• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP) Import thread of Convoluted Nonsense

Dogenzaka

Banned
You know the wait would have been really easy had it been planned to come out in March like I hoped.

Now that it's Summer 2010, your posts are making it difficult. Lol.

duckroll

PataHikari said:
What's equipment like, duckroll?

The only equipment in the traditional sense is just keyblades. There are no accessories to equip, instead you equip/learn passive abilities by fusing commands. When you fuse commands to create new commands, you throw in a crystal to add an ability to that command. There are various different types of crystals, each representing a category of passive abilities, they are dropped by enemies or found in chests.

So for example, you fuse Fire and Fire, and you get Firera, but you throw in a time crystal - the Firera command will have Magic Haste attached to it. When you equip the Firera command on your command deck, you will have one level of Magic Haste equipped as well as a passive command. When you fully master Firera (keep it equipped, keep fighting to gain CP until it levels up enough and maxes out) you will permanently have that level of Magic Haste.

In this sense, all your command skills are considered "equipment".

OK that's pretty intresting.

So basically you permanently learn passive abilities by leveling up the active skills? Sounds like a good idea. Can the passive skills stack? Like, for instance if you learn two Magic Haste skills do you get Magic Hastera?

And I'm guessing that the keyblades are like they are in KH2 and 358/2 Days? Equipment with their own unique passive skill.

duckroll

PataHikari said:
OK that's pretty intresting.

So basically you permanently learn passive abilities by leveling up the active skills? Sounds like a good idea. Can the passive skills stack? Like, for instance if you learn two Magic Haste skills do you get Magic Hastera?

And I'm guessing that the keyblades are like they are in KH2 and 358/2 Days? Equipment with their own unique passive skill.

Passive abilities stack up to the max number of levels they can have. For example you can have up to 3 HP Up, and up to 5 Attack Haste or Magic Haste, but there are also abilities which are single purpose (like Libra) so it makes no sense to stack.

Keyblades have no abilities attached to them, but they have an attack stat and a magic stat, and also sometimes different properties. Some are shorter in reach, some are longer, some do more damage when you land critical attacks, some make critical attacks more common, etc.

duckroll said:
Keyblades have no abilities attached to them, but they have an attack stat and a magic stat, and also sometimes different properties. Some are shorter in reach, some are longer, some do more damage when you land critical attacks, some make critical attacks more common, etc.

Darn that kinda sucks.

In KH1 there wasn't any real reason to equip any of the older weapons because of that, but in KH2 and Days the stat boosts offered by a weapon aren't that high, instead they all gave a passive skill. Sure, some were situational (you don't often need more Draw of Item Boost) but they were still useful.

duckroll

PataHikari said:
Darn that kinda sucks.

In KH1 there wasn't any real reason to equip any of the older weapons because of that, but in KH2 and Days the stat boosts offered by a weapon aren't that high, instead they all gave a passive skill. Sure, some were situational (you don't often need more Draw of Item Boost) but they were still useful.

The keyblades in BbS are not always automatically stronger than the previous one you get. Some are higher in Magic, but lower in Attack. Some are more balanced, but have less reach, etc. While ultimately the later keyblades will be better than the very early ones, depending on your play style and the sort of attacks you favor, a newer keyblade is not ALWAYS the better one.

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:
The keyblades in BbS are not always automatically stronger than the previous one you get. Some are higher in Magic, but lower in Attack. Some are more balanced, but have less reach, etc. While ultimately the later keyblades will be better than the very early ones, depending on your play style and the sort of attacks you favor, a newer keyblade is not ALWAYS the better one.

That is the way that weapons should be handled.

Hope they remember this for Versus.

duckroll

It's time for more pimping of BbS and the great Osaka team which developed this awesome game. Someone on the KHInsider forums has actually bothered to translate the full text of the recent developer interview, so you can all read it here.

Edit: duckroll BbS update: Got all command styles and finishers for Terra, completed all the minigames with good rewards in Disney Town, working on completing all the Command Boards in the Mirage Arena and completing all Abilities and Commands.

Tai Yasue
Co-director. Example games: 'Vagrant Story', 'Musashi: Samurai Legend'.

Apparently this guy did background planning and minor art in Vagrant Story, by proxy my interest is BBS has now gone up. :lol

Jeels

duckroll said:
.. Someone on the KHInsider forums has actually bothered...

Haha, ya, we tend to translate anything we can get our hands on.

You think the whole "we may try to add more to the North American version" is actually something they are seriously considering, or just a bunch of nonsense.

Referring to:

-- At the moment, fans across the world are waiting for the foreign edition - are there going to be any additional elements?

Yasue: We're planning various things, and will decide soon.

