• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official BOHICA? Black Xbox 360 W/HDMI, 120GB HD Coming Late April

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
pooteeweet said:
Everyone seems to making the assumption that if MS sticks to 2 SKUs either the Core or the 20GB Premium will go away. I question whether they really need to bundle a 120 GB HDD. The 20 GB HDD is probably good for 80% of the public, and those wanting to upgrade can buy it seperately with the Core if its priced appropriately. Why not have a $199 Core and a $299 Premium? Consumers interested in the "Elite" could have it for $380 (Core + HDD sold seperately). MS would crush Xmas 07 at those prices.

That would make too much sense, and we all know that companies typically don't have it.

After all, if the PS3 had a PS2 price and XBOX 360 level graphics the thing would be number 1. If the Sony PSP was $50 cheaper and had more aggressive advertising it wouldn't be getting it's butt handed to them by Nintendo.

tanod

when is my burrito
Here's what I think will happen before Christmas:

Core / Premium / Elite
$250 / $350 / $450

20GB HD - $100
120GB HD - $200

Some time in 2008, Premium as we know it will be dropped and Elite (new premium) will be $400. HD prices will drop by some degree.

PorscheThunder said:
So, Dean Takahashi is saying that the 65nm processors will come in the fall? I'll wait until then.

I read the article as this new SKU will have 65nm. It's not clear when the current SKUs will switch to it.

http://www.addict3d.org/news/80342/More Xbox 360 Elite Details Float Up

Takahashi adds that the new 360 will habe IPTV capabilities, something I suggested would make sense, and that the new design will also implement the a chip redesign, shifting from 90 nanometer to 65 nanometer, resulting in a significant drop in cost to Microsoft.

SS4Rob

Graphics Horse said:
Here's what I think will happen before Christmas:

Premium gets replaced by Elite spec, remains at ~$399.
20GB add-on is phased out, replaced with 120GB add-on, for ~$180.
Core drops to ~$220.

IAWTAP. Which is probably why I will wait on the Elite to turn into the new Premium, and hopefully it will be 65nm at that point.

Oh yeah, I'm one of those fence sitters, heh.

SS4Rob

Kobun Heat said:
Forgive me, but what's the issue?

We would like to know if and/or when the Elite SKU due out in April will have the 65nm core, and we want to know if and/or when the current Premium and Core SKUs will move to the 65nm core.

MaX_PL

Banned
i dont expect them to announce anything for fall just yet. that will come at gamepro expo.

if they announce a price reduced premium now, their current supply wont sell as people wait for the better hardware later on.

maybe the current premium will get a price drop now until inventory is gone, and the elite will take over in fall?

SS4Rob

SS4Rob said:
IAWTAP. Which is probably why I will wait on the Elite to turn into the new Premium, and hopefully it will be 65nm at that point.

Oh yeah, I'm one of those fence sitters, heh.

On more thing. If the Elite is using 65nm AND comes with a bunch stuff (headset, camera, maybe wireless adapter) then I'll pick it up early for $479 rather than wait for it to turn into a $399 Premium set.

Manp

maybe someone already noticed it, but 479€ (ok, in € not $) was the price of the first Xbox when it launched in Europe... and it bombed...

:)

FrankT

MaX_PL said:
i dont expect them to announce anything for fall just yet. that will come at gamepro expo.

if they announce a price reduced premium now, their current supply wont sell as people wait for the better hardware later on.

maybe the current premium will get a price drop now until inventory is gone, and the elite will take over in fall?

I agree, they're going to drum up support for this thing while being quite about the fall as far as hardware. Hopefully, they have some other announcements on top of this, maybe some price reductions on accessories or something, who knows though, all just speculation on my part. And drop the first party lineup dates already MS.

Manp said:
maybe someone already noticed it, but 479€ (ok, in € not $) was the price of the first Xbox when it launched in Europe... and it bombed...

1) The price hasn't been confirmed.
2) It's likely $479, but it's also likely a limited run which if true WILL sell out.
3) It may or may not be available in Europe.

neptunes

SS4Rob said:
Fixed. Heh.
Actually,I don't know if he'll want to answer that, that is unless it's happening as soon as possible.

They also want to sell the current hardware that still in the channel.

GhaleonEB

Jtyettis said:
I agree, they're going to drum up support for this thing while being quite about the fall as far as hardware. Hopefully, they have some other announcements on top of this, maybe some price reductions on accessories or something, who knows though, all just speculation on my part. And drop the first party lineup dates already MS.
I'm hoping we'll see those dates as well, at least Forza 2 through Blue Dragon. If the price really is $480 then it's an indication the price on the existing SKUs won't drop until the late summer/fall. Which is a BAD IDEA.

Jonsoncao said:
so the new SKUs will still not be equipped with the 65nm chips?

or the opposite?

see u guys' discuss, a bit of confused

it's because there's no official announcement yet. There may not even be an official announcement, and it's something that'll only be found out when some website opens up the system and looks at the motherboard or something.

FrankT

MaX_PL said:
i'm confident in saying this new sku, the limited edition one, will have 65nm cpu.

Wow you got a source on that or is that pure speculation, because that would certainly make my purchase all the more worthwhile.

Dr-L337

Banned
Well Luke Smith just said in reference to a way of transferring saves "Just wait" so there is obviously going to be some solution. Ideally, saves would temporarily be stored on Microsoft's servers, but such a solution would not help unconnected 360 owners (who paradoxically have no need for a 120gb drive).

neptunes

Jtyettis said:
Wow you got a source on that or is that pure speculation, because that would certainly make my purchase all the more worthwhile.
wouldn't thae be the hook though?

A aeliable hardware revision(?)+upgrades yours only for a premium. ($80)

could save some potential headaches in the long run, though Reliable Hardware should be an expectation, not sold at a premium :lol

FrankT

Dr-L337 said:
Well Luke Smith just said in reference to a way of transferring saves "Just wait" so there is obviously going to be some solution. Ideally, saves would temporarily be stored on Microsoft's servers, but such a solution would not help unconnected 360 owners (who paradoxically have no need for a 120gb drive).

What has been rumored is there will be a cable included to xfer the data from your old hard drive to the new. How this will be done exactly is beyond my expertise.

MaX_PL

Banned
Jtyettis said:

not a source but a hunch. haha. the only person i know at MS never tells me anything.

but lets think for a bit. could this actually have a HD DVD drive? the standalone costs 200 bucks. a premium probably costs ~300 bucks to produce. edit: this all depending on 65nm implementation and HD DVD drive production cost.
microsoft could take a hit on these limited edition runs if they include a hd dvd drive, but at the same time create alot of hype around HD DVD. making it a limited edition would also mean they would not force the expensive, next gen optical drives on most consumers, while satisfying the needs of those looking for a true media hub willing to pay the price.

I'm fairly confident that this is not going to be the 65nm SKU that will get replaced sometime in the fall before GTAIV and Halo 3. However if it is, then go MS!

KarishBHR

psp-white-ad-stirs-naacp-20060706053716138.jpg

So appropriate now

llTll

Banned
the day this machine come, i will sell my motorstorm US, NBA Street, VF5 and pay extra money and get one of those.

either way i am done with those games because i am not single person guy and resistence is keeping me busy on PS3 for months now [ motorstorm sucks online thank you very much ]

i dont think i will resist this machine. either way i am huge fan of AC6 and Halo. so buying 360 is a must.

Piper Az

The question is, will MS put in the HDMI interface on all of their SKUs? I think that should be done (how much does it cost them to do it anyways?).

MaX_PL said:
no, the drive is what makes the noise.

the cpu makes little to no sound.

The fan makes quite a bit of noise too, the thought is the new chips will run cooler and therefore require less fan.

Piper_AZ said:
The question is, will MS put in the HDMI interface on all of their SKUs? I think that should be done (how much does it cost them to do it anyways?).

Nobody knows, but one would assume they would. Having HDMI output requires a new mobo, rather than have two different mobos it would be cheaper in the long run just to have one.

MaX_PL

Banned
pooteeweet said:
The fan makes quite a bit of noise too, the thought is the new chips will run cooler and therefore require less fan.

yes, true. didnt mention that.

and yes kramer, they added the benq in the recent models. but with the elite, they may possibly add an even better drive. we'll see.

Manp

pooteeweet said:
1) The price hasn't been confirmed.
2) It's likely $479, but it's also likely a limited run which if true WILL sell out.
3) It may or may not be available in Europe.

i was talking about coincidences... no serious argument, you know

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Here is a question I have:

As of now, with a standard X360+HD-DVD add-on, you cannot get any of the advanced audio (Dolby Digital Plus, DolbyTrueHD or dts-HD Master Audio) it is last gen Dolby Digital 5.1 audio only.....

With the new black HDMI X360 comming out, will you be able to finnally get the advanced audio encoded on HD-DVD disk, or will you be limited to the DD 5.1 core again?

All HD-DVD decks are *SUPPOSED* to decode Uncompressed LPCM, DD 5.1, Dolby Digital DD EX, and regular dts, plus Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD....with dts HD as an option....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD#Audio

The DVD forum says this is a REQUIREMENT of the HD-DVD format, yet X360 add on has gimped, last gen audio.....

Will they fix this with the new SKU or no?

Top Bottom