• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Up to 7.5k on my kart-only license using mostly Daisy + Wild Wing. I've come to the conclusion that people whining that karts were too slow (or bikes too fast) simply didn't want to put effort into power sliding. If you squeeze as many mini-turbos out of a track as possible you can stay right up there with Mach and Bowser Bikes.

I still prefer speedy bikes because of the tight cornering, but being able to slam people off a track and be just as fast is pretty awesome :lol

2DMention said:
I know I've been playing Mario Kart way too much online because I was driving home from work today and I was behind a slow motorcycler and I was thinking to myself: "Pop a wheelie dumbass! You're going too slow!!":lol :lol

:lol

I've had similar thoughts. Wish I had a red shell or bullet bill for some of the asses I see. :D

i'm sure this has been asked and answered a trillion times, so i'm sorry. BUT what's the best strategy for getting the starting-beep boost at the beginning of each race?

Hunahan

Banned
notjackbauer said:
i'm sure this has been asked and answered a trillion times, so i'm sorry. BUT what's the best strategy for getting the starting-beep boost at the beginning of each race?
Start gunning it right after the number 2 appears.

cool! and while you're so graciously answering my questions, how do i unlock the other cups? do i have to beat the normal ones on 150 in single player?

Bogus

notjackbauer said:

Just hit the gas a little bit after the "2" shows up, but before it disappears. 3... 2..*gas*. 1... boost.

Edit: D'oh.

Tritroid

Just got the game.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but isn't B supposed to be Hop/Drift? Every time I press it while turning it does nothing.

Bogus said:
Just hit the gas a little bit after the "2" shows up, but before it disappears. 3... 2..*gas*. 1... boost.

Edit: D'oh.
I'd start a bit earlier - there is a gradual difference in boosts. The longer you hold gas before the race starts the better your boost gets. it doesn't matter all that much in races but can make a difference in time trials.

samratty

notjackbauer said:
Hold accellerate when Lakitu points up -rather than to the left- on count number 2. If you do it before that you'll spin out.
The quicker you press the more boost you get.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
notjackbauer said:
cool! and while you're so graciously answering my questions, how do i unlock the other cups? do i have to beat the normal ones on 150 in single player?

Beat the cups on 50, 100, or 150 cc.

Proven

notjackbauer said:

Each cup is like it's own game mode, so to unlock the last four cups you have to beat the previous set of cups before it. This means the top two to unlock lightning, and then lightning for star, and then the bottom two for leaf and whatever comes after leaf as well. Unfortunately, this also means you have to do this again for every engine class.

ruffles

Nabster92 said:
JOIN OUR IRC ROOM. It's sooo much more convenient to set up games and be able to chat with everyone while playing. We're at:

server: irc.globalgamers.net
channel #gaf_sb

And for those too lazy to actually use an irc client. I think Blizzard said in the brawl thread this should work as well:

http://www.globalgamers.net/?p=webchat
use gaf_sb as the channel name.

And I hear of this chatzilla thing working as well in which to get to us you would type "/server irc.globalgamers.net" and then "/join #gaf_sb".

And this is a direct link to the web base version:

http://irc.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=GlobalGamers&room=#gaf_sb
just type in your nick and you're set.

Pretty sure you can get on through pidgin as well if you happen to use that already.

So NO EXCUSES! Maybe if we get enough of us in the channel we could make a new room that has a title more oriented around gaf_wfc or something rather than smash.

^^^^^^^^^

Threi

notag
Ok extended play i rate the control schemes:

Wiimote + Nunchuk >> Wheel >>>>>>>>>>> Classic Controller

I havent used GCN controller so i can't comment on it.

This game really holds up well online. Its one of those "play a little bit everyday" type games that are rare nowadays.

GG Nintendo.

Alex

I have all three consoles this gen, and this is by far my favorite online game this gen this far. Really simple and quick to get going, but also polished with great functionality.

Banned
I've sent ghost data to my friends, and they haven't received it. I think the notification of the ghost sending is a bit jacked, yeah?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
mariogg7.jpg

TAYREL713

And this may have already been discussed but has anyone noticed that the people you race in worldwide and regional races Mii's appear in the Mii Parade? I only noticed this because of a very distinct Mii I raced against and I go to the Mii Parade (I like to see how much it has grown) and there is said Mii along with a bunch of others I recognized from various races. Also,you know how Miis appear in various forms around the game, when playing online does my competitor see my Mii's or his/her own?

Proven

TAYREL713 said:
And this may have already been discussed but has anyone noticed that the people you race in worldwide and regional races Mii's appear in the Mii Parade? I only noticed this because of a very distinct Mii I raced against and I go to the Mii Parade (I like to see how much it has grown) and there is said Mii along with a bunch of others I recognized from various races. Also,you know how Miis appear in various forms around the game, when playing online does my competitor see my Mii's or his/her own?

That first part is very cool. You won't suddenly see them populating your game, but if you ever see a cool Mii you could run over to the Mii Channel and get it on your console for good.

As for the the last part, I'd guess that each person sees Miis from their own console. Someone could test this by deleteing/transferring their Mii Channel data to an SD card so they have no Miis except a few that they could save by Wii Remote and put back quickly, and then play online a couple races. If they see any Miis besides the ones they put on themselves, that would answer your question.

Milabrega

We're about to start a MK room if anyone is interested. Come join the Irc to share FC's express which modes you want to play and trash talk...

Nabster92 said:
server: irc.globalgamers.net
channel #gaf_sb

And for those too lazy to actually use an irc client. I think Blizzard said in the brawl thread this should work as well:

http://www.globalgamers.net/?p=webchat
use gaf_sb as the channel name.

And I hear of this chatzilla thing working as well in which to get to us you would type "/server irc.globalgamers.net" and then "/join #gaf_sb".

And this is a direct link to the web base version:

http://irc.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=GlobalGamers&room=#GAF_SB
just type in your nick and you're set.

Pretty sure you can get on through pidgin as well if you happen to use that already.

edit: Direct link url fixed to go straight to it.

RagnarokX

Just got a Wii message saying tournament 2 is coming. It's on GBA Battle Course 3 and requires Wii Wheels. It's a drive through gates challenge.

Nintendo- "Clear the gates in order in GBA Battle Course 3. This race is for Wii Wheels only! Look at the map carefully and clear the gates quickly. This tournament ends 5/24."

Avrum

RagnarokX said:
Just got a Wii message saying tournament 2 is coming. It's on GBA Battle Course 3 and requires Wii Wheels. It's a drive through gates challenge.

Nintendo- "Clear the gates in order in GBA Battle Course 3. This race is for Wii Wheels only! Look at the map carefully and clear the gates quickly. This tournament ends 5/24."

Damn, I'm a chuck'mote user myself. Guess I gotta get acquainted with the Wheel then.

Well been playing for a bit, my copy finally arrived a few days ago. >_>

Having loads of fun with it, seems to be just as much a blast as the others have been. Some really great new tracks and some old favs, I love how in MK they include tracks from the other games, as a long time fan I appreciate it a lot.

I even just won my first race online. :D

Don't understand the hate the game gets, I really don't. Game is pure multiplayer magic and one of the first things I break out if I'm in need of an awwweesome fun pick up and play game that I don't have to worry about explaining to people how to play.

Sounds like the kind of Mario Kart game I want to me.

Threi

notag
I know bikes are faster, but bullying people on the track with large karts is just too fun :lol :lol

King Boo + Offroader ftw (odd combo, but i like it :D)

Haunted

The new competition is for wheels only? nice. Next one karts only, please.

I play this game way too little. My backlog is overwhelming me already and Wiiware is due next week. :(

maxmars

Haunted One said:
I play this game way too little. My backlog is overwhelming me already and Wiiware is due next week. :(

I can't even play online as my kids are hogging the game (and wheels). If I want to play some MK it has to be with me as a third player.. Roles are quickly reversing. Eh!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The more I play this game, the more I think EGM was out of their damn minds when reviewing this game. I'm never one to shout "OMG Nintendo haterz!!1!," but I honestly can't see how they reviewed this game the way they did. Unbelievable.

Vagabundo

This game is slowly taking over the WORLD..

Seriously, everyone I know has it and even casuals are getting it. I know someone who is getting a Wii just because of MK!

MK is the new Wii Sports. :D

Vagabundo

StranGER said:
went to 4 stores tonight, all sold out.

never seen a game sold out like this before.

is it really selling that well?

It is still charting high, so it is looking very good for sales of the game. It is a class game and the muliplayer is selling more copies as friends have to have it. It is very similar to Wii sports like that.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Plinko said:
The more I play this game, the more I think EGM was out of their damn minds when reviewing this game. I'm never one to shout "OMG Nintendo haterz!!1!," but I honestly can't see how they reviewed this game the way they did. Unbelievable.

Well the single player is mostly a bunch of bullshit. Online though...

Cheez-It

StranGER said:
went to 4 stores tonight, all sold out.

never seen a game sold out like this before.

is it really selling that well?

It's certainly selling well.

I would imagine the steering wheel and odd shape box might result in some manufacturing, distribution, or stocking issues though.

Had some guests over last night for wine tasting. Not exactly the gamer types. A few showed up early, and caught me playing the game. Both the guy and the girl picked it up pretty quickly (compared to what you might expect) and we played a few rounds. They seemed a bit interested in both the game and the Wii when everyone left. It doesn't seem quite as accessible as Wii Sports to me, so their reaction to the game was a bit surprising to me.

*edit:

Why is the single player BS? Do you mean it's less entertaining than through WFC? I rarely have trouble placing first in 150CC, and my fiancee, who is just getting the hang of power sliding, is placing fairly high and occasionally winning when she tries these races.

Me and a friend have a rivalry going over MK, especially now the competitions are up. I beat him 1.48 to his 1.50 on the last one, now he's beating me 1.08 to 1.11, I cannot accept this!

NomarTyme

So I just started 150cc and getting my butt hand to me. Each time when I lead! something hits me and I can recover, so I end up in 5th place or worst.

Teknoman

Vagabundo said:
This game is slowly taking over the WORLD..

Seriously, everyone I know has it and even casuals are getting it. I know someone who is getting a Wii just because of MK!

MK is the new Wii Sports. :D

Because its that awesome. That and coconut mall's music makes everyone want to race. Fact.

jibblypop

Banned
This game is really winning people over. My roommate who once said "the only good mario kart is the 64 one" is now completely hooked on this game and has retracted his statement.

Everyone is hooked. My girlfriend, my brothers and every single friend i have that plays games. They really nailed something special with this game.

Top Bottom