• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Amazon Acquires Twitch for $970 million in cash

Amazon has apps for prime on all of them. Including iOS.

It would be retarded to not have twitch apps on consoles, especially since people stream from thrm.

No they don't. There's no Amazon Instant Video for Android. It's iOS only. They have an Android app but they only make it available for Kindle Fire.

CoG

But Google can't have an avenue into your life unless you give them permission.

They make good stuff. I like Gmail, YouTube, Google Search, and Google Maps. I've conceded that they're mining my shit when I used those services. I don't want to give them any more data about me if I don't have to. I like Twitch and would most likely continue to use it if Google owned it.

It irritated the hell out of me when I discovered their iOS app locked GPS on all the time and tracked every single move I made for months. At the expense of my battery life no less. Deleted that shit and would not consider Android in a million years after that.

fader

It's not better they both the same, they both business for profit. Also i dunno when everyone started hating google, i thought they were cool.

i don't know for everyone else, but i disliked Google buying them because they have a reputation for acquiring companies and ripping them apart and turning them into something that fits their ideals.

arhra

Can't wait for the inevitable product recommendations under every stream.

Knowing Twitch, they're gonna be weird.

You watched Twitch Plays Pokemon. You might also be interested in...
EzSN77y.jpg

i feel like people forget what youtube was like before it was bought. it was a 360p video service that was bleeding cash like mad.

That's the rational discourse. I think a lot of people are still pissed about the real name thing (no longer a requirement). Beyond that, the only rational reason I can presume for preferring Amazon is to avoid a monopoly situation.

Alfredo

So does this lend credence to the idea that Twitch hastily implemented those dumb VOD changes in a panic because the Google deal fell through?

Either way, I feel like the golden age of Twitch is still at an end. I hope I an wrong.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
That's the rational discourse. I think a lot of people are still pissed about the real name thing (no longer a requirement). Beyond that, the only rational reason I can presume for preferring Amazon is to avoid a monopoly situation.

that's the first legitimate concern ive read thus far.

I'm happy for 2 reasons:
-amazon has the power to bring twitch to a new level without too much sacrifices
- I won't have to fuse mytwitch acount and my google account.

So does this lend credence to the idea that Twitch hastily implemented those dumb VOD changes in a panic because the Google deal fell through?

Either way, I feel like the golden age of Twitch is still at an end. I hope I an wrong.

I feel like that's something they just did because they're up for sale and the lawyers involved wanted to reduce their copyright liability as much as possible so they could get a better price for the company.

Amir0x

Banned
When I'm looking for a job in a few years I'm 100% going to avoid them based on the stories I've read lol.

yeah there's an Amazon center around here, and my friend Daiquan worked there. They had like a bell that went off if you were away from your station for even more than like 2 minutes, they were paid like shit, and they dog you hard if you don't reach your quotas, even though they seemed to love raising the quotas to ever more impossible heights.

It's like the epitome of a dead end job that makes one empty inside. I mean if you need a job there's no shame in it, you gotta get paid somehow. But Amazon should have an obligation to treat their employees with some shred of dignity, and they simply don't. I don't care, raise the Amazon.com prices if you need to. But treat your employees better Amazon.

bryehn

I don't really see this as better or worse but it's far more interesting than getting absorbed into Google. Amazon has a strong CDN business and they're making their own version of AdSense too.

shitjustgotreal.gif

JNA

Banned
At least it's better than Google buying them. Thank goodness. Content ID would have destroyed Twitch. :(

I'm curious to see what Amazon does with it. I'm more optimistic about them than I was with Google so hopefully they prove me and others that think the same right.

atbigelow

I don't like Amazon because of their amazingly destructive mobile store policies and how they manage to strip down Android to worthless levels.

However, what I do like about this is that it breeds competition. With Google buying them, fitting it together with YouTube was a mystery. YT's backend platform smokes Twitch's, but how those two beasts would merge together was bizarre.

With Amazon purchasing them, I'm hoping to see YouTube step up to the live stream plate.

ViciousDS

Banned
Well, they bought Woot (which is far more tuned toward Amazon's bread and butter - selling stuff), and that seems to have just expanded, not changed, really. Amazon's been alright with their acquisitions so far.

Bought so much shit off of woot after amazon acquired them. Really happy how the handled their acquisition, if they basically just give twitch the server structure they need.....this could be amazing.

iNvid02

interesting, wouldnt mind seeing amazon jump into gaming a bit more, rather that than google control both youtube and twitch. hoping my prime sub will do something too.

has anyone made the tony joke yet? if not i'm going to go ahead

cheers
tony

antigoon

I don't see how this is going to be different at all. Unless Amazon has some secretly advanced content ID software that doesn't false-positive everything in sight.

Top Bottom