• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Champions League Thread that money can't buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoFever

I'd be very surprised if the final wasn't a rematch of last year. The draw was very favourable to United, and although they have to get through Arsenal and then either Inter or a trip to Moscow, Barca should have what it takes there.

Trouble is, as a United fan, I still think Barca would win that rematch. At least there's the chance to see a Barca European champions party in the Bernabeu :lol

Someone pointed out to me that because of the way that the European draws went, it's possible to have all-English finals in both UEFA competitions - Man Utd vs Arsenal in the CL and Fulham vs Liverpool in the Europa League. I almost want that to happen just for Platini's bitter tears.

Blablurn said:
-ribery-robben-13250107__q-1,templateId=renderScaled,property=Bild,height=349.jpg

When did Robben turn into Patrick Stewart?

Boozeroony

Louis all the way!

louis_van_gaal.jpg

He actually looks German here. The stache is epic.

He is a loony, but he also gives us priceless press moments.

The Arsenal Vs Barcelona match is going to be a good one...I'm going to take the Gunners for this one...

And for my team Man UTD, we're going to take it to Bayern...I'd also love to see Inter get smashed...

flyover

Adamm said:
Cant wait for the Arsenal v Barca game, should be a good one!
and im not too bothered about whos wins :D
Totally agree. That will be excellent. Mick McCarthy's on board, too:
KpgZo.gif

I'm a Liverpool fan, but they've been unwatchable for much of this season (e.g., their own brief dalliance with the Champions League). It's been a lot more fun watching Arsenal -- especially before van Persie got hurt.

Yousefb

come on Arsenal! They've been doing good recently so maybe this confidence boost can give em the edge over Barca who knows, gonna be an exciting match can't wait!

Wessiej

Oh lawd, my 2 favorite international teams (my main club is Ajax) are playing against each other, arsenal-barca is going to be such a good match.

If Arsenal win Barca I'll be booking the next few days of work for the inevitable ultra hangover,Should be a real showcase of beautiful football.

Cant wait.

Blablurn

Ribery will definitely start. Unfortunately Robben's chances aren't that good. the last thing i heard he's gonna be on the bench.

Reno7728

Blablurn said:
Ribery will definitely start. Unfortunately Robben's chances aren't that good. the last thing i heard he's gonna be on the bench.

So bayern should definitely be firing on all cylinders for the second leg, and not capitulate like Milan

Arjen

Never thought i'd be rooting for a German team, but i hate Man U so fucking much.
So, go Bayern!

Blablurn

Reno7728 said:
So bayern should definitely be firing on all cylinders for the second leg, and not capitulate like Milan

our defense sucks. this is why i'm a little bit afraid :|

yeah, Arjen. That's the spirit.

As much as I would love for Ferge to have revenge on a United vs Barca final, I want to see a United vs Inter final.

I really want Man U to lose. But I don't think Bayern can beat them.

Oh, they can. I am afraid for Man U today.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bayern Munich v Manchester United – tactical preview

On paper, United should be set up perfectly to deal with this one. No side in Europe rely on their wide players as much as Bayern do, no side in Europe defend from the wings as effectively as United do.

As discussed in ZM’s analysis of Bayern’s fortunate win over Fiorentina in the previous round, the best way to stop Bayern is by strictly doubling-up on Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben. United have done well this season when playing a 4-3-3 against the big sides, with the wide players in the team to shut down the opposition full-backs. Today, a similarly strict defensive job will be required from them – although it might be 20 yards deeper than usual, with Ribery and Robben their attention, rather than the full-backs.

Fiorentina’s doubling up against the wingers worked well, but left themselves exposed in the centre of the pitch, where first Mark van Bommel and then Arjen Robben smashed in long-range efforts. But whereas Fiorentina’s shape was a vague 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1, United’s use of three central midfield players (compared to two for Fiorentina) means they should avoid the same thing happening.

Of course, this is assuming Ribery and Robben are fit – they might well both miss out, and Bastian Schweinsteiger is suspended, meaning Bayern’s entire creative spark could be unavailable.

Ferguson will certainly go 4-3-3, but it will be interesting to see which players he uses in wide positions – against Milan both home and away Park was fielded in the centre, but his stamina might be better suited to the wing in this game. He and Valencia would be the best players defensively, but Nani is in good form and might cause Lahm and Bastuber more problems with the ball.

The role of Darren Fletcher will also be interesting – his energy might be wasted in a deep midfield role, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him either higher up the pitch pressuring van Bommel and Tymoschuk, or deployed wide to assist his full-back.

Daniel van Buyten and Martin Dimichelis will be dreading facing Wayne Rooney – they’re both tall, strong defenders, but prone to pace and movement as Stevan Jovetic showed in the last round, and both always have a mistake in them. As long as United get support to Rooney, they will surely score an away goal.

It’s difficult to predict teams with Bayern’s injury doubts, but one suspects that one of the wingers, probably Arjen Robben, will make the side.

Predicted teams:

Bayern Munich (4-4-1-1): Butt; Lahm, Van Buyten, Demichelis, Badstuber; Robben, Van Bommel, Tymoschuk, Pranjic; Muller; Olic.

Manchester United (4-5-1): van der Sar; Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Park; Rooney.

I think both Robben and Ribery will start but Valencia will have the best wing play. Sorry Bla :/

Reno7728

Predicting 3 - 1 to United tonight

then 2 - 0 for bayern with their stars back at OT

How long is Schweinsteigers suspension?

Ahh I'm just watching some 1999 Champions League highlights that they are playing on the "footy show"...Such a great game (For Man UTD).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom