• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official All-Pro Football 2k8 Neo-GAF Online League Thread: Rats off to ya!

newsguy

Well, with all the praise I've given the game, I have officially found the bad. I thought it was me, I thought it was something I just needed to get used to, but user-controlled defense in this game is crippled. I use Butkus and he might as well be a generic. Once in a blue moon I may be in position to make a play, but the momentum and auto strafe (it has to be on in online games) is enough to make me want to melt this disc and make plastic balls out of it's remains. I'm one of those players who has to have complete control over a player. That means if the ball is in the air, I'm switching to that DB and making a play. This game discourages user-controlled defense. Although not as bad as 2K5, the animations while the ball is airborne still take you completely out of a play if you happen to miss. I've done everything to try and correct it, but the bottom line is that there's no easy way to control a defensive player and make a play consistently.

Of course offense feels great, but I'm one of the few who get his kicks by shutting people down on defense, and from the looks of it, that's not happening in APF.

news we've been tinkering with the sliders, and if you increase human pursuit and tackling it improves things a bit. im getting used to user controlled defense but i dont think its even in the same league as ncaa/madden, but thats just my opinion on it. still a great game!

Zep

Banned
Yea News...give Human Coverage and Human Pursuit a shot in the sliders menu. Turn both up to 85 and give it a shot as far as sticking TE's or WR's. Also, make sure the game speed is on fast. I've noticed a very big difference.

newsguy

FrenchMovieTheme said:
news we've been tinkering with the sliders, and if you increase human pursuit and tackling it improves things a bit. im getting used to user controlled defense but i dont think its even in the same league as ncaa/madden, but thats just my opinion on it. still a great game!

Unfortunately online there are no slider options for ranked or leagues. The funny thing is, it's the LACK of animations for picks and swats in the Tiburon games that makes them control more tightly on defense. Not a problem because I am getting Madden as well, and I still think APF is an awesome game, it's just frustrating to play D.

Zep

Banned
Yes there are for leagues...who told you that?

But go look at the difference...do wat i put and go into practice mode with Gold CB's or watever and run a bear defense so its 1on1. Remember to turn off auto-strafe. Also I agree with your concern on ranked games, thats BS.

newsguy

Big Zep said:
Yes there are for leagues...who told you that?

But go look at the difference...do wat i put and go into practice mode with Gold CB's or watever and run a bear defense so its 1on1. Remember to turn off auto-strafe. Also I agree with your concern on ranked games, thats BS.

Wait, so auto strafe can be turned off for leagues as well? I heard you couldn't adjust any of these options in the leagues.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
newsguy said:
Wait, so auto strafe can be turned off for leagues as well? I heard you couldn't adjust any of these options in the leagues.
Who are you hearing this from? The leagues aren't up yet so what are your sources.

newsguy

vumpler said:
Who are you hearing this from? The leagues aren't up yet so what are your sources.

The guy running my league. The websites aren't up, but he started a league thru XBL to play with the settings.

newsguy

Big Zep said:
FMT said he ran a bootleg league and the sliders showed up...Im about to look for myself

I just called him. Apparantly sliders are in but turning auto strafe off isn't. It's a start though.

Zep

Banned
newsguy said:
I just called him. Apparantly sliders are in but turning auto strafe off isn't. It's a start though.

Wow...if thats the case, theres no point for the sliders being fixed.

Shawnwhann said:
Uh, no the Y button always had a dual role of knock down the ball OR intercept the pass. Only in 2K5 did they introduce intercepting the ball with the left or right trigger buttons. It's utterly retarded to have RB mapped to the "intercept pass" action.

dual role, but still it was always mapped to Y was my point.

either way, i dont see how having intercept mapped to RB can be that bad but hey, whatever brother.

Ramirez said:
the momentum alone is enough for me to knock it out of competition for such a title. Why does it seem like the Off/Def momentum systems are completely different? I have no trouble moving on offense, but on D, it feels totally random. :(

QFT.

My #1 beef with APF2K8. Running ball is just flawless. With Barry Sanders, the controls are so responsive you dont even need to use the Jukes. Defense is where it falls apart for me. It takes far too long to change directions. I've been in practice mode the last 2 days trying to figure out if it was me that sucked or the games controls. I feel as if I'm fighting with the controls too much.

Anyone got any tips for playing D?

EDIT: I've turned off Auto-Strafing.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
4yr954y.jpg

61tz814.jpg

5zbgb2p.jpg

I'm having entirely too much fun with the editor. Next up - an accurate recreation of every single Canadian Football League team starting with the BC Lions. Oh yeah!

BTW, I'm not the most qualified person in the world when it comes to judging football games, but I do know what I like - and I'm having much more fun with this than I did with last year's Madden. The animations are varied (although I did see a few recyclables from the old NFL 2K5), the commentary is exponentially better than EA's game, and the offensive game is more responsive. I only wish I could establish a better presence on the defensive end, it seems like the only time a play gets made by my defense, it's when a CPU player is involved, never me. :|

The graphics could use a shinier coat, but that's not a deal breaker for me. All in all, a pretty solid effort.

newsguy

FrenchMovieTheme said:
guys all you have to do is turn strafing off in your online preferences and it will be off for unranked games. it's not that hard dudes

Well you did a mock league right? Can you turn it off for the league?

Kingpen

bishoptl said:
4yr954y.jpg

61tz814.jpg

5zbgb2p.jpg

I'm having entirely too much fun with the editor. Next up - an accurate recreation of every single Canadian Football League team starting with the BC Lions. Oh yeah!

BTW, I'm not the most qualified person in the world when it comes to judging football games, but I do know what I like - and I'm having much more fun with this than I did with last year's Madden. The animations are varied (although I did see a few recyclables from the old NFL 2K5), the commentary is exponentially better than EA's game, and the offensive game is more responsive. I only wish I could establish a better presence on the defensive end, it seems like the only time a play gets made by my defense, it's when a CPU player is involved, never me. :|

The graphics could use a shinier coat, but that's not a deal breaker for me. All in all, a pretty solid effort.

The Atmosphere is top notch as well... way better then EA's efforts (most important thing for me). I agree that I am having a lot more fun then past football games as well...

Hunter D said:
If anyone is playing tonight my Gt is Charsace

I should have played against you but I started a season and couldn't stop.
I am really enjoying this game. I'm not be big sports fan but I've started to get into sports gaming. It started with NHL hockey games. I tried NBA, but that didn't work for me. (And there is no way I'd try MLB . . . maybe The Bigs.) But APF 2K8 has really got my attention. It is nice to have a new genre of games besides 1stPS/3rdPS games.

If there were some ****ing next-gen platform games I'd play them, but they don't exist!

Kingpen

I watched a crazy play by the cpu last night in the 2nd quarter. I'm running a dime package on defense, switch it with an audible to a 4-3 that had 2 guys running a blitz. Elway on the CPU side notices that change, and calls his own audible.

He hands the ball off to Ricky Watters with an outside left toss, which is the exact opposite place my 2 blitzers are (and were going). End result is a 70 yard touchdown for them...

My jaw dropped when I saw this...

I don't know if audibles are more likely to be called by certain CPU quarterbacks or not, but man, if I didn't get plastered by Elway that whole game...

maynerd

Banned
Kingpen said:
I watched a crazy play by the cpu last night in the 2nd quarter. I'm running a dime package on defense, switch it with an audible to a 4-3 that had 2 guys running a blitz. Elway on the CPU side notices that change, and calls his own audible.

He hands the ball off to Ricky Watters with an outside left toss, which is the exact opposite place my 2 blitzers are (and were going). End result is a 70 yard touchdown for them...

My jaw dropped when I saw this...

I don't know if audibles are more likely to be called by certain CPU quarterbacks or not, but man, if I didn't get plastered by Elway that whole game...

What was the difficulty level you were playing on?

Kingpen said:

The certainly does adjust to audibles. I often like to call an audible flip to run to the opposite side if they have a lot of star players where I am going to run to and they often counter my audible call.

I had a cool play last night wherein I had a generic punter and I blew the joystick movement such that the punt was really short . . . I immediately dreaded the scoring opportunity I was giving my opponent. However, the punt was so short that the punt returner was way far away and had to run like crazy to get near the short punt. The ball bounced before he got there and it bounced low right at him, bounced off him, and then one of my guys dived on the ball giving me possession back. A miracle! :D

The play was completely done well by the game except for the fact that the announcers don't seem to have any lines to say in such crazy rare plays. It was an amazing rare moment but I wasn't immediately certain what happened since the announcers were emotionless and said nothing. At first I thought my possession was bug until I watched the replay and saw exactly what happened.

I had another game wherein I missed 2 field goals and an extra point with a generic kicker . . . having a non generic kicker can be important.

Kingpen

Yeah... I really like the whole strategy behind only having a set amount of star players on your squad.

I drafted a team without a star kicker in it, and I really am regretting it on field goals. I'm 5 weeks into my season and already want to try again with another team with different attributes... That is all the replay value that I need in this game... (I do hope that they release a code or something where you can increase the amount of star players you can draft though, just for fun)

AkaBalla

Has anyone have this happen to them?

4th Down in your own territory at lets say at your 4 yard line. You select punt UNLESS YOUR PLAYING MADDEN YOU WOULD GO FOR IT! Thats besides the point.

The punter is in the endzone waiting to be squeezed by the defense by this punt attempt. You position your arrow to punt the ball downfield. You have a generic punter and longsnapper. You say hike and the long snapper hikes the ball and the ball goes into the endzone stands for the SAFETY!. Holy Cow was that some amazing play calling...

