• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official BOHICA? Black Xbox 360 W/HDMI, 120GB HD Coming Late April

jhferry said:
Wait a minute, $479, limited edition with no HD DVD? Now that is not a good price point If true. You can get a 20gb PS# for just a bit more with wireless and Blu Ray if thats your thing. MS also said they would make HDMI available If there was demand, this is how they would do it?

You want HDMI, sell your 360 and good luck trying to find a limited edition black 360 which we are overcharging for.
the 20GB doesn't have wireless built in.

Does the Elite come with wireless? And if not, do I have to get raped with that $100 Official Wireless Adapter or can I just go out get a third-party one?

watership said:
Oh come on. When was the last time you saw a 20 GB PS3? They are rarer than the CORE Xbox 360. Every retailer has 60 GB units in, but the 20 GB is almost a myth. I wonder if Sony just created the SKU to make the PS3 seem less of a megaton.

You may be right but that kind of price jack for a port that should have been there, and was promised "If there was a need" and a larger hard drive is a rip off.

There has to be an upgrade plan or this is BS

Red Blaster said:
Does the Elite come with wireless? And if not, do I have to get raped with that $100 Official Wireless Adapter or can I just go out get a third-party one?

any ethernet-based wireless bridge will work on a 360 (or any other ethernet capable device for that matter)

the only quirk is that you may have to configure things using a PC before using it on a console.

GhaleonEB

jhferry said:
You may be right but that kind of price jack for a port that should have been there, and was promised "If there was a need" and a larger hard drive is a rip off.

There has to be an upgrade plan or this is BS
As you said, it's a port (that not many use right now) and a bigger HDD. Why should there be an updgrade plan? I think the number of people who would want to upgraded their system for HDMI (since you can just buy the HDD) is very, very small.

I've got an HDTV with HDMI and I don't feel even the slightest need to upgrade. The 360 output via component is excellent. My PS3 via HDMI looks the teeniest bit crisper but only up close and only in stuff like menus. In normal gameplay at normal viewing distances there's nothing worth upgrading for, IMO.

Now, if you have a 1080p set that can only take 1080p via HDMI it could maybe be worth it eventually, but I wouldn't buy a new 360 just to play one tennis game in native 1080p. 720p still looks like the sweet spot this generation anyway.

duk

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
They say it's official, but there is no new information in it, nor quotes from any kind of MS PR. I don't see MS making it "official" without an actual announcement.

agreed, MS is waiting until Mar is over then announce it in April. Elite will prob go on sale beginning of May.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
MadOdorMachine said:
I know what you mean man. I don't know if people are holding out or if Microsoft just hasn't released all the details, but the chip size (and build quality in general) is a bigger factor for me than having a black one with a bigger hard drive. I guess my concern about these new models are whether or not Microsoft has addressed the issues that have been happening to the earlier renditions.

Exactly, I want a $400 machine to last me at least 5 years with constant use. Just like you said, it isn't the games that is holding me back, it isn't even the price, it is the reliability (or lack of) that is preventing me from buying it.

If this $400 machine was built like a rock and lasted 7 years with no problems like my dreamcast then I would love to buy it.

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
Dean Takahashi, the man with the Xbox executives connections has also confirmed this to be true. $479, limited edition, HDMI, 120GB HDD, IPTV as has been said before.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/03/exclusive_microsoft_to_announce_the_xbox_360_elite.html

The new box will go on sale in limited quantities soon for $479. The details may not be precise here, but I believe it will have an HDMI connector so that you can connect at the highest speed to a high-definition TV. It will come with a 120-gigabyte hard disk drive and will have IPTV capability.
I think Dean is confused on this point. Microsoft was clear that every 360 out there has "IPTV capability". That's the entire point of launching the service this fall. They would not release the only SKU to be compatable with IPTV in "limited quantities", as Dean says.

In any case, this is going to put some pressure on Sony and it will enable Microsoft to patch some holes in the technological capability of the Xbox 360.
Raising the price of the 360 will do the opposite of put pressure on Sony. If there is no price drop on the existing SKUs with the announcement, I'd say MS is shooting themselves in the foot.

GhaleonEB said:
Raising the price of the 360 will do the opposite of put pressure on Sony. If there is no price drop on the existing SKUs with the announcement, I'd say MS is shooting themselves in the foot.
I'm inclined to agree, but there may not be any negative impact in the long run as other two models of the X360 are still at a much lower pricepoint. The damage to PS3 is already done and the momentum keeps going.

FrankT

GhaleonEB said:
I think Dean is confused on this point. Microsoft was clear that every 360 out there has "IPTV capability". That's the entire point of launching the service this fall. They would not release the only SKU to be compatable with IPTV as in "limited quantities", as Dean says.

One caveat needs to be put here, if it is Limited Edition for now, that really isn't going to matter. All of these will sale out on launch if the alloted amount is as little as engadget describes. On the price cut side of things that is only a matter of time.

GhaleonEB

MightyHedgehog said:
I'm inclined to agree, but there may not be any negative impact in the long run as other two models of the X360 are still at a much lower pricepoint. The damage to PS3 is already done and the momentum keeps going.
Possibly. I was mostly refuting Dean's assertation that a higher-priced SKU will put pressure on Sony. The only real difference (HDMI aside) is the bigger HDD, which PS3 owners have access to since they are not locked into a propriatary format. From a competitive standpoint, I don't think this SKU does Microsoft squat. So best case scenario, Microsoft sees no benefit. Worst case, it confuses the marketplace with three 360 SKUs.

Of course, I don't think this is the complete picture so we'll have to see what is done with the existing SKUs.

Jtyettis said:
One caveat needs to be put here, if it is Limited Edition for now, that really isn't going to matter. All of these will sale out on launch if the alloted amount is as little as engadget describes. On the price cut side of things that is only a matter of time.
Also true.

Odysseus

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
I'm inclined to agree, but there may not be any negative impact in the long run. The damage to PS3 is already done and the momentum keeps going.

microsoft is still competing with nintendo, despite what people in both camps would have you believe. microsoft maintaining and even raising the top-line price, even in just "limited quanities", just gives nintendo more ammunition.

it's moves like this, particularly now of all times, that makes you wonder if microsoft gets it. maybe they didn't expect sony to struggle during the beginning of this year, and this zephyr has surely been in the works for a while. but now that the data is out there, they should be running away from sony's strategy and figuring out how best to keep nintendo from becoming top dog. increasingly catering to the "relatively small group of hardcore gamers who care about having the highest-end technology in the living room" isn't going to get it done. worse, it could backfire and turn the premium into another core that nobody wants and relegate microsoft to more months with lackluster sales that people accept as ok because sony happens to be doing worse.

get the price down, microsoft. offer a larger hdd (to be purchased seperately) for sure and add hdmi if you wish, but leave the number of different skus alone. or go it your own way and embrace the one waggle future.

i bet gamestop is loving this considering that there will be a fair amount of suckers that will trade in their 360 for this one just so they can be elite

FrankT

Also, remember the last time Dean T broke a major announcement like this was right before CES 07 with the IPTV functionalities and the 10.4 million shipment number. Right around the corner we are.

Lo-Volt

I expect the Xbox 360 with the 20-gigabyte hard disk drive will continue to sell for $399 and the Core unit, which has no hard drive, will sell for $299.

This is a problem then. I don't see how the current 20GB should maintain its price when for only a little more, the differences become quite notable. Microsoft should just go all the way and drop the price on the 20GB model. Maybe the aforementioned point can excuse this pricing scheme, since the Elite is so rare according to that theory, but it must look odd for the pricing to be so close to a far superior device no matter how few of them there could be. I really wish Microsoft could just go for the jugular and drop the price; it should rightfully make a lot of people more interested in the 360, if the system they rejected as a bit too expensive still does what they would have wanted it to do at $400 but becomes more accessible for them and many other people at $300.

Odysseus said:
microsoft is still competing with nintendo, despite what people in both camps would have you believe. microsoft maintaining and even raising the top-line price, even in just "limited quanities", just gives nintendo more ammunition.
Of course, they're still competing with them, but they don't mesh completely together as direct competitors since they both focus on very different things. Ninty with interface and the types of games it excels at delivering, and MS with a more traditional, and online-focused system, are still different enough to make their competition between each other mild. They're more complementary to each other in what each offers than adversarial.

Odysseus said:
microsoft maintaining and even raising the top-line price, even in just "limited quanities", just gives nintendo more ammunition.

It also makes it easier for Sony to justify the high price of their machine.

FrankT

Outdoor Miner said:
It also makes it easier for Sony to justify the high price of their machine.

For a whole week? Yes, that should be a very nice talking point, when these few hundred thousand or less are snapped up and gone, there will be no talking point left on the table, bottom line.

Odysseus

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Of course, they're still competing with them, but they don't mesh completely together as direct competitors since they both focus on very different things. Ninty with interface and the types of games it excels at delivering, and MS with a more traditional, and online-focused system, are still different enough to make their competition between each other mild. They're more complementary to each other in what each offers than adversarial.

i'm sorry, but most people don't look at it that way. by and large, people choose one system and stick with it. when people choose the wii, generally speaking they'll never buy xbox 360 or ps3 unless something drastic happens. complements are only for hardcore gaming nerds, and there aren't enough of them to build your business around. most people's gaming dollars only go to one place.

Odysseus said:
i'm sorry, but most people don't look at it that way. by and large, people choose one system and stick with it. when people choose the wii, generally speaking they'll never buy xbox 360 or ps3 unless something drastic happens. complements are only for hardcore gaming nerds, and there aren't enough of them to build your business around. most people's gaming dollars only go to one place.
Well, let's see what happens. As long as Ninty doesn't have the type of experience that X360 delivers and X360 doesn't have the types of experiences that Wii offers, they are more complementary...unless you're suggesting that Wii-type of gaming is set to replace the more traditional stuff anytime soon. I don't think that will ever happen, as Ninty is truly growing a different part of the market for now.

_Angelus_

Banned
I'm happy with my 360,no way I'm buying the new model coming next month. I wouldn't mind buying the new larger HD though, but I can wait if its going to be pricey./ I need to buy a new PC graphics card to play Stalker first.:lol

If MS does this they are stupid. They are blowing one of the few things that they really have over Sony and that is the price perception involved in these two consoles. It is one thing if this is really a limited production run, which I sincerely hope it is. It is another if this becomes a whole new sku, as we have seen consumers do not buy the lower end models. Hell in my opinion the core was created purely to make the jump to $400 easier on consumer perception. I swear it seems like Sony and Microsoft just want to see who can screw up more.

This is absolutely retarded at $479. Not just because 360 should have a price cut at this point in its cycle, or that the contents aren't worth it, but also that it legitimizes Sony's pricing scheme. They should be showing consumers that ~$500 is unnecessary, not to be expected.

Odysseus

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Well, let's see what happens. As long as Ninty doesn't have the type of experience that X360 delivers and X360 doesn't have the types of experiences that Wii offers, they are more complementary...unless you're suggesting that Wii-type of gaming is set to replace the more traditional stuff anytime soon. I don't think that will ever happen, as Ninty is truly growing a different part of the market for now.

it is now my opinion that, barring a miraculous move from sony, microsoft is one price drop away from becoming the closest thing to the next ps2, at least on the western front. i really think that the generation is theirs for the taking, again, barring a sony miracle. however, the longer they leave the top-line price of the 360 at $400, the more viable they make nintendo and they'll end up spending the entire generation battling it out with this supposedly complementary product. traditional controls or not, wii plays madden and tony hawk and it's cheap, which certainly makes it a viable option (and, to eat a little crow, far more viable than i thought it would be... at least so far).

neptunes said:
I wonder how "LIMITED" this is going to be

limited to being vaporware, if microsoft has any sense about it.

Odysseus said:
it is now my opinion that, barring a miraculous move from sony, microsoft is one price drop away from becoming the closest thing to the next ps2, at least on the western front. i really think that the generation is theirs for the taking, again, barring a sony miracle. however, the longer they leave the top-line price of the 360 at $400, the more viable they make nintendo and they'll end up spending the entire generation battling it out with this supposedly complementary product. traditional controls or not, wii plays madden and tony hawk and it's cheap, which certainly makes it a viable option (and, to eat a little crow, far more viable than i thought it would be... at least so far).
Good points. The X360 will drop this price this year. I'm betting on it. And I totally agree with those that think MS would be wise to stay as far away from PS3's price as possible, but I don't think a super edition of your already popular console (that sells at $300 and $400) will be affected much.

FrankT

neptunes said:
I wonder how "LIMITED" this is going to be

The Elite will be limited quantities only; that may be as much or as little as a couple hundred thousand

The case, controller, and Live headset will all be black. It will have all new packaging.
Elite will cost $479, and will be a 3rd SKU; it will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.

Eventually Elite hardware (in white plastics) will take the role of the Xbox Premium. That is to say, after the Elite is launched and sold out, future Xbox Premiums will have 120GB / HDMI.

We do not yet know exactly when 120GB / HDMI will become the standard for Premium, but it is loosely estimated to be late summer or fall.

Elite models run cooler than normal 360s, but they are not yet confirmed to have 65nm chips.

Prices may remain the same with the 120GB / HDMI hardware upgrade in the Premium Xbox, but we may still see a price cut on the line when 65nm chips start shipping.

The HD DVD drive will not be internal or bundled -- Microsoft never did or nor does not currently have plans to put an HD DVD drive in the 360.

There are no current plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premiums (although that can always change).

This is what engadget sources say.

The Elite will be limited quantities only; that may be as much or as little as a couple hundred thousand
This is just to tone down customers' rage against new version. Initially it will start as limited, then it will become regular version.

Personally I think $499 20GB PS3 with BD >>>>> $479 120GB Xbox 360

FrankT

MirageDwarf said:
This is just to tone down customers' rage against new version. Initially it will start as limited, then it will become regular version.

It also says they're maybe a price cut in line with it as well if these new features come in the fall, so for now one cannot assume one way or another. While I agree with that, this limited edition isn't going to be for everyone that much is certain, but no less it will sale out.

whiteelitexboxqa9.jpg

GhaleonEB

MirageDwarf said:

Yup. The sad thing is, if MS insists on going with a SKU with the larger HDD, this is how it should happen:

$199 Core
$299 Premium
$399 Elite

That's actually a compelling lineup. Unfortunately it doesn't look like MS will do that. If they are not ready to drop the price - and they should be very soon - then they shouldn't **** with the mix yet either.

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. The sad thing is, if MS insists on going with a SKU with the larger HDD, this is how it should happen:

$199 Core
$299 Premium
$399 Elite

That's actually a compelling lineup. Unfortunately it doesn't look like MS will do that. If they are not ready to drop the price - and they should be very soon - then they shouldn't **** with the mix yet either.

Microsoft can destroy Sony with a price drop.

GhaleonEB said:
$199 Core
$299 Premium
$399 Elite
This is acceptable, I guess. But still, MS is overcharging customer for HDD. Ideal solution would be just one version without any confusion.

priced between $350-$380 - HDMI/120GB - black/white color.

Top Bottom