• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

Dragmire said:
Sure you can. ;p I start off the same way Capndrake described. After that, I kind of improvised and tried a few different ways.

Missed that post. His strategy starts off the same as mine but I never tried going right at the second one instead of waiting for it to come after me. That would save a ton of time :D

Teknoman

Milabrega said:
Racing. Would work something like this. Everyone signs up, then we split into atleast 2 divisions (more if we haven larger participation) of no greater than 6 people (since ya know, coordinated that many people is going to be tough enough) . Those divisions each race the default 8 nintendo GP's. We use a point system based on everyones ranking in each of those GP's. If its only 2 divisions of 6, the top 3 would move on to the championship series, where they'll race on 4 custom GP's using the same point system.

Would this be online or would this some crazy time trial ranking thing? Not that I have any objections to time trials, but racing GAF has always been crazy fun...and really competitive :D

Dragmire

Saint Gregory said:
Missed that post. His strategy starts off the same as mine but I never tried going right at the second one instead of waiting for it to come after me. That would save a ton of time :D
Yeah. Gotta boost right into the second one when it comes down. Then I usually let the last two come at me towards the edge. That's how I ended up hitting them both and knocking them off. It takes a lot of retries of course.

hclflow

Cheez-It said:
I'm sure it has been said but...

fuck all the people who vote for the same shitty course multiple times in a row. Luigi Circuit. BLARG! Wanted to reach through the screen and STRANGLE THEM.

/rant

When there are douches that keep picking Luigi Circuit and Coconut Mall, I just pick Rainbow Road until they leave thoroughly ravaged and disgusted.

Dragmire

hclflow said:
When there are douches that keep picking Luigi Circuit and Coconut Mall, I just pick Rainbow Road until they leave thoroughly ravaged and disgusted.
Hey, the Wii-playing grandmas have their favorites and you have yours.

Milabrega

Teknoman said:
Would this be online or would this some crazy time trial ranking thing? Not that I have any objections to time trials, but racing GAF has always been crazy fun...and really competitive :D

On line of course.

crispyben

Tenbatsu said:
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nintendo is removing those times from the leaderboards, but still... Anyway, I can barely get a sub-minute time for the new competition while the world record is now something like 13"5XX :lol

crispyben said:
So, a new groundbreaking/gamebreaking shortcut has been found for Grumble Volcano! This is just ridiculous. I love to race on GV online, but if it means losing to such jokers...
Well, blame Nintendo. And nearly every MK has a track with such a ridiculous shortcut. (Wario Stadium in MK64, Beach in MK SNES)

You don't even want to see the shortcuts for F-Zero GX (space flying)

nightside

crispyben said:
So, a new groundbreaking/gamebreaking shortcut has been found for Grumble Volcano! This is just ridiculous. I love to race on GV online, but if it means losing to such jokers...

well..to make that shortcut during a race online you shuold have the 3 mushrooms in the first place..then pray for no pow-blocks, no lightning and no blue shells to appear, wich is unlikely....

and the time would be probably be removed from the leaderboard

crispyben said:
This is just an issue for TT - I can't see someone pulling this off in an ongoing match (not to mention he would need a mushroom so he has to do at least one "normal" lap). Although on second thought you could drive back once you have a mushroom :lol .

crispyben

Phife Dawg said:
This is just an issue for TT - I can't see someone pulling this off in an ongoing match (not to mention he would need a mushroom so he has to do at least one "normal" lap). Although on second thought you could drive back once you have a mushroom :lol .
You can't drive back once you get to the ?-blocks, but you don't need a mushroom to do this. Just turn around, dive in the lava, get dropped just before the last jump, hold the throttle and brake, line up accordingly, and get up there.

crispyben said:
In the one video you linked he uses two mushrooms (although he doesn't need the first). You definetly need the second to make it, judging by the vid you get dropped way too far away from the ramp to have enough accel (haven't tried it yet of course).

crispyben

Phife Dawg said:
In the one video you linked he uses two mushrooms (although he doesn't need the first). You definetly need the second to make it, judging by the vid you get dropped way too far away from the ramp to have enough accel (haven't tried it yet of course).
It looks like that, but wouldn't he lose his mushrooms by falling into the lava?

FiRez

How is possible to do the current tourney in 13s?

Those japanese palyers are not human

My best was 35s and it was for pure luck

crispyben said:
It looks like that, but wouldn't he lose his mushrooms by falling into the lava?
Honestly I don't know - I don't fall into lava during TT that often. But it's definetly not the boost you get after being dropped on the driveway. You can clearly see him stopping before the ramp and then boosting off.

crispyben

Phife Dawg said:
Honestly I don't know - I don't fall into lava during TT that often. But it's definetly not the boost you get after being dropped on the driveway. You can clearly see him stopping before the ramp and then boosting off.
That would be the boost you get by holding brake and throttle, building up blue sparks and letting go...

FiRez said:
How is possible to do the current tourney in 13s?

Those japanese palyers are not human

My best was 35s and it was for pure luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feb1kfwm5zQ
(not me, I only got 19"878, and luck was definitely a factor)

crispyben said:
That would be the boost you get by holding brake and throttle, building up blue sparks and letting go...
Oh, never heard of that one before. I thought you meant the boost you get by timing your button press when you get dropped on the road.

