• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Doctor Who 2008 Christmas Special, 2009 Specials and Season 5 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ghost said:
Apparently they are announcing the new Doctor on Doctor Who Confidential on BBC1 this Saturday at 5:35pm.

Pretty amazing that it hasn't leaked yet as that's a taped show and they apparently have an interview with him/her

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7807742.stm

One of you better post who it is as soon as it gets announced for those of us not living in the UK. :(

sp0rsk said:
Damn, can't wait to find out.

Do we know how is doing the casting?

I'm assuming you meant "who" and it almost certainly is Moffat.

Thomper

sp0rsk said:
Damn, can't wait to find out.

Do we know how is doing the casting?
Moffat/Moffat's team. It's the first thing they wanted to get out of the way before starting with Series 5 properly: casting the new Doctor. And as Doctor Who is Moffat's show starting that series, the Doctor is his choice.

Given Chiwetel Ejiofor's slew of movies he's been in I think he's too big for the role. But I could see Paterson Joseph (who's been on many British TV shows recently) as the Doctor.

THE identity of the next star of Doctor Who will finally be revealed tomorrow and as far as bookmakers William Hill are concerned, the identity of the new Doctor is a foregone conclusion.
"We've now closed the book on betting as one clear favourite has emerged," said William Hill's spokesperson Rupert Adams. "Every bet we've taken in the last 24 hours has been for the actor Patteron Joseph.
"You can never tell of course, what with the amount of blogs and forums on the internet touting names and giving false impressions, but he's been the clear leader."

I hope it isn't him.

Nothing to do with talent, never seen him in anything, but just to shock everybody.

JonathanEx said:
I hope it isn't him.

Nothing to do with talent, never seen him in anything, but just to shock everybody.

He'd be so good if Moffat could write him as having shades of Johnson from the Peep Show in his personality.

I'm familar with Patteron Joseph from Peep Show but since I don't live in the UK I'm not overly familar with him in anything else but honestly that goes for most of the people mentioned as possible replacements.

Like I've said many times before I like Tennant but I'm ready for a slightly less whimiscal take on the doctor. I always love what Christopher Eccleston did with the role not that the new doctor has to be a repeat of that character.

It always intrigues how British TV is so different from American TV. In America a star would hang onto the role of Doctor Who for dear life and never let go but it always amazes me in a good way how the new Doctor Who show has rotated Doctors and cast members in and out.

Amir0x

Banned
I love Christopher Eccleston too. When trying to explain why, I always fall back on an aspect of the Doctor character which is always under the surface: that intense power that causes some of the most frightening races in the galaxy to fear him. With Eccleston he had that intensity where you could - when he unleashed that anger - understand what was scratching beneath the surface and accept why aliens may fear him.

I felt much of that was lost in scenes where Tennant had to lose control (like at the start of S3). I just didn't feel he really had a believable anger and frightening dominance to him, which is one of the most appealing aspects of the character... that inevitably, he destroys everyone he cares about just being who he is.

If the new Doctor can bring that back, I'll be happy.

Amir0x said:
I love Christopher Eccleston too. When trying to explain why, I always fall back on an aspect of the Doctor character which is always under the surface: that intense power that causes some of the most frightening races in the galaxy to fear him. With Eccleston he had that intensity where you could - when he unleashed that anger - understand what was scratching beneath the surface and accept why aliens may fear him.

I felt much of that was lost in scenes where Tennant had to lose control (like at the start of S3). I just didn't feel he really had a believable anger and frightening dominance to him, which is one of the most appealing aspects of the character... that inevitably, he destroys everyone he cares about just being who he is.

If the new Doctor can bring that back, I'll be happy.

To me the difference was pretty simple.

Tennant seems generally happy with moments of despair and anguish
Eccleston seemed mostly world weary with moments of genuine wonder and delight.

Both are valid takes on the character but I think I just sort of like the latter a bit more than the former. That being said Tennant did really nail that sort of living for the moment and mostly being happy and trying to push back the sadness vibe. He did a good job and this is from someone who sort of had to grow to accept and like him which means he won me over which is always a good sign.

And in a way, they both worked for their times. The darker, sombre take from Eccleston from the back of Time War (and in a way loneliness after the show being cancelled :p) and then the more energetic, fun theme we saw with Tennant as the Doctor believed the time war was over with the death of the Daleks and falling in love with Rose. However, that's not to say he hasn't been an absolutely fantastic Doctor, and actor too.

I'd love to see what Moffat would do running the series with a more Eccleston-esque Doctor.

Xater

I will probably not know the actor they pick I jsut hope it will be a good one. So far their track record is good.

Pro Tip for BBC Publicity

If your press release is still hinting the next Doctor could be female by using "he, or she" in it, don't put out a trailer on BBC One for 'The Eleventh Doctor' with David Tennant saying 'It's exciting, I am very jealous of the chap who's coming next'.

Anyhoo. I'm excited. I'll finally be able to talk publicly about it being me.

Well, I liked the Christmas episode. You absolutely can't go wrong with a steam-powered giant robot. Having said that, the resolution was a bit 'the Doctor fixes everything with a beam of some kind' (although this is a staple of the series, like in The Invasion of Time which I watched recently).

As for the 11th Doctor, I was looking for a picture of Paterson Joseph wearing his 'I am from space' t-shirt from Mitchell & Webb, but I couldn't find one so you'll just have to imagine it. (Or look at a video clip http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AIxz6BDmTNU ).

Oh god. It's not him, is it? I'll never be able to take him seriously.

Anyhoo, that's fine, because it's not him, it's me. But if he did do it, he'd look like this.

nextdoctor.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I've only seen Patterson Joseph in Neverwhere. Don't remember much about his performance other than the characters slightly eccentric appearance.

DrForester said:
I've only seen Patterson Joseph in Neverwhere. Don't remember much about his performance other than the characters slightly eccentric appearance.

I haven't seen Neverwhere since it originally aired about a million years ago and I never knew he was in it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It seems weird that after 10 regenerations of being a white guy he would suddenly turn black. Or is it just me? I dunno, being a woman, a black dude, asian dude, it would seem out of place to me.

Though I'd probably get used to it anyway.

sp0rsk said:
It seems weird that after 10 regenerations of being a white guy he would suddenly turn black. Or is it just me? I dunno, being a woman, a black dude, asian dude, it would seem out of place to me.

It's simple really: just put the Doctor in a situation when he needs to regenerate into a smooth black man. So basically any time will do.

SupahBlah

Banned
I think Patterson would be good, be interesting to see how he'll play The Doctor and how they'll use his race when they travel to the past but then again no one comments on his attire. :lol

If you can remember the gaming side topic that you can find any game with a trailer set to Linkin Park?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j9Cnt28C3A

sp0rsk said:

It's TV and fiction. The fact that he keeps needing to fight the Daleks at the end of every season despite destroying them a dozen times is no more weird than that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
broadwayrock said:
Paterson Joseph was one of the 'contestants' in the Doctor Who episode Bad Wolf aka the robot Weakest Link.

You mean just like Colin Baker was Commander Maxil in the serial Arc of Infinity? O=

Xater

sp0rsk said:

Nah I don't care, but I have only seen two iterations so that might factor in.

Amir0x

Banned
Do you think his mind really works like "I WANT TO BE A WHITE MALE", rather than "I just want to look like a male of the human race"? Actually to me it'd be significantly more awkward if he turned female

Xater

Amir0x said:
Do you think his mind really works like "I WANT TO BE A WHITE MALE", rather than "I just want to look like a male of the human race"? Actually to me it'd be significantly more awkward if he turned female

Would that make him a tranny?

SupahBlah

Banned
Amir0x said:

It could just be "I want to be Human"

Then it wouldn't matter if The Doctor was female.

Amir0x

Banned
SupahBlah said:
It could just be "I want to be Human"

Then it wouldn't matter if The Doctor was female.

Yeah it could be, but i still don't think it would make much sense from the character. He experienced most of his memories being of human male appearance, it'd be truly bizarre if he suddenly wanted to change to female. There's an element of self-identification, of the masculine sort, that would seem out-of-place if he suddenly grew a vagina.

Zenith

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
I'm familar with Patteron Joseph from Peep Show but since I don't live in the UK I'm not overly familar with him in anything else but honestly that goes for most of the people mentioned as possible replacements.

he was in Moffat's Jekyll and Hyde.

SupahBlah

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yeah it could be, but i still don't think it would make much sense from the character. He experienced most of his memories being of human male appearance, it'd be truly bizarre if he suddenly wanted to change to female. There's an element of self-identification, of the masculine sort, that would seem out-of-place if he suddenly grew a vagina.

Personally I think The Doctor should never be female, especially as it shows you him growing up a boy when he looks into the vortex of time (the one he said he ran away from)

Regulus Tera said:
So are you trying to prove or disprove him as the next Doctor?

Neither. I'm just posting screenshots in case people cant remember him in the episode.

I'm more worried about who's going to be the next assistant than the next doctor.

Ravidrath

Hey, I just found this thread.

I enjoyed the Christmas ep, overall. I agree with a lot of the criticisms, generally, but I guess since I'm pretty new to Who I'm used to the sorta zany nature of RTD's stuff. That said, I recognize Moffat's stuff as being infinitely superior, and can't wait for him to take over.

I didn't think it was as inconsistent as some did, either. There were only a handful of Cybermen, and they had extremely limited resources, which is why they had to resort to the "primitive conversions," children and chicanery to build the Cyberking. That said, when the Cybermen do inevitably return, I'm hoping they're different for Mercy's reprogramming... a different faction or subclass of Cybermen... or, I am almost loathe to say, Cyberwomen.

And as others have noted, I'm really hoping we'll see some new recurring villains, some the Doctor has no history with, no idea how to handle and is actually afraid of. Something like the creature in the episode "Midnight" last season, maybe? Maybe not that exact thing, but something new he'd be similarly fascinated and terrified by... something that's capable of using the Doctor's greatest asset, his mind, against him.

While I'm not yet (completely) tired of the Daleks and Cybermen, I'm ready for something new, and ready for them to start expanding the universe than simply reiterating it - give the Daleks and Cybermen a break for a year or two so they can be exciting again.

Eteric Rice

I don't think he should turn into a woman. If he did, what would be the seperation between a male and female time lord/lady?

I think they should remain their own gender, but an Asian doctor would be interesting. :D

Or, an American one! :O

Actually, Chiwetel Ejiofor would probably make a pretty good doctor.

Eteric Rice said:
I don't think he should turn into a woman. If he did, what would be the seperation between a male and female time lord/lady?

I think they should remain their own gender, but an Asian doctor would be interesting. :D

Or, an American one! :O

Actually, Chiwetel Ejiofor would probably make a pretty good doctor.

I agree with this. I don't like the idea of The Doctor turning into a woman as much as I don't like the idea of Romana or The Rani turning into a man. Keep him the same gender please!!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
doctorwho said:
I agree with this. I don't like the idea of The Doctor turning into a woman as much as I don't like the idea of Romana or The Rani turning into a man. Keep him the same gender please!!

You just don't want him to gender switch because you've gone and called yourself doctorwho on the internet and everyone will think you're a girl! :p

tbh Moffat was involved in choosing so I have faith that whoever they've picked will work with where he's taking the show. Even if it's James Nesbitt.

Gowans

I love Tennant but my god I would love the next Doctor to be THE JOHNSON!

Also did anyone watch yesturdays Doctor Who at The Proms BBC Special?
I missed it will have to grab it online

I really doubt they'd change the sex of the Doctor. After all, there were female Time Lords, and I have a feeling the regeneration is a rewriting of the genetic code already there (ie: XX or XY or whatever fancy Chromosome-like-things Time Lords have). While the doctor had a "daughter" by just having XX, I just don't think it works that way... normally. :p

As for the problem with him being "non-white", I really don't see the issue? I mean, really? Really?

Alex Dee

Neo Member
Gowans007 said:
Also did anyone watch yesturdays Doctor Who at The Proms BBC Special?
I missed it will have to grab it online

I was there, spectacular show. They cut out the non-who compositions/Song for Ten and fixed a bit where the choir went HIDEOUSLY out of tune, so the tv version was pretty cool. Not a patch on being there though.

And please Johnson for The Doctor, please.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Dragona Akehi said:
I really doubt they'd change the sex of the Doctor. After all, there were female Time Lords, and I have a feeling the regeneration is a rewriting of the genetic code already there (ie: XX or XY or whatever fancy Chromosome-like-things Time Lords have). While the doctor had a "daughter" by just having XX, I just don't think it works that way... normally. :p

As for the problem with him being "non-white", I really don't see the issue? I mean, really? Really?

I dunno, just a continuity thing.

I guess, when I think of black men in the Doctor Who universe, I think of Noel Clarke from the Big Finish Dalek dramas, and he's terrible.

In Moffat I trust, though. How many hours till the news breaks, anyway.

Clevinger

This is the wrong series to worry about continuity. To me, like a guy said a few posts ago, a black Doctor is nothing compared to the Daleks/Cybermen/whatever being annihilated and somehow brought back every season.

Got my fingers crossed for Patterson, but have a feeling it won't happen.

At least with the new series they left the tenuous get out clauses for the Daleks and Cybermen in most cases.

I'd have more of a problem with the Doctor changing gender then changing ethnicity - I think it's the time lord/lady thing as people have talked about before, and sure, the Doctor is a character who can change, but it'd seem wrong for that change. Black Doctor, not much of a big deal. In fact, I think him going American would be a bigger deal. There's nothing in the storyline to say there can't be an American Doctor, but as a British show, sure, he's an alien, that would just be horribly wrong.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Even leaving aside the classic series cannon that's already in place, the fact that the tenth Doctor has already admitted that he had a family pisses all over the idea of gender swapping when regenerating.

What the hell would you tell your wife? "Sorry love, got exterminated by a Dalek. You'll have to be a lesbian now. Maybe we can adopt?" You couldn't hold a family unit together if there was a chance either spouse could change sex.

That the companions are already far stronger characters in the new series makes the idea of of making the Doctor a woman redundant. All it would do is add more soapy drama as the Doctor attempts to resolve relationships with old companions who knew her as a man. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom