• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official BOHICA? Black Xbox 360 W/HDMI, 120GB HD Coming Late April

I hereby dub the $479 elite version, Chad Warden "BALLIN"-approved

dat black tre' six-o in the escalade would look NIIICE. even he won't be able to hate on it anymore.

sega4ever

With my 360 on a death watch, I wonder if I could hold out till the new and improved premium comes out and if I can just use my MS extended warrenty to have it replaced with that one.

Jtyettis said:
I'm probably going to upgrade but I want to know exactley what is going to be in the box. Down to the papers. Anyhow I guess I could get the 180 120gig HDD, but I want the whole package. I've already started building my in-store credit at eb games, once I sale everything I shouldn't have to fork over too much.
$180!!!! THAT IS HOW MUCH THE HDD IS?

FrankT

snack said:
$180!!!! THAT IS HOW MUCH THE HDD IS?

According to deadly monk. I believe he said he works at Gamestop. On a post on the previous page he said 179.99, I'm guessing he got this info today.

1-D_FTW

BCD2 said:
That makes a little more sense. A limited run before the 65nm go into production.

The bold part is interesting though. Will the Premium keep the Elite price tag too? That can't be right. Maybe the price cut & 65nm chips will be coming on the heels of this limited run. I mean how long can it take to sell black ones out? "Late Summer/Fall" seems too long.

Maybe they'll just keep manufacturing Elites until they are ready to price drop. In that case it will end up being quite a bit more than a couple hundred thousand, don't you think?

Or it's highly possible the black elites do have the 65nm chips in them. There's a lot of Premiums sitting in the channels right now. This allows them to slowly ramp up 65nm production, and by the time the Premium stock is finally sold off, the 65nm line will be running full steam.

FrankT

1-D_FTW said:
Or it's highly possible the black elites do have the 65nm chips in them. There's a lot of Premiums sitting in the channels right now. This allows them to slowly ramp up 65nm production, and by the time the Premium stock is finally sold off, the 65nm line will be running full steam.

Yea, that would be nice, even if they're in limited quantities at first. The question on this remains open from the way engadget put it.

GhaleonEB

Jtyettis said:
Yea, that would be nice, even if they're in limited quantities at first. The question on this remains open from the way engadget put it.
I think everyone is just trying to stitch together the forest when all they are getting to see is the occasional tree. Manufacturing a new SKU is a lot harder to keep quiet than pricing and SKU configuration details, since those can be dropped with much shorter notice. I get the impression that everyone is just trying to figure out how this new SKU fits into the existing mix but don't have anything solid in that department.

1-D_FTW

Plus, it would then allow them to drop the price of the white Elite to 399.99 when all the current Premiums were sold off (If they wanted to)... without having to deal with the whole price drop issue. A 479.99 black Elite would be different than a 399.99 white Elite and retailers could tell customers to sit and spin when they came back for a price adjustment.

1-D_FTW said:
Last I heard, the production of 65nm chips was pushed back from Q1 to "mid-'07". That was a while ago. so things may have changed. That's kind of why I was surprised to hear about the black Elite shipping so soon. It just seems like strange timing. The channels are being cleared, so maybe the 65nm make it into all 360 sooner then this Fall. Maybe they are ready now which would make more sense, but I would have thought we would have heard about it already.

GhaleonEB

1-D_FTW said:
Plus, it would then allow them to drop the price of the white Elite to 399.99 when all the current Premiums were sold off (If they wanted to)... without having to deal with the whole price drop issue. A 479.99 black Elite would be different than a 399.99 white Elite and retailers could tell customers to sit and spin when they came back for a price adjustment.

1-D_FTW said:

BCD2 said:
Last I heard, the production of 65nm chips was pushed back from Q1 to "mid-'07". That was a while ago. so things may have changed. That's kind of why I was surprised to hear about the black Elite shipping so soon. It just seems like strange timing. The channels are being cleared, so maybe the 65nm make it into all 360 sooner then this Fall. Maybe they are ready now which would make more sense, but I would have thought we would have heard about it already.
You know, coming back from the OT where politics are raging right now, I had a different take on the terms "black elites" and "white elites". Microsoft may want to rethink the name of the high-end SKU. :lol

iamblades

I wish they would just hurry up with the revision, That's what I've been waiting on for about 4 months to pull the trigger on a 360 finally.

You listening MS? 65 nm with HDMI and a bigger HD and you got a sale.

Actually I'd probably buy it with just 65 nm, but I'd prefer the bigger HD, HDMI I can take or leave (component is good enough for me, as both of my HDTVs only take 1080i, and I have no HDMI audio gear), but I see no reason that shouldn't be in the revision as well.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
April
Elite: $479 (HDMI + 120 Gig + 65nm?)
Premium: $379 (20 Gig, old model)
Core: $299
20 Gig --> $70
120 Gig --> $159

September
Elite: $449
Premium: $349 (20 gig, 65nm)
Core: $269 (65 nm)

Maximize profits and create a little spike in sales twice before the holidays and in time for Halo 3. In '08, Microsoft could release a slimmed down version of the 360 along with additional price drops. Microsoft is really in the driver's seat right now.

FrankT

soul creator said:
wait, "Elite" version? Halo tie-in confirmed!

Hmm, that new Halo Live card due at the end of April I believe could certainly be a tie-in as well. Throw one in the box MS.

GhaleonEB

open_mouth_ said:
April
Elite: $479 (HDMI + 120 Gig + 65nm?)
Premium: $379 (20 Gig, old model)
Core: $299
20 Gig --> $70
120 Gig --> $159

September
Elite: $449
Premium: $349 (20 gig, 65nm)
Core: $269 (65 nm)

Maximize profits and create a little spike in sales twice before the holidays and in time for Halo 3. In '08, Microsoft could release a slimmed down version of the 360 along with additional price drops. Microsoft is really in the driver's seat right now.
I am thinking something along those lines, but I don't see a two-step drop on the existing systems. I think it's more likely we'll the drops at the same time the Elite system hits, with the black version being limited edition and possibly bundled with some other incentive to justify the higher introductory price. So something like:

April
Black Elite: $479 (HDMI + 120 Gig + 65nm + some other incentive)
Premium: $299 (20 Gig)
Core: $229
20 Gig --> $80
120 Gig --> $180

September
White Elite: $399 (HDMI + 120 Gig + 65nm)
20 Gig --> $80
120 Gig --> $180

All three go 65 nm as soon as possible, due to the cost advantage.

Going to be fun to watch pan out, that's for sure.

thmst30

WickedLaharl said:
Wow $179 for the 120 gb hdd is a really good price. If true I congratulate MS for getting it to the market at such a low price.
:lol :lol :lol :lol PLEASE tell me you aren't serious.

GhaleonEB said:
You know, coming back from the OT where politics are raging right now, I had a different take on the terms "black elites" and "white elites". Microsoft may want to rethink the name of the high-end SKU. :lol
Well, come this Fall we can just start calling all of them White Elites, but for anyone who buys this summer, we could have a problem.

Clayton-Bigsby.gif

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
SO HERE COMES THE BIG QUESTION GAF:

How am I going to move my content from my 20GB HDD to the new 120GB HDD? My saves, my gamertag (which is accessible through the internet, I know), my XBLA games, my downloaded game content?

I'm probably going to have to download them all over again, huh? ....... What about my game saves? I can't just "download" those again...

dirtmonkey37 said:

How am I going to move my content from my 20GB HDD to the new 120GB HDD? My saves, my gamertag (which is accessible through the internet, I know), my XBLA games, my downloaded game content?

I'm probably going to have to download them all over again, huh? ....... What about my game saves? I can't just "download" those again...

I'll let you rent my memory card for $20

dirtmonkey37 said:

Here is my guess.

A USB adapter is included, and a software download from Xbox Live allows you to transfer stuff from your old hard drive.

soco

aparisi2274 said:
I got this off engadget.com:
* Eventually Elite hardware (in white plastics) will take the role of the Xbox Premium. That is to say, after the Elite is launched and sold out, future Xbox Premiums will have 120GB / HDMI.

so if everyone just waits it out and lets the tards buy up the 'leet ones in a month or two we'll get all the same features for 80$ less in white?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Here is my guess.

A USB adapter is included, and a software download from XBLA allows you to transfer stuff from your old hard drive.

That's what I was also thinking: Microsoft would provide a small USB adaptor with every 120GB HDD. That way, there would be no concerns with people and their previously downloaded content.

And considering rumors indicating that the next dashboard update will unbind content from your 360, based on serial number of course, XBLA games should not introduce any unforseen issues (i.e. you can play your newly transfered XBLA game without being logged into XBL)

raYne

dirtmonkey37 said:
Yep, that's the question. I don't care about the larger HDD at all, but unless MS has a planned workaround for that stuff it's pretty much useless for current owners.

Still, there is already a 3rd party workaround (already posted in the thread) for transfering things from one HDD to another. So MS themselves should have something similar... and which comes with the large HDD.

Son of Godzilla said:
I'll let you rent my memory card for $20
Not all saves are transferable to memorycards...

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
soco said:
so if everyone just waits it out and lets the tards buy up the 'leet ones in a month or two we'll get all the same features for 80$ less in white?

I think it means that the new "PREMIUM" will be the $480 "Elite" and the old 20GB premium will be the new $300 dollar "Core" system.

So, yes, in theory there will be a greater range in price between the new "CORE" and "PREMIUM" SKUs.

raYne said:
Yep, that's the question. I don't care about the larger HDD at all, but unless MS has a planned workaround for that stuff it's pretty much useless for current owners.

Still, there is already a 3rd party workaround (already posted in the thread) for transferring things from one HDD to another. So MS themselves should have something similar... and which comes with the large HDD.

Not all saves are transferrable to memorycards...

one could probably work around the save game issue if they still own the game.

I'm assuming due to the core system, every game has to at the very least recognize the memory card as a valid save game device. So one could boot up the game, and then in between "checkpoints", change the save location to memory card. Next time the game trys to autosave, it should go on the memory card instead. I think.

I remember doing this trick with PDZ. Of course, this is a bit of a hassle. Especially with Team Ninja games for some reason (why is Itagaki so strict about save files? lol)

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
raYne said:

Still, there is already a 3rd party workaround (already posted in the thread) for transfering things from one HDD to another. So MS themselves should have something similar... and which comes with the large HDD.

Not all saves are transferable to memorycards...

The thing is, I should not have to buy another peripheral to allow me to transfer data between the HDD's. I'm paying $500 (assuming I do) for this ultimate package, and oh, oops, I can't transfer any off my stuff over....

In an environment where premium content, community, and identity are impertive, it would be suicide to not give users the option of moving their materials over from their previous "canvas." (how's poetness for a change?)

Matix

Why in the **** is the Elite-Black 360 model limited?! I was planning on purchasing this version (would totally blend in with my sleek home decor), but probably would wait to later on in the year (Fall - Winter 2007). Mainly because I just bought a Premium 360 (with an extended warranty), and I wanted to at least get a bit of use out of the $470+ I spent on it (before selling the damn thing on Ebay for cheap). So now I have to either rush and auction this shit on Ebay (for probably $100 less than I paid), or miss out on teh black hot 360 sex (**** ME) !!

soco

dirtmonkey37 said:
I think it means that the new "PREMIUM" will be the $480 "Elite" and the old 20GB premium will be the new $300 dollar "Core" system.

So, yes, in theory there will be a greater range in price between the new "CORE" and "PREMIUM" SKUs.

hmmm that's a possibility, but either way, getting white is worth the wait.

mood

GhaleonEB said:
I am thinking something along those lines, but I don't see a two-step drop on the existing systems. I think it's more likely we'll the drops at the same time the Elite system hits, with the black version being limited edition and possibly bundled with some other incentive to justify the higher introductory price. So something like:

April
20 Gig --> $80
120 Gig --> $180

September
20 Gig --> $80
120 Gig --> $180

Jesus, that would be the smartest thing MS could do.

Matix

Also I wouldn't be really shocked if the Elite models don't offer built-in WiFi, since for some ****ing reason HD gaming consoles are like the new Desktop PCs (which have been absent of standard internal wireless connectivity for too00 ****ing long).

raYne

dirtmonkey37 said:
The thing is, I should not have to buy another peripheral to allow me to transfer data between the HDD's. I'm paying $500 (assuming I do) for this ultimate package, and oh, oops, I can't transfer any off my stuff over....
Oh I agree. The only reason I brought up the 3rd party product was to show that there are indeed ways to transfer the content.

That's also why I mentioned that it'd probably be something that came with the larger HDD. Cable, Adapter, Live server workaround... something.

soul creator said:
one could probably work around the save game issue if they still own the game.

I'm assuming due to the core system, every game has to at the very least recognize the memory card as a valid save game device. So one could boot up the game, and then in between "checkpoints", change the save location to memory card. Next time the game trys to autosave, it should go on the memory card instead. I think.

I remember doing this trick with PDZ. Of course, this is a bit of a hassle. Especially with Team Ninja games for some reason (why is Itagaki so strict about save files? lol)
Screw that... I'm lazy. :lol

Nick

I will be getting this Xbox Elite. Sounds awesome, and I love the color black like my hearrrrtttt.

No seriously, I'm really amped for this. I think it sounds great, and a much better purchase than a "Wee" or a "Pee Ess Three".

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
GhaleonEB said:

April
20 Gig --> $80
120 Gig --> $180

September
20 Gig --> $80
120 Gig --> $180

That would be horrible. You don't want to elicit confusion in the consumer's mind when releasing a revision of a product.

Too bad it is what will most likely occur in the coming months. Well, good luck Microsoft. I'll do my part if I sense some ambiguity as to what the difference is between your SKUs while in my local gamestop, but that's all I can do. Clearing up the nebulous feeling in consumers when they too encounter this new SKU is up to you.

Raistlin

So let me get this straight ...

The black elite model is a limited production unit, and will not end up with 65nm components??

If correct ... wtf MS. Why the hell do we have to choose between stable HW, and the color we want.

>_<

FrankT

Onix said:
So let me get this straight ...

The black elite model is a limited production unit, and will not end up with 65nm components??

If correct ... wtf MS. Why the hell do we have to choose between stable HW, and the color we want.

>_<

Uhm, there is no confirmation on 65nm either way, engadget says, not sure at this time.

GhaleonEB

dirtmonkey37 said:
That would be horrible. You don't want to elicit confusion in the consumer's mind when releasing a revision of a product.

Too bad it is what will most likely occur in the coming months. Well, good luck Microsoft. I'll do my part if I sense some ambiguity as to what the difference is between your SKUs while in my local gamestop, but that's all I can do. Clearing up the nebulous feeling in consumers when they too encounter this new SKU is up to you.
I don't think it's ideal - the best thing to do is a swift, one-time drop at the same time the new SKU drops, then keep the landscape static for a while. The last thing they want to do is create uncertainty around prices and configurations in the market. I was just pointing out how that would be preferable to dropping prices a little in the spring, then again in the fall on all three SKUs, which would be really bad.

spwolf

dirtmonkey37 said:

he is just making things up that sound interesting to him...

MaX_PL

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
Aside from some minor upgrades and costing more money, I really dont see the need to upgrade the system... Right now HDMI is the only plus for me... The system still doesnt have wifi, it still does not have an HD drive in it. I am sure the 120gb HDD will be sold seperately at some point, and why though, does anyone here think they will use more than 60gb worth of space?

I am going to pass on it, and just wait for the true upgrade with the HD drive and bells and whistles we have come to expect....

so i take it youre never planning to own an xbox 360?

a true upgrade with an HD drive is never coming. sorry.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
GhaleonEB said:
I don't think it's ideal - the best thing to do is a swift, one-time drop at the same time the new SKU drops, then keep the landscape static for a while. The last thing they want to do is create uncertainty around prices and configurations in the market. I was just pointing out how that would be preferable to dropping prices a little in the spring, then again in the fall on all three SKUs, which would be really bad.

Oh, I got'cha now.

MaX_PL

Banned
snack said:
I was just wondering, how many of you are actually going to sell your 360 for this?

I sure as hell am not. I have no problems with my 360, and I will gladly pick up a 120GB HDD when it is available at retail if it is priced fairly. HDMI would be great to have, but I just don't see the need for me to sell my Xbox 360 just to pay for a slightly better one.

if the HDD is 179 or 199 then i might aswell just get the elite.

kinds senseless getting a HDD for half the cost of the unit itself.

MaX_PL

Banned
soco said:

not tards, we're gonna be leet black while your november 2005 white.

if this had HDDVD built in i'd upgrade in a heartbeat. But as is, i'll probably pass. If its a nice shiny black though, it'd be tempting. The white 360 stands out like a b-word in my tv setup. A slotloading drive would have put me over the top. Yes, im shallow like a mother****er.

Barnolde

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
if this had HDDVD built in i'd upgrade in a heartbeat. But as is, i'll probably pass. If its a nice shiny black though, it'd be tempting. The white 360 stands out like a b-word in my tv setup. A slotloading drive would have put me over the top. Yes, im shallow like a mother****er.

HD DVD will never be built in, because a) it won't be used for games and b) it's ****ing dead!

So all the rumors were true about Zephyr, how shocking.

If it comes out in April/May I think it's predating 65nm by at least a month. Sucks and thus makes it completely uninteresting for me.

Top Bottom