• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Amazon Acquires Twitch for $970 million in cash

Orayn

Twitch is probably doomed no matter the buyer, to be honest. I don't see how they are going to grow bigger, deal with the insane bandwidth/hardware requirements for doing so, and still turn a profit without pissing off their already-riled fanbase. Mere advertising isn't likely to sustain the kind of costs they will incur.

Well, they do get money from some places other than advertising. There's already Twitch Turbo and a cut of paid channel subscriptions through the partner program, and I could see them adding new options like secure tip jars that take a few percent through Amazon payments, or paying to get your streams transcoded to multiple qualities like partner/event stuff.

DSix

Banned
I think Amazon is less likely to fuck it up, so we might be ok. Tho I wish twitch remained independent.

Nearly a billion in cash. Fucking wow.

As far as Amazon is concerned, this is definitely a better way for them to claim their stake in the video games industry than trying to introduce another android-based games console. However on that point, it would be interesting if FireTV users received automatic Turbo upgrades...

Also of note here;

If this means Amazon takes over making their goddamn mobile apps, it'll be the best thing ever because the ones they have now are terrible

Akai__

Thanks god it isn't Google.

Promising words in the CEO letter. Hope they bring good decisions, like better servers and more stable ones.

Cess007

I know it's less that what Google was supposed to pay, but daaaamn! $970 millions? Hope having Prime gaves us some extra stuff on Twitch now :p

Zukuu

Banned
Still pondering what Amazon gets out of this. Sure they will probably have ads linking to buy the game you are currently watch on twitch's website, but I doubt that's worth a billion. Well, maybe they invest in the future and will see tremendous earnings by steadily growing twitch.

Burt

I guess donations will run through Amazon payments now? Should be a step up from Paypal and help mitigate things like that $11k clusterfuck, right?

El Sloth

Banned
So, everyone trashing Google for the Twitch audio-censoring over the past two weeks are unjustified?

Yup.

All guns pointed at Amazon now.
Not necessarily. I'd say they probably already had plans in place, but I think the potential deal with Google definitely accelerated things. I'd point to the really half-assed launch of the new features, timing, and the new forbes article as my basis.

Orayn

So, everyone trashing Google for the Twitch audio-censoring over the past two weeks are unjustified?

Yup.

All guns pointed at Amazon now.

It was inevitable no matter who bought Twitch, or even if they remained independent. You can't just ignore that stuff when you're staring down the barrel of potential litigation from record labels.

M4shy

Neo Member
Plot twitch twist.

Still, far better than Google acquiring Twitch.
Where did those rumors come from anyway? I can't remember.

Orayn

Honest question. Why is Amazon any better then Google?

People aren't afraid that Amazon will force them to use their real name via Google+, change the layout like that one time they RUINED YOUTUBE FOREVER, or ban streaming video games because they hate fun and want to ruin everything.

Whether or not those fears were well-founded is another question entirely. :p

Cipherr

It was inevitable no matter who bought Twitch, or even if they remained independent. You can't just ignore that stuff when you're staring down the barrel of potential litigation from record labels.

Thats what we were saying when everyone was freaking out before. No one was listening then though, it was clearly the big bad Googles fault. Hopefully now people will realize it though and direct that outrage in the right direction. Its got fuck all to do with the tech behemoths and everything to do with the stubborn ass music industry, and in some cases the gaming industry.

Sorral

I mean you're right but lets just be honest, who is watching people on hitbox anyways when the more known streamers are still on Twitch because of their fans?

That's another issue entirely though.
There is no arguing Twitch is much more popular and still has many popular streamers who can afford to stick with Twitch. Competition and options are a good thing though.

jokkir

For those who are saying thank God it wasn't Google: why?

Twitch still has the changes it place that made it worse (content id, VODd, etc) and are still worse off than when it was rumoured that Google bought them. With Amazon now, it's still in the same exact position as when it was "doomed" by that supposed Google buyout. So which is it? Is Google evil or is Amazon for those terrible changes?

Redrop

Why do people think Amazon is any better than Google?

Competition is healthy for business and the consumer, and if Google had acquired Twitch there would be even less competition.

So in this case Amazon seems to be the lesser of two "objectionable" outcomes.

El Sloth

Banned
You mean antitrust?
No, I meant Twitch's wish to remain mostly independent from the mothership. I really doubt the Justice Department would have made any moves against the deal. I just can't see it in my head. Well, it's sort of moot now anyways.

Zeth

That's a relief. I feel much better about this than Google.

Even more honest question. When did Google become the new EA?

I guess when their power and influence hit a critical mass at some point in the past decade - they're not the scrappy upstart they once were, that's for sure.

Sandfox

They really aren't, but people don't like how Google handles Youtube(some things are justifed, and others aren't). I would honestly prefer Twitch to be in Google's hands.

Competition is healthy for business and the consumer, and if Google had acquired Twitch there would be even less competition.

So in this case Amazon seems to be the lesser of two "objectionable" outcomes.

I really don't consider them close enough competition to the point where they would suffer under the same owner. I honestly would've liked to seen the option to automatically upload streams to a Youtube account.

Because Amazon isn't Google.

You say that like Google is inherently bad.

jersoc

do you use youtube? its had like nothing major added in years. its slow as hell at times too. plus their changes have not been for the better, imo.

now come on amazon, announce the switch from flash to html5 please.

Mr. Desu

I'd rather Google have bought 'em.
Either way, this doesn't change the VOD changes, and despite Twitch saying they'll operate independently, I'm sure we'll see changes made by Amazon by the end of the year.

They aren't, but it's better than the same corporation owning youtube and twitch. god knows we need less cross pollination of the two.

I second this. I would love to know why Google gets so much hate besides owning everything.

They do a lot of asshole shit. Not all, mind you, I adore their fiber internet plans for example, but they have their ups and their downs like every other corporation.

Their youtube/livestreaming policies, though? mostly downs. so it's not a surprise that people are hostile towards google.

Subscribing via Amazon would be way better than subscribing through Paypal.

Maybe Streamers will even have an option to only let subscribers and Prime members chat instead of everyone, just to protect from massive 'OR RIOT' spam.

Top Bottom