Yoshimoto: But the capacity is very close to full, so we'll have to think about how to cut it back (laughs).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Don't care if they add more, just want a date. And if they wait until July or something stupid I'll just import it.

duckroll

Fimbulvetr said:
Apparently this guy did background planning and minor art in Vagrant Story, by proxy my interest is BBS has now gone up. :lol

The "Background Planning" part of the Vagrant Story credits refer specifically to map and level design including the block puzzles. Kazutoya Maehiro was the lead for that division in Vagrant Story, and he went on to become the battle director of FFXII and Last Remnant. Tai Yasue was one of the assistant planners in that division, and he went on become a lead planner on Samurai Legend before co-directing Re:CoM and BbS.

Jeels said:
Haha, ya, we tend to translate anything we can get our hands on.

You think the whole "we may try to add more to the North American version" is actually something they are seriously considering, or just a bunch of nonsense.

Referring to:

-- At the moment, fans across the world are waiting for the foreign edition - are there going to be any additional elements?

Yasue: We're planning various things, and will decide soon.

Yoshimoto: But the capacity is very close to full, so we'll have to think about how to cut it back (laughs).

It sounds more like Famitsu was asking a leading question, and they answered it diplomatically. If the question was "What are you working on right now?" and they said "We are completing work on the overseas version and considering various additional content" then I would say they're seriously considering it, but in this case it sounds more like they don't want to say "No, the game will be identical because we're lazy bastards" so they give the stock answer that they're "considering" it but that "capacity is almost full anyway".

Just my two cents. :)

duckroll

Jeels said:
So basically it's not happening. It's not like they could add much anyway.

I think they could easily add more content if time and budget permits honestly. The game is definitely designed such that adding more content is not an issue if required, much like how KH and KH2 was designed. They could make another Command Board. They could add new commands, command styles, shoot locks, etc. If they add more command styles, they'll automatically have to add more ice cream flavors and recipes. The Mirage Arena could get more levels. The minigames can all get additional levels. They could add more keyblades. The interesting thing about the design of BbS is that new content can be easily added to expand the game without compromising the rest of the design.

I've finished the entire game twice now, and I'm still playing my Proud Mode clear saves for each character to complete the collections of commands, abilities, optional content, etc. Adding more which just mean more optional content for users, which would not be a bad thing at all. The only question is whether it makes sense for them to add more content and to put that content through the same level of quality check and polish as the rest of the game, and still be able to release it in the US by the middle of this year.

Jeels

Like Kagari, I'd rather they release this in April or something instead of add anything. But hey, it wouldn't hurt.

Would be a great start with a Q1.

I'm sure if the game gets additional content, then Square Enix will make a Birth by Sleep Final Mix just to mock us westerners.

duckroll

Nomura gave an expanded answer on what to expect in the overseas version of KH BbS in Famitsu this week. They are planning to include Critical Mode, and they're also tuning the game balance. Some bosses which are deemed too weak will be made stronger, and Megaflare will be toned down because it is overpowered. They are also going to make various changes to event scenes, to make some events easier to understand and so on.

As for a Final Mix version for Japan, Nomura says he will decide on whether to do one depending on how much more improved the overseas version ends up being in comparison to the original Japanese release.

He also mentions that he wants to release a Kingdom Hearts game every year, to avoid running into the problem where years go by without much news and fans get impatient and feel neglected. As for the next KH game, the main character is not Sora. When asked if he will be releasing KH3 in time for the 10th anniversary of the series (2012), he refuses to comment, but says that the mysterious entry he mentioned earlier will come out first.

duckroll said:
As for the next KH game, the main character is not Sora.

If there is one absolute truth of KH games, it's that everyone is either Sora or Xehanort somehow. NO EXCEPTIONS.

2zoes1g.png

Ergo, we'll be playing as Xehanort. Awesome!

duckroll

OH FUCK YES! I GOT ULTIMA CANNON! SUCK IT IRON PRISONER IV! :lol :lol :lol

Man, buying Vanish made all the difference in the world for that fight. Feels so fucking good to WIN! OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeels

Nomura gave an expanded answer on what to expect in the overseas version of KH BbS in Famitsu this week. They are planning to include Critical Mode, and they're also tuning the game balance. Some bosses which are deemed too weak will be made stronger, and Megaflare will be toned down because it is overpowered. They are also going to make various changes to event scenes, to make some events easier to understand and so on.

Just read that, I know which mode I'll be playing.

Peff

Critical Mode was quite difficult on Final Mix+, so maybe it's a better idea to go with Proud first. Good to see they're including changes, I can't wait for the
announcement of Birth By Sleep Final Mix X two weeks before the
european release!

