• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official BOHICA? Black Xbox 360 W/HDMI, 120GB HD Coming Late April

And where is that information available?

Even then, the core is still a good idea, because it's not like it costs MS anymore money to make, and even if it is 10:1, the few owners that buy them would most likely not get a 360 at all.

During my launch 360 experience, i saw quite a bit of people buy the cores before the prems sold out, so it was my assumption they've kept selling this way :p

I don't think MS is planning to drop the price on either current SKU until the retail channels have sold through of the current 90nm motherboard models. I think later summer/early fall, when the new 360s produced with the 65nm process get into retail, we will see the first real price drop. MS has pretty much said as much to their shareholders publicly (lowering retail sales estimate for 1st/2nd Q 07 to get the current units sold through to consumers).

I expect to see the 120 gig, HDMI elite 360 selling for $399, the 20 gig current premium 360 going for $299, and the core going for $249 when the price does officially drop later this year. I think the price drop will occur before the release of GTA IV.

But for right now, I think everything stays the same price wise, with the Elite just being an ultra high end model for an $80 extra premium. And like has been speculated, I doubt MS really expects the $480 elite to be a huge selller, which is the reason for the rumored several hundred thousand units made allotment.

FrankT

Dean Takahashi, the author of 2001’s “Opening the Xbox” and 2006’s “The Xbox 360 Uncloaked”, has confirmed in his San Jose Mercury News’ blog the announcement of the Xbox 360 Elite.

"It’s true that Microsoft is preparing to announce the Xbox 360 Elite, a version of the game console with black plastic and advanced features." stated Takahashi in his a+e blog. "Several sources confirmed Microsoft plans to add this box to its product line."

Meanwhile, in the other side of the Pacific Ocean, Australian newspaper The Sydney Morning Herald reports that Microsoft Australia will make on Wednesday a "major announcement" to coincide with the first birthday of the Xbox 360 in the Land Downunder.

While unconfirmed, all signs suggest Microsoft will introduce a revamped "Elite" version of the games console, with new features such as a larger hard disk drive and a built-in HDMI connector.

The announcement, to be made within a week of the Australian debut of the PlayStation 3, comes as Microsoft faces the daunting task of keeping the Xbox 360 fresh in the face of renewed competition from Sony and Nintendo.

By now, the Xbox 360 Elite Edition (codename: Zephyr) is one of the worst kept secrets ever.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13090/Xbox-360-Elite-to-be-Announced-on-Wednesday/

Just saw this over at TXB, they say in AU, Microsoft is to make some "major announcement" on Wednesday, per the Sidney Morning Herald. That would be Thursday in the states no? All signs still pointing to on or around March 29th it seems.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

The End

So... I want a 360 to play EDF3, Armored Core 4, and Mass Effect.

Should I buy a Premium now with a PRP at (say) Bestbuy and a smother it to death later this year after the 120gb version becomes the "new premium"?

(this assumes that the "Elite" is a limited edition, and that HDMI/120gb will make it into the Premium eventually)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, since this version has HDMI, does that mean that the people who own one of these and a Hd dvd add-on would be able to get TrueHD out of it? I think that is one of the main complaints about the add-on right now, since it's not able to use the more advanced audio modes available in hd dvd.

Things like $200 hard drives are why I haven't bought a 360 yet. This system is still not even close to being priced for a mass market, and making the system MORE expensive is not going to do much to help Microsoft, even though a few hardcore gamers will be pleased and excited to fork over more money for absurdly priced accessories.

^

Yes, you should also be able to upscale DVDs to 1080p over HDMI. This announcement makes my blood boil, I would have waited for this one If they didnt say the current box was capable of digital output which was an outright lie.

I really wanted upscaling over HDMI on a 360.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Microsoft has to get the ball rolling in Japan somehow. They *need* to get Final Fantasy and MGS4 over there doing whatever it takes and Lost Oddyssey and their other RPG's better be special or there's no way they can even sniff #1 this gen. The 360 is in a good position in NA and Europe, so not many worries there.

MS needs to get the best marketers in Japan and pay top dollar to improve it's image dramatically over there, in addition to getting those big japanese games. That's the only way...

Flo_Evans

what do you think the chances are of the core getting the same mobo revision and including HDMI output and the 65nm processors? I would like to 'upgrade' mine, but paying $479 or whatever is not gonna happen.

Flo_Evans said:
what do you think the chances are of the core getting the same mobo revision and including HDMI output and the 65nm processors? I would like to 'upgrade' mine, but paying $479 or whatever is not gonna happen.
Either way, if all of the 360's get the 65nm processors, and they do run cooler, I'll bite. My 360 is acting funny- sometimes, it works perfectly, other times it freezes and I have to go through the plug-and-unplug dance for about a half hour before it works- so I might have to replace it. I'll wait and see before acting, though.

Didn't see this tidbit anywhere in the thread:

The San Jose Mercury News' Dean Takahashi has a bit more details on the rumored Xbox 360 Elite edition that Game Informer reported on earlier this month. Game Informer had already reported that the new, black 360 would come with a 120-gig hard drive and HDMI out and sell for $479. Takahashi adds that the new 360 will have IPTV capabilities, something I suggested would make sense, and that the new design will also implement the a chip redesign, shifting from 90 nanometer to 65 nanometer, resulting in a significant drop in cost to Microsoft. Takahashi adds that he thinks the introduction of the new 360, which will be produced in limited quantities, will not effect the price of the current core or 20-gig models. I suspect that this new model will hit in April, with official word coming as early as next week.

linky

GhaleonEB

pooteeweet said:
Didn't see this tidbit anywhere in the thread:

linky
That's because that golded nugget got a thread all its own. :lol

Sounds like the news hits tomorrow, maybe Wednesday. It will be nice to have it cleared up.

Jtyettis said:
Ah, MS is so smooth at keeping company secrets. Can't wait to upgrade to this thing, anyhow my local EB games best have enough pre-orders, but it sounds like it may be pretty limited at this point.
I know, I really can't believe Microsoft is gonna do this. I thought it was a fan rumor but, I was proven wrong. I wonder if this will sell more than the HD-DVD add on:D

FrankT

InterMoniker said:
I know, I really can't believe Microsoft is gonna do this. I thought it was a fan rumor but, I was proven wrong. I wonder if this will sell more than the HD-DVD add on:D

Well if it's Limited Edition @ few hundred thousand or less as engadget seems to indicate it will sell out on launch.

ee49cfb6f2ac54e04be3bfefb8de3b27.jpg

40d11d8cb3768cbb0952e0500955d3b6.jpg

897256952888d2614ed853ac5996d3c4.jpg

426e3f4830bafea0ddb219f04adf2cf9.jpg

The Xbox Chinese Factory...

Jtyettis said:
Well if it's Limited Edition @ few hundred thousand or less as engadget seems to indicate it will sell out on launch.
Hmmmmm... I wonder if it will be mostly people that already have a 360? It probably will sell out there's some hardcore fans waiting to gobble this thing up. The price point is funny as well $479 for elitle $499 for 20gb PS3. But but this ones got a bigger HD:D

Zep

Banned
Man, those black xbox's look badass but what happens if/when it breaks? Do I get a new black casing?! Do I keep my existing warranty?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Revelations said:
Oh sweet lord have mercy!

Big Zep said:
Man, those black xbox's look badass but what happens if/when it breaks? Do I get a new black casing?! Do I keep my existing warranty?
That would be good incentive to buy a new one, like your 2 year warranty carrying on to the "Elite". I doubt Microsoft would do that though but, then again I don't work for em. :p

MaX_PL

Banned
madmook said:
If they all have the quieter, more efficient disc drive (BenQ?) then I'll get one for sure.

oh they'll undoubtedly have one of those, if not a better one.

from now on xbox 360 components will continually get better and better.

Ristamar

JB1981 said:
Looks much better in white, imo.

I agree.

Should this actually hit retail by late April, I really hope they drop prices all around (and release the 'Elite' in white) by the fall.

SS4Rob

If it has a 65nm core I'll buy it at $479. If it doesn't, I'll wait til the Premium goes to 65nm and buy it for $399/299/whatever. But I won't do either of these actions until Blue Dragon comes out :)

RumpledForeskin said:
When you look at it in the grand scale I think MS is releasing this model so when fall comes they can drop down the price of the premium while still retaining a system at $399 for maximum profit. So in essence we will see a price drop if the current premium at $399 drops this fall to $299 and the Elite takes the place of the current premium. More and more that $299 core system is looking like it was brillint decision by MS to maximise profits. They can easily lower prices to make the consumer feel as if there getting more for less while shaving little off there current prices. No question Nintendo and Sony may be backed into a corner to price drop sooner than later.

Here's what I think will happen before Christmas:

Premium gets replaced by Elite spec, remains at ~$399.
20GB add-on is phased out, replaced with 120GB add-on, for ~$180.
Core drops to ~$220.

I think the Core's main problem is it's priced too close to the Premium, once you factor in the memory card. Selling the Core at a much lower price while increasing the upgrade cost could make it seem much more of a bargain.

RumFore

Banned
Revelations said:
ee49cfb6f2ac54e04be3bfefb8de3b27.jpg

40d11d8cb3768cbb0952e0500955d3b6.jpg

897256952888d2614ed853ac5996d3c4.jpg

426e3f4830bafea0ddb219f04adf2cf9.jpg

Looks like that cheap faded black instead of the super dark rich color of say audio equipment.

Graphics Horse said:

Core drops to ~$220.

I think the Core's main problem is it's priced too close to the Premium, once you factor in the memory card, selling the Core at a much lower price, while increasing the upgrade cost, could make it seem much more of a bargain.

You might be right.:)

RumpledForeskin said:
Looks like that cheap faded black instead of the super dark rich color of say audio equipment.

It's industrial charcoal black. Not cheap at all. It has a certain grade to it. Black laquer gets scuffed and scratched too easily. it all attracts more dust.

The reason for this grade of the color black si so the system won't draw as much dust and it dosn't scratch as easily as say a PS3 would. It's the right choice. And many electrical home theatre appliances use this manner of equipment shells. My sony & onkyo reciever has the same industrial look to it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Graphics Horse said:

Core drops to ~$220.

I think the Core's main problem is it's priced too close to the Premium, once you factor in the memory card. Selling the Core at a much lower price while increasing the upgrade cost could make it seem much more of a bargain.

Yup, that is likely what will happen. I have no doubts about that.

This black will have a low run just to make mad money. Then they will standardize it eventually to lower costs and make profit AND use it as an excuse to keep the price at the $400 level.

The cheaper core would get people into games because it is lower than the price of the wii, but they will likely buy memory cards (unless MS stops selling those also).

FrankT

Revelations said:
It's industrial charcoal black. Not cheap at all. It has a certain grade to it. Black laquer gets scuffed and scratched too easily. it all attracts more dust.

The reason for this grade of the color black si so the system won't draw as much dust and it dosn't scratch as easily as say a PS3 would. It's the right choice. And many electrical home theatre appliances use this manner of equipment shells. My sony & onkyo reciever has the same industrial look to it.

Yea, I'm liking the charcoal look. It will blend in better with my stuff.

The elite will have more than just a 120HDD and HDMI.
It will have a camera, wireless headset and they may even include the wireless adapter. There are rumors that it has the smaller & cheaper "Zephyr" motherboard in it.

The End

quick question:

looking at a pile of xboxes 360 at, say, Bestbuy, is there any way to tell which have the newer Benq drives (ie, serial numbers, born on date, etc)?

FrankT

Revelations said:
The elite will have more than just a 120HDD and HDMI.
It will have a camera, wireless headset and they may even include the wireless adapter. There are rumors that it has the smaller & cheaper "Zephyr" motherboard in it.

Those extra goodies would be real nice, now I just need a pre-order date. :)

The End said:
quick question:

looking at a pile of xboxes 360 at, say, Bestbuy, is there any way to tell which have the newer Benq drives (ie, serial numbers, born on date, etc)?

Look at the year either on the outside of the box or somewhere in the hole that exposes the sku number on the actual system itself. Look for a 2007 date.

Revelations said:

That's hot. My X360 gets scratched pretty easily, so this is a plus. :)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The End said:
quick question:

That is why you wait until later when all the units on display have 65 nm so it wont crap out on you.

bloke

Revelations said:
There are rumors that it has the smaller & cheaper "Zephyr" motherboard in it.
The only thing that matters. Wish we can see power adapter pics of new version, if it's much smaller = win.

Graphics Horse said:

Core drops to ~$220.

Everyone seems to making the assumption that if MS sticks to 2 SKUs either the Core or the 20GB Premium will go away. I question whether they really need to bundle a 120 GB HDD. The 20 GB HDD is probably good for 80% of the public, and those wanting to upgrade can buy it seperately with the Core if its priced appropriately. Why not have a $199 Core and a $299 Premium? Consumers interested in the "Elite" could have it for $380 (Core + HDD sold seperately). MS would crush Xmas 07 at those prices.

Top Bottom