• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official All-Pro Football 2k8 Neo-GAF Online League Thread: Rats off to ya!

KarishBHR

Im not in the league, mainly because I was not sure how much i would like this game... but it turns out I love it.

So, if anyone wants to play with me today or anytime, my gametag is On the Rochks

bluemax

Banned
I played 3 games of season mode last night. Dave Krieg is a pretty lousy QB :(

I think I'm finally figuring out how to run with Marcus Allen, but I might need to rethink my team strategy. Maybe too many players on defense. Also non star players are pretty good in this game, I gotta stop neglecting my normal receivers.

Ramirez

Played 3 online games last night, all 3 opponents ran hurry up over and over and over, pounding me with their RBs. Is there no ****ing fatigue or something? People run their RBs 20 times straight on me and they never slow down, stop breaking tackles, or fumble. Throw in the random manual defense and you have one frustrating experience.

maynerd

Banned
Ramirez said:
Played 3 online games last night, all 3 opponents ran hurry up over and over and over, pounding me with their RBs. Is there no ****ing fatigue or something? People run their RBs 20 times straight on me and they never slow down, stop breaking tackles, or fumble. Throw in the random manual defense and you have one frustrating experience.

That sucks I've not played online but playing against my friend on a single 360 does have fatigue. Sorry to hear you had a crappy experience.

Hunter D

maynerd said:
That sucks I've not played online but playing against my friend on a single 360 does have fatigue. Sorry to hear you had a crappy experience.
There is fatigue online. If backs are gaining 8 yards per carry off of you they won't get that tired.

LiveWire

BirdBomb said:
maybe their backs had a stamina bonus, or a workhorse bonus.

Stamina bonus. Workhorse just means they will hit the hole a bit quicker or break more tackles slightly over time. Stamina (Earl Campbell) means they can stay in for an entire 80-yard drive of 4 and 5 yard carries. With Riggins (Workhorse, Power, Branching Tackles) I can only go a couple first downs before he gets pulled and 2nd string RB comes in.

RichP

Banned
bluemax said:
I played 3 games of season mode last night. Dave Krieg is a pretty lousy QB :(

Steve Grogan is decent in the game, and a bronze to boot. I have a gold star TE (Ditka) and a couple silver WRs (Herman Moore and...?) though which helps.

Ramirez

Well, it's not even that I suck at the game, I've beat 2 out of 2 guys in the league I've played (suck it down FMT/DM!), it's just that when I play random cheeseheads I feel like I've never played the game before, because I can't stop anything they do. And it usually is the same play or hurry up =\

Nightz

I don't know how many of you are trying to get the achievements for the 360 version since it looks like most of you are playing online, but I have a question that hopefully one of you can answer. For the achievements where you have to set a game record, does that refer to an individual or the team as a whole? For example, for the "Game Record for Defensive Sacks" achievement, does one person have to get the record, or does it mean the total sacks by the team?

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Had a weird bug yesterday. I got a touchdown while the safety perpetrated some Unnecessary Roughness on one Mr. Jerry Rice. Scoreboard is increased by 6. I accept the penalty and kick the XP, but after all that somehow the touchdown and XP are erased :lol

Also there were two entries for the TD play in the Stats Central thing. Weird.

Nightz said:
For the achievements where you have to set a game record, does that refer to an individual or the team as a whole? For example, for the "Game Record for Defensive Sacks" achievement, does one person have to get the record, or does it mean the total sacks by the team?

Yeah, there are a bunch of achievements that require a 'record' amount of something or another . . . uh a record relative what? My own records? . . . no, it can't be that since I'd get the achievements immediately then since I'd set my own initial record. Relative to all APF players online? . . . that would be just a handful of people would ever get the achievement.

I don't understand those 'record' achievements at all. :-/

Nightz said:
I don't know how many of you are trying to get the achievements for the 360 version since it looks like most of you are playing online, but I have a question that hopefully one of you can answer. For the achievements where you have to set a game record, does that refer to an individual or the team as a whole? For example, for the "Game Record for Defensive Sacks" achievement, does one person have to get the record, or does it mean the total sacks by the team?

I found this nice achievement guide that someone else wrote in the xbox forums:
Thought i'd write an Achievement Guide for Fun. Hope this is some help to everyone. Iif it is send me a message and let me know. ven if it didnt let me know how my guide was or if you have any opinions or thoughts!

