• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Amazon Acquires Twitch for $970 million in cash

Eggbok

receipts.gif

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Where are the people who were bitching about Google ruining Twitch now?

Twitch ruined Twitch.

I'd rather see Twitch in the hands of Amazon than in the hands of Google, so I'm okay with this. $970 million in cash though, I wonder if that's literal.

Crazy how fast Twitch grew. I don't think I even knew what Twitch was early last year. Now, I use it regularly right through my PS4.

Same with Oculus.

Patryn

Why did they only settle for the millions? Twitch has insane amounts of traffic shouldn't it be in the billions?

Insane amounts of traffic do not equal revenue. What they do equal is very high bandwidth costs.

Add into that the chance that game companies could begin suing to shut down streams at any time, which kills your entire business, and you have a very unstable market.

Honestly, I'm kind of shocked it was worth even this much.

El Sloth

Banned
I certainly wasn't expecting Amazon at all. I'll wait and see what they'll do with the service.

lol I can't help but think of all the times I'd say to people "nothing has been confirmed or finalized yet" about the Google deal and they'd just handwave it away.

Armaros

Since the two buyout prices are so similar, it must have been the fine details such as independence and etc that made the Google deal fall through.

I've never had a problem with Amazon. Not even once. I don't think I can say that about any other company I've dealt with. When I received a broken monitor once they somehow got me a replacement the next day. I still don't know how they even did that. And they gave me amazon credit too for the trouble.

As opposed to Google who...well...Content Id amirite?

Insane amounts of traffic do not equal revenue. What they do equal is very high bandwidth costs.

Add into that the chance that game companies could begin suing to shut down streams at any time, which kills your entire business, and you have a very unstable market.

Honestly, I'm kind of shocked it was worth even this much.

It's not, which is probably why Google backed out.

Twitch didn't even show ads integrated into the streams, I'm just not seeing how Amazon thinks they are going to make back the billion they spent.

SerTapTap

Does Amazon do anything else that's primarily ad supported? I know Kindle Fires have a "with promotions" option but it's not their primary focus. Seems like a weird get, as I said in the other thread. I guess this is better as we wont' be seeing full-on content ID, and the muted VODs situation seems to have actually been a mistake (a catastrophic one, but still).

Well, I can seem them incorporating Twitch into Amazon's infrastructure pretty easily -- one-click buys of any games you're currently watching on Twitch, an Amazon Prime membership allowing certain advantages (video hosting, etc). It kind of makes sense.

Pretty much.

I like Amazon as a company, even small things like Autorip just make all the difference and the Prime service with video, lending library and delivery just make it hard for me to dislike them as a company.

Amazon pissing money away here. Shareholders should be asking why.

I'd love to know the logic behind your post.

Twitch is huge and only really set to grow. eSports is gaining huge ground with consoles now having built in to twitch streaming and MOBA's being the phenomenon they are.

We now have more live streams for panels and conferences than at any other time and the vast majority of those are watched and broadcast from twitch.

It's difficult to monetize in it's current format but it's a dream advertising space and with a few tweaks it could sustain a premium service that offers higher quality streams or exclusive video content.

Hell it could even expand to be a source of gaming trailers, exclusive content and reviews like Gametrailers.

It's got so much potential.

Orayn

How does this change the situation in any way? The archive changes are still in place and we don't know how Amazon's takeover will pan out.

The archive changes have been softened (highlight length limit removed) and the detection algorithm for copyrighted music is still being adjusted.

Also, I kind of got the impression that some people were supposedly jumping to Hitbox to avoid some sort of Google apocalypse where you could no longer stream video games on Twitch.

I don't know what this means yet. Amazon has been pretty good at not being terrible, but I'll keep my healthy skepticism of large corporations for now.

Jb

I'm having a hard time seeing how it's going to fit into Amazon's strategy of getting people to buy everything from Amazon, like the Kindle, and their phone and tablet.

Mr. Desu

?

People jumped ship due to Twitch's changes in vod policy and the audio recognition business, unless Amazon orders twitch to revert these (unlikely), the switch is still justified.

I was trying to state that I still think Hitbox is looking like the better option right now. My change is still justified.

Sorral

Hey Hitbox. How ya doin?

LOL! to all those people that jumped ship to Hitbox!

How does this affect the people who left to Hitbox? It is not like they would have gotten money out of this had they stayed...
This doesn't change any of twitch's new implementations as well. In fact, we don't know what Amazon will want changed with it yet.

I was trying to state that I still think Hitbox is looking like the better option right now. My change is still justified.

Got the opposite meaning out of that. Heh

Top Bottom