Peff said:
Critical Mode was quite difficult on Final Mix+, so maybe it's a better idea to go with Proud first. Good to see they're including changes, I can't wait for the
announcement of Birth By Sleep Final Mix X two weeks before the
european release!

What's so different about Critical Mode? I never got to play it because SquareEnix is full of jerks.

Peff

PataHikari said:
What's so different about Critical Mode? I never got to play it because SquareEnix is full of jerks.

Basically your maximum HP and MP are cut to half, enemies deal double damage and you get less experience. On the other hand, you start with 50 AP and get more every time you get an AP bonus to allow you to set a more strategic approach to battles, which was very enjoyable :D Also, if you still find that easy, there's a "No EXP" ability to keep your level 1 all the game :lol

Pureauthor said:
If there is one absolute truth of KH games, it's that everyone is either Sora or Xehanort somehow. NO EXCEPTIONS.

2zoes1g.png

Ergo, we'll be playing as Xehanort. Awesome!

So Sora was in love with Xehanort the whole time, not Riku. SHAMALHEALEYN TWIST!

duckroll

My Terra clear save is at 24 hours or so now, I've collected all the available commands except for 1 Friend Command which costs 3000 medals, I've completed all mini-games, all the Arena Missions are complete except for 1 Command Board and the Collect 9999 Medal mission. Almost all the collections in his Report are complete. I think with another hour of two of play, I will be able to move on to Ventus' clear save. The only thing I probably won't do with Terra is beating the Secret Boss because I don't really think I can do it with his play style. Maybe with Ventus or Aqua...

Dogenzaka

Banned
So the next KH game won't star Sora, apparently.
In fact, it's apparently KH but it's not going to be under the guise of "Kingdom Hearts"???

-- Now we can’t help but think on what the next game in the series is going to be like.

Nomura: First we have to get “Birth by Sleep” to the West (laugh) Everything with that has already bee decided for the most part. We are thinking about added a Critical Mode, and making bosses we thought were a bit weak stronger. And since Megaflare was too strong, we’ll have to adjust that. Some of the event scenes we’re going to change back to the way they were, and we’ll adjust some scenes so that the story is more easily understandable.

-- Since you’ll be changing so much, does that mean we can expect a Final Mix?

Nomura: Well, first we’ll have to see just how much it becomes different from the domestically released version. But we’d really like to be able to release one “Kingdom Hearts” game a year. We don’t want several years to go by without there being anything.

-- In two years it will be the 10th anniversary for the series. Will we have KHIII by then?

Nomura: No no, we’re going to keep that one a secret (laugh). Like I said before, we still have to release “Mystery” game that will connect the series.

-- Can you currently say whether the series will end with the third game, or anything else about it?

Nomura: “Kingdom Hearts” is Sora’s story, but the series that we’re developing now is also the story of one other person. You could say that it is a series where that person is the core.

-- The series you’re developing now!?

Nomura: “I can’t say anything more than that.”

http://www.ff-reunion.net/ff/2010/02/17/nomura_interview_next_kh_main_chara_not_sora

Translation by Lissar from KHI

One thing I want to point out is:

"Nomura: First we have to get “Birth by Sleep” to the West (laugh) Everything with that has already bee decided for the most part. We are thinking about added a Critical Mode, and making bosses we thought were a bit weak stronger. "

STOP FUCKING DOING THAT NOMURA. It's nice and all and thank you but, it only means you're going to release an even BETTER Final Mix version in Japan and then totally screw us over and not let us have it.

duckroll

Rebirth Wings has a much more detailed summary of the entire Famitsu KH article. Lots of spoilers for Coded and BbS, so those who are avoiding spoilers will want to avoid that. One of his interesting comments about BbS is that Shimomura did not compose all of BbS' OST alone. Ishimoto and Kawamori both contributed about 5 tracks each as well. Ishimoto is apparently responsible for all the Vanitas themes. :eek:

Dogenzaka

Banned
So what Nomura is basically saying is that KH won't necessarily end with KH3, but that the series might live on under the focus of a new character that would be the "core" to the series like Sora was. AKA this game franchise surviving at least into 2020?

Lmao.

I'm going to die before I get closure for these damn games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
duckroll said:
Rebirth Wings has a much more detailed summary of the entire Famitsu KH article. Lots of spoilers for Coded and BbS, so those who are avoiding spoilers will want to avoid that. One of his interesting comments about BbS is that Shimomura did not compose all of BbS' OST alone. Ishimoto and Kawamori both contributed about 5 tracks each as well. Ishimoto is apparently responsible for all the Vanitas themes. :eek:

:eek:

Jeels

duckroll said:

It's here if anyone is interested: http://forums.khinsider.com/spoilers/145648-new-interview-rebirth-wings-need-translation.html I'd quote it but it has major major spoilers.

Duckroll, have you been doing the mirage missions alone? If not, is it possible to?

Vanille

duckroll said:
He also mentions that he wants to release a Kingdom Hearts game every year, to avoid running into the problem where years go by without much news and fans get impatient and feel neglected.

:lol

Appreciate the sentiment Nomura, but we really don't need a new game every year. Just give us updates in a more timely manner.

duckroll said:
As for the next KH game, the main character is not Sora. When asked if he will be releasing KH3 in time for the 10th anniversary of the series (2012), he refuses to comment, but says that the mysterious entry he mentioned earlier will come out first.

This worries me. I think Nomura might be going a bit overboard with all of these side stories. At this point, all the fanbase wants is KH3.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Seriously. I never asked for a game every year. I just want a steady flow of info and progress on ONE game until its release. None of this closed-theater bullshit and announcing a game 5 years before you even plan to show gameplay.

duckroll

Jeels said:
Duckroll, have you been doing the mirage missions alone? If not, is it possible to?

Yes, of course I have. I've completed all of them with Terra except the last one which hasn't unlocked yet. The rewards are pretty good too. Two of the missions have HP Up rewards, the second last one gives you the ultimate shoot lock ability for whichever character you're using, and the last one is where you get Ultima Weapon. The only thing you can't play alone is the Versus Arena, which is deathmatch.

Dogenzaka said:
I'm assuming Birth by Sleep doesn't support Adhoc Party, eh?

Why wouldn't it? No games "support" Adhoc Party, but it's the other way round. Adhoc Party supports pretty much any game which has an adhoc mode. The only issue is that some games don't run very well on it.

Magnus

RadioHeadAche said:
I can't believe the ten-year anniversary for Kingdom Hearts is almost here. I'm starting to feel really old.

:( Thanks for the downer :lol

My friends and I nearly cried last May when we realized the Matrix's tenth anniversary had just passed.

duckroll

I feel good about having completed 100% of Terra's reports, so now I'm continuing my Ventus clear save. Let's see how long it takes me to complete his! :D

duckroll

I'll imagine his work on Agito will be much closer to his work on Crisis Core considering the director. Even though he composed all the Vanitas themes in BbS, the soundtrack itself is still supervised and produced by Shimomura. It's not very much like his solo style at all.

Spiegel

duckroll said:
I'll imagine his work on Agito will be much closer to his work on Crisis Core considering the director. Even though he composed all the Vanitas themes in BbS, the soundtrack itself is still supervised and produced by Shimomura. It's not very much like his solo style at all.

Well, the song in the Agito trailer didn't sound very Crisis Core-ish. And that makes sense considering Agito XIII has a more classical FF feeling.

Anyway his work on CC was amazing too, so I wouldn't mind that :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgStSOzwku8 So good

Phatcorns

How do I look at the command charge recipes? I got a few but are these just general recipes so it lets me see what any two physical commands together make or any two magic commands.

Also, what is the point of the command board? I haven't taken the time to read through the help files because I'm such a slow reader.

Game is ridiculous by the way. I cannot believe how good it is. I think the Kingdom Hearts developers are the best in the world as far as animation and graphics go.

xero273

I mainly use command board for early leveling of the commands. Stronger commands takes too long to level up on command board so I just do regular fights for those.

Vanille

Phatcorns said:
Also, what is the point of the command board? I haven't taken the time to read through the help files because I'm such a slow reader.

It's mainly just used for leveling up your commands, but there are also some commands which you can only get exclusively in the Command Board, such as Shoot Locks. It's actually kind of fun once you get the hang of it.

duckroll

The command board is an EXCELLENT minigame which holds up even at the end. When I first started playing the game, I played a lot of the command board to level up my commands, especially because I wasn't that familiar with the game mechanics and it seemed like a good way to power up commands to use for fusing without risking too much actual combat when I'm weak. The board game was really fun and I found it addictive to play too. But by the time I got to the third character's story I almost stopped using the command board entirely because I was experienced enough to know what commands to use to quickly get through battles, and I could make myself much stronger without going through the minigame at all.

Then after I beat the game in both Standard and Proud Modes, as I returned to the clear saves of each character in proud mode to complete all the collections and optional content, I went back to playing the command board, and this time instead of playing it with the intention of placing commands I needed to level up, I played it solely to win and as a fun game on its own. It holds up really, really well. Even when in terms of pure gameplay connection to the main game it is "useless", the game itself is very polished and fun. Not having to care about what commands you "need" to place on panels also opens up all new possibilities when playing it because then you treat the minigame as an entity on its own and you use every option given to you in the game itself without worrying about consequences in the regular game.

Top Bottom