• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Animal Crossing: City Folk / Let's Go to the City! Thread of Fun & Innocence

Apenheul

oracrest said:
the city actually becomes just an extensin of your little town. Its not as big or sprawling as I imagined. Also, everything is higher poly on city folk, so even the same items you can decorate your house with just look better. It seems like city folk has more in teh way of day long events, store specials, and whatnot. If you have friends with it, it seems a tad mroe accesible for multiplayer. Im enjoying city folk more. You can also zoom in and out in the museum which is nice. I dont think you could in the DS version.

my 2 cents.

Thank you for your reply. Actually your point on the city having day long events convinced me to pick up the Wii version. I don't have much time to play games, certainly not in the morning and afternoon so I'll likely miss out on many time-restricted events, things that happen only during two hours in the afternoon or something. I'm going back to the store in one hour and pick it up :)

TJ Spyke

I wonder how long it will take most people to buy a complete room set from Gracie. Her cheapest item is several thousand bells, I think her most expensive item is like 800K bells.

Still beats trying to wax her damn car in the GCN version, I could never do it fast enough to get one of her exclusive items.

tmaynard

Apenheul said:
Thank you for your reply. Actually your point on the city having day long events convinced me to pick up the Wii version. I don't have much time to play games, certainly not in the morning and afternoon so I'll likely miss out on many time-restricted events, things that happen only during two hours in the afternoon or something. I'm going back to the store in one hour and pick it up :)

You'll really enjoy it. I've played the GC version and Wild World, and it will be hard for me to go back to either of them.

Wild World's horrible frame rate (controls felt laggy it was so bad) left me going back to the Gamecube version. I don't know what it was, but I was much more fond of the GC version compared to Wild World. It was great to have it handheld, but I really love high, smooth frame rates.

City Folk is the best mixture of both. The attention to detail in City Folk is soooo much better so you'll almost always have something to do.

Koomaster

tmaynard said:
I thought this was odd, but I've been playing basically everyday since the release. It hasn't rained or snowed once yet. I better have a white christmas...
It's only snowed for two or three days in my town since last month. But last night it was snowing in the city, but not in my town. Today however, there were gyroids to dig up which surprised me. So apparently the precipitation in the city affects gyroids as well, even if it doesn't rain/snow in your town.

Gyroids seem to be a little easier to get since you can get them from neighbors now, and I always get them from playing Hide and Seek with my neighbors. They will even sell them during the Flea Market as well, while in the DS version, they were off limits.

Also, you'll probably get snow soon...

RUU_0525.jpg

This was on my bulliten board today. It's probably going to be blanketed in most towns within the next week. :D

Apenheul said:
The whole city idea, with its stores quite seperated from the village, kind of rubs me in the wrong way yet on the other hand I feel like I could be missing out on some great things that the Wii version has to offer.

Does anyone who owns both versions feel this way about the city or am I the only one?
I sorta feel like it's similar to the Island in the GC version. It's a nice place to go, but there isn't a NEED to go there everyday. Some places only change once a week like Redd's and Shrunk's theater. And Katrina will only give you a new fortune once a week as well. Gracie's hasn't changed in the past month - I guess to give you a chance to save up enough bells to buy all that expensive furniture there. :p

So yeah, it's 'disconnected' from your town, but for a good reason. Nook's and Able's are changing their stock everyday. There are fossils to dig, conversations with neighbors, fishing and bug catching to do, bells to save. The town is a lot of activity all on it's own. There doesn't need to be the city shops IN the town - sitting off to the side, doing nothing for a week. So imo it's a necessary disconnect - it doesn't feel bad/wrong though.

But aside from the city, the town in the Wii version hasn't had a lack of special things to do. For the past few weeks, we've had the flea market, and the harvest festival. I've had Sahara, Wendel, and Pascal come to visit twice not to mention Joan every Sunday. And I've caught Pete the mailman walking around a bunch of times when it's time to deliver the mail. Plus this weekend is the Fishing Tourney and later this month is Toy Day!

The Wii version has a lot going for it already, without even including what's going on in the city.

The DS version is good for portability, and has a lot of the same features as the Wii version. I think the big thing it's missing is just the normal holidays like the Harvest Festival and Toy Day, and other such real world holidays. It tries to make up it's own like La-Di-Day and Yay Day - but they really don't compare. So it depends on what you want. If you want the Animal Crossing experience on the go; the DS version should be all you need. But if you want a more robust game and don't mind only playing at home, you might want to go with the Wii version.

If you have any questions about the DS version, I'll be glad to answer and go into detail. I'm a little bit of a fanatic about the series (if you couldn't tell) so I know the game inside out by now.

Edit: And someone already beat me to the reply and you made your decision, serves me right for writing a thesis paper over a simple question. :lol

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
g.f has been playing this non-stop. They need a better soundtrack/score for Animal Crossing -- it's quite annoying only have 30 minutes of play.

Apenheul

Koomaster said:
Edit: And someone already beat me to the reply and you made your decision, serves me right for writing a thesis paper over a simple question. :lol

Well it certainly is appreciated :) I'll take your word for it (not holding you responsible for anything of course hehe) and choose the 'more robust game'.

Also what tmaynard mentioned, the attention to detail is something that is important to me. The things that went through me when I saw a little crab sidestepping and leaving little footprints in the sand in The Wind Waker, it's magic :)

EDIT: Ok I bought Animal Crossing City Folk, I'll be playing it tonight and let you people know what I think of it.

bengraven

Wife and her friends are begging me to buy this game despite horribly cheesy/badly acted commercials starring menstrating women in sweatpants.

I don't tell her I have a copy of the DS version with a house nearly paid off waiting to be uploaded into the Wii version when I get the scratch together.

LET'S CHECK IT OUT!

Apenheul

Ok I've played it for nearly three and a half hours. I liked what I've seen so far and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings me. I choose a house near the sea in the bottom right of the map. It's a long walk to Nook's place but at least I have a good neighbour (Cookie). I quit playing because I want to sell stuff to Nook and he's closed right now.

bengraven said:
Wife and her friends are begging me to buy this game despite horribly cheesy/badly acted commercials starring menstrating women in sweatpants.

I don't tell her I have a copy of the DS version with a house nearly paid off waiting to be uploaded into the Wii version when I get the scratch together.

LET'S CHECK IT OUT!

You don't get your house/bells transferred over from the DS version. Only your character and your catalogue is brought over.

TJ Spyke

xS1TH L0RDx said:
is it possible to import images from an SD card into the game?

I haven't seen an option for that. The only thing you can do with a SD card is transfer images from the game to the card.

Scrubking

Can you sell clothes at the able sisters and if so how?

I don't like the idea of dropping my stuff on the ground and hoping the other person doesn't grab my stuff and run.

Koomaster

Um...

RUU_0533.jpg

That's... new.

RUU_0534.jpg

@____@

RUU_0535.jpg

I don't know how I got here; I'm not good with animal crossings!! Don't hurt me!

RUU_0538.jpg

Just checking out your hats. ^___^;

RUU_0539.jpg

He gave me a silver shovel and sent me on my way.

Hope he doesn't show up by my house and yell at me or something tomorrow. ^____^;;

Apenheul

I would post pictures but for some reason my Wii won't recognize my SD cart. Anyway, I was curious whether there would be some activity in AC when playing at midnight. Nobody in the city, but to my surpise Gaston was wondering around with a shovel, he was looking for 'minions' to find him a fossil. After an hour or so of digging around I found a fossil: a tail of some creature. Instead of donating it to the museum I gave it to Gaston hoping to get on his good side. I hope that I find the same fossil some time in the future to donate to the museum again.

TJ Spyke

Scrubking said:
Can you sell clothes at the able sisters and if so how?

I don't like the idea of dropping my stuff on the ground and hoping the other person doesn't grab my stuff and run.

Nope, you can only sell them at Nooks (or maybe the auction house in the city.

As for Resetti, it's random which nights he is open. It's after 9PM, but random which days. Of coarse the silver shovel is worthless if you get the gold shovel first (like I did).

Koomaster

TJ Spyke said:

As for Resetti, it's random which nights he is open. It's after 9PM, but random which days. Of coarse the silver shovel is worthless if you get the gold shovel first (like I did).
It was right after 8pm for me, maybe the time varies as well? And yeah, I already planted and got my golden shovel within the first week as well, so don't know what this silver shovel is used for. I would have rather had one of his hats or a pickaxe. :lol

Wonder if his brother will ever show up there?

Man, I want this game so bad... but I don't have a wii yet and won't have a chance to get one for at least another 4 months (will be doing a study abroad in Jerusalem, won't be able to bring a console). Anyways, all you guys and your pictures have made me pick Wild World back up. By the time I get City Folk I'm hoping to have a kickin' catalog ready to go.

TJ Spyke

Koomaster said:
It was right after 8pm for me, maybe the time varies as well? And yeah, I already planted and got my golden shovel within the first week as well, so don't know what this silver shovel is used for. I would have rather had one of his hats or a pickaxe. :lol

Wonder if his brother will ever show up there?

I just checked my guide, you are right about it being 8PM.

Baconbitz said:
How do I put an image in there?
At the top left where the default image is the dog's (Toby's) head, you can either left-click to bring up an Open dialog or right-click to paste in an image you have in the clipboard.

I have a town with my gf together. We are wondering if we share the gyroids and the fossils. I thought everyone had its own like the money stone each day.

Baconbitz

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
At the top left where the default image is the dog's (Toby's) head, you can either left-click to bring up an Open dialog or right-click to paste in an image you have in the clipboard.
It doesn't like my file types.

Apenheul

My third day of Animal Crossing, and finally something is happening in my village. Two new animals moved here (Dora and Merry) and I ran into Saharah who traded old carpets for new ones and I got a nice parquet floor from her back. Here's a picture of a snowman I made in front of Nooks store:

RUU_0001.JPG

I'm starting to appreciate the franchise.

Apenheul said:
I ran into Saharah who traded old carpets for new ones
In the older games she just took any carpet. Now she seems pickier about it actually being old. How old must it be? Used in your house at all? Used for a certain amount of time? Last time she came around I just went without, as the only used carpet I had available was the mush carpet.

Apenheul

JoshuaJSlone said:
In the older games she just took any carpet. Now she seems pickier about it actually being old. How old must it be? Used in your house at all? Used for a certain amount of time? Last time she came around I just went without, as the only used carpet I had available was the mush carpet.

You can ask villagers if they have old carpets and bring them to Saharah. She wouldn't take my carpets either.

Koomaster

Koomaster said:
She was selling them for 91 bells, so I bought 6,000 of them.
RUU_0545.jpg

:O

Costs: 546,000 bells
Sale: 3,228,000 bells
Profit: 2,682,000 bells :D

I was a little worried about this week since Nook's was closed for remodeling yesterday. Thought I might miss out on a good price. This afternoon the price dropped down to 166 bells, so I definitely sold at the right time!

Also, the snow finally stuck to my town, so I got to make my first snowman as well...

RUU_0554.jpg

I unfortunately suck at making snowmen. Also I ended up placing him behind a sign. Total Failure. ~____~;;

RUU_0549.jpg

Here's Roald commenting on my new look; gave my Mii a stocking cap now that Winter is in full swing. :)

gabe90

Damn you GAF threads and your making me wish I had this game! Damn you girlfriend who if I wasn't dating I would probably already be playing this game with all my free time!

gabe90 said:
Damn you GAF threads and your making me wish I had this game! Damn you girlfriend who if I wasn't dating I would probably already be playing this game with all my free time!

Get her into it. Mine had never played an AC game before, and now she plays this ALL THE TIME. It's really quite annoying sometimes. :)

Koomaster said:
Thought I might miss out on a good price. This afternoon the price dropped down to 166 bells, so I definitely sold at the right time!
Wait, what? the turnips change in price over the day?

great deal, to be honest :)

Apenheul

Lord Helmet said:
Didn't we get Snowman furniture in previous games? My memory escapes me...

Well actually I did get Snowman Couch in the mail in City Folk. Maybe you only get one when the snowman is perfect, or the day after you made one?

Apenheul said:
Well actually I did get Snowman Couch in the mail in City Folk. Maybe you only get one when the snowman is perfect, or the day after you made one?
that's how it worked out in the DS Version afair.

Yesterday was the first day with snow in our town and my first snowman was not right so no snow things for me so far. Today my gf created the snowman :D

btw they kept the limitation of simultaneous running gyroids @ 8! WTF!? I wanted to collect a room full of them and all of them should do their sounds. Even the Cube could handle 12 of them if I remember correctly.

Our Nook is a fucking bastard too. EVERY fuckin' day he only has the christmas tree (the one day the big one, the other day the small one) and another furniture. We already have those damn christmas trees. :( Tomorrow Nook upgrades the first time finally. Hopefully we get some better things then.

n-off

TJ Spyke said:

You might be wrong.
I've read that the gold shovel increases the chances of growing a bell tree and the silver shovel increases the amount of money coming from rocks.

Apenheul

Caesar III said:
btw they kept the limitation of simultaneous running gyroids @ 8! WTF!? I wanted to collect a room full of them and all of them should do their sounds. Even the Cube could handle 12 of them if I remember correctly.

I have six gyroids but I don't really understand the point of them other than that they create a unique rhythm, my collectors-genes made me store them all inside my small house but if there's a limit of 8 then I might just aswell sell a couple.

n-off

Apenheul said:
I have six gyroids but I don't really understand the point of them other than that they create a unique rhythm, my collectors-genes made me store them all inside my small house but if there's a limit of 8 then I might just aswell sell a couple.

You can have Brewster store them for you!

Apenheul said:
I liked this unique rhythm in the cube version. Combined with the right song it sounded great. But I hoped you can now turn on a whole room full of gyroids, so it will be a big orchestra sound. Damn you, ninty.

@brewster: what? I have to check this out. Ok, I have to wait a week longer. I only drank 3 coffees so far.

Koomaster

Scrubking said:
I heard that the balloon gifts fly across every X amount of minutes (10 or 15?), is that true? Or is it random?
They enter the town on times ending in 4. So like 10:04, or 10:54. Whenever the time ends in 4 there is a chance that a balloon will enter your town. But you might not see it till a minute or so later while you are in the middle of town or something. It takes them a few minutes to traverse your whole town.

Caesar III said:
Wait, what? the turnips change in price over the day?

great deal, to be honest :)
Yeah, Nook has a morning price and an afternoon price. At noon, his price for turnips changes.

Apenheul said:
Only 8 can be turned on, but you can put as many in your house that your rooms can hold.

And like Caesar said, they are used as backup for songs. They alter their rhythm to follow along to whatever song is playing.

Today I met my mums town and did a fishing challenge with her. Great fun. Especially with the WiiSpeak. I love this piece of hardware. So much better than headset.

thx koomaster. Is this new in City Folk? Never noticed before.

TJ Spyke

n-off said:
You might be wrong.
I've read that the gold shovel increases the chances of growing a bell tree and the silver shovel increases the amount of money coming from rocks.

You are right, but it's only a 10% chance of getting more bells (not automatic).

d+pad

El Pescado said:
I didn't make this, but it looks awesome. I found it on the AXA Texture Forum.

City Folk Ghostbusters Uniform

So awesome.

My god, that's awesome! I'm going to have to copy that...

By the way, Koomaster, your holiday designs have inspired me to make some of my own. Mine aren't as intricate as yours, but I'm loving them all the same. Thanks for the ideas!

Koomaster

Caesar III said:
thx koomaster. Is this new in City Folk? Never noticed before.
You mean Nook changing price of turnips midday? I'm sure it was in WW where he did that, can't remember now if he was doing the same in the GC version, but most likely so.

d+pad said:
My god, that's awesome! I'm going to have to copy that...

By the way, Koomaster, your holiday designs have inspired me to make some of my own. Mine aren't as intricate as yours, but I'm loving them all the same. Thanks for the ideas!
You're welcome, thanks for the compliment! And as long as you are enjoying your own designs it's worth it! :D

Also, that Ghostbuster design is awesome, I may have to end up copying that myself. ^___^

Stormwatch said:
After watching KK play tonight I saw the aurora!
Same here, it's very beautiful! :)

JadedOne

Caesar III said:
So, I bought 1000 Turnips today. I hope I can sell them quite expensive.

Same here except I only had enough for 500. I really need to make a profit in this game. I'm beyond broke :D

Top Bottom