• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Amazon Acquires Twitch for $970 million in cash

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
"Buy this game now on Amazon" under every video. Fun!

image.php

Syf

Banned
Much happier with Amazon than Google. Sounds like they're going to be allowed to stay mostly independent while having the support to improve. I like it!

Amazon is serious about gaming. Twitch is the future of... something. I just started getting into Twitch through curiously checking out Live from PlayStation, that quickly became signing up on Twitch and chatting with random streamers.

There are some great personalities streaming, and checking out streams and talking the person playing the game is more informative than game reviews.

Castcoder

Banned
Given that Amazon has their MP3 store front, could they allow music that is available on their store to pass through the censors as part of this? Songs not on the store aren't allowed or something? Yes? Please?

coughlanio

So, it seems like Amazon were the ones that requested Twitch to implement a Content ID system.

Makes sense, Twitch having such a large backing would have the MPAA paint a target its back. Now, give me curated Twitch content on Amazon video game product pages and I'll be happy.

I guess we'll see referral links on streams now, giving the streamer the referral fee?

roytheone

Hmm, this is surprising to say the least. I wonder if all the people that posted " fuck you Google!" Kind of posts in the thread about the twitch changes will admit their mistake.

Why the Google deal fell through.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2014/08/25/amazon-pounces-on-twitch-after-google-balks-due-to-antitrust-concerns/?utm_campaign=techtwittersf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
Google was unable to close the deal, said sources familiar with the talks, because it was concerned about potential antitrust issues that could have come with the acquisition. The Mountain View, Calif. company already owns YouTube, the world’s most-visited content streaming site, which competes with Twitch to broadcast and stream live or on-demand video game sessions. One source noted that because of the concerns, Google and Twitch could not come to an agreement on the size of a potential breakup fee in case the deal did not go through.

Sandfox

Given that Amazon has their MP3 store front, could they allow music that is available on their store to pass through the censors as part of this? Songs not on the store aren't allowed or something? Yes? Please?

That's not really the same thing. Amazon selling MP3's has nothing to do with copyright concerns.

This isn't going to happen. Someone else will explain why.

Edit: Sandfox did already.

jblank83

I'm fine with this, much more fine than I would have been if Google bought Twitch. I don't hate Google, but what they've done with Youtube has been infuriating. Meanwhile, Amazon has done right by every business they've put their hands in.

Patryn

Unless those artists are being compensated in some other fashion, it doesn't matter that they're on the storefront.

Although... Prime members get access to unmuted streams? In that case, Prime members do have unlimited music streaming.

Orayn

Last I heard, Twitch was exploring their options regarding multiple audio streams and Amazon's connections will probably be helpful if they go forward with that.

But no, it won't be a simple solution like you're describing.

marrec

Banned
I'm not as convinced that Amazon is going to be any better... But they have the infrastructure to make it better than it is now at least.

Heroman

Banned
Unless those artists are being compensated in some other fashion, it doesn't matter that they're on the storefront.

Although... Prime members get access to unmuted streams?

I cant see that happening, unless amazon is paying the company for the right of using their music during streams.

Cipherr

No. Google has their own store front for music also through Play Music and that changes nothing.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm on the verge of not supporting Amazon anymore. Not because of this. Personal issues. Working conditions and shipping quality.

But, to seperate myself from that, this seems like Twitch can keep more independance. So, that's good.

Xeroblade

How does this affect the people who left to Hitbox? It is not like they would have gotten money out of this had they stayed...
This doesn't change any of twitch's new implementations as well. In fact, we don't know what Amazon will want changed with it yet.

Got the opposite meaning out of that. Heh

I mean you're right but lets just be honest, who is watching people on hitbox anyways when the more known streamers are still on Twitch because of their fans?

wsippel

Banned
Amazon or Google, pestilence or cholera. The Twitch founders won (and are laughing all the way to the bank), everybody else lost - and would have lost regardless. Though Amazon buying Twitch is probably pretty much the worst outcome imaginable, almost as bad as Tencent, EA, Ubisoft or Activision buying Twitch.

LuchaShaq

Banned
So glad its not google.

YouTube/Twitch would be a gaming video monopoly.

Google has shown time and time again they don't care about false copyright claims/false positives on YouTube. They simply are incompetent in this regard.

TxdoHawk

Twitch is probably doomed no matter the buyer, to be honest. I don't see how they are going to grow bigger, deal with the insane bandwidth/hardware requirements for doing so, and still turn a profit without pissing off their already-riled fanbase. Mere advertising isn't likely to sustain the kind of costs they will incur.

I'd love to know the logic behind your post.

Twitch is huge and only really set to grow. eSports is gaining huge ground with consoles now having built in to twitch streaming and MOBA's being the phenomenon they are.

We now have more live streams for panels and conferences than at any other time and the vast majority of those are watched and broadcast from twitch.

It's difficult to monetize in it's current format but it's a dream advertising space and with a few tweaks it could sustain a premium service that offers higher quality streams or exclusive video content.

Hell it could even expand to be a source of gaming trailers, exclusive content and reviews like Gametrailers.

It's got so much potential.

If Amazon starts trying to charge to watch Twitch they will kill it immediately. Part of Twitch's success, and YouTube's, is that it's free to watch.

Beyond that they can plaster it with ads but really no one thinks that's going to be a huge moneymaker. YouTube isn't a huge profit driver for Google despite being the biggest free video streaming site on Earth.

Monetizing free without killing interest is no walk in the park, just look at Facebook's struggles in making money consistently. Sheer traffic is no guarantee of future profits, especially on the Internet.

Top Bottom