• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football Thread 2007/2008 (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Bendtner talked a lot about being amazing...needs to start putting it into action and polishing his skills.

Seriously, RVP cannot come back soon enough, it's amazing that we've done so well without him but he is quality that can just make things happen.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Fabregas has found his form in san fransisco.

Nice shot by theo but we have to start shooting away from the keeper.

2 minutes. we can do this!

MrSardonic

Fucking hell...we'll live to regret the inability to put a shot somewhere other than where the keeper was having his tea. Away at Milan is going to be tough. Night would have been better if Man Utd had lost.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Lyon vs Man Utd

What a snorefest. Man UTd midfielders can't get a pass right, Hargreaves was crap, Carrick didn't do any better, Anderson wasn't doing much, Ronaldo barely had the ball, i almost fell asleep.

Arsenal is dead. 0-0 going into San Siro? Lol

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
I like this. This is the best result short of a win for us. They didn't score.

We can now draw 1-1 at the san siro(which i have no doubt we'll be able to do if RVP is involved) and take it.

Ryck

MrSardonic said:
Fucking hell...we'll live to regret the inability to put a shot somewhere other than where the keeper was having his tea. Away at Milan is going to be tough. Night would have been better if Man Utd had lost.
No sour grape juice for you buddy... seriously tho this is CL I want all english clubs to do well..

hadareud

The Translator
I love it how they make it seem like a defeat, it's not.

0-0 at home in the first leg is not a bad result, not even remotely. Yeah we should have scored - but that's because we're the better team. We can score away from home, and Milan are not guaranteed to score against us. They were lucky today, but we'll go through.

1 goal away from home and they are in big trouble - Milan would find it extremely difficult to score twice against us.

MrSardonic

How in the name of fuck did Adebayor miss that open goal. HOW THE FUCK!

At least Milan didn't look like bothering us at all for the whole game. Hopefully that will be repeated during the 2nd leg.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
well going to the San Siro at 0-0 can't do anything but tell us we are fucked unless we pull a miracle performance.

Karakand

WrikaWrek said:
Arsenal is dead. 0-0 going into San Siro? Lol
Well this is AC we're talking about...

Maybe they can pay a bunch of Englishmen to populate the stands so the squad thinks they're playing away again. :lol

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Should have won it Arsenal. Lots of chances, and I can only really remember 2 good ones for Milan. Easily the better side, but Milan will go away happier. I still think the tie could go either way, I doubt Milan have often found themselves outplayed like that even away from home, but they do have to go down as favourites now. Still, Arsenal can definitely score against them, so an away goal could make all the difference.

No idea how the United match went generally, but great result. I actually thought they'd still go through even if they went to Old Trafford a goal down, they're so much stronger at home, but the away goal puts things massively in their favour.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't know why the San Siro is that mythical place. Milan have scored in the last 12 Champions League games, they haven't today. They might have a great home record in the CL too - they won't do against us.

Why? Because they haven't come up against a team better than them. Now they have.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I think Barca are the first side through. Celtic will need to score at least 2, and even then hope Barca don't score. Just not gonna happen.

All the other ties could still go either way, even if some sides have the edge.

-viper-

Banned
Ryck said:
To be fair Eduardo is also a SMF and V nistelrooy is not... Rooney has played on the wing however... Henry, Walcott etc etc...

Edit: Lyon just scored..... :( 1-0
SMF? Says who? Pro Evolution Soccer?

Eduardo is not a winger. Wenger simply decided to play him on the left because he is left footed.

WARCOCK

Banned
hadareud said:
I don't know why the San Siro is that mythical place. Milan have scored in the last 12 Champions League games, they haven't today. They might have a great home record in the CL too - they won't do against us.

Why? Because they haven't come up against a team better than them. Now they have.

As a milan fan, i have to agree with that statement. We got obliterated today and if it wasnt for kalac you guys would have gone through over 4 TIMES(lololzz). The only serious opportunity was that header tipped off of Maldini's head(geezer played well tonight, surprisingly). When the "best footballer in the world" continously fumbles the ball to the opposing team you have to sit down and ask yourself some questions. Pirlo was completely out of it, not only for those awful set peice attempts but he kept crossing into empty lonely space. Hat's off to Arsenal for an amazing display, far more impressive then yesterday's Liverpool offensive against 10 men. You need some luck in football, we got lucky. There just isnt any otherway to address this. The San Siro will not magically make our midfield and attack mesh, this war is farrrrrr from over and as of now id bet on ARSE.

Shinobi

I would've taken this result a month ago, so I too don't get what the big calamity is. Yeah we should've scored, but the important thing is we kept AC off the scoresheet. 0-0 at home is a hell of a lot better than 1-1 (see last year vs PSV).

Let's not forget that Arsenal became the first English team to win at the fabled Barnebau a couple years ago, when the whole universe was picking Real Madrid to run us out of Europe. San Siro isn't anymore scary than that place.

And the Fenerbache/Sevilla result is the reason why I'm glad we avoided the Turks...it's hard to get up for an unknown quantity. It's plenty easy to get up for the defending CL champs (again, see last year vs PSV).

Man U and Barca are through...playing the second legs would just be a waste of time and energy. Just spare all clubs involved the annoyance and call the ties final.

Karakand

As a tried and true Arsenal hater I'll just say this: I'm not writing my troll post for their CL exit at San Siro
yet

Don't know how anyone could feel otherwise if they'd watched the match today.

h0pper

WARCOCK said:
As a milan fan, i have to agree with that statement. We got obliterated today and if it wasnt for kalac you guys would have gone through over 4 TIMES(lololzz). The only serious opportunity was that header tipped off of Maldini's head(geezer played well tonight, surprisingly). When the "best footballer in the world" continously fumbles the ball to the opposing team you have to sit down and ask yourself some questions. Pirlo was completely out of it, not only for those awful set peice attempts but he kept crossing into empty lonely space. Hat's off to Arsenal for an amazing display, far more impressive then yesterday's Liverpool offensive against 10 men. You need some luck in football, we got lucky. There just isnt any otherway to address this. The San Siro will not magically make our midfield and attack mesh, this war is farrrrrr from over and as of now id bet on ARSE.

I thought we outplayed you as well, but it's still going to be tough at the San Siro. I do appreciate your praise though, it's a big change around here to see someone comment like this. ;)

hadareud

The Translator
yeah that was an Henry goal if I've ever seen one :lol

Seville incredibly lucky with the result going by the highlights, should have lost higher.

-viper-

Banned
Arsenal need Rosicky or RVP back ASAP.

Rosicky can make a difference to this team. He offers directness and has a good shot on him too. He plays at a quick pace unlike Hleb, who is very undirect, passes the ball and never shoots.

Van Persie... man. It would be like signing a new player. Not seen him play in zillions of years.

Lakitu

st5fu
One thing annoyed me about Arsenal today, they constantly have a good opportunity to put the ball in the back of the net but they always hit it straight at the goalkeeper with a weak shot. They could have 2 or 3 today if they hadn't of done that.

h0pper

Lakitu said:
One thing annoyed me about Arsenal today, they constantly have a good opportunity to put the ball in the back of the net but they always hit it straight at the goalkeeper with a weak shot. They could have 2 or 3 today if they hadn't of done that.

+1

we were shooting like the Arsenal of last year.

Odd game.

We dominated posession for long periods of time but tbh didn't do too much with it, at times our passing was woeful, the midfields really cancelled eachother out. Ronaldo did nothing the whole game.

Subs made the difference, Nani was miles better than Giggs who kept giving the ball away. Lyon really weren't that good though, very few chances, Govou their best player. They managed to score from nothing and other than Juninho's free kicks not much else occured to worry VdS (except rio :p )

They defended very well, even Boumsong who appears to have improved from Newcastle days. Our woeful passing and their good defending was making 1-0 a likely result until the subs shook it up a little.

We'll have them at Old Trafford.

Arsenal don't give up yet, Milan's home form is all over the place this season. Celtic are gone.

Ronok

QVT said:
Oh god Eboue's playing this is a loss :'(

FUCK! WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?! WHY MUST WE PLAY THIS USELESS SHIT? GO GET A RED CARD AT LIFE YOU CUNT!

You're so badly too harsh on Eboue. He gets caught up in games and gets sent off a bit much but just a short while ago he was getting called one of the best attacking full backs in the world after Lauren left. He had a really good game today like everyone else and should have got a penalty.

The game really was awesome in my eyes. Even though we only got a draw we proved to ourselves we can beat this Millan side.

Hopefully we bring this same attitude to Italy. :)

Ronok

Cedeo said:
Arsenal, you blew your chance. Can't see you getting anything from a Champions League tie at the San Siro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9G3S-LpcQY

I can't see it being the same score and it obviously wasn't against the same team but it's not like the San Siro is foreign ground for Arsenal. :-/

Anyway, like I said before, if we play like we did today there we will have a great chance of going through. I'm mainly happy we didn't conceed an away goal today as I hate that rule. :-/

Shinobi

Lakitu said:

And this is coming from a Liverpool fan. :lol

Ronok

I just looked at Milan's results at the San Siro this season and it's not even THAT good a record. :-/

The San Siro name alone really isn't such a scary thought. :-/ It'll take a good performance but that's to be expected right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom