• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLS Thread of First Kick Tuesday, March 15, 9:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydefrog

damn, keane made that look simple!!

so glad he's no longer with spurs though. i couldn't stand the guy (for the last few seasons he was with the team)

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Clydefrog said:
damn, keane made that look simple!!

so glad he's no longer with spurs though. i couldn't stand the guy :lol

I still think he missed a few open netters for West Ham on purpose. I blame him for their relegation.

Jeff-DSA

Nesotenso said:
Hope Galaxy win the cup now. They seem to be by far the best team in the league.

Yeah, they've bought a nice team. Though the Red Bulls have shown that you can't just buy a championship.

Average Player Salary, in order of most to least is below. Winner of this will be playing Houston.

New York Red Bulls $446,570
Los Angeles Galaxy 428,265
Chicago Fire 154,669
Toronto FC 142,081
Real Salt Lake 135,306
Philadelphia Union 131,876
Vancouver Whitecaps 123,133
Seattle Sounders 119,504
Houston Dynamo 118,484
New England Revolution 118,367
Sporting Kansas City 115,206
D.C. United 114,639
FC Dallas 113,627
Columbus Crew 111,996
Colorado Rapids 105,769
San Jose Earthquakes 100,399
Chivas USA 99,673
Portland Timbers 94,734

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Jeff-DSA said:
I'm complimenting the Galaxy, how is this making me bitter? I'm saying that they've done a good job putting together good players and meshing as a team.

My mistake. You've made two posts that make it sound like you're mad LA has spent a ton of money on their marquee players and had success because of it.

Jeff-DSA

sazabirules said:
My mistake. You've made two posts that make it sound like you're mad LA has spent a ton of money on their marquee players and had success because of it.

I'm just happy that there's at least a couple of teams in the league capable of paying players. We need more money in this league badly.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Jeff-DSA said:
I'm just happy that there's at least a couple of teams in the league capable of paying players. We need more money in this league badly.

I want my team to actually get management/owner/investors that will buy my team a stadium and save us from getting relocated.

The huge payroll obviously helps, but LAG also gets a ton out of their roleplayers. The team woudln't be anything without their Saunders, Juninhos, Magees, and Gonzaleses. Bruce Arena's the best manager to ever coach in MLS, and it shows.

sazabirules said:

I'm a bit mad Seattle hasn't spent more money, but maybe they finally will for a new goalie, a striker, and a defender or two.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Amibguous Cad said:
The huge payroll obviously helps, but LAG also gets a ton out of their roleplayers. The team woudln't be anything without their Saunders, Juninhos, Magees, and Gonzaleses. Bruce Arena's the best manager to ever coach in MLS, and it shows.

Juninho is quite the find. I'm assuming LA will try to get him permanently.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
sazabirules said:
I want my team to actually get management/owner/investors that will buy my team a stadium and save us from getting relocated.

You will go to Baltimore and you will like it!

Jeff-DSA

Kreis still has to win coach of the year, right? He gets so much mileage from this team, it's crazy. Little to no lineup consistency and RSL spent most of the season without their best player.

Jeff-DSA said:
Kreis still has to win coach of the year, right? He gets so much mileage from this team, it's crazy. Little to no lineup consistency and RSL spent most of the season without their best player.

Sigi accomplished more facing similar hardships. Did a masterful job juggling the lineup throughout all the competitions we were in, too.

Jeff-DSA

Amibguous Cad said:
Sigi accomplished more facing similar hardships. Did a masterful job juggling the lineup throughout all the competitions we were in, too.

RSL was playing extra matches with CL, a cheap shot derailed their offense by taking Morales out for most the season, and they had the highest number of starting lineups in the league. They were without Borchers tonight too, which is a huge blow to that defense.

Sorry if this is a double post, but brahs I want to thank everyone in this thread for being pleasant, passionate and insightful rather then filled with trolls like most other sports GAF communities.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Nesotenso said:
How do you select teams for Champions League ? Top 3 table finishers ?

2011 MLS Supporters' Shield champion
2011 MLS Cup champion or runner-up 3rd 2011–12 QF (in progress)
2011 MLS Cup champion or runner-up 3rd 2009–10 QF
2011 U.S. Open Cup champion 3rd 2011–12 QF (in progress)
Best record is next after that.

Jeff-DSA

But man, what a treat for the Galaxy fans to get the final in their home stadium. I can't imagine how pumped up their supporters must be.

Jeff-DSA said:
RSL was playing extra matches with CL, a cheap shot derailed their offense by taking Morales out for most the season, and they had the highest number of starting lineups in the league. They were without Borchers tonight too, which is a huge blow to that defense.

And Seattle played more CL matches than RSL this year playing in the group stages of CCL and had their offense derailed by a cheap shot when Zakuani went down for the season. We were without 4 of our best 5 midfielders by the 20th minute of the return leg against RSL and almost still pulled off one of the best comebacks in MLS history. And we finished 10 points ahead of you in the regular season standings, advanced in CCL, and won the Open Cup.

Jeff-DSA

Amibguous Cad said:
And Seattle played more CL matches because they went into the group stage, and a cheap shot derailed our offense when Zakuani went down for the season. We were without 4 of our best5 midfielders and almost still pulled off one of the best comebacks in MLS history. And we finished 10 points ahead of you in the regular season standings, advanced in CCL, and won the Open Cup.

And lost in the conference semis. Just sayin'...

Sorry, Sounders and Rapids fans are the only groups that RSL fans actively like to give grief to.

Jeff-DSA said:
And lost in the conference semis. Just sayin'...

Sorry, Sounders and Rapids fans are the only groups that RSL fans actively like to give grief to.

10111059-large.jpg

I'll take silverware over one playoff win, thanks.

(Yeah, I'm aware you guys have an MLS Cup. We're working on it).

Azuran

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
Yeah, they've bought a nice team. Though the Red Bulls have shown that you can't just buy a championship.

Average Player Salary, in order of most to least is below. Winner of this will be playing Houston.

New York Red Bulls $446,570
Los Angeles Galaxy 428,265
Chicago Fire 154,669
Toronto FC 142,081
Real Salt Lake 135,306
Philadelphia Union 131,876
Vancouver Whitecaps 123,133
Seattle Sounders 119,504
Houston Dynamo 118,484
New England Revolution 118,367
Sporting Kansas City 115,206
D.C. United 114,639
FC Dallas 113,627
Columbus Crew 111,996
Colorado Rapids 105,769
San Jose Earthquakes 100,399
Chivas USA 99,673
Portland Timbers 94,734

I find it hilarious that three of the teams in the top 5 kinda suck.

bluemax

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
But man, what a treat for the Galaxy fans to get the final in their home stadium. I can't imagine how pumped up their supporters must be.

I wonder how much tickets are. I know playoff tickets started at like $30 a pop.

$92 a pop for spots on the grass is the cheapest on Stub Hub. Eff that.

So LA Galaxy will be playing Toronto FC in the CONCACAF Champions League Quarter Finals in March.
I'm extremely happy that TFC made it this far but beating LA would be a very tall order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom