• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Animal Crossing: City Folk / Let's Go to the City! Thread of Fun & Innocence

donny2112

DavidDayton said:
Just nabbed a $40 Game + Mic bundle on Amazon... my little sister will be happy.

Ditto. I was boycotting since they upped the price by $10 for the bundle from what was stated at E3, but the side-effect is that I hadn't bought it yet and could jump on the $40 bundle. More Animal Crossing, again. :/ :) *shrugs* :lol

I just bought the game :D I won't be able to open it until 16th December though.:(

can't wait to chat with the villagers and take snapshots!

lyre

Been playing this on and off and it's addictive in its own wacky way. Some things that happened when I had a guest over.

This visit should be fun; I'm the one of the left, with da curleh mustache1!
fun353.jpg

Well this visit sure started off nice:
thwack2313.jpg

thwack508.jpg

More humiliation:
bubble_rape467.jpg

Me with my Mii mask on while I'm bending over, leaving myself open for rape (since my Mii always gets joked about looking like a 'little blonde girl' >:p )
sneakking278.jpg

More bubble rape as I'm bending over. :(
bubblerapebonde119.jpg

And because they could, while I was away from the controller for a few minutes, this happens:
omgfumang713.jpg

omgfumang2359.jpg

But since they were kind enough to let me enough time to cover up the holes again (after they got tired of digging new ones), as they went to cover up the last hole, I take this advantage for the last hit:
revenge702.jpg

And now I'm addicted to writing letters again. :(

Koomaster

Holiday Recap!

RUU_0342.jpg

Mmm, look at that spread. So hungee!... But where is the turkey? ¬__¬

RUU_0346.jpg

Seems I was early for the feast, so the 'guest of honor' hadn't arrived. Tortimer kept giving me forks and knives to pass out to all the other neighbors.

RUU_0356.jpg

However, I eventually ran into dinn..*ahem*our guest; Franklin. He pleaded with me to steal all the silverware I could and he would give me furniture for it. So I would have to run to Tortimer, get silverware, then go find Franklin who would go hide someplace different each time, either behind a building, or a tree - yarg! I did that for a while, but man, it was taking FOREVER! Forget that, so much trouble. First to deal with Tortimer.

RUU_0358.jpg

He would only give me 1 set of silverware at a time, so I thought maybe if I dropped it, he would give me another and I could stock up - but he was too crafty for me; noticing my deception... maybe I should have dropped it further away than right behind me? <___<;;

RUU_0360.jpg

Then I came up with the idea of just tossing them all in the Recycling Bin in Town Hall which was right behind Tortimer.

RUU_0370.jpg

Excellent! Now it was time to deal with Franklin. I couldn't have him running all over town, takes too long to track him down, how about we keep him closeby...

RUU_0361.jpg

Oh man, he has no idea what's right behind him! I went around digging holes behind every tree and building except for a few which were close to Town Hall; thereby forcing Franklin to hide only to the areas I selected so I wouldn't have to run all over looking for him.

RUU_0369.jpg

Yeah... sorry about that, don't think your little hide and go seek game is going to work anymore. The sun is setting and people are getting hungry. But since I have your attention; gimme furniture! With him in a more convenient location, and the ability to gather pocketsfull of silverware from Tortimer closeby, I was able to collect the whole 'Harvest Furniture Series' from Franklin - PLUS...

RUU_0371.jpg

:eek: Any extra pieces that I didn't need, I was able to sell off to Nook for lots of profit! I finally decided to stop when I had paid off my latest expansion. The next day...

RUU_0372.jpg

Nook built an extra story onto my house, and... SNOWING! <3

RUU_0373.jpg

The new floor. Looks kinda empty and dark, if only I had some new furniture...

RUU_0374.jpg

Oh snap - Harvest Furniture Time!

RUU_0381.jpg

Even the Happy Room Academy agrees. Harvest Furniture? Bangin'! And that's how I spent Thanksgiving Vacation in AC! :D

i got a phenomenol score buying the ridiculously overpricd furniture from Gracie Graces boutique

And i think i've collected the whole mario collection from the overhead balloons.
Just need more fossils and fishes now :)
Supposedly there is a way to convert my USA save game file to a European one, so i may have to give that a go at the weekend when it hit's the shelves here!

d+pad

Dammit, I totally screwed up the Harvest Festival. Will I mess anything up if I, er, time travel, get the furniture and then time travel back to the present time? I don't want to wait a whole year :(

Koomaster

d+pad said:
Dammit, I totally screwed up the Harvest Festival. Will I mess anything up if I, er, time travel, get the furniture and then time travel back to the present time? I don't want to wait a whole year :(
You shouldn't have any problem going back a few days. But then it would probably be good to time travel ahead day by day when you are finished so a favorite animal neighbor doesn't move out - just go to their house and make sure they haven't packed any boxes. Also water any flowers you want to save that are wilted each day. You will also get a few days of weeds when you make it back to the present as well. But it's not going to glitch your game.

It might also rot any turnips you may have bought - not sure about that though. But you'll make more selling extra Harvest furniture than you would have gotten from the turnips more than likely.

Anyway, the mayor asks you to deliver silverware and Franklin shows up 3pm on the 27th; so that is your starting place. Good luck! :)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Weak the Amazon deal isn't up even though it was a friday through monday one.

I was going to get back into this game after the abortion that was AC : WW (DS).

Koomaster

Is everyone ready for winter? Time to pull those winter clothes out of their boxes in your attic... or shop for new sweaters! I hear Able Sisters will be getting some new ones in stock this month...

RUU_0405.jpg

How about 'Gran's Snowman' - a sweater you could swear your grandma knitted herself!

RUU_0406.jpg

This new sweater just arrived in the Able Sisters shops today; expect more comfy designs as the month goes on.

RUU_0407.jpg

Can also double as a flag!

bryehn

bengraven said:
I hate those FUCKING commercials.

Only middle aged women can playing AC apparently.

Heheh, those women are in their 30s. Hardly middle-aged these days. Unless of course you're 15...

I don't like the ads either, but let's face it; most Animal Crossing fans (and there's millions) were already going to buy this game. I'm a 31 year-old dude with a 24 year-old girlwife and we bought our Wii because we knew there would be an Animal Crossing (and Fire Emblem). We actually bought a second DS when Wild World was released, bought a GBA when we started playing Animal Crossing GCN. I'm sure we aren't alone. Animal Crossing fans buy Animal Crossing.

Selling the moms of 8-10 year-old fans on the franchise seems like the only way it will see growth at this point so I can totally see where they are coming from.

I Definitely miss the GCN ad campaign though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZodbYCoMyE&feature=related

Genius.

edit: Come to think of it, the current ads (I've seen 2) remind me of the japanese Wild World ads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXJVmjhWjes

Valtox

Sorry guys,
I have a question for who owns the game.
How do you connect your DS village to the Wii version?
Do you tranfer everything before starting a new game on Wii, or you can do it even later in the game?
I'd be glad to connect my old save on the DS, but I don't have the cart with me now.
So I'd like to know what to do before starting the game on 12/5 when it come to EU.
It would be boring having to start all over again to get my full DS inventory.
Thanks

Koomaster

Valtox said:
Sorry guys,
I have a question for who owns the game.
How do you connect your DS village to the Wii version?
Do you tranfer everything before starting a new game on Wii, or you can do it even later in the game?
I'd be glad to connect my old save on the DS, but I don't have the cart with me now.
So I'd like to know what to do before starting the game on 12/5 when it come to EU.
It would be boring having to start all over again to get my full DS inventory.
Thanks
When you start up the game, it will ask if you want to start over fresh, or if you want to bring along your DS briefcase (or something like that).

For the DS briefcase, the game tells you to put the game in your DS, and then turn on the system. Don't start up the game, it'll tell you to go into DS Download to download the program City Folk sends. It will get your character info (you choose which character if you have more than 1 on your DS game) and then send it to City Folk. None of your info from Wild World is damaged or altered, you'll still be able to play as the character you sent to City Folk.

When you move into town in City Folk, you'll have your DS character's looks, hair and face. You will also have your 'Nook's Catalogue' available from the Tom Nook in City Folk.

The Catalogue won't be as complete as the one from the DS version, unbuyable items from the Wild World Nook won't even be listed with the City Folk Nook - stuff like gyroids, fossils, and special seasonal furniture. Anything that was listed as 'Not For Sale'. Also paintings won't be listed either.

However, if you donated to Boondocks in Wild World and got those feathers they send, you'll be able to buy them from Nook in City Folk.

Hope that helps.

Koomaster

I feel like I'm dominating this thread, posting too much. I hope no one minds, I get really excited about Animal Crossing. ^___^;;

I got inspired tonight and made more winter designs for Able Sisters to sell...

RUU_0412.jpg

The first one didn't take me very long at all, maybe 10 minutes. Just a nice little christmas tree design. I wanted the star and ornaments to be a little brighter, but the only suitable color pallet was this one. Still I think it turned out well, a more muted look.

RUU_0414.jpg

The second one took way longer; I probably spent an hour alone messing with geometric designs for the large snowflake trying to get it perfect. I could hear the in-game clock chime two different times while I was working on it. :lol

RUU_0415.jpg

After the large snowflake was finished I had to do the smaller snowflakes, which took some time to wrap them all the way around the front and back of the design. Then had to increase their size for the sleeves, getting that right so when they shrunk, they'd look the same size as the rest of the snowflakes. A pretty complicated task overall, but I'm pretty happy about how it turned out.

RUU_0418.jpg

It even makes a great umbrella pattern!

RUU_0422.jpg

Able Sisters will be carrying my entire winter line of sweaters in the morning for all my neighbors to buy. :D

D-Pad

^ Those are pretty sweet!

I wish the Able Sisters showcased more than eight designs, I'm also making some crazy awesome shirts!

stilgar

Koomaster said:
I feel like I'm dominating this thread, posting too much. I hope no one minds, I get really excited about Animal Crossing. ^___^;;

Thanks for posting, because it´s awesome.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
hmm comes out tomorrow in Australia and I am on the fence about this one.

Loved AC on both the GC and DS, however, I don't feel like Nintendo ever added anything to replace the NES games they removed in WW.

D-Pad

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm not missing a way to copy existing regular designs to the four parts of a Pro design, am I?

You can edit the regular design in the tailor and then drag the main pattern to another part of the shirt to copy it, if that's what you mean?

Wizpig

Let's see: i'm lazy and i don't have the time to check the whole topic, but this is a really, really, really important question for me:
If i buy PAL City Folk [well, Let's go to the city] can i link my US copy of Wild World DS?
Anyone tried this?
Or read about it elsewhere?

d+pad

Koomaster said:

You're definitely not posting too much. Keep it up! :)

Also, I'm jealous of your shirt-making prowess. I might have to steal one of your designs and make it for myself!

D-Pad said:
You can edit the regular design in the tailor and then drag the main pattern to another part of the shirt to copy it, if that's what you mean?
I was working on separate parts using the free edit tool, but now that I've got them how I want them it seems I need to recreate them in a Pro design session.

Valtox

Koomaster said:
When you start up the game, it will ask if you want to start over fresh, or if you want to bring along your DS briefcase (or something like that).

For the DS briefcase, the game tells you to put the game in your DS, and then turn on the system. Don't start up the game, it'll tell you to go into DS Download to download the program City Folk sends. It will get your character info (you choose which character if you have more than 1 on your DS game) and then send it to City Folk. None of your info from Wild World is damaged or altered, you'll still be able to play as the character you sent to City Folk.

When you move into town in City Folk, you'll have your DS character's looks, hair and face. You will also have your 'Nook's Catalogue' available from the Tom Nook in City Folk.

The Catalogue won't be as complete as the one from the DS version, unbuyable items from the Wild World Nook won't even be listed with the City Folk Nook - stuff like gyroids, fossils, and special seasonal furniture. Anything that was listed as 'Not For Sale'. Also paintings won't be listed either.

However, if you donated to Boondocks in Wild World and got those feathers they send, you'll be able to buy them from Nook in City Folk.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, you helped me a lot.
After posting I've seen a video about this matter on Nintendo Channel, but after reading your post it's completely clear that if I want my (almost) complete catalogue I'll have my parents to send me the cart XD
I miss the possibility to create a new character tough :(
Thanks, and keep posting your creations! :)

Koomaster

Thanks for the nice words everyone! :)

JoshuaJSlone said:
I was working on separate parts using the free edit tool, but now that I've got them how I want them it seems I need to recreate them in a Pro design session.
I don't think there is any way to combine 4 seperate designs into a pro-design. You'll probably just have to pick the most complex pattern and make that a pro-design so you don't have to re-create that, then redo the other 3 pieces. :(

Here are even MORE winter designs from me.
I think I might just be hooked on the winter theme. :D

RUU_0441.jpg

This was a nice simple design, just a candy cane and a present. It looks a little messed up on the grid, but like all my designs, I try to make it look good when worn. You can see the candy cane looks a lot better in the upper left corner; on the preview model, where it's stretched and anti-aliased. :)

RUU_0444.jpg

It's Rudolph! He seriously took me all of 5 minutes; I was surprised at how fast I was able to freehand him. What took a long time was the sweater background pattern since each of the white crosses weren't in any sort of line where I could knock a bunch out really quickly.

RUU_0445.jpg

The whole winter line-up so far! I moved the snowflake sweater to the umbrella patterns since it makes a nice umbrella.

RUU_0448.jpg

The candy cane and present sweater also surprisingly makes a nice umbrella as well!

RUU_0450.jpg

Neighbors are starting to catch on to the new winter clothes available. Here is Boomer stretching out the snowflake sweater.

RUU_0457.jpg

Oh Roald, I don't think that design was meant to be stretched like that. :lol

I don't really want to go through this whole thing, so sorry if this has been answered before.

Does this game have a lot of new stuff from the other games? My gf played the GC and DS versions into the ground but thinks she wants to pass on this one because it doesn't add anything new. Is that true? Is the furniture new? Clothes? Fossils/fish? Or is it just the same exact game but with a city added in (that basically just puts all of the fun scheduled visitors into a static place)?

Koomaster

SnakeswithLasers said:
I don't really want to go through this whole thing, so sorry if this has been answered before.

Does this game have a lot of new stuff from the other games? My gf played the GC and DS versions into the ground but thinks she wants to pass on this one because it doesn't add anything new. Is that true? Is the furniture new? Clothes? Fossils/fish? Or is it just the same exact game but with a city added in (that basically just puts all of the fun scheduled visitors into a static place)?
There are some new furniture pieces and whole sets - but it's mixed in with all the previous furniture from the past two games. So not everything is new - same with clothes. There are also new bugs/fish/fossils/paintings - but again, they are mixed in with the old stuff. So you WILL be doing a lot of the same collecting as before.

Not every visitor is in the city; Wendel, Sahara, and Pascal still come to town that I've seen, and I assume Chip will be back for fishing competitions. And you'll get seasonal visitors back that were in the gamecube; plus there was reports of a new one for around Easter time.

Anyway, as a whole it's not a NEW game. It's the same old Animal Crossing, just with a lot of improvements here and there that add up the more you play. There is new stuff to do and discover, but you'll also be seeing the same stuff from previous games as well.

If she can find it for rent, it wouldn't hurt to check it out and see if she could get into the game again. I think for old animal crossing fans it will be polarized between; 'Been there, seen that.' and 'I really like how they improved that feature and added that other thing.'

SnakeswithLasers said:

It's preeeetty close to Wild World. The OP says there are 25% new items, but most will look very familiar. The city doesn't completely replace the regular visitors, though. Wendell still comes around looking for fish, and I haven't figured out what this beaver who will show up, talk, and float down the river is all about.

But if someone's fear is that it will be too similar, it's a very valid one. If I were slightly less a series devotee I'd pass.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I haven't figured out what this beaver who will show up, talk, and float down the river is all about.

He wants scallops you can find washed ashore on the beach and will trade for awesome stuff

^^^

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it along. She spent SO much time with the other ones that I think she'll like this (plus I like picking weeds for some reason), but she is pretty convinced that she doesn't want to do everything over again, again.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So I have never had any interest in Animal Crossing before, but I am buying my parents a Wii for Christmas and so have a few questions about the WiFi interaction in Animal Crossing as I see this as a potentially good way of keeping in touch with my parents.
I am in the US and my parents are in the UK is there any region locking of content/interaction?
Because of the time difference we will rarely be online at the same time, what non-instantaneous interaction is there?
Will people in their 60's like this game?

TJ Spyke

Koomaster said:
Not every visitor is in the city; Wendel, Sahara, and Pascal still come to town that I've seen, and I assume Chip will be back for fishing competitions. And you'll get seasonal visitors back that were in the gamecube; plus there was reports of a new one for around Easter time.

Chip is indeed back, he hosts fishing competitions one Saturday per month from October-May (June-September has a bug catching contest instead).

Franklin pissed me off. I wasn't able to get the entire set because he kept repeating the items he gave me (I ended up getting 2 copies of about 6 items).

poppabk said:
Because of the time difference we will rarely be online at the same time, what non-instantaneous interaction is there?
Once you visit someone's town (or vice-versa), you'll be able to send them letters through the post office, which can include items. That's about it. Animals will sometimes mention specific other cities, but that's not interaction.
Will people in their 60's like this game?
Will people in their 20s like this game? Really depends. I've got a friend who somehow turned his aunts and even grandma into item-trading Animal Crossing Wild World nuts.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
JoshuaJSlone said:
Once you visit someone's town (or vice-versa), you'll be able to send them letters through the post office, which can include items. That's about it. Animals will sometimes mention specific other cities, but that's not interaction.

Will people in their 20s like this game? Really depends. I've got a friend who somehow turned his aunts and even grandma into item-trading Animal Crossing Wild World nuts.
Thanks for the responses.
I guess I mean is the game playable for true "non-gamers"? Ie My parents, who approach the internet with trepidation and who are proud of their attachment sending skills.

Koomaster

Lord Helmet said:
I haaaaaateeee peaches.... must destroy all native fruits.
21jnle8.jpg
Wow, this pic is pretty sinister looking with the dark clouds and the castle, then the weirdness of all the peaches all over the ground. :lol

Excellent stuff!

I have peaches as my native fruit as well, luckily coconuts seem to wash up on my beach a few times a week so I have a whole coconut grove which makes me a good deal of bells.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Updated the Review section with IGN UK's review (8.0 / 10) and the latest aggregate scores (MetaC: 73%, GR: 74%), which are up from before.

Nice work guys, keep it up. :)

Koomaster said:
Wow, this pic is pretty sinister looking with the dark clouds and the castle, then the weirdness of all the peaches all over the ground. :lol
Not to mention the Pedobear flag... :lol

Top Bottom