How do you do it?

crispyben

Phife Dawg said:
Oh, never heard of that one before. I thought you meant the boost you get by timing your button press when you get dropped on the road.

How do you do it?
Brake till you start going backwards, then accelerate while still braking. You're then able to turn around on the spot, and blue sparks build up. Once they've come, you let go of the brake and get a boost in whichever direction you're facing. It's easier done than said...

crispyben said:
Brake till you start going backwards, then accelerate while still braking. You're then able to turn around on the spot, and blue sparks build up. Once they've come, you let go of the brake and get a boost in whichever direction you're facing. It's easier done than said...
Thanks, will have to try that out sometime.

crispyben said:
This technique makes the current competition easier too.
Good call, but somehow I expected to have more fun with the competition. I have no urge to improve my time at all - dunno why. Definetly the weakest competition yet for me.

I got this game a few days ago, and added a few Friend Codes. However, all I see in my Friend Roster is a bunch of question marks. The manual says something about registering them again, and that I should try to do it when the people I'm adding are also online. That sounds...stupid.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind.

ruffles

This game needs more love. :)

Join the IRC so we can create a room.

server: irc.globalgamers.net
channel #gaf_wfc

One web based method of getting on:

http://www.globalgamers.net/?p=webchat
use gaf_wfc as the channel name.

Chatzilla seems to work as well in which to get to us you would type "/server irc.globalgamers.net" and then "/join #gaf_wfc".

And this is another link to a web based version:

http://irc.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=GlobalGamers&room=#GAF_WFC
just type in your nick.

Pretty sure you can get on through pidgin as well if you happen to use that already.

Makes things a lot more convenient to set up games and stuff.

nli10

Noticed the GV shortcut times while looking at beating the expert ghost on that track. My GF seemed convinced I was going to sit there and practice it until I could do it too... :lol

Been playing 150cc MM instead, but it just seems to border on unfair most of the time and my wins seem to be flukey more than skill based. Think i'll stick to item free Vs matches and time trials once I've unlocked everything.

Christine

nli10 said:
Noticed the GV shortcut times while looking at beating the expert ghost on that track. My GF seemed convinced I was going to sit there and practice it until I could do it too... :lol

Been playing 150cc MM instead, but it just seems to border on unfair most of the time and my wins seem to be flukey more than skill based. Think i'll stick to item free Vs matches and time trials once I've unlocked everything.

If you just want to unlock everything, don't worry about getting star ratings in mirror. You only need to get the 1st place trophy for the unlockables in that class, the stars are just for your online display name.

crispyben

TwinIonEngines said:
If you just want to unlock everything, don't worry about getting star ratings in mirror. You only need to get the 1st place trophy for the unlockables in that class, the stars are just for your online display name.
I think you need star ratings to unlock Dry Bowser, among others...

pakkit

Banned
crispyben said:
Will we start seeing
reverse online races
?
I've been in two of those, although your milage may vary. There was one day where I joined a group and every single race we did was either reverse or mirrored.

Really excited for a bikeless tournament.

Tournaments > Mission Mode DS.

This game hasn't left my Wii except for a week when I rented Boom Blox. I really can't understand the negativity this entry caught, except from the series-long rubberbanding haters.

crispyben

pakkit said:
I've been in two of those, although your milage may vary. There was one day where I joined a group and every single race we did was either reverse or mirrored.
Which tracks did you race in reverse? Was there any added equipment?

Magique

Hey guys.

How do I do this?

Mario Kart Wii is now out in Europe and Japan, and it's been confirmed that - for the first time - players can now simply add a "friend" to their roster of up to 30 by simply selecting an option after competing against a random person online.

They then become a friend without the manual code exchange process. In further friend features, the included Mario Kart Channel can be used to send an invitation to the Wii Message Board of players' Wii Friends.

crispyben

In the Mario Kart Channel, there are rotating messages at the bottom of the menu, and one of them is "Invite friends from your Wii message board"...

mepaco

Well, I'm not sure how they did it but I ran across my first cheater tonight. His screen name was ihack@you. He joined our group (placed at the back of the pack) and as soon as the race started, activated a star, ran into everybody, and continued to activate stars throughout the entire race.

I did a quick google search and found a couple of other people complaining about similar incidents but didn't see anyone talk about how it happened. Have any of you encountered this? Are they using modded consoles?

EDIT:
Guess I'm not the only one
SuperAndroid17 said:
encountered some hackers today

someone named Hack@you and V , they used an infinite star hack and tried harrassing everyone . It sucked, fucking nintendo!! fix ur game

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
mepaco said:
Well, I'm not sure how they did it but I ran across my first cheater tonight. His screen name was ihack@you. He joined our group (placed at the back of the pack) and as soon as the race started, activated a star, ran into everybody, and continued to activate stars throughout the entire race.

I did a quick google search and found a couple of other people complaining about similar incidents but didn't see anyone talk about how it happened. Have any of you encountered this? Are they using modded consoles?

I'm assuming they are using modded consoles and modified "burns" of the game... that or someone release a memory editing cheating program and I haven't heard of it yet.

Top Bottom