• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

Dreavus

I used the wheel at first, if only just to try it out. I got reasonably good, but eventually just switched to wiimote and nunchuck. The primary reason was that a lot of the time, coming out of a left hand powerslide into a right hand one, it'd still pick up my turning as powersliding left again, which ends me up in a wall.

I initially switched to GC but the awkwardness of hitting the control pad for tricks turned me off it immediatly.

Cheez-It

I remember seeing some Nintendo WFC stats in threads here at GAF, does Nintendo release this information regularly? I'm very interested to see how many people are racing online...

desh

Dreavus said:
I used the wheel at first, if only just to try it out. I got reasonably good, but eventually just switched to wiimote and nunchuck. The primary reason was that a lot of the time, coming out of a left hand powerslide into a right hand one, it'd still pick up my turning as powersliding left again, which ends me up in a wall.

I initially switched to GC but the awkwardness of hitting the control pad for tricks turned me off it immediatly.

I had almost the exact same experience with my control setup.

The SNES tracks are two of my favorite tracks in MKWii. I just wish they brought over different N64 tracks. N64 Bowser's Castle is great, but there were much better alternatives to the other N64 tracks, eg, Yoshi's Island, Koopa Beach, Toad's Turnpike, Wario Stadium, and Royal Raceway. Although, N64 Mario Raceway is pretty fun on a bike; it's much easier to take those turns on a bike than it was on the N64 karts.

Pojo

Banned
I really don't like the bikes. It sure as hell beats snaking in Double Dash, but really, you can't compete without using a bike and a GC pad.

This is a shame because most people try the wheel for a cup or two, decide that it sucks (partially because the game doesn't even tell you HOW to use it; everyone turns it when you are supposed to tilt it), and use the pad.

Long story short: if you want to win, bikes plus a control pad it is. Wheel-only tourneys would be great

And hey, I really like the older courses (Bowser Castle 3, DK Mountain, Mario Circuit, and Ghost House..2, is it?) are all awesome. Really, though? The game needs a rainbow road cup and some of those courses with the insane jumps (GBA Rainbow Road and that Ghost house from the SNES, I forget which...it had the invisible shortcut, I think?).

Looks like the next contest, which will take place between 6/1 and 6/10, will be a Mario Galaxy inspired boss battle :D :

cont_ph200806-01.jpg
cont_ph200806-02.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rmcj/tournament/index.html

Cheez-It

Awesome. This game has been a very pleasant surprise. I knew I would enjoy it, but... It's seeing a lot more screen time than I expected.

FiRez

Pojo said:
I really don't like the bikes. It sure as hell beats snaking in Double Dash, but really, you can't compete without using a bike and a GC pad.

This is a shame because most people try the wheel for a cup or two, decide that it sucks (partially because the game doesn't even tell you HOW to use it; everyone turns it when you are supposed to tilt it), and use the pad.

Long story short: if you want to win, bikes plus a control pad it is. Wheel-only tourneys would be great

And hey, I really like the older courses (Bowser Castle 3, DK Mountain, Mario Circuit, and Ghost House..2, is it?) are all awesome. Really, though? The game needs a rainbow road cup and some of those courses with the insane jumps (GBA Rainbow Road and that Ghost house from the SNES, I forget which...it had the invisible shortcut, I think?).

I do very good with my wiimote and the bullet kart

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stormbringer said:
Looks like the next contest, which will take place between 6/1 and 6/10, will be a Mario Galaxy inspired boss battle :D :

[IMG]

[url]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rmcj/tournament/index.html[/url][/QUOTE]

HOH SHIT =0

This makes me 200% happier.

Wonder what else is on the disk? Someone needs to find out now! :lol

encountered some hackers today

someone named Hack@you and V , they used an infinite star hack and tried harrassing everyone . It sucked, fucking nintendo!! fix ur game

Davidion

Pojo said:

Play some of the fast staff ghosts and you'll see that some of their kart performances are amazing.

Quite frankly, most people who I've seen play online just aren't good enough to match that kind of caliber, even half-way. End of story.

Stormbringer said:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rmcj/tournament/index.html
This is amazing!

Davidion said:
Play some of the fast staff ghosts and you'll see that some of their kart performances are amazing.

Quite frankly, most people who I've seen play online just aren't good enough to match that kind of caliber, even half-way. End of story.
QFT. And that includes me :(. I have a hard time beating those expert staff ghosts - most are really, really tough to beat. I always like the Coconut Mall ghost, he uses the wheel and the Windy kart (don't know the english word, playing on German - better for the gf) and shows some great powersliding.

Dreavus

SuperAndroid17 said:
encountered some hackers today

someone named Hack@you and V , they used an infinite star hack and tried harrassing everyone . It sucked, fucking nintendo!! fix ur game

Wow that sucks. It was only a matter of time I guess.

Davidion

Phife Dawg said:
QFT. And that includes me :(. I have a hard time beating those expert staff ghosts - most are really, really tough to beat. I always like the Coconut Mall ghost, he uses the wheel and the Windy kart (don't know the english word, playing on German - better for the gf) and shows some great powersliding.

I can beat quite a few of the fast staff ghosts but not all of them. Watch the replay of the expert staff ghost on Peach gardens. The man drives a kart and basically drifts his way through the entire map. I can't beat the guy for shit on my bike.

Quite frankly, I find people overestimate their own skills and blame some kind of game imbalance way too much in this game. I'd say that I'm an above average'ish bike player and watching the fast staff and world champion ghosts will teach me something every time I watch them. What's funny is, the reason why they're so fast rarely, if ever, has anything to do with these so called "imbalances" that people claim are in the game.

Oh, and you're finally on my friend's list. Now all I need to do is get on at the same time as you. :lol As for the hackers...UGH.

Wait, what's going on here?
I don't have Mario Kart Wii, so I don't know. What is that boss battle thing? Some form of downloadable content?

jepense

Davidion said:
I can beat quite a few of the fast staff ghosts but not all of them. Watch the replay of the expert staff ghost on Peach gardens. The man drives a kart and basically drifts his way through the entire map. I can't beat the guy for shit on my bike.
I finally managed to beat all the expert ghosts (using bikes) last week. I was often completely trashed by them initially, but downloading the champion ghosts and competing against them usually helped to shave the necessary seconds from my time. Of course, I still lose to the champions by a huge margin.

Davidion said:
Quite frankly, I find people overestimate their own skills and blame some kind of game imbalance way too much in this game. I'd say that I'm an above average'ish bike player and watching the fast staff and world champion ghosts will teach me something every time I watch them. What's funny is, the reason why they're so fast rarely, if ever, has anything to do with these so called "imbalances" that people claim are in the game.
Yep, the champion ghosts just drive so amazingly well.

Davidion said:
Oh, and you're finally on my friend's list. Now all I need to do is get on at the same time as you. :lol As for the hackers...UGH.
Yeah, I noticed that as well :lol . My gaming hours are usually on the weekends, maybe one day we'll end up being online at the same time. Judging by your staff ghost story you'll give me a proper beating though :D .

How does the game choose what engine class you're using when racing online? It's usually 100cc but I swear I had one race that said it was 150cc

crispyben

Gryphter said:
How does the game choose what engine class you're using when racing online? It's usually 100cc but I swear I had one race that said it was 150cc
It seems it's determined by the VR rating of the racers, and maybe a bit of randomness too.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
crispyben said:
It seems it's determined by the VR rating of the racers, and maybe a bit of randomness too.
I think so also since I noticed that when I played against 4 other people with 7K+ rating we were put into Mirror courses.

crispyben

big_z said:
i wonder if this means there's only a set amount of challenges on the disc that will repeat over and over.
When doing the first contest, I got disconnected and it ended the competition, so maybe it's half disc assets and half online content, and therefore infinite?

Jme

Nishastra said:
I hope they have lots more wheel-only tournaments. I'm 100% wheel here, and always will be :p

I felt the same until I tried the remote+nunchuck. It's ungodly accurate.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Okay, yeah the online features of Mario Kart Wii beat anything else the series has had to offer. Downloadable boss battles? Yes please!

Though I still get really really frustrated by the singleplayer matches. I've known for the longest time that Mario Kart as a series has a habit of cheating AI opponents, but somehow that has never bothered me as much as it has in this version.

nli10

Cheez-It said:
I remember seeing some Nintendo WFC stats in threads here at GAF, does Nintendo release this information regularly? I'm very interested to see how many people are racing online...

They used to, but they stopped the public access programs (WiFiStatus.net I think it was).

Is there a way to easily see how many staff ghosts (expert and normal) someone has unlocked/beaten?

Banned
I was playing Mario Kart with 3 girls, two of which had never played Mario Kart before, and given the option between using the wheel or the nunchuk / wiimote they took the wiimote version.

+1 anecdotal Wheel loses story.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
666 said:
I was playing Mario Kart with 3 girls, two of which had never played Mario Kart before, and given the option between using the wheel or the nunchuk / wiimote they took the wiimote version.

I like the Wii Wheel.
+1 anecdotal Wheel wins story.

Anyways, today I went into GameCrazy expecting to get Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. Turns out that this is sold out (it still sells out?) and I got this instead. I'm pretty happy with it. It's fun and we had a pool party and I played four player and it was quite fun.

The new levels are amazing, and I was really worried about the graphics at first but this game looks great. Whatever team did this did a really nice job.

Davidion

jepense said:
I finally managed to beat all the expert ghosts (using bikes) last week. I was often completely trashed by them initially, but downloading the champion ghosts and competing against them usually helped to shave the necessary seconds from my time. Of course, I still lose to the champions by a huge margin.

I can't beat some of the expert ghosts, I just can't. Maybe I've a stricter limit of how much effort and frustration I'm willing to pour into it but it is what it is.

The champions are amazing. The ghosts I've downloaded reveals incredible, incredible control over their bikes and really intimate knowledge of the courses.

Phife Dawg said:
Yeah, I noticed that as well :lol . My gaming hours are usually on the weekends, maybe one day we'll end up being online at the same time. Judging by your staff ghost story you'll give me a proper beating though :D .

Really? I've tried some of them quite a few times though. I'm friends with Ysiadmihi and CapnDrake here and they're both insanely good so my assessment of myself is likely slightly deflated. Drake has a 3-star average rating. :lol

I actually lost track of which experts I've unlocked (I have records for all tracks) and now I have to go through them one by one in order to figure out which ones I have in order to unlock characters. :lol

Ysiadmihi said:
There isn't one.

Actually, I've found what might be one. The jack connecting my remote to the nunchuck might be wearing a bit thin/loose. I've been racing time trials as of late and have ran into several occasions where flinging the remote up for wheelies/tricks have activated my item. :lol

I've been playing the hell out of this game for nearly a month.

With all characters unlocked, about 8600 points online from Vs matches, and 30/32 time trial courses have A rankings, a few almost reaching Regional Top 10 (within 1-2 seconds), but I'm ready to hang it up. My thoughts:

- The wheel sucks. I don't see any justification in using it other than getting three stars above your Mii icon online. I ditched the wheel and never looked back. It is rare that I get defeated by a wheel player online. I have respect for those who are willing to put up with these controls but man, they suck.

- The cheating AI is the worst in the Mario Kart series. Mirror Mode isn't so much racing as it is praying that you don't get attacked by a dozen blue shells, red shells, Bloopers, and POW blocks. There have been many times where I can see the finish line and then I get attacked with so many items that I drop from 1st to 6th. I got all golds and at least 2 star rankings but this shit is unacceptable. Luck trumps skill in Mario Kart Wii Mirror Mode.

- The game is not unbalanced. I've read some whiny comments here and as cheap as the CPU can be, if you can't seem to win with a second or third try, it isn't so much that the game is unbalanced, it is that you suck. Most people are finding out that while they can beat their slack jawed friends, they are getting destroyed online. It is quite the ego shattering experience for some.

- The key to beating the expert ghosts is just to download the WR ghosts and watch their moves. I've always found that I can shave off 5-10 seconds minimum just from watching what they do.

- The online mode is what saved this game. A lot of the game takes several steps back. The new course design in MKWii is far inferior to MKDS, the battle mode is uninteresting, and the AI is painfully cheap, but what kept it from collecting dust is the online. I'm glad that in a month, there has been no instances where I've seen people cheat and people often try to finish the races, even if they are 20 seconds behind everyone else.

I'm pretty much done with the game. Nintendo did a good job with this one.

2DMention

Banned
The Experiment said:
I've been playing the hell out of this game for nearly a month.

- The online mode is what saved this game. A lot of the game takes several steps back. The new course design in MKWii is far inferior to MKDS, the battle mode is uninteresting, and the AI is painfully cheap, but what kept it from collecting dust is the online. I'm glad that in a month, there has been no instances where I've seen people cheat and people often try to finish the races, even if they are 20 seconds behind everyone else.

I'm pretty much done with the game. Nintendo did a good job with this one.

Online mode totally makes this game, I agree. I've had GTA4 and I played it for 3 days and have played MK ever since. I like how they abolished snaking too. I have to admit I don't like the selection of retro courses, though.

Amir0x

Banned
Wow weirdest glitch i ever experienced in a Mario Kart game

I was on the first retro circuit in 150cc, racing GCN Peach Beach. I beat it first place, but the next race was not Yoshi Falls, it was Mario Raceway. And I already had 45/60 points, even though I didn't race Yoshi Falls or Ghost Valley that time.

Doel

666 said:

My gf also heavily prefers the Wiimote+Nunchuck, and won't play it any other way.

She is amazing at the game too and actually unlocked most of the stuff for me :D

Davidion

Phife Dawg said:
Judging by your staff ghost story you'll give me a proper beating though :D .

I'm calling you out on your BS. I took a look at your time trial scores and a whole load of them were way better than mine.

I see you trying to get me off my guard. :lol

The Experiment said:
- The cheating AI is the worst in the Mario Kart series. Mirror Mode isn't so much racing as it is praying that you don't get attacked by a dozen blue shells, red shells, Bloopers, and POW blocks. There have been many times where I can see the finish line and then I get attacked with so many items that I drop from 1st to 6th. I got all golds and at least 2 star rankings but this shit is unacceptable. Luck trumps skill in Mario Kart Wii Mirror Mode.

I swear I'm the only one not getting pelted with boatloads of blue shells on the higher levels. In fact, I'm playing through the 50cc races for rank/unlocks, and I'm being hammered there by blue shells more than ever before. This is considering that I still usually retain first place in the higher rank races.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Amir0x said:
Wow weirdest glitch i ever experienced in a Mario Kart game

I was on the first retro circuit in 150cc, racing GCN Peach Beach. I beat it first place, but the next race was not Yoshi Falls, it was Mario Raceway. And I already had 45/60 points, even though I didn't race Yoshi Falls or Ghost Valley that time.

Means you are too awesome.

Davidion said:
I'm calling you out on your BS. I took a look at your time trial scores and a whole load of them were way better than mine.

I see you trying to get me off my guard. :lol

I swear I'm the only one not getting pelted with boatloads of blue shells on the higher levels. In fact, I'm playing through the 50cc races for rank/unlocks, and I'm being hammered there by blue shells more than ever before. This is considering that I still usually retain first place in the higher rank races.
Damn, you figured me out.

Seriously though, I didn't beat any staff ghost yet. So I automatically assumed you're way better than me. Didn't look at the leaderboards. Honest :D . And I usually fare better in time trial than in actual races - I suck at racing strategy :(.

In regards to BS: It's true for me as well. What I didn't like in 150cc upwards though is that you seem to be on basic items - rarely did I get something that's not a mushroom.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Really loving this game! Of course, the wiimote and nunchuck is the best way to play the game but I don't think the wheel sucks, it's just not as accurate as a thumb stick.

I'll say it again - the new levels are amazing!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Davidion said:

I'm in the same boat.

I actually think this game has the least cheating AI of the entire series.

I played a marathon session last night after not picking up the game for a couple weeks and there's definitely some strange stuff going on. I'm used to seeing the 7000+ racers jump out ahead never to see them again and I have yet to see anyone using an infinite item hack but I did see what looked like a lot of weird teleporting around the track.

Unless there's some major warppipe-like shortcuts on some tracks that I'm not aware of (I'm sure there's a couple I haven't found yet) I don't know how to explain some of what was going on. On Bowser's Castle 64 I watched as someone who was a good 5 seconds behind me on the straightaway leading to the finish line suddenly appeared 3 or 4 seconds ahead of me like he fell off the track and got droped back in but there's no drop where he appeared(?). Whatever was happening also seemed to glitch the HUD showing what place I was in as sometimes I would show as being in second when there were clearly two racers ahead of me only to correct itself a few seconds later.

I also noticed that a couple of the racers that seemed to be jumping around the track dropped out suddenly in the middle of races. Was it coincidence, bad connections or some side effect of whatever they were doing is what I'm trying to figure out but at the end of the day the cheaters (if that's what they are) don't have as great an impact on the game since they usually have such high scores that coming in second to them nets you about the same as you'd get coming in first without them racing. I say let them have whatever joy they derive from winning every race without seeing another living soul (why are they playing online again?).

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Saint Gregory said:
Unless there's some major warppipe-like shortcuts on some tracks that I'm not aware of (I'm sure there's a couple I haven't found yet) I don't know how to explain some of what was going on. On Bowser's Castle 64 I watched as someone who was a good 5 seconds behind me on the straightaway leading to the finish line suddenly appeared 3 or 4 seconds ahead of me like he fell off the track and got droped back in but there's no drop where he appeared(?). Whatever was happening also seemed to glitch the HUD showing what place I was in as sometimes I would show as being in second when there were clearly two racers ahead of me only to correct itself a few seconds later.
I've noticed this as well, on DK Jungle Parkway, I was at the portion of the level where you come out of the cave and someone was still in the cave, but it looked like he flew up through the ground and appeared ahead of me. :S

pakkit

Banned
The lag occasionally messes up players locations, and there have been instances where I thought I was way in front of the pack only to get second as a player warps further and further ahead of me during a 15 second period. I doubt it's cheating, but it is a bit of a pisser.

These tournaments are rocking, even if I don't have the will power/awesomeness to break the top 10's.

crispyben

It seems these glitches are caused by laggy conections, which forces the game to extrapolate on the positions of the player, then to heavily correct once it receives actual data, hence the severe warping, the weird ranking or the phantom victory.

I've never encountered any of those glitches online before.

The worst it gets is like the first 1-2 seconds, it can get a little choppy if I'm doing Online mode with someone else (2p)

Ah, O.K. I had no idea that the game handles lag that way. I always associated connection lag with slowdown but those guys who were warping were the same ones who were being dropped from races (one guy lost over 300 points - ouch!). It's good to know that the game isn't being taken over by cheaters since it's my favorite online racer ATM.

Davidion

Playing more worldwide as opposed to regional races now, which is definitely harder.

Someone just beat me for first place then lagged out AFTER crossing the finish line...and it registered as a lag out for him instead of a win.

Someone should really do something about that.

Top Bottom