• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official BOHICA? Black Xbox 360 W/HDMI, 120GB HD Coming Late April

Dachande

Goddammit, I hope this isn't limited and US only. I want to buy a 360 in a month or two, but if there's a new revision of some kind coming out, I want that one. I want the full whack, the whole lot. What's the point of getting anything less?

Just got back from work. Glad you don't know where I work!

Seems to go :

$179.99 for 120 GB HD

$479 for new HDMI 360 (Reservations unlikely)

No Core price drop. The $229 stickers and placeholders are for Wii's that are coming in this weekend.

Will be official on or around the 29th of March and released before the end of May. They're not making it too big of a deal until there are real price drops this Christmas for Core and Premium. Black is a limited color so if you care, pick it up before December.

FrankT

Deadly Monk said:
Just got back from work. Glad you don't know where I work!

Seems to go :

$179.99 for 120 GB HD

$479 for new HDMI 360 (Reservations unlikely)

No Core price drop. The $229 stickers and placeholders are for Wii's that are coming in this weekend.

Will be official on or around the 29th of March and released before the end of May. They're not making it too big of a deal until there are real price drops this Christmas for Core and Premium. Black is a limited color so if you care, pick it up before December.

Jeez why no reservations if this thing is limited edition. And oh, March 29th, who would have thought. Looks like Mildew was right, he seriously need an appropriate tag, MS Insider or something.

I don't like it. Pricing a new model for higher than the original is lame. I realize it offers more than the white 360, but it'd be like Nintendo charging 179.99 for the DS Lite when it came out. Either way, I'll be perfectly happy with my white 360 unless it craps out on me in a couple months.

I have been on the verge of buying a 360 for a month now. This thing has convinced me to say the course. I cannot believe they still don't have wifi included in the damn thing. $100 for an adaptor is the most absurd up-sell ever. My DS Lite costs $130 and includes wifi.

Xenon

StrikerObi said:
I have been on the verge of buying a 360 for a month now. This thing has convinced me to say the course. I cannot believe they still don't have wifi included in the damn thing. $100 for an adaptor is the most absurd up-sell ever. My DS Lite costs $130 and includes wifi.

This can not be said enough. Shit even $50 bucks for this adapter is too much!

The next version of the 360 has to have wifi included. Why give Sony a talking point for something so cheap?

Wolffen

Xenon said:
This can not be said enough. Shit even $50 bucks for this adapter is too much!

The next version of the 360 has to have wifi included. Why give Sony a talking point for something so cheap?

Part of the reason for the price is including 802.11a compatibility. Most USB wireless adapters are only 802.11b/g. 802.11a operates at 5GHz and faster speeds than 802.11b/g. Since MS was pushing streaming of HD content from XP Media Center PCs when the 360 was launched, they felt that 802.11g didn't have the bandwidth to handle stable streaming of HD content. Which may be true, depending on the setup and signal strength. Most a/b/g wireless adapters are closer to $75 than $40~60. It would have been nice if MS would have had the option of a b/g adapter for those not streaming HD content (or without 802.11a compatible routers, which I imagine few 360 owners have) for a cheaper ($50) price, but alas, they didn't do that. Meanwhile, the wifi adapter in the PS3 is b/g only (which makes a hell of a lot more sense, given that's what 90% of all wifi consumer routers sold before this year support).

akenatone

I am not interested in the new config. I already have a 360. I don't need the extra space since i don't download any movies or xbla games. And the hdmi is worthless if it doesn't have hd-dvd playback. Playing games in 720p is enough. I don't see what the 1080p games hoopla is all about; there hasn't been any game to do the 1080p showcase yet.

akenatone said:
I am not interested in the new config. I already have a 360. I don't need the extra space since i don't download any movies or xbla games. And the hdmi is worthless if it doesn't have hd-dvd playback. Playing games in 720p is enough. I don't see what the 1080p games hoopla is all about; there hasn't been any game to do the 1080p showcase yet.

What is the 1080p showcase?

akenatone

Sony uses 1080p as one of its bullet points for buying a ps3. Microsoft downplayed it in the beginning, then enabled it. And there hasn't been a game that looks vastly superior in 1080p than 720p. So ultimately, one can argue that 1080p is beneficial so far for ps3 users who watch blue ray movies, and owners of the hd-dvd add on.
The way things are looking right now, 720p is the sweet spot for gaming.

akenatone said:

Not to mention that you can get 1080p through VGA, and pretty much all Full HD sets I've seen accept 1080p through VGA.

Last time these rumours surfaced I said I'd believe it when I've seen it. I still say that.

April release and still no stock in retailers, still no word leaked from Redmond or a Wal-Mart employee who can't keep their mouths shut, still no photos leaked of final product/packaging? I say meh.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
How will MS respond to users who want to be able to play arcade games offline after they upgrade to the elite model? Will they give out codes freely? Or is that only if your unit actually breaks?

Also, aren't there some game saves that won't transfer to a memory card? Viva Pinata comes to mind. Moving content around could potentially be a pain in the ass for anyone who wants to do it cheaply while paying the new chip set introductory fee.

LunaticPuma said:
How will MS respond to users who want to be able to play arcade games offline after they upgrade to the elite model? Will they give out codes freely? Or is that only if your unit actually breaks?

Also, aren't there some game saves that won't transfer to a memory card? Viva Pinata comes to mind. Moving content around could potentially be a pain in the ass for anyone who wants to do it cheaply while paying the new chip set introductory fee.
All great questions. Hopefully Microsoft will answer these when they officially announce the Elite.

If the black is limited, I'm interested to see if all types of black accessories be released, and if so, if those are limited as well. I really don't want to pick up a black 360 and end up using white battery packs, white 3rd and 4th controllers, etc down the road...

Shompola

Banned
I believe it will be a limited edition much alike the crystal Xbox that was released in Europe. That is plenty of them, but they will slowly dissappear after a few months. Not like the original green Xbox that was released one year after the original Xbox launch and was indeed scarse and dissappeared pretty fast.

Meier

I'd love to upgrade, but with a 360 already, unless a KILLER trade-in is offered, I'll have to pass. I wonder if we'd be able to transfer our saves even if we did buy a second one..

Matix

scissorfight said:
If the black is limited, I'm interested to see if all types of black accessories be released, and if so, if those are limited as well. I really don't want to pick up a black 360 and end up using white battery packs, white 3rd and 4th controllers, etc down the road...

Yep, I'm worried about this BS as well. Being forced ****ed overpriced/rare Black 360 accessories on Ebay would suck donkey nuts. And it would probably be even worst if you needed to have your Black 360 replaced, only to be shoved some generic white shit instead. Hopefully Engadget has their details twisted regarding this limited release mess, or I'll just keep my premium system and throw a new black faceplate + skin on that bitch.

Matix said:
Yep, I'm worried about this BS as well. Being forced ****ed overpriced/rare Black 360 accessories on Ebay would suck donkey nuts. And it would probably be even worst if you needed to have your Black 360 replace, only to be shoved some generic white shit instead. Hopefully Engadget has their details twisted regarding this limited info, or I'll just keep my premium system and throw a new black faceplate + skin on that bitch.
I'll probably just wait for the white one with HDMI further down the line. It should be 65nm by then as well.

Shompola

Banned
Matix said:
Yep, I'm worried about this BS as well. Being forced ****ed overpriced/rare Black 360 accessories on Ebay would suck donkey nuts. And it would probably be even worst if you needed to have your Black 360 replace, only to be shoved some generic white shit instead. Hopefully Engadget has their details twisted regarding this limited info.

Well, when the green (I am not talking about the Halo box) xbox was released, they also released the controllers that was packed in with it, they even released a blue one aswell. So controllers atleast, it should not be a problem to get a black one in a store. Dunno about battery packs and such though.

FrankT

LunaticPuma said:

Just ran across this;

Rumor: Cable to transfer HDD data to Elite 360

True, the rumored black Xbox 360 Elite has yet to be officially confirmed, but we figured we'd add some more rumor logs onto our fanboy fire. Yesterday, Ben over at ars technica expressed his concern for how to transfer HDD data from his old 360 to the new Elite 360 if he were to purchase one. Not soon after Ben received a tip from a person who works at a large video game distributor (who wanted to remain anonymous) and divulged an answer to the data transfer problem ... an included cable. The tipster went on to say that,

"MS has told us that the data will be transferred via some sort of cable that will be included with the unit. The cable will also be included w/ the 120GB drive that will be sold separately (price TBD)."

Again, this is a whole basket full of rumor berries, but if it were true would it sway your opinion on a new Elite 360 purchase? A HDD to HDD data transfer cable would be a great accessory anyway and with the release of a 120GB HDD one would think it'd be a no brainer. Or maybe we're all just geniuses.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/03/21/rumor-cable-to-transfer-hd-data-to-elite-360/

Others here have suggested this route as well I'm just trying to picture exactly how this will be done.

soco

Jtyettis said:
Just ran across this;

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/03/21/rumor-cable-to-transfer-hd-data-to-elite-360/

Others here have suggested this route as well I'm just trying to pricture exactly how this will be done.

it'd be just like an external USB harddrive. they'd just create make a cradle of sorts for the harddrive and you'd plug it in and it'd copy it over. if true, it could explain some of the suppsoed cost, but i find it hard to imagine they'd include it in every one, when they could just sell it extra for the people who really need it.

soco said:
it'd be just like an external USB harddrive. they'd just create make a cradle of sorts for the harddrive and you'd plug it in and it'd copy it over. if true, it could explain some of the suppsoed cost, but i find it hard to imagine they'd include it in every one, when they could just sell it extra for the people who really need it.

It'll just be a mini USB to USB cable that plugs into the new drive and the 360 for the 10 mins it takes to copy over the data. Bus powered copy, then remove the old drive and snap on the new

Kolgar

Sweet if that cable rumor is true. I'm fine with component out (1080i to 1080p isn't a big deal to me), so I've little interest in Zephyr - but a 120GB HDD might interest me down the road.

This magic cable thingy makes the whole idea that much more attractive.

.hacked

if I can transfer my data I will get the new X360 on day one!

wait who am I kidding, I will get one anyway just for the HDMI :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
snack said:
I will not buy the new HDD if it is over $100. That is freaking absurd to charge over $100 for a 120GB SATA drive.
Here in France a 120 GB 2.5 " drive costs around 100 euros at retail. While I certainly don't agree in paying $180, a price a tad over $100 would be fair.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Blimblim said:
Here in France a 120 GB 2.5 " drive costs around 100 euros at retail. While I certainly don't agree in paying $180, a price a tad over $100 would be fair.

Well, since MS thinks that euros = dollars you will likely pay more.

If it is $199.99 then it will be 199.99 euros

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I went by my EB today and the guy there was adamant that there would be some type of special trade in. He said for a limited time (probably the first weekend) they would be offering more than the usual trade in value for swapping old 360's toward the new version. Take that as you will.

soco

The Innocent X said:
It'll just be a mini USB to USB cable that plugs into the new drive and the 360 for the 10 mins it takes to copy over the data. Bus powered copy, then remove the old drive and snap on the new

AFAIK, the drives aren't USB drives, so that won't work. there's gotta be some SATA controller around other than the one internally in the 360.

FrankT

MadOdorMachine said:
I went by my EB today and the guy there was adamant that there would be some type of special trade in. He said for a limited time (probably the first weekend) they would be offering more than the usual trade in value for swapping old 360's toward the new version. Take that as you will.

Uhm, I like the sound of that, we really need reservations though, I really hope so anyways.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Jtyettis said:
Uhm, I like the sound of that, we really need reservations though, I really hope so anyways.
Yeah, he mentioned that too. He said there weren't any reservations yet, but sounded like they would have some soon, it just hasn't been announced yet. It's happening quick though, so if you really want one, start looking into it.

Raistlin

MadOdorMachine said:

Argh. If this thing is going to be limited, I'd really like to know if it is 65nm before I hop on the bandwagon.

I would MUCH prefer black, but I just can't drop that kind of money if it is not 65nm. Just too many HW problems with the original design.

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
The funeral apparently. They had cake afterwards...
Cake? What kind?

So. Anyways. The price.

What's interesting is the rumored price of $480 slots in nicely with the existing price points of the current SKUs.

-$480 for 120 GB Elite
-$400 for 20 GB Premium
-$300 for Core

If they come in with the Elite and drop the price on the others, the Elite will offer a disproportionately low value - it's just a bigger HDD (and HDMI, which will presumably become standard in the other SKUs). But if they don't drop the price when it comes out, the price drop will come later in the year. Then MS will be both releasing a new SKU and dropping the price on it in the same ~6 month window, a sure way to piss off everyone who buys it.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Onix said:
Argh. If this thing is going to be limited, I'd really like to know if it is 65nm before I hop on the bandwagon.

I would MUCH prefer black, but I just can't drop that kind of money if it is not 65nm. Just too many HW problems with the original design.
I know what you mean man. I don't know if people are holding out or if Microsoft just hasn't released all the details, but the chip size (and build quality in general) is a bigger factor for me than having a black one with a bigger hard drive. I guess my concern about these new models are whether or not Microsoft has addressed the issues that have been happening to the earlier renditions.

Wait a minute, $479, limited edition with no HD DVD? Now that is not a good price point If true. You can get a 20gb PS# for just a bit more with wireless and Blu Ray if thats your thing. MS also said they would make HDMI available If there was demand, this is how they would do it?

You want HDMI, sell your 360 and good luck trying to find a limited edition black 360 which we are overcharging for.

watership

jhferry said:
Wait a minute, $479, limited edition with no HD DVD? Now that is not a good price point If true. You can get a 20gb PS# for just a bit more with wireless and Blu Ray if thats your thing. MS also said they would make HDMI available If there was demand, this is how they would do it?

You want HDMI, sell your 360 and good luck trying to find a limited edition black 360 which we are overcharging for.

Oh come on. When was the last time you saw a 20 GB PS3? They are rarer than the CORE Xbox 360. Every retailer has 60 GB units in, but the 20 GB is almost a myth. I wonder if Sony just created the SKU to make the PS3 seem less of a megaton.

Top Bottom