That play made my eyes widen and say wow only 2k would have this game nailed to the T.

:lol

maynerd

Banned
AkaBalla said:
Has anyone have this happen to them?

4th Down in your own territory at lets say at your 4 yard line. You select punt UNLESS YOUR PLAYING MADDEN YOU WOULD GO FOR IT! Thats besides the point.

The punter is in the endzone waiting to be squeezed by the defense by this punt attempt. You position your arrow to punt the ball downfield. You have a generic punter and longsnapper. You say hike and the long snapper hikes the ball and the ball goes into the endzone stands for the SAFETY!. Holy Cow was that some amazing play calling...

That play made my eyes widen and say wow only 2k would have this game nailed to the T.

While I think this sounds interesting it would be bad if this happened each and every time you are close to the endzone.

AkaBalla

I'm sure it had to so something with momentum.. I actually had about 5 delay of penalties before i punted the ball due to having a important phone call.. Which in turn made my punter sweat every time the play clock went down to force him to be pinned in the endzone..LMAO

Since these features are not mentioned in the manual. Here's a few tidbits for the Right Stick Juke(RSJ) junkies, and how to use "on the fly" audibles.

ON The Fly Audibles:

Hold down the Left Trigger and select a face button(At the playcall screen) I.e. L2 thn X you should here a swish sound, release the LS + X and now press the face button corresonding to the play you like to audible to. You must enter each audible the same way and you get up to 3 per play.

RSJ Moves:

Stutter: = up

Jab = up then Left(Lt) or Right (Rt)

Jab Spin = up then Roll Lt or Rt

Stop = down

Stop & Go = down then up

stop & spin = down then roll Lt or RT

Stop Jab = down then Lt or Rt

Double Juke = Lt or Rt (vice versa)

Juke & Spin Same Side = Rt. then roll down then roll Rt.

Juke & Spin Side to side = Rt. or Lt. then roll to other side

Jab Stop = Rt or Lt. then down

Jab Juke = Rt then Rt or Lt then Lt

Just in case you forgot, you know you doing them right, check out the You tube vid of RSJ in 2K5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTAFhphmTss

maynerd

Banned
gluv65 said:
Since these features are not mentioned in the manual. Here's a few tidbits for the Right Stick Juke(RSJ) junkies, and how to use "on the fly" audibles.

ON The Fly Audibles:

Hold down the Left Trigger and select a face button(At the playcall screen) I.e. L2 thn X you should here a swish sound, release the LS + X and now press the face button corresonding to the play you like to audible to. You must enter each audible the same way and you get up to 3 per play.

RSJ Moves:

Stutter: = up

Jab = up then Left(Lt) or Right (Rt)

Jab Spin = up then Roll Lt or Rt

Stop = down

Stop & Go = down then up

stop & spin = down then roll Lt or RT

Stop Jab = down then Lt or Rt

Double Juke = Lt or Rt (vice versa)

Juke & Spin Same Side = Rt. then roll down then roll Rt.

Juke & Spin Side to side = Rt. or Lt. then roll to other side

Jab Stop = Rt or Lt. then down

Jab Juke = Rt then Rt or Lt then Lt

Just in case you forgot, you know you doing them right, check out the You tube vid of RSJ in 2K5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTAFhphmTss

Good info thanks!

gluv65 said:

That pisses me off. Why isn't that stuff in the manual? What is with these games wherein half the controls are a total mystery that you need to figure out for yourself. Could you imagine in Microsoft did that? Hey, did you know there is a mail-merge feature in MS-Word? It's not in the manual but if you hit shift-control-whatever . . .

Speaking of right-stick mysteries. Abu Jube showed me how the right stick can be used by the QB to pull special moves to duck sack attempts.

BTW, that hiking into the stands . . . is that a bug or was that correct? Was it just an errant snap or is every punt snap from the goal line into the stands?

AkaBalla

speculawyer said:
BTW, that hiking into the stands . . . is that a bug or was that correct? Was it just an errant snap or is every punt snap from the goal line into the stands?

I think it was just an errant snap.. I wouldnt think this would happen everytime..

LiveWire

AkaBalla said:
I think it was just an errant snap.. I wouldnt think this would happen everytime..

It doesn't, I've taken several snaps on endzone punts and none have had that happen. Nice to hear that it can though, more realistic than Madden. I've also blocked two punts and one field goal in my games.

EB Guy

Burger King viral marketer
vumpler said:
Hey FMT, i don't know if this is stated in the manual or not. But I was missing kicks at first too and it said perfect and centered. But then I started slamming the stick up harder during the kick instead of just regular speed and I believe it rates it that way as well. I hit a 38 yard kick with a regular kicker yesterday and many 30-35's so far.
I think it does measure how fast you do it. I just made a 51 yard FG, I slammed the stick up pretty fast and hard. heh, suprised I didn't break it off.

LiveWire said:
It doesn't, I've taken several snaps on endzone punts and none have had that happen. Nice to hear that it can though, more realistic than Madden. I've also blocked two punts and one field goal in my games.

I've blocked an extra point . . . but only by using a glitch in the game. :D If anyone uses that in league play to win, they get banned, IMHO.

ggnoobIGN said:
I can't even find a random oppinent on PS3.

Sorry to hear that. :-( There are always lots of people ready to play on the 360.

Of course playing a random opponent means you may get a cheeser. I was down 14 to zero and the guy I was playing went for it on 4th down when he was in field goal range. That was pretty unsportsman like. :-/

LiveWire

gg CB. Shouldn't have been that close. That first kickoff was a mistake. But nice FG at the end! That would have been good from 55. I still can't hit them so I have a feeling I may lose a lot of games by 3 pts if I can't shore up my defense more against outside runs or TE routes.

Funny that Riggins actually showed up! 22 carries 119 yds and he actually broke some tackles! :O Maybe it's an offline glitch? Oh and Ronnie saved your ass on that one ridiculous dive. :lol

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
LiveWire said:
gg CB. Shouldn't have been that close. That first kickoff was a mistake. But nice FG at the end! That would have been good from 55. I still can't hit them so I have a feeling I may lose a lot of games by 3 pts if I can't shore up my defense more against outside runs or TE routes.

Funny that Riggins actually showed up! 22 carries 119 yds and he actually broke some tackles! :O Maybe it's an offline glitch? Oh and Ronnie saved your ass on that one ridiculous dive. :lol

Ronnie Lott! he aint gold for nothing

BojTrek

Banned
I stink... I just played another online game... and got whooped!

I threw 3 interceptions... but my created BojTrek scored 3 times... NICE!

I really need to play more... but I have no time... the graphics are growing on me... not so bad...

Imagine if they used the Bigs faces somehow???

Hunter D

Man just started getting the hang of this game. I wish people didn't quit as much. Any time I am up by 2 tds and it is in the 4th people quit. I think the Otto and Stabbler is too much for them.

AkaBalla

EB Guy said:
I think it does measure how fast you do it. I just made a 51 yard FG, I slammed the stick up pretty fast and hard. heh, suprised I didn't break it off.

2k must have a contract with Xbox 360 accessories... I think with this kicking scheme, controllers will sell more.. I have a feeling some will break there controllers pushing the stick up so fast.. It snaps everytime.. Heck i even got a blister from kicking in practice mode.. LMAO :lol

Maverick

Man, this game is really fun. It kind of reminds me of why I like Winning Eleven so much - despite all the flaws that continue to show up every year, there's a "randomness" element that makes the game unpredictable and engrossing.

I keep seeing new things all the time, even after hours of play. It's just really refreshing. I've played so much Madden over the years that sometimes it seems like I'm on auto-pilot. (Not Madden's fault- but it's been like 10 years of Madden now for me.)

Warning -- Long story ahead.
Last night I was down by 1. I turned the ball over with a minute left. All hope seemed lost. However, instead of running a draw to eat up time, Montana makes a questionable decision to kneel the ball 3 times, leaving me with exactly 1 second left after they're forced to punt the ball away.

Trapped deep inside my own territory with only one play left, I'm forced to turn to only one thing - trickeration.

I run the flea flicker. Now, I don't bank on this pulling the safeties in - they know better. They're sitting way back in a prevent. But the fake is enough to cause confusion. The linebackers do a kind of hesitation move (this was incredible on the replay...when I handed the ball off they took a few steps forward and then a confused backpedal.

Muncie tosses the ball back to Starr, who stats rolling left (this is the beautiful part.) Starr pump-fakes the corner route to Tasker. The corner is playing so deep that he doesn't bite, BUT on the other side of the field a scrub WR is running an inside post.

Tasker breaks off the corner route into an inside post. Starr rolls back to his right and the safties get crossed up by Tasker and the scrub WR crossing. Starr takes a few steps forward and heaves it long, over the strumbling safeties and into Tasker's hands. 80+ yards. Touchdown. Pittsburgh Iron Men win.

This was all animated so beautifully that I couldn't believe it. Sure, you could argue that it's an example of poor DB A.I., but I really don't think so. It was a play that relied on everything working at exactly the right time, and the thing that made it work was that the Safeties didn't merely bump into one another like they didn't know eachother were there --They actually sensed the footsteps of eachother and did this fantastic "oh shit" stutter animation that gave Tasker enough of a step on them to get behind the coverage.

These are the kind of unique moments that I love to see in sports games.

Top Bottom