departure of the Sonics shift the fan base to another sport? I wish the rest of the league could replicate their numbers and I hope Seattle are rewarded for their enthusiasm with a title soon (not before SKC though).

The opening of Livestrong contributed to the rise in average attendance.

EDIT : Portland deserves credit for the rise as well.

Nesotenso said:
Whichever market provides the most growth opportunity. Which USL teams have a loyal fan base?
Orlando City had the highest attendance in D3/USL this year. NASL attendance wasn't that good this year. They had 11k for the final.

Nesotenso said:
Man, any Seattle fans care to shed light on the fact how their attendance numbers are so good ? Did the departure of the Sonics shift the fan base to another sport?

Soccer is just really popular here. Lot of people watch it, a lot of people play. The Sounders would get the attendance they do even if the Sonics were still here.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Is there any credence to the Hamid to West Brom rumors?

He's training then and of course West Brom are evaluating him to see if they'd like to buy him or loan in the future. I don't know if it'll happen but I think one more MLS season would be good for his development. I don't want him to turn into the new version of Brad Guzan.

xbhaskarx said:
Azuran you should go post in the threads for every American sports league that the playoffs are a joke for that reason. How are the MLS playoffs any different from the others??

Well, I'm not Azuran, but I think the MLS playoffs are considerably worse than pretty much any other American sports' system.

NBA, MLB, and NHL all have marathon best-of-7 series. This ensures that someone can't just get hot for 4 games like they can in the MLS playoffs and hoist the cup. In addition, it provides for at least a moderate amount of home field advantage for those who did better in the regular season. MLS, by contrast, either has an aggregate home-and-away system that doesn't reward regular season performance, or a one-off knockout round where one bad performance can offset a season's worth of work. Between the lack o games played and the lack of reward for regular season success, there's far too much luck involved to say that it crowns a good champion.

NFL works because football is a weird sport that has considerably less individual match variation. A good team in football will beat worse team on any given Sunday at a much higher clip than in any o the other sports.. plus the byes are huge in their format.
Nesotenso said:
Man, any Seattle fans care to shed light on the fact how their attendance numbers are so good ? Did the departure of the Sonics shift the fan base to another sport? I wish the rest of the league could replicate their numbers and I hope Seattle are rewarded for their enthusiasm with a title soon (not before SKC though).

The opening of Livestrong contributed to the rise in average attendance.

EDIT : Portland deserves credit for the rise as well.

I think it's all of the above, plus the fact that Seattle seems to finally have a winner. The Seahawks and Mariners have in the main been pretty bad, but the Sounders have been a success since they entered the league. They haven't hoisted major silverware yet, but they made the playoffs and won the US Open Cup in their first and every subsequent season. They've finished 4th, 6th, and 2nd in the league as an expansion team in a league with 15-18 teams over that timeframe.

SKC and RSL I hope.

And Oozer it's funny you mention what Cleveland might have been because the other previaling rumor around that time was that OKC was in line to get a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom