• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden 06 Xbox Preseason Tourney: If you dont play, you arent in the league!

moochball consists of 2 things:

1. play conservative to mildly conservative on offense. not many trick plays, no outlandish 4 wide formations all the time, no bombing it all game. dink and dunk your way down field. never run a play that could feasibly get you sacked when you're just inside fg range (i.e. dont pass when you're on the 30 yardline, regardless of yardage or down, unless it is a very quick short pass with a small dropback)

2. do the same on defense. blitz as a change of pace, but never to put yourself in a possible bad position. high risk does equal high reward, but odds are you wont have to take that risk for your opponent to make a mistake eventually

these things sound simple, but most people dont play that way when it comes to crunchtime. moochball will work for you!

DJ_Tet

Banned
Irish Icon said:
I want the panthers in the league and signed up for them in the tourny.

Tet, hopefully you take the Colts because I never play w. anyone besides the panthers. i'd appreciate it if you could be a Peyton cheeser. :D

Then I wish you luck Mr. Mexico. I am coming after "our" team :)

I still haven't heard about this "Colt curse."

I still haven't heard about this "Colt curse."

in every season of our online leagues last year someone picked the colts, and every year they failed miserably. players who were good with other teams, did great with other teams, but with the colts and all their high powered ratings and so on they just sucked. i dont think anyone finished even close to .500 w/ the colts... maybe fifty?

DJ_Tet

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
in every season of our online leagues last year someone picked the colts, and every year they failed miserably. players who were good with other teams, did great with other teams, but with the colts and all their high powered ratings and so on they just sucked. i dont think anyone finished even close to .500 w/ the colts... maybe fifty?

I'm sure I'll keep this high standard then :)

I'm about 10 years past my Madden prime but it will be fun to play others "straight up."

ladies if you ever need help or tips and you have a mic i will play you online and point out what you should be doing. i cant give you all my awesome strategies, but it will possibly improve your chances

Fifty

FrenchMovieTheme said:

I finished above .500 and made the playoffs. Then my luck ran out as I encountered Norman Hand of the New York Giants. I'll let CK tell that story. As you can see it got to me

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Fifty said:
I finished above .500 and made the playoffs. Then my luck ran out as I encountered Norman Hand of the New York Giants. I'll let CK tell that story

:lol

4th quarter of the NFC Championship game in GAF Season 2. I don't remember the score but Fifty was at the 5 or so yard line with about 7 seconds left, no time outs, a touchdown wins the game. I'm in a panic because it's the colts offense, I have no chance with that year's Giants defense. We line up and Fifty snaps the ball. My SCRUB defensive tackle Norman Hand beats the colts center and right guard and bull rushes Peyton Manning. He gets the sack and there wasn't enough time to lineup again for another play. I basically won the right to go to the superbowl on a fluke missed tackle. :lol

hgplayer1

something i just realized is I forgot how to change my audibles at the play selection screen. I thought it was hold L+R and pick the play but that doesnt seem to be working

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
We aren't allowed to manually blitz the QB, that is certain, but are we allowed to manually charge after them if they step out of the pocket?

We aren't allowed to manually blitz the QB, that is certain, but are we allowed to manually charge after them if they step out of the pocket?

absolutely. infact it's encouraged if a qb is leaving the pocket or if you can switch and have a shot at him. the reason manual blitzing at the start is banned is because it's so cheesy... although this year it doesn't seem to be very effective. still banned!

DJ_Tet

Banned
Does manual blitzing include being a defensive end? I play safety too, but I do like to use defensive ends. Does manual blitzing mean being a blitzing player at all or can you use the end in a normal starting position? I'm not someone who brings a player outside and guns at all, just want a rule clarification, and perhaps some general rules for people that haven't played in a league yet. Thanks for all your hard work FMT.

Fifty

FMT is free to tell you all the complicated rules, but I can answer that question. Line play is perfectly fine, and as long as you aren't lining up unrealistically outside the tackles then you'll be fine with whatever.

yeah you can play the line and blitz if you like. but i will tell you right now if you plan on winning you better learn to play either LB or safety

Fifty

Yeah, or you could be a real man and Rolle with Samari.

Rolle_Samari.jpg

hgplayer1

hgplayer1 said:
something i just realized is I forgot how to change my audibles at the play selection screen. I thought it was hold L+R and pick the play but that doesnt seem to be working

thanks for all the replies guys *hugerolleyes* i seemed to have figured it out

DCX

DCX
FrenchMovieTheme said:
relax chum, i didn't see you request a team :D you are in the tourney
:) Question, Vision Cone or not for the tourney and season? The Bills same as the season for me...gotta try to be consistent.

DCX

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
who wants to play tomorrow night at midnight, I am off all week... so is whatever.. can someone explain how this vision cone works?? button wise and outcome... i dont think I have to worry that much with trent green, but i still wanna know...

i was hoping gamestop would call me this weekend and say madden was in so i could get a little play time before i have to go get the wife.

you guys do understand you'll be facing the 2004 NFL Quarterback Challenge Champion right?

or was that carson palmer? ugh, im watching too much NFL Network.

p1_delhomme.jpg

"i'm the champ! im the champ!"

Andokuky

Banned
Ok I want to sign up. I know I'm a nobody here but I've been in countless online leagues since NFL2k1 came out on Dreamcast. Sorry if I missed it in the rules but can you pick a tournament team already taken? If so I'll take Denver. If not I'll take the Jets. I think they were available.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
as far as I know, no one can pick the Patriots.

I hope the tourney isn't this weekend... I'm expecting to show up for a birthday party for my Grandma. Out of town this weekend more than likely.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Lonestar said:
as far as I know, no one can pick the Patriots.

I hope the tourney isn't this weekend... I'm expecting to show up for a birthday party for my Grandma. Out of town this weekend more than likely.

Why not? The only problem team is the Falcons. But we have to see if they are as overrated as they were last year.

Andokuky

Banned
Yea sorry I read the post further down page 1 where picking the same team is addressed. I'll take the Jets if they're still available. Shit maybe EA will be on the ball with a roster upgrade and I can even have Law.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
:lol @ Dskillz being listed twice.

With the selection of the Jets, the only four teams left are the Bengals, the Browns, the Rams, and the Titans.

Bengals and Rams are pretty good in game. Chad & Rudi Johnson with TJ Housh. :0 Marc Bulger with Tory Holt and Isaac Bruce. :0

Fifty

Bah! It's all about choosing your home team anyway. Wouldn't you feel dirty picking the Pats instead of the Seahawks? Anyway, this is just a tournament...we'll see soon enough if any team is actually worth being banned in league play.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
FrenchMovieTheme said:
ladies if you ever need help or tips and you have a mic i will play you online and point out what you should be doing. i cant give you all my awesome strategies, but it will possibly improve your chances

Well...last year with the 49ers, it was "just give your RB the ball and let him run forward for 10 yards." :lol

Well...last year with the 49ers, it was "just give your RB the ball and let him run forward for 10 yards."

and no one could stop it :D guess what, no one is going to stop it again

hey, If i'm not in this i'm still in the league right? I'm dependable!

drey i linked you to this thread on AIM a few days ago... i will put you down. what team do you want?

Lonestar

btw, is this tourny like, "stay logged in and play non-stop, till the winner wins?" I still loose all PC connection when I run Live, I can't do anything but play Live!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
and no one could stop it :D guess what, no one is going to stop it again

Blasphemy Barlow had no chance, now Llyod, that bitch was jesus in a niner uniform...

w9_brandon_lloyd_lg.jpg
never forget

and are we going to do an actual tournament through EA or are we going to play and report scores...

Fifty

Lonestar said:
btw, is this tourny like, "stay logged in and play non-stop, till the winner wins?" I still loose all PC connection when I run Live, I can't do anything but play Live!

No, that's only a quick tournament. We'll do a real tournament most likely. I have the same thing where I'm on my PC or xbox, not both.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Lonestar said:
well, they were banned last year, if I knew they were available...

They weren't banned last year, the ban was on me using them. :(

If anyone needs any tips, DON'T ask me because I am hording all of my awesome strategies this year. All that shit came back to bite me in the ass with Lone, Truelize, Slo, and JasonA - so fuck it this year!

DCX

DCX
The game is on it's way!!! I will be online tonight after 11PM if anyone wants a go at it..

DCX

Lonestar

Who was collaborating with the statistical power? ME!

I think I beat you only once, right?

Top Bottom