• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP) Import thread of Convoluted Nonsense

duckroll

Crewnh said:
Well shit.
I deserve it though

I will try my best, sir!

While you're at it, get Nolan North to voice Terra. It would be a great fit. Liam Neeson for Master Eraqus!

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

Despite a slightly abrupt scenario, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is a small jewel of actions and adventures. Varied and intense fights, splendid graphics and very impressive characters upgrade system, we cant praise enough what proves to be the best episode of the series in terms of pure gameplay. On the other hand, regarding the trip to Disney worlds, the title proposes only little interaction with the various universes, the hero is more or less just dropping by in the various worlds. Put aside Aqua and his complicity with Mickey, and you have the impression to be more an helping hand more than anything. Very demanding in term of hardware, the game require to be played on a 1Gb min. Memory Stick, as well as an adapter sector within reach if you want to play under optimum conditions. Without a sufficient Memory Stick to install the game, the loadings waste the experiment. Substract a point from the score if you do not have this accessory. For the others, it's all good as we would like to see more often.

+ gorgeous graphics
+ clever combat system
+ the evolution of the “command”
+ the flexibility of the skills system

- clumsy loadings
- confused minigames
- repeating type of enemies
- little interaction with the Disney heroes

8/10

The other day at work a friend stopped by with as he imported it not too long ago. I told him my displeasure with the last KH game. He handed me this and after 5-6 minutes....going to have purchase this come domestic release....

I'm still coming to terms with my weakness for strong portable efforts, no matter what it maybe.

Bebpo

Banned
Shawn6661 said:
Gamekult.com Import Review

Despite a slightly abrupt scenario, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is a small jewel of actions and adventures. Varied and intense fights, splendid graphics and very impressive characters upgrade system, we cant praise enough what proves to be the best episode of the series in terms of pure gameplay. On the other hand, regarding the trip to Disney worlds, the title proposes only little interaction with the various universes, the hero is more or less just dropping by in the various worlds. Put aside Aqua and his complicity with Mickey, and you have the impression to be more an helping hand more than anything. Very demanding in term of hardware, the game require to be played on a 1Gb min. Memory Stick, as well as an adapter sector within reach if you want to play under optimum conditions. Without a sufficient Memory Stick to install the game, the loadings waste the experiment. Substract a point from the score if you do not have this accessory. For the others, it's all good as we would like to see more often.

+ gorgeous graphics
+ clever combat system
+ the evolution of the “command”
+ the flexibility of the skills system

- clumsy loadings
- confused minigames
- repeating type of enemies
- little interaction with the Disney heroes

8/10

For those worrying about having to play plugged in to play on 333mhz...don't. They warn you that you should, but I got a full 4 hours play unplugged each time on 333mhz. And this is on PSP-1000 original battery.

Also while the loadings could be a little better, the mini-games (while meh) are optional mainly, so I wouldn't really hold that against the game. I'd hold the fact that Deep Space (Stitch) has a confusing terrible level design as a negative over the minigames.

Also I dunno if I'd call it short. If you play all 3 characters you get about 30-40 hours and spend about 60-120 mins in each world. It's not that different from previous KH games.

xero273 said:
Any tips for Ventus during the
ice cream minigame
? I suck at these games..

I think the pattern is the same each time and it's pretty short. Just memorize it. I completely bombed it on my first try, but then I perfected the entire thing on my 2nd and I'm not very good at this genre! I found the other minigames harder tbh.

Dogenzaka

Banned
It's taken a few weeks, but my hype for this game has finally died down.
Which is perfect for me, because I will no longer be tempted to look at spoilers and stuff until launch (although I've already been spoiled quite a bit thanks to careless signatures at Kingdom Hearts forums and lack of spoiler tag usage :l)

duckroll said:
While you're at it, get Nolan North to voice Terra. It would be a great fit. Liam Neeson for Master Eraqus!

This is funny, because I did a semi-popular fandub (that I recorded in the span of like 1 and a half nights) of the BBS Jump Festa trailer on YouTube, and I did the voice of every single character in the trailer besides Aqua and kid-Riku (which a friend helped out on). Anyway, my inspiration for the voice I gave Master Xehanort was behind Liam. I think he's a great actor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP4ZdDstDfM

Unfortunately I don't mimic him quite that well xD

At least it wasn't as bad as my piss-poor interpretation of James Woods.

duckroll

xero273 said:
Any tips for Ventus during the
ice cream minigame
? I suck at these games..

At first I sucked hard too. I'm really bad with following the beat and so on, but then I found out that the game actually has really handy visual signals. If you're not good with the timing itself, just watch the circle that shrinks into the button sign, press the button when the circle has just gone into the button sign and it should be an "excellent".

Hope that helps.

duckroll

RadioHeadAche said:
I know the Final Mix+ secret ending was used in BBS, but is the original one from KH2 shown in some way?

Watch the secret endings again. The one in Final Mix+ takes place right after the original KH2 one. :p

duckroll said:
Watch the secret endings again. The one in Final Mix+ takes place right after the original KH2 one. :p

That's right. It's been a while since I saw the one for FM+, but I knew that was already in the game. I just asked because I beat KH2 out of boredom last night just to watch the secret ending, and it was on my mind.

It's probably my favorite cutscene in the whole series.

desu

Ultimania Cover
14xfjar.jpg

duckroll

The Ultimania is coming out on 25th March, for 1900yen. The 600 page Ultimania will contain not just a fully guide and story analysis, but also an illustration gallery filled with designs and artwork for the game, and interviews with Nomura.

I think I'll definitely have to pick this one up...

Peff

Well, of course it'd be this summer, it doesn't take a genius to predict that. We know they've been dubbing the game for a few months at least and the time frame is the same than their other PSP releases. It will probably be August/September.

duckroll

I wonder why they haven't made any announcement at all yet. Birth by Sleep has officially not been announced for release outside of Japan. They announced 358/2 Days in Dec 2008, and they dated it in June 2009. They announced Dissidia on the same day it was released in Japan. It has now been a month since BbS was released in Japan, and not a single press release. Hmmm...

duckroll said:
I wonder why they haven't made any announcement at all yet. Birth by Sleep has officially not been announced for release outside of Japan. They announced 358/2 Days in Dec 2008, and they dated it in June 2009. They announced Dissidia on the same day it was released in Japan. It has now been a month since BbS was released in Japan, and not a single press release. Hmmm...
Maybe there'll be some additional content or something, but yes, it's odd.

duckroll

badcrumble said:
Maybe there'll be some additional content or something, but yes, it's odd.

Additional content? Hahahahahaha. You might like how Re:CoM got additional content for being released in the US a year and a half after Japan? Oh wait, there wasn't anything! :lol

duckroll said:
Additional content? Hahahahahaha. You might like how Re:CoM got additional content for being released in the US a year and a half after Japan? Oh wait, there wasn't anything! :lol
Sure there was!

There was the english dub!

Dogenzaka said:
Man if KH3 ever came out on PS3 THAT is how I want it to look <3

I'd rather they just keep the same exact assets and just up the res to 1080p and clean up the jaggies. I recently played KH2 on my ps3 and the game looked shockingly good. Best looking ps2 game imo.

duckroll said:
But... KH1... Kurt Zisa, Ice Titan and Sephiroth...

3692015498_13b761b363_o.png

Sacha

duckroll said:
Really? What did they say?

There are photos of the article floating on KH fansites. Don't know if I'm allowed to, um, post such photos over here, but it says : "Square Enix told us that the NA release of Birth by Sleep will hit sometime between June and August."

Pai Pai Master said:
I assume (and hope) you don't mean next summer. But this next coming summer of the year 2010.

Yes, I meant this summer of the year 2010. :D

duckroll

Sacha said:
There are photos of the article floating on KH fansites. Don't know if I'm allowed to, um, post such photos over here, but it says : "Square Enix told us that the NA release of Birth by Sleep will hit sometime between June and August."

Scans aren't allowed, but that quote is pretty good news!

Jesus Christ that's enormous. I hope someone translates some of the better bits - would love to hear about the development process for this team in particular.

Dogenzaka

Banned
So GameInformer says Square-Enix told them that BbS would release in NA between June and August.

I'm sorry....you started voice-acting in December and it's taking you 6-8 months to localize? That is ridiculous.

It takes you twice as long to localize a PSP game than it does to localize the original KH2 on the PS2?

Square-Enix is terrible at localizing quickly. In a day and age where Heavy Rain ships with many languages on one-disc, I find this pretty disappointing.

Oh well....I start the wait here I suppose.

Dogenzaka said:
So GameInformer says Square-Enix told them that BbS would release in NA between June and August.

I'm sorry....you started voice-acting in December and it's taking you 6-8 months to localize? That is ridiculous.

It takes you twice as long to localize a PSP game than it does to localize the original KH2 on the PS2?

Square-Enix is terrible at localizing quickly. In a day and age where Heavy Rain ships with many languages on one-disc, I find this pretty disappointing.

Oh well....I start the wait here I suppose.
Maybe it takes 6-8 months to negotiate a PSN download release in international markets?
Just in time for Birth By Sleep: Universal Tooning!

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Maybe it takes 6-8 months to negotiate a PSN download release in international markets?
Just in time for Birth By Sleep: Universal Tooning!
It didn't release on PSN in Japan, what makes you think it would in the US?

duckroll

Completed Aqua's story in Proud Mode. Some time comparisons:

First Playthrough, Standard Mode, No cutscenes skipped:

Terra - 13 hours 30 minutes
Ventus - 13 hours 30 minutes
Aqua - 9 hours

Second Playthrough, Proud Mode, All cutscenes skipped:

Terra - 8 hours 30 minutes
Ventus - 7 hours 30 minutes
Aqua - 6 hours 30 minutes

I'll probably use the Mirage Arena to gain a few levels before beating the Last Episode, and then I'll have the Secret Ending unlocked! Woohoo! Combined with the extra playtime I put into the Standard Mode saves post-completion, I've played the game for over 60 hours now lol.

Sacha

Yoichi Yoshimoto and Tai Yasue on the western version of BbS :

At the moment, fans across the world are waiting for the foreign edition - are there going to be any additional elements?

Yasue: We're planning various things, and will decide soon.

Yoshimoto: But the capacity is very close to full, so we'll have to think about how to cut it back (laughs).

Full Famitsu interview can be found here : http://forums.khinsider.com/spoilers/145236-famitsu-interview-bbs-developers-feb-25-issue.html

Confirmed: Western version to have less content than the Japanese version to save them the time of making a Final Mix.

edit:
Nomura-san has said, "We've created a new team that can work on the next numbered 'Kingdom Hearts' title." Is your next work going to be in the 'Kingdom Hearts' series too?

Yasue: That's right. I think that would be nice. I think that next time we can make something even better. In particular we have all sorts of ideas that Nomura put in, and I want to make use of them to make a game-like game for people to play.
I didn't know Nomura had said that, interesting.

duckroll

badcrumble said:
I didn't know Nomura had said that, interesting.

He did. He has referred to his core team as "Kingdom Team Tokyo" and the Osaka outfit as "Team Osaka". He has also specifically stated that with Birth by Sleep they have proven that they can produce a product worthy of the Kingdom Hearts name, and as such the next KH game doesn't have to be from the Tokyo team, which is busy with Versus XIII at the moment.

duckroll said:
He did. He has referred to his core team as "Kingdom Team Tokyo" and the Osaka outfit as "Team Osaka". He has also specifically stated that with Birth by Sleep they have proven that they can produce a product worthy of the Kingdom Hearts name, and as such the next KH game doesn't have to be from the Tokyo team, which is busy with Versus XIII at the moment.
Well, that's good - I suppose this Reconnect thing (or whatever) might be happening before KH3 based on some of the hints he's dropped, but maybe this way we can actually get KH3 before the end of the generation.

Sacha

From reading KH interviews, I always get the feeling that Nomura is a nice guy, and that KH development teams are very dedicated and have so much fun working on their games. KH interviews are always a good read.

duckroll said:
Okay erm, I just tried to fight the secret boss in BbS. Wow... erm... wow. That didn't go well at all! :lol

Do you notice that
secret bosses are usually the only ones with status ailments from FF? Phantom had doom, Kurt Zisa had silence and disable, Terra has silence and disable, Sephiroth had an attack which is basically the equivalent of death, and Vanitas has blind.

Fimbulvetr said:
Do you notice that
secret bosses are usually the only ones with status ailments from FF? Phantom had doom, Kurt Zisa had silence and disable, Terra has silence and disable, Sephiroth had an attack which is basically the equivalent of death, and Vanitas has blind.
Wellllll... not quite, there have been several enemies capable of poisoning you, I think.

duckroll

Fimbulvetr said:
Do you notice that

That's not true at all. In BbS you can get inflicted with poison and stop from regular enemies, and there are bosses which can inflict blind as well, not just the secret boss...

duckroll

Finally got the Mirage Arena up to Level 20 for Terra, attempted to beat the mission which would give me Ultima Cannon... failed! Oh well, at least it isn't INSANE like the secret boss. I think I'll be able to do this with a bit more practice. MUST HAVE ULTIMA CANNON! :lol

Top Bottom