Create a Team (5) - Simple, Go to the Main Menu and Click Teams and Create new Team

Catch 10 Passes with a Bronze WR (10) - Pick a Gold QB (Elway or Marino) and a Bronze WR like Alvin Harper.

Create a Player (5) - Main menu and click Create a Player

Edit any part of your Team (5) - After Creating your team just simply go to Manage Team and Edit any part of your team's Uniform

Return a Fumble for a TD (15) - Simply Return a Fumble for a TD. If you are having problem's with this just simply turn Penalties off and line up a defender in front of the Punter on 4th down and rush him and block it and return for a TD. This is best done when they punt in the Endzone.

Game Record Forced Fumbles in a Game (15) - Record is 4 and you need 5. This is best done by turning Penalties off in a 15 minute per quarter match and lining up directly in front of the Punter and blocking it (This counts as a Forced Fumble). Another option is to Create your Team with some Gold LB's with the Big Hit Icon (Derrick Thomas and Mike Singeltary) and use RS when you are close to tackling the Opponent to lay the Big Hit on them.

Game Record Interceptions by One Player (20) - See Season Record Interceptions Achievement

Game Record Passing Yards in a Game (15) - Record is 554 Yards. Easily done by changing the Sliders in your Favor as well as having Marino,Elway or Montana as your QB and throwing Flea Flickers to Jerry Rice as your Gold WR

Game Record Receiving Yards (20) - Record is 316 yards. This can be obtained while going for the Game Passing Record.

Game Record Rushing Yards (10) - Record is 295 Yards Rushing. Draft Barry Sanders as your Gold RB. Then Draft Gold & Silver and Bronze Offensive Lineman. If you are having problem's with this adjust the Slider's.

Game Record for Defensive Sacks (20) - Record is 7. Should be easily accomplished going through your Season. If you are having trouble just turn Penalties off and line up behind the QB. But this is VERY easy

Game Record Toucdowns (10) - Record is 7. You should get this when going for the Game Passing Record Achievement

Stride Gum Long Lasting Drive (20) - Score an 80 Yard or Further TD at the end of the 2nd Quarter. Use the Flea Flicker with Elway and Rice

Return an INT for a Toucdown (15) - Return an Inerception for a TouchDown. If you are having trouble with this, See Season INT Record.

Win 10 Games Online (15) - Just win 10 Games Online or grab a buddy online and start the match and after the coin toss quit the match and rinse and repeat till you reach your 10th win, You DO however have to play that 10th match to get this achievement.

Win 20 Games Online (20) - Just win 20 Games Online or grab a buddy online and start the match and after the coin toss quit the match and rinse and repeat until you reach your 20th win. You DO however have to play that 20th match to get the achievement.

Win 50 Games Online (50) - Just win 50 Games Online or grab a buddy online and start the match and after the coin toss quit the match and rinse and repeat until you reach your 50th win. You DO however have to play that 50th match to get the achievement.

Win 3 Games in a Row (15) - Win 3 straight games. This can be obtained while going for the 10,20 and 50 win achievements as well.

Win 5 Games in a Row (20) - Win 5 straight Games. This can be obtained while going for the 10,20 and 50 win achievements as well.

It's fun to play together (5) - Join an online League or Tournament

Get Connected (5) - Just play any Online Ranked Game

League Participation (20) - Play in an Online League or Tournament Game. Simulating a Tournament will not get you this. You must play a full game

We are the Champions (50) - Win an online League or Tournament. Do it the hard way...or Create a tournament of 4 people invite 3 friends, Generate a schedule and go to Manage Schedule and make yourself the tournament winner!

Golden Arm (20) - Throw for 500 Yards passing with a GOLD QB. Draft Elway or Marino and Rice as your WR. Throw Flea Flickers and you will have this in no time. If you're having problems adjsut the sliders in your favor

Run and Gun (15) - Throw for 200 Yards Passing and Rush for 50 yards. Pick Steve Young or Randall Cunningham and Jerry Rice as your WR. Throw to him for 200 Yards. Then choose the Straight open Formation and QB Sneak Play until you have 50 yards.If you're having problems just adjsut the sliders in your favor.

Six for 6 (10) - Throw 6 TD's with a Bronze QB. Choose Steve Bartkowski or Bernie Kosar and Jerry Rice and Herman Moore as your WR's. If you're having problems just adjsut the sliders in your favor.

Two for One (20) - Gain 150 Yards Each with a GOLD WR and a Bronze WR. Choose Elway or Marino as your QB and Rice as your Gold WR and Alvin Harper as your Bronze WR. If you're having problems adjsut the sliders in your favor.

Over the Top (15) - Gain 200 yards Receiving with a Bronze WR. Just get 50 more Yard's while going for Two for One with the Bronze WR

Pound it Out (10) - Gain 250 Yards Rushing with a Bronze RB. Use Christian Okoye and rush for 250 yards. If you're having problems adjsut the sliders in your favor

You want me to do What? (20) - Rush for 200 yards and 100 yards Receiving with a Gold RB. Pick Barry Sanders or Walter Payton. Put it on 15 minue quarters. Adjsut the sliders if need be.

Ground Game (15) - Rush for 4 TD's with a Silver RB. Choose Roger Craig not too hard.

Sack Master (10) - Get 5 Sacks in One Game with a Bronze Defender. See Game Record Sacks Achievement

2 Points(10) - Get a Safety. If you are having problems getting this see the Game Record Forced fumbles Achievement

Butter Fingers (30) - Set the Record for Forced Fumbles in a Season (Record is 7 with ONE player) Turn Penalties off. Put it on 15 minute quarters and when 4th down comes just line up one of your players about 5 yards in front of the Punter. You don't actually need to jump to block the punt. All you have to do is run into the punter and that will count as a Forced Fumble. This is also where you can get the Game Record Forced Fumble and Return a Fumble for a TD Achievements.

Covered like a Blanket (35) - Break the Season Record for Interceptions (Record is 14 by ONE Player!) The Hardest Achievemnt in this game personally.Start a new Season.The way i did it was i first Draft 2 Gold CB's in Rod Woodson and Night TrainLane.Then Drafted Silver FS Jack Tatum and Silver SS Leroy Butler. Play 15 minute Quarters. Play the Bear Defense, 46 Razor Right Formation and the Play "46 SS Blast 1man". Watch the QB very closely look to see where he throws when he does throw quickly press B to switch to the Defender closest to where the ball is beign thrown. Once it is close to your defender press RB (Catch) to Intercept the Ball. It takes patience and time. I noticed alot of the time the computer likes to throw screen passes. As you get further in the game in the last 7or 8 minutes of the 4th Quarter you will pile up Int's very quickly. You need 15 to break the record give it 2 or 3 games or so. You should also get the Game Record INT's (5 Ints in One Game) & 2 INT's with a Gold Defender Achievement's as well.

Spread the Wealth (30) - Finish the Season with 5084 Yards Passing. Pick Dan Marino and Simulate your season till week 16 but don't play the game yet. Check your stats to see that your QB has surpassed the Record. If he has set your game for 1 minute quarters and play the last game of the season and after the game the achievement will unlock.

Take it to the House (35) - Finish the season with 1848 Yards Receiving. Pick Jerry Rice and Simulate your season till week 16 but don't play that game yet. Check your stats to see that your WR has surpassed the record. If he has set your game for 1 minute quarters and play the last game of the season and after the game achievement unlocked.

Single Season Rushing Record (20) - Finish the Season with 2105 Yards Rushing. Pick Barry Sanders and Simulate your season until week 16 but don't play theat game yet. Check your stats to see that you broke the record. If he has set your game for 1 min quarters and play that last game of the season and after that game achievement unlocked.

Single Season Sack Record (35) - Obtain 24 Sacks in one season. Pick Reggie White and Simualte the Season until week 16 but don't play that game yet. Check your stats to see that you broke the record. If so, set it up for 1min quarters and play that game and after the game achievement unlocked.

Set the Single Season TD Record (20) - Score 31 or more TD's in One Season with One Player. Start a new season. Pick Elway and Rice.Change the User Sliders to 100 and the CPU Sliders to Zero. Should take no more then 2 games

Season Mode Championship (40) - See Mission Impossible

Complete Season (25) - See Mission Impossible

Complete a Season Game (10) - Just complete your first Season Mode Game

Mission Impossible (100) - Go undeafeted in your Season. Rather easy. Draft a Gold QB and and a Gold WR. Sim game by game. You win save it and so on and so forth. When you lose reload and try again. Do this all the way to the Championship with the Legends. I personally couldn't Sim my team to victory so i played it and won. But you DO NOT have to play if you can get them to win. After you win Achievement Unlocked

All Pro (15) - Shut out the AI on All-Pro Difficulty. Set it up for 1 Minute Quarters, Score and Run the Clock out. You cannot adjsut the Sliders for this.

Legend (20) - Shut out the AI on Legend Difficulty. Set it up for 1 Minute Quarters,.Score and Run the Clock out.You cannot adjsut the sliders for this.

Pro (25) - Shut out the AI on Pro Difficulty. Set it up for 1 Minute Quarters.Score and Run the Clock out. You cannot adjust the Sliders for this.

Bring'em Down (15) - Get 15 Tackles with a Silver Defender. You should get this in a 15 minute Game with a Silver LB (Jessie Tuggle)no problem.

First one is the Hardest (10) - Win a Game, Just win your first game!

2 INT's with a Gold Defender (10) - See Butter Fingers Achievement

OK . . . here is a bug. I was ahead 14 to 3 in a season game and there was like 35 seconds left in the game. So I told it to go ahead and simulate the last 35 seconds for me. I check the score at the end and I lost 14 to 17. WTF? So I checked out the simulation. Apparently they threw a hail mary and got first touchdown. Fine. But what about the second touchdown . . . they kicked off to themselves, then lost 10 yards, and TOUCHDOWN! WTF? :lol
APF2K8Bug.jpg

I love that last play . . . 1st and 246 yards on their goal line . . . lose 10 Yards . . . TOUCHDOWN!

1. Miss extra point try
2. Lose 10 yards
3. ???
4. TOUCHDOWN!

maynerd said:
I hear the demo is up on marketplace.
I played the demo . . . not a very good one. The announcers are completely missing in the demo. And the demo gives you absolutely no instructions on how to play the game. You get to play a single two minute quarter with a pair of pre-selected teams. No sliders are available at all. The basic gameplay is there but w/o any instructions as to what the controls are, it is probably very difficult for someone to play . . . especially if they are accustomed to playing Madden as most people trying the demo will be.

Not a very smart way to demo their product, IMHO.

Edit: But then again, if you buy the game, you only get a small manual that describes about 1/2 of the games controls & features, so perhaps they want users to get used to having no help. :lol

Nightz

Thanks, speculawyer, for the achievement list. A lot of those seem like the cheap and easy way to get achievements...so I think I'll go through a couple of seasons first to try and get the achievements myself. Then, if I can't do some I'll refer to your list. Nice job, really appreciate it.

Jirotrom

BirdBomb said:
i dont know about the less drops part... i still get loads of drops. a non legend guy drops loads of passes, especially wide open ones. legend players drop some easy ones too, but strangely they never seem to drop the real hard spectacular catches. same with non legend players i guess. my no name FB cant catch a normal pass to save his life but a diving over the shoulder one handed catch? money!
what is with this.... I have Jerry Rice out there and he drops balls all over the place...it's a little ridiculous, do I need to change sliders?

The statistics engine (or whatever you want to call it) in this game is a travesty. I'm having a godly season with Montana (about 12 games, 3000 yards, 28 TDs, 7 ints), and I'm near the bottom of the league in passer efficiency.

Steve Young, at the top, has 28 TDs, ZERO interceptions, and a roughly 142 passer rating. What.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Jirotrom said:
what is with this.... I have Jerry Rice out there and he drops balls all over the place...it's a little ridiculous, do I need to change sliders?

Yeah it's rather odd. I've had Rice drop several wide open passes in the endzone. Deep balls that he has ran past the last defender to get to, and then he just drops it. But if I send him over the middle and into double coverage he'll catch it.

The more I play this game the less I like it.

Rorschach

Truelize said:
Yeah it's rather odd. I've had Rice drop several wide open passes in the endzone. Deep balls that he has ran past the last defender to get to, and then he just drops it. But if I send him over the middle and into double coverage he'll catch it.

The more I play this game the less I like it.
Bad pick? Vindication! ^^

RBH

Just a heads up, as Target is selling APF 2K8 for $29.99 this week.

I was waiting until a price drop before picking this up, and now I may do so.

Also, it's funny how the discussion of this game virtually died a couple of weeks after release. :p It's a decent game with the same 2K gameplay that I've enjoyed since NFL 2K, but it's lack of singleplayer offline content is definitely a put-off.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RBH said:
Just a heads up, as Target is selling APF 2K8 for $29.99 this week.

I was waiting until a price drop before picking this up, and now I may do so.

Also, it's funny how the discussion of this game virtually died a couple of weeks after release. :p It's a decent game with the same 2K gameplay that I've enjoyed since NFL 2K, but it's lack of singleplayer offline content is definitely a put-off.
This is also one of the valid games in the Toys R Us 2-for-1 deal.

Top Bottom