• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Amazon Acquires Twitch for $970 million in cash

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Will amazon support the xb1/ps4/iOS/android apps or are they going to dump them for firetv or whatever they sell...?
Amazon has apps for prime on all of them. Including iOS.

It would be retarded to not have twitch apps on consoles, especially since people stream from thrm.

todahawk

I'd love to know the logic behind your post.

Twitch is huge and only really set to grow. eSports is gaining huge ground with consoles now having built in to twitch streaming and MOBA's being the phenomenon they are.

We now have more live streams for panels and conferences than at any other time and the vast majority of those are watched and broadcast from twitch.

It's difficult to monetize in it's current format but it's a dream advertising space and with a few tweaks it could sustain a premium service that offers higher quality streams or exclusive video content.

Hell it could even expand to be a source of gaming trailers, exclusive content and reviews like Gametrailers.

It's got so much potential.

Agreed. Twitch's biggest problem seemed to be they grew so damn fast and Amazon can help with hosting and storage issues. Seems like a good fit and good move for both.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
breaking-bad-s5ep10-2.png

qko

Sounds like a move to complete with Youtube...

soon enough:

"Unveiling Twitch Gaming! A subcatagory buried within a subcatagory that's buried within another subcatagory dedicated to gaming streams! Check out Our live stream of the VMA Red Carpet Ceremony right now on the front page!"

Tigress

I personally like the news. Amazon seems to do well with the stuff it gets (they do their homework and seem to want to make people happy). On top of that, Google does not need to get Twitch, it would leave too little competition for Youtube and already there's noise about people not happy with what they are doing with Youtube. Google gets Twitch, a lot less places for Let's Players and reviewers to go to.

OmegaFax

Amazon could blend Twitch in well with their own affiliate program. If there's a game someone sees in a Twitch stream or certain equipment used by a broadcaster, it can be easily bought.

Amazon also has their own cloud storage and compute services.

Can see this as a net benefit for Twitch and Amazon.

If they make Twitch and put it under the Amazon Prime or Fire umbrella, eh, nope. Maybe not that great.

Mlatador

Banned
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) today announced that it has reached an agreement to acquire Twitch Interactive, Inc., the leading live video platform for gamers. In July, more than 55 million unique visitors viewed more than 15 billion minutes of content on Twitch produced by more than 1 million broadcasters, including individual gamers, pro players, publishers, developers, media outlets, conventions and stadium-filling esports organizations.

WOAH, that's like... quadrillions of billions of milliseconds...

537.gif

Amazon is the last company I would have expected to make this move. Real odd, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Hopefully they won't try to shoehorn in any prime bullshit.

One sells you stuff, the other sells your stuff (to other companies).

Not true. Google doesn't sell your data it just uses your data to match companies advertisements to your search history/gmail habits etc. The other companies do not see your data.

It's an important distinction which is often lost in the mix.

xk0sm0sx

During Negotiations...

Twitch : So you agree to buy us for $1 billion then.
Amazon : Yes!... Wait, we'll buy you for $950 million.
Twitch : What?
Amazon : 950.
Twitch : You told us one billion!
Amazon : 950.
Twitch : ...990.
Amazon : 960!
Twitch : ...980.
Amazon : 970!

DEAL!

LX_Theo

Banned
I remember several people telling me that the Google purchase already went through officially and wasn't official like a month ago. Well, screw them.

Spwn

I think it's good because Amazon is so hungry to beat Google in the "web entertainment" competition, that they'll likely put serious money into Twitch, and try to improve the user experience to make it even better service than it has been so far. I can see Amazon push home streaming forward and developing products to make streaming easier for everyone. I can see it having positive outcomes for end-users: streamers will get more viewers, viewers have more content to choose from.

Not saying Google wouldn't have done the same, but I just think Amazon has more reasons to put resources behind this.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
It's not better they both the same, they both business for profit. Also i dunno when everyone started hating google, i thought they were cool.

they tried to get people to use their real names while commenting on youtube. somehow that counteracts all of the cool things they make and their rampant philanthropy. the internet is a fickle mistress.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Honest question. Why is Amazon any better then Google?
Personally, Google is creepy top to bottom whereas Amazon is creepy but in less threatening ways. Who knows what Google really wanted with Twitch. Plus Amazon has a pretty good track record with acquisitions. Sites like Woot, IMDb, Goodreads and Zappos all appear to remain relatively independent and/or are noticeably improved since they were acquired (in my opinion). They weren't absorbed into a mega corporation and robbed of an identity. If Twitch can leverage AWS to improve the experience and keep refining their mobile/set top experience it seems like a win

This is impressive. Not the Amazon buying Twitch part, that's whatever.

the $970 million IN CASH. To put that in perspective, here's what we assume $80 million looks like. Huell for scale.

Now imagine that multiplied by 12 and 1/8th. That's how much it would be.

I hope when Twitch and Amazon were talking about price, Twitch just asked for a 'boat-load of cash", and Amazon just said "Fuck it, just 2- Day Prime Ship them a boat full of hundreds."

Amir0x

Banned
Well that's better than the alternative, I suppose...

...but Amazon needs to start treating its employees better. Like, hard. I've heard so many horror stories from people working there, shit is not acceptable.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Better outook than if it had been YT/Google.

Amazon is great and I expect great things.

Amazon has been turning into Apple, lots of pay walls and proprietary hardware. Everything they touch turns to shit lately.

Apt101

Damn Twitch is really worth that much? I wonder what Amazon is going to use it for? Links to games on Amazon from the streams? Ads?

Sandfox

Well that's better than the alternative, I suppose...

...but Amazon needs to start treating its employees better. Like, hard. I've heard so many horror stories from people working there, shit is not acceptable.

When I'm looking for a job in a few years I'm 100% going to avoid them based on the stories I've read lol.

Amazon has been turning into Apple, lots of pay walls and proprietary hardware. Everything they touch turns to shit lately.

I'm curious to see what will be locked behind Prime.

this is so weird to me. what do you mean?

It's unfounded paranoia. If Google was interested in Twitch (still completely rumored) it would be for the same reason they bought YouTube. To advertise to you and use your data to serve ads that aligned to your interests.

Which has always been optional anyway as no one forces you to use Google products. Heck, you don't even have to sign in to YT to watch videos.

At the moment... after the shock has settled down a little, I'm almost MORE surprised how many more GAFfers prefer amazon over google. Over here in my country (germany) amazon's been getting nothing but bad press. The media over here consistantly - there's really no other angle! - pictures amazon as megalomaniacal fashists (not in the racist sense) that would never settle for anything less than complete world domination.
As far as I'm concerned google is still a company for me, it's doing what it does, even data crunching your privacy, to make more money. Amazon isn't even really INTERESTED in making a lot of money. The thing they want is MARKET SHARE. They want to be the biggest thing there is, one corporation to end them all. It's even scarier than google's thirst for companies with robot know-how to me.

I'll admit, I'm an amazon prime customer since 2007 (I think), but I only see twitch in better hands with amazon in the short term. In the long term Amazon will probably integrate Instant Video into Twitch and will go after youtube and netflix together.

Top Bottom