• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Gran Turismo HD Concept Thread

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SolidSnakex said:
It's possible as that's where Polyphony unveiled GT4 Prologue.
Yeah, I'll have to look around for the exact auto show it was and the details. But IIRC it will be around Q3/Q4 of this year.

sif

Bad_Boy said:
SSX, wasnt there news that we would see more about GT5 at a Tokyo auto show? My memory sucks right now, but I think I remember something about the next time we would see it.

No, that definately sounds familiar:

Yamauchi also promised an official announcement for Gran Turismo 5 before the next Tokyo Motor Show, scheduled for October 27, 2007. We plan on getting close and personal with the GTHD Concept demo until then.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/751/751831p1.html

Gek54

sif said:
Actually poly count is around 100,000 per car. For reference that is about the same as the top PGR3 models, Polyphony Digital's artist really deserve a pat on the back, even the door handles don't show any visible poly edges for god's sake!

They are stunning but I would be really amazed if we dont see some 'optimizations' when they get 6 cars on the screen at 60fps.

It seems like even with a full set of cars on the screen, they simply cannot release at a level any less than this. It will definitely be a great technical achievement. We'll have to see though, the engine is in place, it just might take ALOT of work to get it all up and running for the final product.

sif said:
Actually poly count is around 100,000 per car. For reference that is about the same as the top PGR3 models, Polyphony Digital's artist really deserve a pat on the back, even the door handles don't show any visible poly edges for god's sake!
Because poly count is much higher than 100k per car. Kaz said that cars in GT5 will be 100 times more detailed than they were in GT4. 5k x 100 gives 500k.

Compare lights, wheel arches, wind shields, roofs.

Edit: but if you have some source that claims otherwise, than I will nicely agree with you ;).

How many polys does one F1 car have (Formula 1 06)? GT5 will probably be using more refined tech that would run faster on SPU's like Ted Price said last week.

I think GT5 will have more cars on screen then some of you are expecting

sif

Gek54 said:
They are stunning but I would be really amazed if we dont see some 'optimizations' when they get 6 cars on the screen at 60fps.

The game is 60fps, even at 1080p, already (minor slowdown aside). I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect that by the time the game is shipped they could increase the car count, even with these models. Maybe they already have but didn't implement this because they finally realised how much of an embarassment those GT1 AI routines are to a game that ships on a console 2 generations newer than those that they were originally coded for. That said some sort of progressive mesh type of method, combined with intelligent culling algorithms will certainly be used on the cars further from the front of the screen, What is the point of spending your poly budget on parts of cars that cannot even be seen form the players viewpoint?

sif

Ynos Yrros said:
Because poly count is much higher than 100k per car. Kaz said that cars in GT5 will be 100 times more detailed than they were in GT4. 5k x 100 gives 500k.

Compare lights, wheel arches, wind shields, roofs.

Edit: but if you have some source that claims otherwise, than I will nicely agree with you ;).

Apologies if I just made it up then, but I remeber seeing a wireframe miata comparison between GT4 and GT:HD and as I remember either poly data to go with it or a dev giving the impression that poly count was not as outstanding as we were all expecting, given the way the cars look. Remeber Forza 1 used more polys per car than GT4 yet to me at least the GT4 models were better looking.

EDIT: I was definately wrong, just look at this:

061110-234917-1280x1080i-000134.jpg

compared to a 107k poly PGR3 model, (not the same car, but for comparisons sake)

726_0004.jpg

Core407

Banned
Gek54 said:
Sure, Drifting is like foo foo figure skating but in a car. Real men dont figure skate. Any other questions?

But the sound of the tires screeching over my 5.1 system gives me major wood.

Gek54

sif said:
Remeber Forza 1 used more polys per car than GT4 yet to me at least the GT4 models were better looking.

PD's Lighting and texture tricks >*

Forza's cars were technically more accurate as far as poly's and shadowing.

sif said:
Apologies if I just made it up then, but I remeber seeing a wireframe miata comparison between GT4 and GT:HD and as I remember either poly data to go with it or a dev giving the impression that poly count was not as outstanding as we were all expecting, given the way the cars look. Remeber Forza 1 used more polys per car than GT4 yet to me at least the GT4 models were better looking.
In case of GT4 you could say that the lighting and details made it stand out. Modelling wise, FORZA had much better looking cars.

With GT4 Polyphony was constrained by technology, in case of GT5 they have latest and greatest. GT5 will showcase how far racing games can go this gen, but with progressing nature of motorisation, there will be GT6 with new cars and some other improvements.

I'm all wet and stuff for it.

Edit: Told ya, Polyphony is best of the best, cheers mate ;).

Jesus o_O, that wireframe doesn't look like a wireframe at all. More like a Blueprint, especially seeing as how most of the polygons are dedicated to the edges and corners, and very few to the wide open areas like the hood.

sif said:

EDIT: I was definately wrong, just look at this:

Keep in mind that's a bit misleading as the PGR3 wireframe is not showing obscured geometry whereas the GT5 one is.

This is probably a better comparison.

After seeing that model I think they might be toned down in the final game, but considering how much is modeled that the player won't even see it shouldn't really mean much to how the car looks. That models nearing the point of overdoing it. :p

WHOAguitarninja said:
Keep in mind that's a bit misleading as the PGR3 wireframe is not showing obscured geometry whereas the GT5 one is.

There is no comparison, for every polygon in that McLaren model there are 5 in GT5's Miata model. And Miata is far from being as important as F1.

mr_nothin

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:

still alot more geometry in the GT5 wireframe

Ploid 3.0

Good someone bumped this thread. Where can I find a good drifting tutorial :(? I never tried drifting in any GT and I want to get ready for GT5 with GT:HD.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Good someone bumped this thread. Where can I find a good drifting tutorial :(? I never tried drifting in any GT and I want to get ready for GT5 with GT:HD.
You should start off with a Skyline, since it's a powerful rear wheel drive car. What you have to do is go into the corner, turn as much as you can, release gas, tap handbrake once, and push pedal to the metal trying not to spin out. Drifting is SO much fun.

KTallguy

Banned
Gek54 said:
PGR3's garage models get reduced when driving in game: Fact.

Wow, I had no idea.

Sorry to be OT, but does anyone know if the models in Motorstorm are the same when you're picking your car and when you're driving?

a little OT:

I want to get a PS3 just for these racing games. This will be my first time trying them what type of wheel should I get?

When is 5 expected?

Smiles and Cries said:
a little OT:

I want to get a PS3 just for these racing games. This will be my first time trying them what type of wheel should I get?

When is 5 expected?
If you aren't a total geek, you should get Logitech Driving Force Pro - it's an amazing wheel, and isn't as expensive now.

GranTurismo 5 is scheduled to come out in 2008 (spring I believe), with GT5 Prologue coming out this fall.

PS: What's the difference between Fall and Autumn?

Pimpwerx

I would hope PD is aiming for more than 6 cars, b/c Vision GT definitely gave the impression that we'd be seeing a full field of cars (a dozen or more). VisionGT actually showed 20 cars on track at once. It's certainly possible too. Considering what PD pulled on the PS2, and considering the rather opaque nature of racing games, the LOD and backface culling should work to their advantage. I mean, you don't need to see the full car when playing. Only at certain times. I would gladly sacrifice visual fidelity for a full field of cars as moving through traffic is a big part of racing IMO. PEACE.

DarkRage

Do we know if those models are actually used for the in-game assets of GT5?

I'm asking that as in many cases artists use models with a much higher number of polys that are reduced (via normal mapping, or nothing at all) for the game.

That picture could show the original wireframe (even coming from a blue-print) and not the final model for the game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SolidSnakex said:
After seeing that model I think they might be toned down in the final game, but considering how much is modeled that the player won't even see it shouldn't really mean much to how the car looks. That models nearing the point of overdoing it. :p

Is this overdoing it to you SSX? :lol

0289.jpg

0266.jpg

Pimpwerx said:
I would hope PD is aiming for more than 6 cars, b/c Vision GT definitely gave the impression that we'd be seeing a full field of cars (a dozen or more). VisionGT actually showed 20 cars on track at once. It's certainly possible too. Considering what PD pulled on the PS2, and considering the rather opaque nature of racing games, the LOD and backface culling should work to their advantage. I mean, you don't need to see the full car when playing. Only at certain times. I would gladly sacrifice visual fidelity for a full field of cars as moving through traffic is a big part of racing IMO. PEACE.

12 is IMO the sweet spot, I don't want to be slowed down by guys that can't get their moves together.

PS360

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
What do you think of this SSX?

pshd44.jpg

pshd45.jpg

It's amazing how many times I've seen these pictures...especially because I took them :D

Have plenty more. Where did you get these ones? I've posted them in a ton of forums including PS3forums, TXB, and here I think too...just curious.

Yes, revel in the beauty that is the 46" Bravia XBR3 + GT:HD in 1080p.

It looks beautiful, all i'm saying is they could probably drop the number of polys and still get a similar result if needed. Although they might not even need to.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PS360 said:
It's amazing how many times I've seen these pictures...especially because I took them :D

Have plenty more. Where did you get these ones? I've posted them in a ton of forums including PS3forums, TXB, and here I think too...just curious.

Yes, revel in the beauty that is the 46" Bravia XBR3 + GT:HD in 1080p.

You got more? Post 'em please.

Top Bottom