• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Doctor Who 2008 Christmas Special, 2009 Specials and Season 5 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upcoming Special - The Waters of Mars

Trailer.

watersmars3.jpg

Eleventh Doctor Revealed! - Matt Smith Is The New Doctor.

mattsmith2.jpg

matt-smith-dr-who1.jpg

The BBC today announced that Matt Smith has been cast in the role of the Doctor in the iconic BBC series Doctor Who. Smith will be the eleventh Time Lord and will take over from David Tennant who leaves the show at the end of 2009. He will be seen in the forthcoming fifth series that will be broadcast in 2010.

Matt Smith said of his new role "I'm just so excited about the journey that is in front of me. It's a wonderful privilege and challenge that I hope I will thrive on. I feel proud and honoured to have been given this opportunity to join a team of people that has worked so tirelessly to make the show so thrilling.

Lead writer and Executive Producer Steven Moffat said "The Doctor is a very special part, and it takes a very special actor to play him. You need to be old and young at the same time, a boffin and an action hero, a cheeky schoolboy and the wise old man of the universe. As soon as Matt walked through the door and blew us away with a bold and brand new take on the Time Lord, we knew we had our man. 2010 is a long time away but rest assured the Eleventh Doctor is coming - and the universe has never been so safe."

Doctor Who assistant is unveiled

Assistant.jpg

Little-known actress Karen Gillan has been unveiled as the next assistant in Doctor Who.

The 21-year-old will star alongside new Time Lord Matt Smith in the new series, to be broadcast next year.

Gillan has already appeared in the drama, having played a Soothsayer in The Fires Of Pompeii in the last run.

"I am absolutely over the moon at being chosen to play the Doctor's new companion. - I just can't wait to get started," she said.

Doctor Who 2008 Christmas Special airing in the UK today. Hopefully it isn't another RTD penned trainwreck. :p

Christmas Special - The Next Doctor

doctorwhocs2008.jpg

Trailer.

I hereby declare this thread - OFFICIAL.

You couldn't have waited two more posts in the old thread though!! It was about to reach 1000!! :lol

Also, I didn't mind last year's Christmas special. I thought it was fun, except for the whole Buckingham Palace thing.

The_Inquisitor said:
Fuck BBC America for being a season behind and instead showing Season 4's X-mas special AGAIN.

When will Sci-Fi show the special? Also, when is it on CBC here in Canada?

Argh my full title was too long!!:lol Was gonna have "and Steven Moffat fawning" added at the end. Oh well. :p Would a mod kindly chop off the "/Ne" part for me?

DoctorWho said:
You couldn't have waited two more posts in the old thread though!! It was about to reach 1000!!
lol I'll post in there again for ya. :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sweet, new thread! Cybermen Christmas is GO. :D

The fan in me wants to cry at you for using Season 5 instead of Series 5, though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Isn't Donna being gone the greatest Christmas gift Dr. Who could give us?

I'd like to see Callum Blue for the 11th Doctor, but no matter what, I'd most like to see is a Doctor more like Eccleston's darker, grittier Doctor.

CallumBlue4.jpg

DrForester said:
Isn't Donna being gone the greatest Christmas gift Dr. Who could give us?

I'd like to see Callum Blue for the 11th Doctor, but no matter what, I'd most like to see is a Doctor more like Eccleston's darker, grittier Doctor.

I still don't understand the Donna hate. She is my favourite companion of New Who.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I couldn't stand her, the shrill voice, annoying personality...

My favorite was Martha, followed by Rose, who I didn't fully appreciate until Donna came along (kind of like how Batman and Robin will make you look back fondly on Batman Forever).

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Regulus Tera said:
Sweet, new thread! Cybermen Christmas is GO. :D

The fan in me wants to cry at you for using Season 5 instead of Series 5, though.

If it's the Season you're worried about rather than the 5 then you're not a true obsessive fan.

iapetus said:
If it's the Season you're worried about rather than the 5 then you're not a true obsessive fan.

What is this, series 31? I think the Next Doctor might be the 200th story as well!!

DoctorWho said:
I still don't understand the Donna hate. She is my favourite companion of New Who.

She was quite good and got better. And her story was one nice big arc. And she didn't fawn all over the doctor and fall in love. +3 right there.

Holy shit!! New Doctor Who episode today!!!

Any word on how these specials are going to be released? Am I better off buying them individually or will they box them in a set?

There will be individual ones, but don't buy 'em - they hate putting extras on those discs.

Also, over New Years they're showing the Doctor Who Prom. I was there when it happened, bloody brilliant. Got photos with and autographs of Ben Foster and Murray Gold!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Can't wait to catch this. I can't believe I didn't like Who when I was younger. I blame it on the fact that it aired at stupid times here in Canada.

Ikopi

Meh. The beginning was very good, but once the Cybermen came in full force, it became pretty tame.

The Cybermen King was vintage RTD and very dull. Also, the CGI was subpar, especially in the factory part. When the King came out of the Thames, it made me think of Ghostbusters, and after that, Transformers :D

But, Morrissey was excellent, especially when he still thought that he was the Doctor. And the new Tardis was brilliant :lol

But RTD really has passed his expiration date, shame there are still a couple of episodes with him left.

Near the end it seemed to be "well, this is a Christmas special, we've got to have SOME big thing for the casual audience."

It was so so.

Nothing in it was too irritating or groan worthy like the last Christmas special, but it did seem like a leftover story with a big budget.

+1 for not having irritating bad actors
+1 for not having Catherine Tate
-2 for having the least threatening Cybermen of this series.

Gagaman

It was like the ending of the Iron Giant again, only not. Cyber king was awesome, shame it didn't get to do much.

Was very predictable, that said it was much better than last years. I really wished Morrissey had become the next companion though rather than him ending up all happy with his son, would of been very interesting to see someone travel with the doctor due to their abilities and because they had nothing left in there time rather than some annoyingly perky character who just wants to see time, space and all that Jazz.

Remy

Perhaps worth posting for those of us who haven't seen The Next Doctor yet:

Outpost Gallifrey said:
Confirmed on tonight's broadcast of "The Next Doctor"... the next Doctor Who special, airing in early 2009, will be Planet of the Dead starring David Tennant. More details when available.

Eteric Rice

Anywhere to watch this online?

America doesn't have it, and BBC are a bunch of assholes and won't allow Americans to watch it on their site. :(

Parl

Reasonable episode. I didn't expect anything fantastic as it's rare RTD writes great episodes, so no disappointment. Slightly better than most Christmas specials I remember, but overall not too good.

Eteric Rice said:
Anywhere to watch this online?

America doesn't have it, and BBC are a bunch of assholes and won't allow Americans to watch it on their site. :(
I watched it on BBC iPlayer, but didn't know it wasn't allowed outside the UK. I guess it would be a bit unfair as people already complain about the price of the TV license, so they don't want to be paying BBC's server cost for foreigners to watch it, however relatively negligible.

Surprised to see some of the reactions in here, I thought it was fantastic. My new favourite Christmas special. While there were few surprises, I thought the action and suspense were fairly consistent and I thought Morrisey did a great job. Also
Cyberking was fucking awesomesauce! We don't get a sentinel in the X-Men movies but we get something like this on the BBC... awesome!!

I was hoping that there would be a hook that would lead into the next episode but the name alone made me happy.

Great episode, a lot of fun!

DKehoe said:
No more Daleks or Cybermen please. It's been done too much.

I'll agree with that but we'll probably see them over and over again. Especially since the BBC paid for the rights to use the Daleks and I'm sure the Cybermen costumes weren't cheap either.

I'd be surprised if they went through a year without using either of them.

DKehoe

DoctorWho said:
I'll agree with that but we'll probably see them over and over again. Especially since the BBC paid for the rights to use the Daleks and I'm sure the Cybermen costumes weren't cheap either.

I'd be surprised if they went through a year without using either of them.

Someone else had the rights to the Daleks?
I'm paticularly sick of seeing the daleks, each time they kill of the last of them then act like its a massive surprise about how they appear again despite it happening at least once a season so far. Is especially annoying when the other stuff the writers come up with is much more interesting.

DKehoe said:
Someone else had the rights to the Daleks?
I'm paticularly sick of seeing the daleks, each time they kill of the last of them then act like its a massive surprise about how they appear again despite it happening at least once a season so far. Is especially annoying when the other stuff the writers come up with is much more interesting.

Yeah it is a bit annoying everytime especially with the Daleks. I mean it's cool when the show hasn't been on the air for while but the omg the Daleks are up to the ultimate evil is getting tiresome.

It's like the Borg. Too much of anything no matter how cool it is, is a bad thing and creates bad habits.

I'm also tired of the Daleks and Cybermen, especially since they have ended up factoring into the final episodes of most of the new seasons. I'm hoping Moffat goes out of his way to create a new set of recurring villains.

It was a bit of a let down. I certainly hope episodes like this are what we have to look forward to in 2009.

Also: My sister seems to think the next Doctor will be a woman. If that happens I'll head over to the BBC and kill someone.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Napoleonthechimp said:
It was a bit of a let down. I certainly hope episodes like this are what we have to look forward to in 2009.

Also: My sister seems to think the next Doctor will be a woman. If that happens I'll head over to the BBC and kill someone.
The Doctor's Daughter?

Napoleonthechimp said:

I don't care if the doctor's a women, a black dude, a midget or whatever. I just hope Moffat takes over relatively soon. Unlike most of GAF I don't detest RTD but like anything I am ready for a change after awhile.

DKehoe

Stoney Mason said:
I don't care if the doctor's a women, a black dude, a midget or whatever. I just hope Moffat takes over relatively soon. Unlike most of GAF I don't detest RTD but like anything I am ready for a change after awhile.

Same, he did a good job bringing it back but I think its time for a change.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
David Thewlis (Dragon Heart, Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Harry Potter 3+) is another one I wouldn't mind seeing as Dr Who.

DThewlis2.jpg

Stoney Mason said:

Paterson Joseph's name has been popping up alot, even before Tennant announced he was leaving the show.

_45223777_joseph226.jpg

Stoney Mason said:

I'm still not to sure of the timeline. This Christmas special doesn't count as one of the "Three specials" as far as I know. Is that the same for next year's Christmas special? So we have three Doctor Who specials to look forward to before December 25th next year? I guess next Christmas is when Moffat would start.

Eteric Rice

I thought it was a fine episode, but yeah, Cybermen and Dalek have been overdone now.

I think Moffat can make some truely fresh, scary villians for the Doctor, though.

Just watching the
CyberKing
scenes again. I think that is a phenomenal special effects job for television. You don't see anything on that scale on television besides BSG and they do a fantastic job themselves. If you are expecting anything on level with a feature film, you are reaching. Actually, I think it was better than half of the shit I saw in that last Mummy movie. That had some terrible effects work for a feature film in 2008.

I wonder if the specials have still been given a full season budget?

Eteric Rice

You know, some part of me wants there to be a Doctor Who anime one day.

This makes me want to die, but if done right I think it could be fuck awesome.

Zen

Banned
Has the Doctor ever been anything other than an eccentric white British guy? Escaping those staples of the character would be a risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom